“BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE”

Cambridge Suites Toronto
Ranked #34 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 7 February 2014

I am getting married in a few weeks and contacted the Cambridge Suites a few months ago to coordinate rates etc. for my guests. We set it up so my guests would call in with the party name and I was given a general rate for the night of my wedding. After speaking to my fiancé, and at his urging, I called Cambridge Suites back to ask if they offered a government rate. I was informed that they do and was provided with that rate. I was told that if my guests requested this rate it would be available but government ID would have to be presented at check in.

Well last week two guests contact me to let me know the hotel is not honouring government rates because of a special event that is in town.

I call Cambridge Suites and speak to Elizabeth, head of reservations, as Ann is away. I am told that government rates could not have been offered for this day because of the special event taking place. She goes on to say that Ann has no notes to this effect but she will discuss it with her upon her return.

Today Ann calls me and argues that government rates had not been negotiated when we spoke. I explained that was not the problem but she persisted. Then I was told that government rates have black out dates and my wedding happens to fall on one....funny that no where on their site does it advise of black out dates. Then she flat out tells me that she didn't tell me government rates would apply. So what...I'm lying? I must have pulled the rate amount out of the air!!! She continues to inform me she has detailed notes that do not include any such information (re: government rate). When I informed her that I too has taken notes of our conversation, she suggested that they were not thorough!!!! Yet she only recalled 2 of our 3 conversations....hmm great notes! Very professional indeed!

It's unfortunate any of my guests booked with them. Who knows what rates they'll face once they actually check-in!

Customer service is everything! Therefore this hotel is worth nothing!

Room Tip: Find another hotel!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sharmaka
Elizabeth T, Manager at Cambridge Suites Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

Hello sharmaka, thank you for your feedback. I fell short of your customer service expectation and I apologize for this. With sincere regards, we look forward to welcoming your wedding guests to our hotel in March 2014.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I just came back from a week in Toronto, and stayed here for the first time. I was greeted with friendly smiles and service that did not waiver throughout the week. I stayed in a suite on one of the top floors. I had a great view of the city. The bed was extremely comfortable, and I heard zero noise from the busy city below. Complimentary buffet "European-style" breakfast, which changed daily. Free wi-fi. And, what I really liked, was free complimentary gym passes at Good-Life (literally next door) for my entire stay. So, I was able to get a great night's sleep, generous breakfast and full workout using all the equipment of my gym back home. The hotel is located in the heart of the city and moving in any direction was very easy by foot or cab. I will absolutely stay here again, and look forward to future renovations, which I heard will be happening in the near future. This hotel has it all, and at a great price. Five stars.

Room Tip: I had a corner suite on the top floor. Gorgeous view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Striker0813
Elizabeth T, Manager at Cambridge Suites Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Hello Striker0813, Thanks so much for taking the time to share your hotel experience from our friendly staff to our comfortable amenities and our convenient, central downtown location. I'm pleased to tell you that yes, renovations are being finalized for 2014! I will post this information on TripAdvisor as soon as I have the appropriate details. Thanks again!

Reviewed 22 January 2014

We did quite a bit f research and ended up at the Cambridge Suites. Being from out of town you're never sure what you're going to get. We were pleasantly surprised. Our room was a Cityscape suite and very spacious - separate bedroom, living and bathroom areas. While not ultra modern certainly spacious and the bed was very comfortable.
The staff were very personable, especially the barman at the Portico restaurant. Can highly recommend this hotel, comfy stay, close to shopping ( we were there when it was very cold and you only have to walk across the driveway to enter the PATH which is the underground shopping tunnels for out of towners) and about 100 m from a fabulous restaurant called Richmond Station.
We didn't use the spa/ gym area but it looked good.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Swanway
Elizabeth T, Manager at Cambridge Suites Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Thanks Swanway for your kind words regarding your hotel stay. It certainly is handy to have access to the underground PATH during the cold, winter days! Best wishes.

Reviewed 20 January 2014

My wife and I decided to go on a road trip from Chicago to Toronto during the Memorial Day weekend, and, after checking different lodging solutions in the city, we decided for the Cambridge Suites Hotel.

The location of the hotel is right in the center of the city, yet it is somewhat quiet and from our room we couldn't hear any noise.

When we made the reservation, we also took advantage of a special 25% off on the total bill, when staying for 3 nights, which helped keeping the whole price down.

In addition, for an extra $27 a day, we could park our rental car in a garage across the street from the hotel.

Our room was a Suite King & Sofabed. It was really spacious and the layout was nice, with the living area (which featured a desk, a couch, a bar area and a flat screen TV) completely separated from the sleeping one, so that one could watch TV even if the other was in bed sleeping.
The bathroom too was big and comfortable, although the furniture was a little outdated.

The staff was helpful but not intrusive and the overall experience was pleasant. I only have one minor comment: during our stay one of the two elevators wasn't working, and that caused some delay in getting to our room.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Simone C

Hello Simone C, many thanks for your insightful feedback and lovely pictures of our hotel. Please accept my apologies for the slow elevator service as there was a city wide elevator strike in May 2013. I'm happy to inform you that this issue was resolved and we have all 4 hotel elevators in working order. We hope to welcome you on your next road trip to Toronto!

Reviewed 18 January 2014

I appreciated the size of the room with a separate king bed and pull out couch, but the furnishings were old and tired. There were scratches on the table that were very noticeable. Not what I had hoped for. Rooms need major updating including the washroom. Expected better.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank followup2014

Hello followup2014, I'm sorry that we didn't meet your expectations. We are in the midst of finalizing the hotel's renovations aimed for completion in 2014! Please contact me directly at etanaskovic@cambridgesuitestoronto.com as I would be grateful if you could allow us the opportunity of welcoming you once again to our hotel.

Reviewed 16 January 2014

Amazing views from the room, the hot tub, sauna and exercise room was open 24hrs which was VERY convenient if you come in late from supper,shopping or a movie! The hot tub, sauna and exercise room is at the top floor with all clear glass windows to see the most amazing view every night. The hotel is less than a 5 minute walk to the Eaton Centre and many restaurants, including a very nice little breakfast place less than a block away that they recommend. We tried the hotel restaurant one night an had exceptional food with good service. The rooms are very spacious and well decorated. Includes two tv's, very large bathroom counter and a large comfortable bed. The mini bar was stocked with many tempting options such as their candy selections, alcohol options and other beverages. Our flight was canceled after the second night and they were very accommodating with fitting us into the hotel for another night. Awesome customer service and very helpful, nothing bad to say about this hotel! Will gladly recommend it to everyone and we will be returning!!

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ashley H

Wow! Thank you so much Ashley for your awesome review about your hotel stay with us. Our rooftop fitness studio is a hidden gem in the city with its spectacular city views! Yes, I would also certainly agree that the Portico food is delicious as well. We look forward to your next stay with us!

Reviewed 14 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here for a night in the spring for our anniversary. We were very impressed with the space of the suite and the service, especially in the Portico restaurant. I recently stayed here for a night on business. Both times check-in was a bit of an issue due to me not remembering my PIN number for my credit card. I booked online and showed government ID, but said they could not bypass the PIN. My fault, so I had to call the credit card company and all was well.
Both times I've stayed at Cambridge Suites I've noticed that the cleaning is not done all that well. The first time it wasn't too bad, I just could tell that the bathroom floor wasn't cleaned very well. This latest time I could tell immediately that none of the counters had been wiped down, from the mini bar counter to the bathroom vanity. Also, the dining table had noticable food stains and cup rings. The bed and sheets were very clean looking so that's all I really care about, I'm just glad that I was able to get a sale on the room when I booked. We will likely be back if we find a deal, but otherwise we will look into something else next time.

Room Tip: The deluxe suite is very roomy with a round dining table and four chairs, as well as a living area w...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business