“Very Tired Decor, Average at Best”

The Omni King Edward Hotel
Ranked #10 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 15 July 2011

I`d stayed at the King Edward twice before, and was excited about returning. The five years in-between my stays hasn't been kind to the hotel, and its now a very tired and somewhat dirty looking property.

On the plus side, the hotel lobby is gorgeous, and I've always been treated well at the lobby bar. The front desk staff were very attentive when I asked to switch rooms, and my request was handled promptly.

On the other hand, you could clearly hear *everything* out in the hallway in my first room, and I was woken up both in the wee hours and early the next morning by other guests and maintenance staff passing by. Both my original room and the second room I was given were well worn, with loose carpeting and stains on the wallpaper.

I also tried the on-site spa, and it also looked tired and dated. The waiting area was in particular need of attention, as it looked like someone's old (and dirty) living room couch and chairs was used in the waiting area.

I was excited to stay here, but now I'm pretty sure I won't be back. I booked directly with the hotel (instead of a discount booking site), so paid hansomely for what I thought was a premium hotel. I will most certainly look around at other hotels before returning.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (3,754)

Reviewed 14 July 2011

Do not overlook this Hotel , it has everything you might need plus the beauty of a 5 star Hotel !! The staff goes out of their way to make sure you are comfortable and well taken care of !! We will advising our family and friends to visit the beautiful city of Toronto and to stay at the Le Meridien Hotel !!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2011

Dear valued guest:

Thank you for sharing those wonderful comments about your most recent stay at Le Meridien King Edward. Thank you for recognizing our associates, Razia and Toya, who are part of our team of committed and dedicated staff that go the extra mile to ensure our guests experience an enjoyable and comfortable stay.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 11 July 2011

We had an absolutely wonderful stay at The Meriian King Edward Hotel from July 7th-July 10th, 2011. I'd booked with Hotwire.com and got an unbelievable rate for such a beautiul, high quality hotel. After booking, I read some of the reviews and found that they were quite mixed so I was a little apprehensive about what to expect. When we arrived the staff was very attentive and helpful and much to our delight they had upgraded us to a Deluxe King Room. It was huge and very nicely decorated with a beautiful big bathroom and 2 flat screen tvs We felt like royalty. As it was our honeymoon, I had requested a small fridge and a coffee maker for our room, both of which were there when we arrived. The only disappointing thing was the parking, it's very expensive but there are several local garages where you can leave your car safely at a third of the cost. I would highly recommend the Meridian King Edward to anybody, we will definately return on our next trip to Toronto.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2011

Deart valued guest:

Thank you for choosing to stay at our hotel and sharing about the exceptional service you received from our staff. We are very delighted to note of your positive comments regarding your overall experience. We are happy to share that such experience will not be possible without our team of committed and dedicated staff who go the extra mile to ensure our guests experience an enjoyable and comfortable stay.

I realize that parking charges hurt but a quick comparison to other major metropolitan cities will indicate that this cost is comparable if not even less costly.

Thank you for your wonderful comments that are well received by my team at Le Merdien King Edward. I look forward to welcoming you back and demonstrating the warm hospitality that the hotel has become known for.

Reviewed 11 July 2011

We visited this hotel towards the end of out first visit to Canada and stayed for 4 nights in a deluxe room.

Our room was very large but furnishings were rather tired with ill fitting carpet, tiny closet and what turned out to be noisy air conditioning - no veiw. We were also very tired at this time and so decided not to request another room, just settling for more storage which was provided. Probably a mistake.

We had generally found service in Canadian hotels to be very good but our experience at King Edward was disappointing and we felt that they did not really cater well for our (non- business) needs. We were billed for DVDs not wached and dreadful room service coffee- these chrges were removed on request. Although the central location was good, we would not choose to stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear valued guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay at Le Meridien King Edward. I am sorry to read that we failed to meet your expectations in the areas that you mentioned. It is our goal to consistently provide the highest quality in both product and service and it is vital to our continued success to know when we have fallen short of our own standards. Let me simply say that my team here at Le Meridien King Edward is committed to providing a much better and more pleasant experience than what you had the misfortune of experiencing. I have discussed your comments with my team for corrective action and to avoid recurrence. I am also pleased to inform you that the hotel will soon start its renovation work on some of the guest rooms which will address the issues you have raised.

I sincerely hope that this experience will not deter you from returning to our property as I assure you that what has happened is far from our standard. I hope that you will allow us another opportunity to demonstrate our true level of hospitality and interest in serving you as our valued guest. You are welcome to contact me directly at contactus.toronto@lemeridien.com if you wish to discuss this matter further.

Reviewed 10 July 2011

Saw a few poor reviews about the Le Meridien King Edward and thought to clarify that it's really not that terrible. Nothing to really complain about, but also nothing to write home about.

Stayed in July in a Club Level Queen-sized room, so internet (wi-fi) was complimentary. The service overall was great - check-in/out was fast and efficient, while room service staff was prompt and polite. Although the doormen may need to be reminded that they are there to assist guests with luggage up and down the stairs, as opposed to standing and staring while I struggled with my bags.

My room was on the 10th floor facing an internal courtyard. When the elevator door opened on the 10th floor, the hallway was stuffy and hot, as there was no air conditioning or air flow of any sort. The room itself was spacious with a seating area, large walk-in closet, work desk and queen-sized bed. While the decor matched the majestic-feel that it was trying to convey, I can't help but notice that the wall paper and paint were peeling, the carpet was old and certain furniture could use some repair. There is no central light switch; rather, you have to switch each lamp on in order to get sufficient light at night.

The bathroom was standard - nothing to rave or complain about. However, the water pressure of the toilet was rather weak, so you have to press down longer to ensure that it completely flushes.

The Club Lounge has a great coffee machine and offers continental breakfast from 7 a.m., along with a reception with hors d'oeuvres and wine/beer from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m. It's not crowded and is quite convenient for those who need to continue working.

If you like older historic hotels, this is on par with the Fairmont Royal York and is also located within walking distance of the Financial District.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2011

Dear valued guest:

Thank you for taking the time to share some complimentary feedback and for pointing out some limitations of the hotel as experienced during your most recent stay. Feedback from our guests is always important as it helps us to monitor our level of service.

Your comments have been shared with the managers of the departments involved for corrective action and I can assure you that you will see an improvement on your next visit.
It may be significant to note that the hotel will start a renovation project involving some of the guest rooms that will address your perceived concerns and hopefully enhance the quality of every guest’s experience.

Thank you once again for your comments and for making us aware of situations that might otherwise have gone unnoticed.

Reviewed 8 July 2011

King Edward Hotel in Toronto is still ideally situated downtown, especially if you are visiting for a short time and need to see the major banks and broker-dealers. But boy, this hotel is in dire need of a renovation. It's definitely a throw-back at least to the seventies, right down to the musty odor that pervades the place. Hopefully, Le Meridien will see fit to upgrade this property.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank NSEWtraveller

Dear valued guest:

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your stay at Le Meridien King Edward. Feedback from our guests is always important as it helps us to monitor our level of service.

You can rest assured that we have made a significant note of your opinion and I am pleased to advise that the hotel will undertake renovation of some of the guest rooms to address the concerns you have mentioned. It is our intent to continue to provide a pleasant experience for our guests when this enhancement is completed.

Thank you once again for your feedback and we look forward to another opportunity to be of service to you in the near future.

Reviewed 8 July 2011

I was completely disappointed with this hotel. I've stayed at Le Meridien before and was expecting so much more. This hotel clearly has not been upgraded in years. The furniture was old, the carpets were tearing all over the place, and the rooms do not have Wifi (a huge problem if you travel with an iPad... out of luck). The only redeeming quality was the location right in the city center near the train station. I would never stay here again.

1  Thank WVieques