“4/5 on all aspects = a great stay with no surprises!”

Cambridge Suites Toronto
Ranked #38 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Montreal, Canada
“4/5 on all aspects = a great stay with no surprises!”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I have stayed at the Cambridge Suites in Toronto several times and always for business travel. The location to downtown is convenient for short walks (especially the financial core), the rooms are clean, spacious and decent though not fancy, the service is attentive but with limited frills and the price is much more affordable than the fancy options.
Gym is reasonable but no "wow"s of any kind. If you have access to one of the private gym / clubs nearby (or a friend staying at the Sheraton down the street!) that is a much better option.
Restaurant is only "ok" and probably the weakest of their core offerings.
This makes it an across the board "very good" place to stay. If you want high-end (with frills and luxury) and are willing to pay then you should NOT stay here. If you are looking for CHEAP then you should also not stay here.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (297)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 13 June 2014

We love this hotel, its location is perfect, 5 minutes walk to Eaton Center, entertainment district, and business district. Rooms size and design accommodates 4 people (2 tvs) with lots of luggage. Yet, the management needs to pay closer attention to detail and supervise its staff more vigilantly. Rooms should be checked by management staff before guests check in.

We stayed there twice in the last months. We booked a suite for 4 people. We arrived after long flight to find sofa bed not made at 8 pm! This is not acceptable especially that the bellman was the one who ended up throwing things together for us. Not 4 star attitude.

Breakfast is amazing with cold, hot items, and friendly amazing service each day. The breakfast ladies are so nice and energetic.

Front desk staff are inconsistent. Some are great, very friendly, and professional and others are horrible in their attitude and not friendly at all.

We stayed in two different suites, the second one was much worse. The bathroom needed maintenance and renovation. The bathroom door did not lock properly, the painting was chipped in places, and the handle for the flusher did not work properly. One of the lamps by the bed was not working, we had to ask for it to be replaced. Who has time for this??! There were many small annoying issues that could have been avoided if there were enough supervision and pre check-in maintenance.

The housekeeping lady on the second visit was very sloppy, she did not even bother to wash our cups and cutlery and left things dirty for us.

The night service is a very nice touch, each night they supply you with water for coffee and a weather update for the following day.
We booked upper floor suite with safe and free breakfast. Breakfast totally worth it.

Overall, nice stay in a hotel with great location and great potential.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014

About once a year I visit Toronto, on business, for about 5 days or more. On those occasions I like to stay in a hotel which offers suite facilities with at least a small kitchenette. To date I've been somewhat disappointed with the offerings, but last week found the perfect place... the Cambridge Suites.

I was really impressed. The corner suite had floor to ceiling windows with a fairly decent view from the 13th floor (not unlucky for me). Two rooms connected through a French doors created a nice separation between the sleeping and living accommodation. Plenty of storage with a sizable chest of drawers and a closet in the bedroom, and the added bonus of a closet in the entry hall. The lounge had a comfortable sofa and chair, large coffee and side table and most importantly a good sized desk. Two large flat screen TVs were in both. The bathroom was a good size and critically for me a decent large and powerful shower. The colour scheme was neutral without being too boring.

Most importantly though, the suite just felt really comfortable. A cosy home away from home for a short visit to TO. It was a pleasure to relax into the cosy sofa at the end of the work day, and then fall asleep in a firm and comfortable King bed at night.

The location could not be beat. Steps away from Yonge and the shops of the Eaton Centre and Queen East. Right on the fringe of the business district and a short walk to the MTCC. The staff were always friendly and quick with a hello.

If I was critical it would be the kitchenette I value so much on these stays. It was minimal with a coffee maker, microwave, and small sink. And I had to ask for cutlery and flatware where I thought a minimal amount could be kept in the room. But small criticism for a really lovely hotel.

This'll be my go to for longer stays in the city. Don't know why I was surprised though. Always loved the Cambridge Suites in Halifax.

Room Tip: I thought the corner rooms were a really nice layout with lots of natural light.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ukstarman
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 10 June 2014

I recently stayed at the Cambridge Suites Hotel location in Toronto a few weekends ago. When my group and I arrived at the hotel just slightly after 3:00 pm, we were informed that our room was not yet ready. This was not an issue as our other friends were able to check into their room and so we were able to wait with them while our room was finished being prepared. Once we were all settled, we made our way out to go see a concert that we had purchased tickets for that evening. Following our return to the hotel, we were confronted with a security guard who less than politely demanded that we show our hotel room cards and wait at the door while he reviewed the names that each room was registered under. As an individual who has travelled to several parts of the world and stayed at numerous hotels, I have never been made to feel more uncomfortable in an environment that’s sole duty is to make its guests feel at home. We were forced to sit at the side of the lobby as though we were being reprimanded for doing something wrong, when in fact we were just exhausted and wanting to go to sleep. We were then told that because only 3 names were assigned to our room (we were informed by security that we could have had a limit of four, however because four people were not named initially they could not add another person), we had to purchase an additional room. We were then advised that if we received one noise complaint we would be immediately evicted. Imagine our surprise when we arrived to our floor only to hear our neighbours blasting music after midnight, yet I doubt that they were ever presented with the same threat that we received. All in all, I can respect taking security measures to protect the safety of your guests. However, after staying in multiple hotels in Toronto, I can honestly say that none of them have displayed such a level of disrespect. Even during a stay at the Fairmont Royal York, where her majesty herself stayed, I was not confronted by a security guard who interrogated me to the point where I felt like a criminal. The purpose of us booking your hotel was to be treated with hospitality not hostility. My friends and I had actually scheduled a booking with your hotel at the end of June prior to this visit, however it appears that now we will have to make other arrangements. I am also unimpressed that several days after I sent an email to hotel management about our experience no one has followed up.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
5 Thank Ashley A
Elizabeth T, Manager at Cambridge Suites Toronto, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Hello Ashley A,
Thanks for your feedback about Cambridge Suites Toronto.
I'm sorry to hear about your experience as we value the safety and security of all our hotel guests.
This information is valuable to us so we may improve our personalized service.
Sincere regards to you.
Essex
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed at the Cambridge from 26th May for four nights. They are as the title says, suites and very reasonably priced. The location of the hotel is very central. Right on the corner of Richmond and Yonge Street. Everything was within walking distance though some a good stroll such as the Harbour and the CN Tower. Check in was fast and friendly. We had a car so used their car park. We thought it was expensive at first but after walking around for a couple of days we realised how reasonable it was in comparison to the other car parks in the city. The rooms consisted of, lounge area with TV, desk, internet connection, fridge/mini bar, coffee maker, settee and two armchairs, there are double doors which you can open right up or keep closed leading to bedroom which also had TV, king bed arm chair, wardrobe (which contained, ironing board, iron and large safe), chest of drawers and door leading to bathroom. There was another door leading into bathroom from the hall as well. The bathroom had a shower over the bath (which I personally don't like but my husband is fine with it), sink and loo. The hair dryer was not fixed to wall so could be used anywhere in the suite. The rooms were of a good size and big enough for two. They were lovely and bright due to the floor to ceiling windows which also ran from wall to wall. You were in the middle of buildings so the net curtains were a must to allow you some privacy during daylight hours and have the heavy curtains open.

The bed was too hard for me and I did not sleep too well on the first two nights. Pillows were fine. We did not have a room with free breakfast but found a lovely grill about two minutes away which did a wonderful breakfast. The free wifi worked very well indeed with no Issues. One thing I was impressed with was how quiet the hotel was, the sound didn't seem to spill over into all areas of the hotel. Yes you heard doors banging sometimes, but once in the bedroom, you were isolated from all sound. Wonderful.

We also spent time in the bar which was friendly and relaxing and ate one night in the hotel, which was not too expensive and the food was excellent. The staff in both areas were very friendly and helpful.

There was a gym and jacuzzi on 22nd floor. We made use of the jacuzzi which we had to ourself on all occasions. Nice way to wind down after our busy foot aching day! There is ice available on two floors as well, one of which was 22nd floor in the gym.

Check out was fast and simple. You have the option to check out fast track via your TV where you can view your bill as well though they do pop a bill under your door on your day of check out as well.

My only complaint about this hotel is that we did not find it sooner. We have stayed many times in Toronto as we have family there and I wish we had found it on previous trips. We will stay here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Elizabeth T, Manager at Cambridge Suites Toronto, responded to this review, 10 June 2014
Hello Y705,
Thanks so much for your detailed and thorough review about your stay at Cambridge Suites Toronto.
Please contact me at etanaskovic@cambridgesuitestoronto.com so I may add a note on your hotel profile to add a pillow topper as the mattress is too firm to your liking.
We look forward to your next stay with us.
It's never too late and I'm glad that you found us!
Washington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

Great location & a very comfortable hotel. Suites are large with a very large bed in its own room . Good dressing area and small kitchen area was useful for drinks. Top floor gym and jacuzzi was great for early morning visits.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Janet N
Elizabeth T, Manager at Cambridge Suites Toronto, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
Hello Janet N,
Thanks for sharing your feedback on your stay at Cambridge Suites Toronto.
We look forward to welcoming you again!
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed 1 June 2014

Stayed at the Cambridge Suites for a weekend. Check in was fast and easy. Rooms are a bit dated, but the newer furnishings suited it a little well. Space is good for families or group of friends. Great location, near TTC and pretty much anything downtown. Although, like most 'good' things, there are some drawbacks. Most of the rooms are near the elevators, which at times are rather annoying. The outside windows of the place were disgusting, and in need of a desperate washing.

But there is something at this hotel that I have never seen before, (and I stay in the area a lot) an actual 'security checkpoint' type thing if you're coming late at night. There was a mix up in the number of people staying the night caused a problem for us. Although it keeps a good sense of security, it's kind of a nuisance for people who just want to sleep. Once you receive your bill, keep an eye out for some unknown fees. Issue was resolved, but shouldn't have to happen in the first place.

In the end, I'd recommend this place to anyone who would rather stay downtown.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank ferrari2197
Elizabeth T, Manager at Cambridge Suites Toronto, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Hello ferrari2197,
We appreciate your constructive feedback on Cambridge Suites Toronto.
I'm happy that the discrepancy was resolved on your bill.
Thank you for the recommendation!