I stayed in the hotel for a short while just to see if this will be my home away from home whenever I travel to Toronto or recommend this hotel to friends and families. As a person who works in the customer service industry (particularly in the same industry) and actually had an educational background on marketing I would say the hotel has potential but...
1) Checking in takes a while. An employee or supervisor should be a shadow mentor for the coop front desk personnels since they are on the job training. Do not wait for the coop staff to ask for your help. Observe everything that they do. Good thing I work in the same industry so it makes me more patient and I do understand the situation. I sent an email for the request weeks in advance and was assured by the person who sent me back the email that this request was forwarded. I called on the same day hours before the 3pm check time just to check and I was assured again of the request was noted down. In our company we give out some perks or freebies just in case the check in takes so long. Just give something to make them feel special.
2) Since part of my job then as a consultant was to observe improvements in businesses the moment I step in the establishment even trivial or small things matter. Underneath the bed sheet it shows how it was not well cleaned. I know because mine was a twin bed so I compare the the beds. Underneath the sheet it wasn't smooth and there was a pebble like feel to it. I do not want to look into it and see what I might find so I just use the other bed. Maybe I should bring my towels along because it were so course and hard that it might irritate your skin. Not all of it but 50% of the towels.
3) TV program selection. Not enough program. I cannot recommend to bring your ipad because I saw the reviews that wifi is not free (other hotels are free) and generally world ranking in internet bandwidth in Canada is slower compared to South Korea, USA, etc. (please see publications online for internet bandwidth in different countries). So bring maybe a dvd and your laptop to watch movies instead. I was informed by a hotel staff that they are trying to improve on this by changing the cable subscriber. I hope it is now up and working for the guests to have more tv program selections.
4) Some of the non-front desk staff are very friendly and helpful but .....the front desk staff need some improvement. The best asset in a business aside from financial liquidity is its people especially your frontrunner or gatekeepers because whatever you say or do will reflect the company's vision and mission. The coop staff were very helpful but one of the female front desk need to be trained again or attend extensive seminar for customer service. What is customer service? What does it really mean? In times of pressure it shows your true demeanor and upbringing. Is there grace under pressure? I will not name her here but for sure you will know and observe on your own. It will eventually show. Aferall manners is manners. This is the biggest factor why I was considering not to go back to the hotel but it would be unfair to the other staff who had done a great job. It still boils down to accountability. Who is responsible for her training then and now? I always consider at customer service in rendering FIRST CLASS no matter how the industry categorized my company as long as I consider my company like my own (meaning loving it) for sure a positive outcome will show for sure.
5) Be true to whatever you have in your website especially the price. Put a small caption at the bottom if price changes everyday for some people not in the industry. They do not know this. Honesty and reputation are one of the most integral part of business.
Aside from this I still need to experience room service and try lunch/dinner at the hotel. The staff cannot control anyway how other guests bang the doors (as if they do not have a door at home but just curtains). I think proper branding and really finding your niche/target market to filter the guests for the hotel towards hotel image. The breakfast was just okay. I think SWOT analysis should be taken into account for the business to prosper. It has great potential but the question is will it just be a potential? Let this be a challenge for the management and the owners.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Bond Place Hotel Downtown Toronto is ideally located in the heart of downtown Toronto at Yonge and Dundas Square. The Hotel is across the street from the Eaton Centre and steps away from the Toronto Theatre District, including the Canon Theatre, Massey Hall, Elgin/Winter Garden Theatre, The Panasonic Theatre, and other local area attractions. Many downtown corporate and government offices, colleges and universities, are within walking distance. The Hotel is also central to downtown Toronto hospitals, with St. Michael's Hospital located across the street. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Southall Travel, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Bond Place Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bond Place Hotel Toronto
- Hotel Bond Place
- Bond Place Toronto