“Friendly staff. Hotel needs updating.” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport

Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport
Ranked #56 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto, Canada
“Friendly staff. Hotel needs updating.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

By all accounts, the staff were very friendly and helpful during my stay.

As noted in a few previous reviews the air circulation in the rooms are in need of updating. Windows in the rooms do not open and the AC unti working at full capacity was not strong enough to cool the room or get the musty smell out of the air. The bathroom fan didn't seem to work in my room.

Nice hotel lobby bar.

Good stay, good staff, but rooms need some updating to get better air flow and circulation.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank stewbomber
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Thanks for staying with us and sharing your feedback on your stay! I'm pleased that you said you had a good stay and we have good staff as we work hard on having great staff culture to have incredibly friendly staff and a spotlessly clean and well maintained hotel that guest love. As a Holiday Inn we do have a full service restaurant and lounge that we think is great place to relax and have a good bite or just chill and watch the game. It has been a warm summer and that has made it difficult for our PTAC units to keep up! You will be glad to know that we will be going through some room upgrades in the near future which will make us that much better! Thanks for staying with us and hope to see you soon.
Cheers
DougGM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I was in Toronto for two days attending a video shoot. I stayed at the Holiday Inn near the airport on Dixon Road.

The room was comfortable and quiet. Nothing fancy, but reasonable for the price. The room was clean and everything worked in the room, the bed was comfortable and there was a nice big flat-screen TV. I ate three times in the dining room and all three meals were fine. The breakfast buffet was very hearty.

On my first night I had two friends visit and we had dinner in the restaurant. When they were leaving, they had trouble getting out of the parking lot. They paid at the automated machine, but it still wouldn’t open the gate. They had to bring their ticket inside to the front desk (it was pouring rain and they got soaked running from the car to the hotel lobby). Seemed like a big deal just for stopping by and having dinner with me. Not very friendly service, but the hotel must have had previous issues with people parking in the lot??? Be sure you give them your license plate number for the video service to open the parking gate.

I would probably stay here again, but due to the parking issue, most likely have my friends pick me up and dine somewhere else to avoid the parking hassle.

Room Tip: My room faced the airport, but I didn't have any issues with noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this review, 1 July 2014
Thanks for your feedback on your recent stay with us! I'm glad that you found the hotel comfortable and enjoyed our dining room! Our culinary team and service team work hard to deliver a dining experience that we can be proud off. As for the parking sorry to hear there was an issue with your guests as the system is a license plate recognition system where it actually takes a picture of your plate and then your plate is registered at time of check in or as you eluded to visiting guests pay at Kiosk in the lobby. When exiting the camera reads the plate and gate opens. I'm assuming in this case the plate was not read correctly upon exiting and that is where the issues is. We do apologize for that and hope that next time you do stay and dine with us again and just let the dining room waiter know and they will take care of you!!
Cheers
Bangor, Maine
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

I spent one night here before flying out of the Toronto Airport.

Check in was pleasant. Nice lobby.

The room was a bit dated..................and smelled very musty. With no windows that would open, I had no choice but leave it like it was.

The A/C is not thermostatically controlled. It is just a dial that you turn on the unit. Very outdated and hard to manage the correct temps.

Although, I had the A/C up to full blast, it was still too warm in the room - and I was not there on a really hot night. The A/C was obviously not working.

OK spot for one night...........but I would not want more than that.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thanks for sharing your comments with us as we take all comments as constructive feedback! You will be pleased to know that the hotel is slated for some upgrades focusing on the guest touch areas of the hotel to help with what you called dated product. Our team works very hard to have incredibly friendly employees with a hotel that is spotlessly clean and well maintained! Our full service amenities including the only hotel with a full size indoor and outdoor pool as well as large fitness center makes us an ideal place to stay while traveling in and out of Pearson International Airport! Our complementary shuttle runs every 20 minutes 24 hrs a day so we have your transportation covered!!
Brixham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

Checked in to this hotel after an 8 hour flight. First impression was that it was dated but not unacceptable. The guy on the desk was excellent and very helpful, so far this was looking like a reasonable choice of hotel. One hour later the hotel suffered a power cut, we were assured several times that the power company had been contacted and 'they were on their way' - they never arrived. Consequently we had no power, no lighting, no air conditioning, no food and no hot water. During the night the management had managed to print out our bill (full price) and put it under the door, they did not however manage to print out an apology for the inconvenience. Due to the fact we had NO facilities in the hotel we checked out early in the morning. We asked the guy on the desk why we had not received an apology along with the bill and a reduction in the rate for the services not received. We were informed it was 'not their fault' and if we had a problem write to the hotel. In a country where service is considered to be all important we found this attitude to be appalling. The shame about it all is that the hotel would have been good value for money, but needless to say Holiday Inn will never see any more of my money!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Thanks for sharing your feedback with us. Our team is passionate about our hotel and its services. As per your note we did experience a power outage that was caused by a violent storm system that ripped through the area that caused a lot of damage and many areas with out power. For that reason the power company was backed up trying to help restore power. Our back up generator systems did all work properly but they are meant as back up only and run a few key things such as one elevator. It was unforeseen and we did our best to manage through the outage and offered free coffee water and soft drinks throughout the day as well as a complimentary cold breakfast buffet! Once again we do apologize for the inconvenience that was caused.
DougGM

Travellers are raving about these Toronto hotels

London, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

Holiday Inn ($139 for the night we got back from a trip, and three weeks' parking. Very good deal.)

We looked for a snazzy b'fast place, but nothing reachable that wouldn't have a big Saturday lineup, so we ate here. Perfect Eggs Benedict, so we think we should have had supper the night before as well.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Thanks for sharing your comments with us and I agree the parking deal is a good deal! I'm glad that you found our full service hotel a great place to rest from returning from your trip! We do have a very good dining room and actually just changed our dinner menu! I'm glad that your Eggs Benedict met your expectations as our culinary team aim hard not to be just an average dining room but to be a good dining room that our guest love!
Cheers till your next visit!
Doug
Isle of Man
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

I was very disappointed with this hotel. I always read reviews before I book but my experience here made me wonder if I stayed in the same place as other reviewers. I'm not overly picky with airport hotels- I just expect cleanliness, friendliness, quietness, and since we often stay at the Holiday Inn chain I thought I wouldn't be disappointed. The shuttle bus from the airport arrived promptly. The situation of the hotel is not inspiring, but it's an airport hotel after all. The check in was reasonably efficient and the staff helpful and friendly but there my favourable impression ceased.
We were on the 7th floor. There were no windows, and the corridor was gloomy with a ceiling which felt too low. Neither did it look particularly clean, with tatty wallpaper and a grubby looking carpet, so not a good first impression. Our room was nothing more than OK. It neither smelled nor looked particularly clean. On the plus side the beds were comfy, and 24 hour wifi was free, but the room had 70's decor and was not large, but dark and depressing. We could only get paying channels or advertising on the TV. The bathroom was small, cramped and, worst of all, someone else's dark hairs lurked in the bathtub. The windows wouldn't open, of course, so we tried to cool the place down with the in room A/C but soon abandoned this because the fan was so noisy it sounded like an airplane taking off. We should have complained I suppose, but we were tired after a busy week. There is a bar/restaurant but it wasn't very appealing to our tastes so we walked to a nearby Keg restaurant which cheered us up a little as the meal was great.
Breakfast the next day was 'free' but really I could have given it a miss. The 'hot' food was merely warm, some of the crockery and glassware had not been washed properly- something which always puts me off eating.
I was told that the airport shuttle the next day was 'first come, first served' which alarmed me a little, but in the event there wasn't a problem. The shuttle leaves every 20 minutes and the driver was friendly and helpful. Would I stay there again? In all honesty, no, not until the place has had an upgrade. Shame really, as the Holiday Inn chain is usually reliable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We do pride ourselves on our service to be friendly and provide a hotel that is spotlessly clean and well maintained. I'm sorry that in this case we did not live up to your expectations. Our hotel is slated for renovations later this year and we are focusing on our guest touch areas including our corridors! I hope that you get a chance to stay with us again at some point after we do our facility upgrades as I know with our great staff and upgraded product we will more than exceed your expectations of a Airport Hotel!
Thunder Bay, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Overall I have to say this was a good stay. Two large pools in and out door ,a whirl pool, also a fairly decent exercise room. For me there was enough free weights and 3 machines and bout 8 cardio machines.If your a work out nut you may not be that happy.
The bar and dinning room staff are very good and try to help you with what ever they can.
The room I had was not overly large nor small .It would be just enough room for 2 people .It was very well kept I thought.Clean carpets ,bed sheets ,great king bed ,lots of good pillows and lots of towels as well a nice shower.Nothing really fancy but nice and clean. A nice flat screen TV and good size as well.
The food overall was good and nice portions ,although there was an issue with the ribs but the staff addressed it right away .
The only one negative thing that could be said is there is one elevator (of the many that are there) that can not be trusted LOL. It seems to go where it wants to.It was getting to be a conversation piece.Once you ride it you will know .LOL at first it was kinda fun.
To all the Staff keep up the good work ,keep up the way you work with people as you made me feel like a valued customer .

Room Tip: The room I had on the 8th floor was very quiet.I never heard on any one complaining .
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Doug L, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Thanks for staying with us and sharing your feedback as we appreciate your business as well as your comments! Our team works hard to deliver a hotel that is spotlessly clean and well maintained a great hotel that guests love! We are a full service hotel that is the only hotel at Toronto's International Airport that does have two full size pools one indoors and one out as you mentioned. I'm pleased to hear that you were able to take advantage of our many amenities at the hotel. Our elevators like everything at times do seem to have a mind of there own but again we work hard with our service company to keep them in good working condition! Cheers till your next visit DougGM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Toronto
The Westin Toronto Airport
#51 of 132 in Toronto
Etobicoke
Courtyard Toronto Airport
Courtyard Toronto Airport
#65 of 132 in Toronto

Been to Holiday Inn Toronto International Airport? Share your experiences!