“A hotel worth the stay but need some more improvement”
Review of Bond Place Hotel

Bond Place Hotel
Ranked #56 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 4 June 2014

I stayed in the hotel for a short while just to see if this will be my home away from home whenever I travel to Toronto or recommend this hotel to friends and families. As a person who works in the customer service industry (particularly in the same industry) and actually had an educational background on marketing I would say the hotel has potential but...

1) Checking in takes a while. An employee or supervisor should be a shadow mentor for the coop front desk personnels since they are on the job training. Do not wait for the coop staff to ask for your help. Observe everything that they do. Good thing I work in the same industry so it makes me more patient and I do understand the situation. I sent an email for the request weeks in advance and was assured by the person who sent me back the email that this request was forwarded. I called on the same day hours before the 3pm check time just to check and I was assured again of the request was noted down. In our company we give out some perks or freebies just in case the check in takes so long. Just give something to make them feel special.

2) Since part of my job then as a consultant was to observe improvements in businesses the moment I step in the establishment even trivial or small things matter. Underneath the bed sheet it shows how it was not well cleaned. I know because mine was a twin bed so I compare the the beds. Underneath the sheet it wasn't smooth and there was a pebble like feel to it. I do not want to look into it and see what I might find so I just use the other bed. Maybe I should bring my towels along because it were so course and hard that it might irritate your skin. Not all of it but 50% of the towels.

3) TV program selection. Not enough program. I cannot recommend to bring your ipad because I saw the reviews that wifi is not free (other hotels are free) and generally world ranking in internet bandwidth in Canada is slower compared to South Korea, USA, etc. (please see publications online for internet bandwidth in different countries). So bring maybe a dvd and your laptop to watch movies instead. I was informed by a hotel staff that they are trying to improve on this by changing the cable subscriber. I hope it is now up and working for the guests to have more tv program selections.

4) Some of the non-front desk staff are very friendly and helpful but .....the front desk staff need some improvement. The best asset in a business aside from financial liquidity is its people especially your frontrunner or gatekeepers because whatever you say or do will reflect the company's vision and mission. The coop staff were very helpful but one of the female front desk need to be trained again or attend extensive seminar for customer service. What is customer service? What does it really mean? In times of pressure it shows your true demeanor and upbringing. Is there grace under pressure? I will not name her here but for sure you will know and observe on your own. It will eventually show. Aferall manners is manners. This is the biggest factor why I was considering not to go back to the hotel but it would be unfair to the other staff who had done a great job. It still boils down to accountability. Who is responsible for her training then and now? I always consider at customer service in rendering FIRST CLASS no matter how the industry categorized my company as long as I consider my company like my own (meaning loving it) for sure a positive outcome will show for sure.

5) Be true to whatever you have in your website especially the price. Put a small caption at the bottom if price changes everyday for some people not in the industry. They do not know this. Honesty and reputation are one of the most integral part of business.

Aside from this I still need to experience room service and try lunch/dinner at the hotel. The staff cannot control anyway how other guests bang the doors (as if they do not have a door at home but just curtains). I think proper branding and really finding your niche/target market to filter the guests for the hotel towards hotel image. The breakfast was just okay. I think SWOT analysis should be taken into account for the business to prosper. It has great potential but the question is will it just be a potential? Let this be a challenge for the management and the owners.

Goodluck.

Room Tip: Top floor doesn't mean quite. The room is not sound proof for noises outside and plus your next...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
3  Thank businessconsultant01
Serena S, Front Office Manager at Bond Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Businessconsultant01,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay, we appreciate you sharing your valuable feedback and personal experience.

The new management team that is in place is working hard to continue to improve the current teams service as well as hosting training sessions and ensuring customer service is the first priority.

We hope you will be returning to stay with us in the future so that you may experience our changes on your next visit and notice improvements being made on a regular basis.

Again we thank you for your feedback and we hope overall you did enjoy your stay with us.

There are newer reviews for Bond Place Hotel

Reviewed 2 June 2014

The hotel rooms are small but clean. Water for showering was hot. Room had soap, shampoo and conditioner, washcloths and towels and extra pillows in the closet. In some rooms there is a charge for wifi but it is free if you go down to the lobby. Wifi was included in our room. The hotel is on the corner of Bond and Dundas quite close to Yonge. There was an all day music event taking place at Dundas Square. Our room did not overlook the Street and was very quiet for sleeping. We did not try the restaurant nor the exercise room so I can't comment.

We were at this hotel for a wedding and had booked earlier this year to get the "special wedding rate" and we were assured our room would be ready by 1 pm. We arrived to be told our rooms were not ready and would not be available until after 4 pm. The wedding was at 3 and our wedding attire was in the suitcase.! The staff member said they were fully booked the night before and just didn't have time to get the rooms ready. I requested the manager's assistance and a clean room was immediately provided.! Then we were told to park in their underground parking on the other side of Dundas. We drove over there only to be told the lot was full. Then tried the parking lot across the street. We were lucky enough to secure the last spot for $20 but no in/out privileges. This hotel does not include breakfast. It is a very central location and within walking distance to Eaton Centre, Ed Mirvish Theatre, Hardrock Cafe at Yonge and Dundas, Yonge Street sights and sounds, lots of restaurants. I would consider staying at this hotel again but much prefer one that includes breakfast.

Room Tip: We were on the 4th floor. There was no view but the room was very comfy and quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Charlene H
Serena S, Front Office Manager at Bond Place Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Charlene H,

Thank you for sharing your comments and experience with us on Trip Advisor. We love hearing about your stay as your feedback is used to ensure we have continuous improvements made to the service being provided.

Our sincere apologies, that your rooms were not prepared for early check in. Our apologies, as we did not have this request for the group and of course such requests are subject to availability. We will always do our best to meet your requests.

Please note our parking renovation is almost complete and once the entire renovation is finished we will have many more spots available in our garage to provide a better parking area to our very valued guests. We do plan to have it ready for July 2014.

We hope you enjoyed the wedding and are glad to hear you were able to take advantage of the entertainment in the area.

On your next visit to the city please note on our website you can book a bed and breakfast package which would include your breakfast with your room should you prefer it.

Again we thank you for choosing the Bond Place Hotel.

Reviewed 1 June 2014

Toronto is a really large, spread out city but this hotel is pretty central to all of the things we wanted to do. It is right next to the Eaton Center and Dundas Square and the Ed Mirvish theater. The staff was really friendly and helpful. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and would stay here again

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2014

Pleasantly surprised by this hotel as people has said te rooms were small. People who have said this are not well traveled, the rooms are fine!! Staff were friendly and the location was excellent. Would stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Candy235
Reviewed 31 May 2014

we stayed here.... nothing bad to say about it!!

Nothing too exciting either ... but we didn't think Toronto for x mas was our best decision.... the bar straight across the road is strange but handy! (we got the train to Niagara xmas morning and stayed for the night getting the train back boxing day! was perfect)

the hotel is a perfectly decorated and clean base for all city centre access!

the only only downfall for us was being placed in a twin room as a couple!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The Bond Place's location was a major factor in choosing to return there recently. The Eaton Centre is just across Dundas Square as is the subway access, The hotel has been substantially modernised since I stayed there in 2006.

Don't let the price of wifi put you off using this hotel - book online and you get free wifi. I had to query a $10+ amount added to my bill after I had checked out - I received an apology and a refund - I had erroneously been charged for a day of Internet.

I had requested a room with a view and/or a grab rail in the shower. I had a limited view on floor 10 and no grab rail.

Reception staff were extremely good. Concierge was excellent - she even accompanied me when I bought a ticket for the Open Top Bus.

My room was a reasonable size - beds were comfortable and linen was very good. Bathroom was excellent though the water made a moaning noise when I ran a bath!

I struggled with the strange controls on the iron - and had to call reception for help. A maintenance man and a maid arrived and changed my iron for another one - I THINK I was told to turn the switch to off to get the iron to work??

The fridge was definitely over-enthusiastic - it froze my 2litre carton of milk to a solid block. Someone came to sort that out quite quickly but it was 24 hours or more before the fridge was working normally.

The sliding door to the bathroom was immovable. Not a problem since I was on my own though I didn't want to steam up the entire room when I had a shower. That got fixed eventually.

The room was clean - as was the bathroom - but I had a surprise when I dropped something and looked under the bed to retrieve it - there was a thick coating of dust on the floor below both beds.

Despite these minor hitches I would return to the Bond Place if I go back to Toronto.

Room Tip: If you like light displays, then ask for a room which faces Dundas Square.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The location of this hotel is great, close to the Eaton Centre, Dundas Square, coffee shops and restaurants. The rooms are small but clean. An affordable hotel with an excellent location. Donna at the front desk was extremely helpful in arranging tours and getting us a car to the airport. Only ate at the restaurant once, could certainly stand some improvement!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family