“Deceptive Photos”

Ranked #56 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Fort Myers, FL
“Deceptive Photos”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

The photos on-line were what really turned me on to this place while searching Groupon, however the hotel was not as clean or upscale as it was portrayed. There may not have been photos of the hallways as they are extremely tight & lack luster to say the least with haphazard paint jobs. My husband & I went to Toronto for pleasure in mid-June. You could not ask for a better city location. We walked to most our destinations with ease. There were many great restaurants, even open late, in comfortable walking distance. I didn't mind the city noise as much as the toilet flushes and showers in adjacent rooms. Our own bathroom had a sliding door which did not really close. The room was very tight. I didn't attempt the downstairs 'restaurant' as it didn't look very worth it. The parking situation was a little confusing; the garage only took cash, you could pay by card at the desk, or charge it to your room. The desk clerks & concierge were very helpful. Make sure to grab the little cards by the front for attractions. We got 6 free bracelets at the Hockey Hall of Fame by showing the card! If you are looking for somewhere safe, affordable, with a great location to simply sleep in this is the place.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank SammyDJo
Serena S, Front Office Manager at Bond Place Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Dear SammyDJo,

Thank you for sharing your experience and taking the time to review our hotel. Your feedback is appreciated as it allows us to continue to improve our product and service on a regular basis.

We truly are pleased you found the location very central and close to entertainment and shopping. Also we are pleased that the staff and concierge were able to make your stay that much better.

Please know the carpets are being replaced in the corridors to brighten them up, and most floors have been completed, as well as painting and touch up maintenance currently in the process of being completed.

We thank you again for sharing your comments and Thank you for choosing to stay with us, we hope you will visit us again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (440)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 June 2014

I also stayed at the hotel this month (June 2014) with LiliXi, who submitted a review recently.

To clarify, the extra charges we received were not the expected "$250 deposit" that the hotel charges. That was clearly stated on the web site, and we did not have an issue with that.

In this case, the hotel had added additional, unauthorized charges beyond these expected charges (i.e., $250 deposit + plus room fees and taxes + any incidentals). The extra charges were, indeed, incorrectly added.

As for the outcome of this situation, everything is now OK.

The hotel took care of (most of) this issue, but we had to ask our credit card company to contact the hotel directly to take off other pending charges (the extra ones that were, indeed, unauthorized). The allowable charges had already posted. The pending charges were mistakes on the hotel's part.

The situation is now remedied, the charges have been removed by our credit card company, but it was not without a great deal of inconvenience when trying to explain things to the hotel staff. The hotel staff consistently acted defensive instead of being accommodating—with one exception of a very helpful manager at the front desk. We simply wanted to see that our issues were being addressed with care.

Certainly, as others have stated, the rooms are extremely clean. I was happy with that aspect of our stay. Even though the rooms are quite nice, it is unlikely that we'll stay again in the future.

Room Tip: The Dundas St. view is noisy at times, but pretty.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MikeXiou
Serena S, Front Office Manager at Bond Place Hotel, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear MikeXiou,

Thank you for your review and your comments. As I mentioned we appreciate hearing your reviews so we can ensure improvements take place regularly.

Thank you for sharing that you stayed with Lili, and I am glad to hear everything was resolved. I was unable to locate your reservation to review it and see how anything additional could have been placed on your account. Generally if your credit card was contacted this is related to "Holds or Authorizations" placed on your credit card. I was not made aware of any adjustments and all adjustments to invoices must be approved and reviewed by myself and the accounting department.

My apology that any errors occurred and that they affected your stay and experience with us. We truly pride ourselves on offering the best possible service we can and would like to assure you that this is not the norm.

I would love to hear back from either yourself or Lili to ensure this issue is not ever repeated in the future as well as understanding what exactly had occurred.

Thank you again for sharing your comments and we would really love to have you stay again in the future should you reconsider. Please get in touch with us so that we can ensure such is resolved. Please request to speak with myself Serena by calling :Hotel direct (416) 362-6061
Mandurah, Australia
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The 4 of us enjoyed our 3 day stay here in downtown Toronto. The Location was great for the shopping/eating, drinking & entertainment aspects.
The rooms were comfortable & ample room for our luggage. Also very clean.
Would like to thank Serena, front office manager who assisted us with important transfer information prior to our arrival, it certainly made our airport transfers hassle free.
would stay there again & definitely recommend it.

Room Tip: high floor have less road noise
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear fej49,

Thank you so much for sharing your review with us on Trip Advisor. We love hearing about your stay and were happy to hear you enjoyed downtown Toronto and our hotel!

Thank you for sharing your lovely note, I was more than pleased to assist you and am glad to hear that you found it useful.

We pride ourselves on giving great service and truly want to see all our guests depart with a smile!

We hope you will be staying with us again in the near future!

Thank you for choosing the Bond Place Hotel.
Dublin
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here with 2 friends in june and it was a good choice.
The location is amazing right off Dundas square with the Eaton centre and lots of amazing restaurants literally a minute away.
The rooms were clean and the beds were extremely comfortable!
The staff were friendly and helpful especially the porter in the lobby .
Next time I'm in Toronto , I will definitely stay here.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank LauraAnneDublin
Dear LauraAnneDublin,

Thank you for sharing your fantastic review. We really appreciate hearing our guests had a great stay and that you were able to take full advantage of our location and the entertainment/dining so close to our front door.

Thank you as well for your comments regarding Zia - the porter you mentioned. He is an asset to the team and a great team member!

Your comments will be shared with the team!

Thank you again for sharing your experience and for choosing The Bond Place Hotel!
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The good things:

First, I want to compliment the cleaning staff at this hotel. The room was immaculate. I've never seen a bathroom so clean in ANY hotel, including ones three times as expensive as this one. The room was very nice.

I need to address the service at the front desk. They are cheerful and nice, which is good.

However...

From the time I made the reservations, I felt uneasy about trusting the accuracy of the staff. Some people seemed more knowledgeable than others. Some seemed to not know how to handle guests' questions. This made me feel a bit cautious in my correspondences with the reservation/front desk staff. Unfortunately, I discovered some erroneous charges on my bill, before and after our stay. A manager DID take care of this, but the funds will be held on my credit card for another few days. I'm happy the manager responded to this problem in kind, but I did have to urge him to "make this right" in some form. He did not offer it, and he did not act as though this was a huge issue, while I thought it was. Finally, he admitted that the problem was their fault (because it was), and made some good-faith adjustments to help alleviate the annoyances surrounding this issue.

If you book this hotel, just be sure to watch your credit card closely for extra charges or other problems.

Overall:

Our stay was generally good, but the charges need to be correct AT ALL TIMES. A customer should not have to worry (constantly) about accuracy when it comes to the bill. For example, I'm now left waiting for erroneous charges to "fall off." In the meantime, my funds are being held in limbo. The hotel told me to call my credit card company, but at this point it's not worth the additional hassle. It would have taken precious time away from our visit to Toronto to deal with that, too. I never feel good about it when people make mistakes and then tell me that I have to deal with the details to fix it. That's a bit annoying to me. Now, after returning home, I'll watch my bill closely to be sure I only pay what I was supposed to pay (and not more). If there's a problem this week, I guess I'll have to call either the hotel and/or credit card and *hope* somebody fixes it.

Perhaps the staff needs more training, I don't know. Most of the staff are generally friendly, but the charges need to be handled with care, if you ask me. A customer needs to feel a sense of security, and this hotel makes me leery. They store paper records, it seems, all over the place, including the front desk. When I saw that, I have to admit that it bothered me. I did not feel that customers' private information (e.g., credit card info, etc.) was well protected or respected.

In addition, we asked for a couple extra pillows. The front desk staff seemed annoyed by this, as did the person who brought the pillows. We had even tipped him, too. I was a little surprised by the impoliteness we received in return. It was like they wanted us to explain WHY we wanted extra pillows. I guess I should just be happy they didn't decline my request?! (Again, some politeness training for the staff might be necessary, unless rude comments are OK there, then by all means carry on!)

Overall, I really liked the nice room and perfect location of the hotel, but I honestly don't think we'll stay there again in the future.

Room Tip: Dundas Street view is advisable if you like a city view. If you are a light sleeper, you won't l...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank LiLi X
Serena S, Front Office Manager at Bond Place Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Dear LiLiXiTravels,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay. We really appreciate hearing about your experience as this assists us to continue to improve our services on a regular daily basis.

Please rest assured that we would not charge your card incorrectly and our security deposit is a normal Pre-authorization placed your credit card as any downtown hotels would do to cover incidental charges or damage should any occurr. This hold is automatically released should you not use it during your stay. Thus a few business days after your departure your issuing bank would release the funds back for your use. Again this is a normal practice and our apologies if you were made to feel uncomfortable at any point regarding the authorization.

Please note we can also take your security deposit in cash or on debit should you prefer not to use a credit card. We do our best to accommodate your needs to ensure you feel at ease during your stay.

Should you have any concerns regarding your invoice please contact myself directly to review. (416)362-6061. I would be more than happy to provide any needed assistance.

We are pleased you found the team to be cheerful and helpful at the front desk as well thank you for your comments regarding the housekeeping team efforts regarding cleanliness. The Bond Place Hotel has been operating for many years and of course we pride ourselves on offering the best service possible.

We hope you will consider us in the future when you next visit Toronto so that you can experience nothing short of a perfect stay.
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

I found the Bond to be a great location. Right behind Dundas Square and convenient to public transportation, it's in the center of just about everything. While nice styling, the rooms have a cheap feel and are a little cramped, even in the business class room I booked. Think Ikea with a view. My room was clean and the bed very comfortable. This is about all you can ask for in reasonable priced downtown accommodations.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear LightPro,

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay. We appreciate the time you have taken to share your comments.

We are glad you found our location convenient and close to everything you required. Please note that we do have suites and other options of room types that are much larger and more lavish should you require them. These rooms also have additional features as well include wifi access for your stay.

We hope we will see you on your next visit to Toronto, and highly recommend staying in one of our Junior Suites.

Thank you for choosing The Bond Place Hotel.
Dublin
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We stayed in Bond Place for a few nights at the beginning and again at the end of our 2 week holiday in Canada. In general it was a nice hotel. If you're looking for luxury though this is probably not the hotel for you. However it is certainly functional and well located, a couple of minutes walk from Yonge Dundas Square, and the impressive Eaton Centre.

Walking from the direction of the Square, the hotel is a little difficult to identify at street level. The signage for the hotel's restaurant, The PomAnar Grill & Juicery, is much more evident than the hotel name itself, and we, along with a couple of other guests, walked past the entrance a couple of times before realising it was actually the hotel.

Staff were pleasant and helpful throughout. They kindly printed our boarding cards on two occasions.

The restaurant is fine - though more suited to breakfast than anything else.

We booked a Queen Junior Suite. My first impression of the room was that it reminded me of a college residence with the continuous wooden ledge / desk running underneath the windows. I would agree with another reviewer's comment that the photos on the hotel website are better than reality. But the room was still adequate, spacious and clean. Bed was comfortable. The curtains weren't great for blocking sunlight - we woke very early as a result of the sun shining in.

A little thing, but hotels in Canada don't seem to supply shower gel, only soap, so just a tip to other travellers. Other supplies in this hotel were fine - shampoo, conditioner, mouth wash etc.

The Airport Express goes from directly outside the hotel. Other travellers might be interested to know that a return ticket was $42 but the journey was a bit tedious as the bus stops at various hotels in the city for pick-ups / drop-offs depending on whether you're going to/ coming from the airport. A much cheaper way is to get the subway from inside the Eaton Shopping Centre (5 minute walk from hotel) - a $3 charge gets you to the end of the line (Kipling station) and then get the #192 Airport Rocket bus right outside the station to the airport - there is no charge for the bus. Some might prefer not to have to get two tubes and a bus, but it took us roughly the same amount of time as the Airport Express for a fraction of the price.

Room Tip: Request a room that doesn't get direct sunlight in the early morning as the curtains didn't...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Springle,

Thank you for taking the time to share your valued feedback, we really appreciate the time you have taken to share your experience.

Glad to hear you enjoyed our location and found it very central to your needs. We are pleased to hear the staff took good care of you during your staying.

Please notice we do have black out curtains behind the shears that are in all of our rooms. The Black out curtains can be used with the sheers on top as well to provide the best block out of the sun shine when you require it to be dark in the rooms.

Again thank you for taking time to share your comments and experience. We hope you will stay with us again in the near future.

Thank you for choosing the Bond Place Hotel.