“Pretty grotty area”

Ambassador Inn Downtown Toronto Bed and Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Ambassador Inn Downtown Toronto Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #67 of 114 Toronto B&B and Inns
Galway, Ireland
“Pretty grotty area”
Reviewed 4 September 2007

When I first called this B&B, they siad they had one B&B room left & as the film festival & some medical conferance was going on I had to reserve quick quick quick.

I booked it, but when II got there, they said they were going to upgrade me to a nicer suite - which was cool of them, even though I was thinking, 'I thought you had no more rooms'.

It's very expensive though - work was paying for it, so I wasn't too bothered. Breakfast area is dark & dingy & each night there would be 'ladies of the night' outside the place. It seemed pretty safe. I would recommend looking elsewhere, but if all came to all, you could stay here.

• Stayed September 2006, travelled solo
1 Thank john54321

Couples
julia232
Reviewed 31 August 2007

I have never had nightmare until i stayed in Amabassador Inn.At first sight,the house was like jail.It was simply built by bricks,and there was a kind of bad smell when I got into the Inn. lots of garbage men,drug dealers and hookers around that area,especially at night,and that makes you nervous every second.
The advertising is misleaded,and the photos of all the rooms were made by photoshops.That is why the rooms on the website were totally different from the reality.I felt i was cheated.
For booking the room,i had paid by my credit card before i got Toronto.When i arrived there without seeing the room,i decided to leave this place.It was really ridiculous that the owner told me I had to pay the cancellation penalty for one day fee.
This Inn was full of cheating.Don't stay there.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank julia232

Travellers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Arizona
Reviewed 23 May 2007

The advertising is very misleading, this is a bargain basement place in a rather bad area with the bare minimum in room amenities. Unfortunately the price does not reflect the level. The use of the word "luxurious" is incorrect by anyone's standards.

I had a sinking feeling as soon as I arrived--the front is run down with broken steps and there was graffiti on the outside of the building. The inside is not at all charming.

I have a hard time believing some of the posted positive reviews of this place. To me, it was grim. There were flophouses in the immediate area with signs advertising $35/night on the windows. This place did not seem very different from the outside.

The room door locks are simple little push buttons in the doorknobs; this is not enough security and left me feeling nervous given the neighborhood (many street people and other tough-looking types). There were shards of glass on the carpet under the window that made me wonder if it had been broken in the recent past.

The saving features were (1) reasonably clean room and (2) comfortable bed. The noise from outside was low but the walls were thin and I was aware of every person walking up and down the hallway.

I can't comment on the breakfast... the idea of instant coffee in a windowless basement was so unattractive that I skipped. There are a lot of good cafes in Toronto and I needed to get away from this cheerless place!

• Liked — mattress ok.
  • Disliked — Unpleasant place, minimal amenities, location
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
4 Thank DarwinArizona
Newport News, VA
Reviewed 4 April 2007

We stayed at the Ambassador in last February. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Upon arrival due to some booking confusion, they kindly upgraded our room to one of the larger nicer rooms at the same discounted price (February appears to be the slow season). The Ambassador Inn has been very expertly remodeled and the rooms are charming especially with the ceramic/stone tiled bathrooms and jacuzzis. All in all, it was a very enjoyable experience which is why I rated it at 4 dots. The rest of the review concerns why I did not rate it at 5 dots:

Firstly, although discounted for the season the price struck me as somewhat high given the following lack of amenities that you might find elsewhere:

1) There was no DVD/VCR player in the room. Canada is a cold place in the winter and it snowed while we were there. I had brought DVDs in expectation of potentially being snowed in. Fortunately I also brought my own portable player that I use in Airports.

2) There was no internal thermistat in the room (that I could find). They do supply a heating unit that you can plug in for additional heat but even Motel 6 allows you to adjust the heat and air conditioning. The room was neither too hot or too cold given the weather but it would have been much more of an issue in excessively hot or cold weather.

3) Breakfast. I would say that if you stick to the fruits, cereals, and croissants you'll be very satisfied. As for French Toast and Pancakes, because of the friendliness of the staff I would give them an A for effort, but clearly IHOP they are not.

On the positive side, the things I liked most about the Ambassador Inn are:

1) Well remodeled and very clean
2) Big Rooms available with nice bathrooms
3) Convenient location (public transportation, restaurants, convenience shops)
4) Friendly helpful staff

The Ambassador Inn is a nice place with a friendly staff that aims to please. (Can't say that enough) For me, moreso than anything else, good service makes for an above average review-- thus I give it 4 stars (*)s.

• Liked — Friendly, helpful staff that aims to please
  • Disliked — Slightly pricey, missing a few amenities
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank vision67
west
Reviewed 30 July 2006

thank you very much for the delightful stay, lovely and quiet rooms. we enjoyed very much the peacefulness, hospitality
and loved your wonderful breakfast.

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Disliked — na
  • Tips/Secrets — na
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled on business
18 Thank annlee
London, ON
Reviewed 24 June 2006

Okay...I'm not sure where everybody else stayed, but our experience was not that great. First, the room was WAY over-priced. Second, the breakfast was disgusting - I've never had greasier french toast in my life. There were only two cereals to choose from and 3 croissants. From the outside, the place looked like a dump - no visible signage...and why don't they accept Toronto residents? There was nothing about this B&B that you could not get for the same or better price at a hotel. In addition, we found the staff pushy and overbearing. We were very disappointed.

• Stayed June 2006
26 Thank shadow1972London_ON
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 21 June 2006

We have stayed here three times so far. What we like best is the homey feeling. Every time we come back, it feels like home coming. You will have to stay here to know what we are talking about. Take a look at “our room” – Room #303. Isn’t it cute? By the way, Ambassador Inn’s room rates are from over $100 and up. We love their honeymoon rooms with heart-shape double Jacuzzi tubs. Even though they are over $300 per night, they could be over $800 easily in a downtown hotel. Ambassador Inn is not cheap. They have no reason to be cheap. Their bedding sets are of the same superb quality as the ones we paid over $400 for. Whether you choose to stay in a Bronze Room for lower cost or in a Platinum Stay for style, you get the best value for your money.

• Stayed June 2006