“Desperate need of refresh”

Holiday Inn Toronto Yorkdale
Ranked #22 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This has be the worst Holiday Inn I have stayed at. Holiday Inn's worldwide are known for their modern and functional offering. Although at basic level, they are always modern!

It is unbelievable that rooms do not come with a small bar fridge and a safe! I don't recall any hotel not offering this in my experience. They are basic items.

The rooms are extremely tired, even on the renovated floor. I had broken sliding doors on two occasions which did not make me feel very safe! When it rained, the carpet all the way to the bed was soaked. This hotel simply needs to be guttered and started again.

The set up of the restaurant, pool, gym and tennis court indoors in the one area is like 1980. As you eat/drink at the restaurant, all you can smell is the strongest chlorine from the pool. It is just unpleasant.

The food is of high standards (compliments to the chef) but so over priced. Breakfast can be up to $25, which is not worth it at all. Unfortunately nothing in the mall across the road is open at breakfast time so you're forced to pay the price.

Service was hit and miss. I stayed several times over a long period and each time was told different things. You can request a small bar fridge, which was free the first time and then second time I was told it was $15 per day!

Unfortunately there are no other hotels in this area so you're forced to stay here.

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms in East tower up to level 5 or so face inside the complex, i.e. the balcony is i...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank annav88
HolidayInnYorkdale, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Yorkdale, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Thank you for taking time to write your concerns regarding your last stay. We strive to ensure that all guests are pleased with their accommodations. I sincerely apologize for the experience you had. If you would like to discuss your experience in more detail, please feel free to contact Crystal Lambert, Reservations Coordinator at reservations@hiyorkdale.com

Reviewed 17 June 2014

This hotel could use a facelift, and I was told such a renovation was underway. However, despite the outdated rooms, the customer service at this hotel was head and shoulders above much more modern, much more expensive places I have stayed. The hair dryer in my hotel began to smoke and shut off. I called the front desk, and literally had barely hung up when there was a knock at my door with apologies and a replacement. The breakfast buffet, and indoor recreation area were great and entertained my kids. Would def. stay there again, hopefully with the updated rooms. Location is also great--walking distance to Yorkdale Mall (by using a safe crosswalk) and the Yorkdale subway station.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank lwsathome

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback, I’m pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay and we look forward to having you stay with us in the near future.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

This hotel might not be a five star property, but I found that it was excellent value for money. The staff was friendly and efficient, my room was comfortable, clean and quite spacious. Located across the street from a shopping mall and a metro station, it is convenient for getting to most places. No complaints whatsoever!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful words, we thank you for staying with us and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We often stay at holiday inn's while traveling actually 2 on this trip. 1 in Ottawa and this 1 a day later in Toronto. This is not award winning and if so I'm not sure how. The holiday in we stayed at the day before was hands down nicer, cleaner and great customer service. I will start by saying we called and pre-booked a 2 day wonderland package upon arriving with 2 toddlers after 7 hrs of driving to no booking in there system. We called this hotel and confirmed the proper number was called. However front staff ( 3 ladies ) said there's no booking and they can't book the wonderland package for walk-ins? We were not walk-ins we could prove we called with the phone we called from. Regardless my husband actually had to come outside and spend another 30mins on the phone with the booking ppl. Front desk staff could care less about us gaving to re-book and refused to book for us? Very odd? Finally booked again check inn and get a very small room that was dated beyound your normal holiday inn. It actually smelled musky. Requested a room change to a bigger room regardless of cost and received the same room on the 9th floor just cleaner with a little bit of updating. Fine I'm not complaining again. I go out to get milk after ordering pizza bc at this point it's 7:30pm, pizza comes and it's the ONLY hotel u have to come down and meet the delivery guy toddlers in toe! Parking gates would not work are 3 day stay. Bathrooms are extremely small and dated. Even the tv in the rooms are small. 27" maybe this may not matter to some however after wonderland my little ones wanted to lay in there beds and be able to see the TV. Honestly we have stay in 3 holiday inns in Toronto. the one in markham and near the airport and this is below both. The only thing this hotel had that the others didn't was the over-priced resurants.

• Stayed: June 2014

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review us. I am disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us. We would like the opportunity to discuss this further with you, please contact Crystal Lambert our Reservations Coordinator at reservations@hiyorkdale.com

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed there with my husband and two kids. We loved that there were almost always 2 big containers of ice water in the lobby-one with orange slices in it, and one with lemon. It is such a small thing, but after a long day out, we appreciated it so much. It meant we didn't have to worry about how much bottled water we had, and we weren't always running for ice. We found the front desk staff friendly. The rooms are small but fairly clean. Nice flow of water in the shower. The towels were softer than I have seen at other hotels. The beds are terrible. Too soft and sinky. I did however appreciate the choice of firm or soft pillow. The dining room-we were there once and wouldn't go back. Terrible food at a high price. It was convenient to have the coffe/bagel place near the lobby, but a yogurt was $3-4 and Nutrigrain bars were $1.90. It cost a fortune for the four of us to buy our breakfast there. Parking costs $10/day, which is a lot, especially considering how awkward it is to get in and out of their parking lot. We found housekeeping staff to be pretty unfriendly. The terrible beds bring down our overall satisfaction with this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014
HolidayInnYorkdale, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Yorkdale, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

The hotel is delighted to hear your complimentary feedback on our property. We not only appreciate you taking the time to leave a review on our property but also for choosing to stay with us on your trips to the city. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

I appreciate in big cities things are a bit different but these were my complaints: Breakfast buffet was $22.50, it was good, but it found that a bit extreme. The parking was a bit of a headache to get to after a full day of travel.

However, The room was nice, clean and everything was ok with the room. The staff were friendly and knowledgeable.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Aeval V
HolidayInnYorkdale, General Manager at Holiday Inn Toronto Yorkdale, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Thank you for sharing your review, I’m sorry you were disappointed with the cost of breakfast, we do offer other options at our Café express, I’m delighted to hear that you found the rooms clean and the staff friendly, we do hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

The layout was quite interesting, with the loud open pool, and the indoor tennis court next to the lounge, but it was OK for us this visit, as we were with my son's hockey team.
Great breakfast buffet, I also had some good Moroccan food one night.
The rooms were nice and clean, pretty quiet, even with the location next to the 401.
Odd entrance to the hotel through the car dealership, but easy enough to find.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank K W

We appreciate your complimentary review of our hotel. We hope that you will continue to have us as your hotel of choice in Toronto and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.