“Great location, but it's getting a bit tired”

Cambridge Suites Toronto
Ranked #33 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We've been staying here for the last 10 years on our annual business trips to Toronto. The main pluses were the central location and reasonable rates. There aren't many decent hotels in that part of downtown in that price range.

The hotel offers good value with easy walking access to many local eateries. The onsite Portico restaurant underwent a much-needed facelift some years ago. Food standard improved markedly and still at reasonable prices. Breakfast quality is above average for this grade of hotel, if a little crowded when the restaurant is at capacity. Onsite parking is convenient without too many contortions to exit.

Rooms are actually very spacious, as are the bathrooms and both had a cosmetic makeover some years ago. But unfortunately they're now starting to show their age even after the makeover and the ceramics and plumbing fittings really need replacement to maintain a contemporary standard. Taps are a dreadful pull-out design that seem prehistoric compared with the usual smooth-turn Gröhe tapware found in Asia & the Middle East.

Room furniture & work desk are functional if dated, but the lighting is very 70's. The rooms almost never seem light & airy, more dark and gloomy. A good interior designer with a decent budget could work wonders with the amount of space available. C'mon guys, how about it?

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Globohiker
Elizabeth T, Manager at Cambridge Suites Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Hello Globohiker,
We hear you loud and clear and very much appreciate your insight on Cambridge Suites Toronto.
I will share your feedback with our Executive Team as we are in the midst of finalizing our renovation project. Your information is valuable to us before we begin our uplift plan.
Thank you for your time and many thanks for your continued loyalty.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,870)

Reviewed 8 August 2014

This is one of our favorite hotels - the service was great, the location exceptional (walking distance from just about anything you want to see in Downtown Toronto), and the room was fantastic.

The suite we got had two beds and a fold out sofa. Great sleeping arrangement for all of us.

Beds were firm and new (no soggy mattress here) - new, clean, modern.
Temperature control was fantastic - we were all comfortable throughout the night.
Gym is on the top floor and small (has a nice jaccuzzi too), but free access to a "commercial grade" gym is available at the front desk.
Free internet, great layout, well stocked minibar (saved us, as we came in very late, and Toronto is not family friendly after 10pm), microwave, refigirator in room.

Parking garage (extra cost) next door takes care of the car (if you have one) - since you won't really need it when you are there.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Noam Z
Elizabeth T, Manager at Cambridge Suites Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2014

Hello Noam Z,
I'm absolutely thrilled that we are one of your favourite hotels. Thanks for sharing your experience about staying at Cambridge Suites Toronto!

Reviewed 8 August 2014

Things I love about this hotel:
Staff are polite and helpful
Was given free breakfast vouchers because checking in was slow
The suites are a good size with a separate kitchen and dining area
Room service is good.
The gym is much better than it was a few years ago and has a great view of the city on the 22nd floor.
The bar has happy hour between 4 and 6pm

Things I was not so keen on:
Checking in at 4pm- seems a little late
Too many homeless people in the neighbourhood (not the hotels fault) but if you are going for a leisurely walk then take a left as you leave the hotel.
The kitchen sink kept blocking which was annoying.

Overall it's a hotel I would always consider when visiting Toronto,

Room Tip: My room was low down so I heard lots of traffic- you might hear it less on a higher floor but I coul...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LizWhitcher
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This is a hotel that I probably would not have picked as a business traveller to Toronto. The hotel was booked for me by local business associates. I found the location to be exceptionally close to good food. The hotel amenities were excellent and the room were very comfortable and I appreciated the additional room. I will definitely come back and bring my wife to explore more of the sights of Toronto. PS. Would be good if bar stayed open a little later.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Bruce P

Hello Bruce P,
I'm so happy that you were pleased about our suite layout, location and amenities. We would be honoured to welcome both you and your wife back on your next visit! I 'm uncertain about extending our bar hours but we'll see what we can do. Please contact me at etanaskovic@cambridgesuitestoronto.com and I will forward this onto the Portico Lounge team for consideration!

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Booked 4 nights last week at the last minute when my youngest daughter had emergency surgery at Mount Sinai Hospital. Downtown core hotels were 87% booked and all I could find were the very expensive rooms and a few suites here and there. This hotel featured an executive suite with breakfast, parking on site with in/out privileges @ $27/day (reasonable given it's downtown Toronto), a restaurant, a bar, small fridge/microwave in the room, decent TV & cable channels, large washroom/vanity and a sitting area. All this for a reasonable nightly rate (couldn't believe my eyes or my luck) & a 20 minute walk to the hospital. Check-in was a breeze and the room was perfect. Clean & comfortable! Everything I needed without having to ask. The only downside was breakfast - too many people in a very small space, not enough places to sit & certainly not appetizing choices. I gave up after my second attempt and just went somewhere else for breakfast. That being said, I would still stay here again.

Room Tip: The higher the better. Yonge St is only a few steps away and the traffic noise can be quite bothers...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank MommaB60

Hello MommaB60,
Please pass on our well wishes and for a speedy recovery to your daughter.
I'm so glad that luck was on your side in order for you to find Cambridge Suites Toronto.
I'm sorry that our breakfast was overrun as we were/are in the peak summer vacation travel with a very high volume of guests. We did re-position our breakfast offerings to ease the congestion but not soon enough for your family's enjoyment.
Please contact me at etanaskovic@cambridgesuitestoronto.com so I may take note on your account about missing breakfast for 2 mornings.
Thank you!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Awesome hotel, awesome service and a great location! Stayed here for a few days with our family. The location and service were very good. I will stay here again when coming to downtown Toronto. Fantastic starting point for all downtown activities.....and at great rates!

Room Tip: Very nice views from the upper floors.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank donmack2000
Elizabeth T, Manager at Cambridge Suites Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Hello donmack2000,
Many thanks for your hotel recommendation for Cambridge Suites Toronto.
We look forward to welcoming you again!

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed at the Cambridge Suites for one night with friends. Check-in was smooth and they had parking in and out privileges. We had 4 to a room and it was nice having the sleeping area separate from the living room. The furniture was a little dated, but a great downtown location - little far from the King West restaurant and bar location (that was the destination we were headed). Overall a great clean stay at a reasonable price.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Hello Travel_Stace,
Thank you for sharing about your Cambridge Suites Toronto experience.