“Very pleasant hotel”

The Omni King Edward Hotel
Ranked #8 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 1 May 2013

My husband and I stayed one night at the King Edward for a getaway stay. We were pleasantly surprised by the large size of the room and the comfortable bed! The room was old in style but clean and well stocked. The bathroom provided a makeup mirror, a blowdryer and the usual soaps and shampoos. The fridge was very well stocked with a mini bar and good selection ofsnacks which were an extra charge(fairly pricey). We didn't have any of the snacks or bar but it was tempting! We were on the 7th floor so really didn't hear any traffic. I used the Nouvelle Maria Spa located on the Mezzanine and had a very good 25 min massage(with an RMT) and a manicure in a very relaxing and stylish atmosphere. The staff at the spa and the hotel were very pleasant and helpful. We ordered extra pillows with no problem. The parking is valet but there was no waiting for the car.
Our stay was only marred by ignorant guests who were partying late on our floor. But the hotel staff dealt with the problem promptly and made amends to us upon leaving.
All in all it was a lovely stay and we would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 May 2013

Dear Chika52,

Thank you for sharing a lovely review about The King Edward Hotel. I appreciate the wonderful comments about your overall experience and I am delighted that our warm hospitality made for a very pleasant stay.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and I look forward to your return visit.

There are newer reviews for The Omni King Edward Hotel

Reviewed 1 May 2013

I stayed at the King Edward Hotel for a couple of nights on business. All of the staff I interacted with at the front desk were incredibly helpful and polite. When I suggested that I might have to stay an extra night, due to events in Boston, management was incredibly accommodating.

The room quality was very good, clean linens, comfy bed. Large room, with a chair and a king-sized bed. The bathroom was okay too, my only complaint is that shower curtains are dated. Glass doors are the way to go and should have been made the standard in the mid-90s.

Mini-bar, snacks, and on demand movies (non-adult) are all incredibly overpriced as is the hotel's restaurant (expect to spend approx $50 for one person). I think 'The Hobbit' was showing at a rental fee of $18.99 + tax.

The location is perfect! Great spot in downtown Toronto, right by Yonge St and the subway. If you're coming from Billy Bishop (Toronto City) Airport the airport shuttle drops you about a 7 minute walk from the hotel.

For $130.00 a night you can't beat it!

I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank PurplePoppie

Dear Newenglandtraveller2,

My team and I are delighted that you enjoyed a wonderful experience at The King Edward Hotel. Thank you for your commendations of the good service, helpfulness and friendliness of our staff. I am also glad that the hotel’s location and proximity to key areas was an advantage for you. Your comment about the bathroom has been noted and will be addressed in the upcoming renovation of guest rooms.

I appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 1 May 2013

We spent a night at the King Eddie April 26. We were upgraded to a larger room, though I don't know how big our booked room was. There is a wide foyer with 2 closets on the left side and the bathroom to the right. Straight ahead is a sitting area with a small sofa, chair and coffee table. To the other end of the room is the king bed, small bench at the bottom of the bed and an armoire with some drawers, the tv and the bar fridge. There is a desk which doubles as one of the bedside tables. There are three windows. Unfortunately, the whole room was dated. They are trying to keep the look "antique" but this room hadn't been updated in a long while, likely since the 80s.

The saggy mattress was obvious: deep impressions showing where many bodies before us had lain. The bed was hard with no life left to it, if you know what I mean. Both pillows were of the same material, hard, the only difference between them was one was thinner than the other. However, the sheets were crisp and white. Ditto for the towels.

The bathroom, though, gave me the most grief. The lighting in the bathroom is awful. There are two pot lights over the sink which seemed so dull until I turned on the make-up mirror - which felt like I was applying makeup by candle light - and moving away from that yellow light made the pot lights seems so much brighter. Argh! There were not enough towels, only two of each but with my long hair I need a towel for it but the hand towel is too small and the bath towel was in use. The toilet paper and tissues were what you would expect in a public washroom, not a hotel. The toiletries were not very good. Staying for just one night it didn't make sense to pack shampoo and such but if you're planning on staying longer, you might want to bring your own. Oh, and they supply only one robe! It was hanging in the closet and when I saw only one, I had my husband head back to the chambermaid we passed in the hall for another; she gave him one but said there should be only one.

We took advantage of their anniversary sale to stay here. If we got less than their best because of it, it's a false economy: the impression left with us is not favourable: we won't be back. We celebrate our anniversary in Toronto every year, usually staying the whole weekend. I'm glad we stayed only the one night. If you are thinking of also having a massage at Nouvelle Maria Spa within the hotel, you might want to read what my experience was with them, also, unfavourable. In a nutshell, their bread and butter is tourists that arrive to the hotel - they know most won't be back.

Dear choosehappiness,

I am very sorry to learn of your disappointing stay with us. It is our goal to consistently provide the best hospitality and service to our guests and it is vital to our continued success to know when we have fallen short of our own standards. Thank you for your feedback. Let me simply say that all of us here at The King Edward Hotel are committed to delivering a much better and more pleasant experience than what you had the misfortune of experiencing. We offer our sincere apologies for any service shortfall during your visit. Room renovations are currently underway to address the deficiencies you mentioned and consequently enhance the overall stay experience.

Whilst you have indicated otherwise, I hope for another chance to extend our true and warm hospitality, and deliver better service to you. I know that this does not change your experience but I hope that you can feel confident that we heard your concerns and that we are doing something to address them.

Once again, thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 30 April 2013

We decided to stay downtown to shop and attend the Stars on Ice show at the ACC last on April 26, 2013. We selected The King Edward Hotel as it is very centrally located one block from Yonge St on King St. We have stayed here before.

We arrived early just after 9:00am and did not expect our room to be ready. To our surprise one was available on the 7th floor ( Deluxe King bed room).

The room looked like the wallpaper & draperies has been redone but not recently. The furnishings showed that it has been in service for over 20 years. The inside of the bathtub showed marks of the tub mat ( the mat was not in sight) and last but not least the carpet has not been replaced for over 20 years. The have moved something and it showed the carpet underneath it ... as it should have been years ago.

The room is tastefully decorated and the beddings are clean as well as no tell-tale smell of smoke.

We could have waited for a better room and furnishings but my hubby did not want to wait. Since I have some shopping to do I agreed to accept the room.

Breakfast at the Victoria's Restaurant was acceptable and service was attentive. I have to ask though for a pot holder for the silver teapot, which was too hot to touch, (but they did not have one) so I asked for a serviette instead. Little things that is needed that seem to have been sacrificed for economy-sake. You can choose to have your breakfast outside the restaurant (in the lobby).

While the lobby is quite impressive one has to realize that the rooms might not be.....

P.S. It will cost you $40 + tax per day to valet park your car as they do not have their own parking area. There are parking lots nearby but might not be safe for overnight parking.

Room Tip: If you are particular and staying more that one night I suggest you wait for a better room.
Reviewed 27 April 2013

Stayed here on business and I would definitely not return. The lobby is absolutely gorgeous, but after that there is nothing good about this hotel. The rooms are incredibly outdated and every room smelled like smoke. The bathrooms are old and the beds were very uncomfortable. I have to imagine the beds have been there for over 20 years. The hallways are nasty. The staff was okay for my stay, but fairly slow to respond to requests. While the location is pretty good, I would prefer to be closer to University. This hotel is in need of major repair. Admire the lobby and then leave.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 April 2013

Our room was large and well appointed. Nice, old style, lobby creates a good first impression to the hotel. Exercise room has recently been re-done and is quite well equipped. Valet parking is $40. Free wifi in the lobby, but daily charge for wifi in the room.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
KingEdward1903, General Manager at The Omni King Edward Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2013

Dear NVCBJ,

Thank you for your review of The King Edward Hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed the comfort of our spacious and well-appointed guest rooms. I am also glad that you had the opportunity to experience the newly renovated fitness centre. I appreciate your feedback and look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 22 April 2013

Excited for our first trip to Toronto we booked a room at the Intercontinental Toronto Centre. Upon arrival at the Intercontinental we were informed that they were overbooked and there was no room for us. They sent us to The King Edward instead and we were so pleased. The staff there was very compassionate about us arriving close to midnight and not having a place to stay or a meal. They staff went above and beyond to make sure we were comfortable. So much so that we stayed there the entire trip and canceled our reservations at the Intercontinental. The King Edward is a much prettier hotel. It has character and charm. Not a corporate chain-like hotel like the Intercontinental. It is also in a great location. Lots of shopping, restaurants and transportation nearby. Very centrally located to all of the sites. It's a great place to stay! I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Dear PTV,

My team and I are very pleased to have delivered a wonderful first visit experience to you and your friends. Thank you for your generous compliments about our staff and services. We are very fortunate to have a team of committed and dedicated staff who go the extra mile to ensure our guests leave feeling well cared for. I am also glad that you found the hotel conveniently located to all must see sightseeing in the city.

It was our pleasure to have "saved the day" and I look forward to having you stay with us again when you return to Toronto.