“Likely wouldn't stay here again.”

The Omni King Edward Hotel
Ranked #8 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto, Canada
“Likely wouldn't stay here again.”
Reviewed 21 April 2009

My husband and I stayed at the King Edward in April of 2009. We were attending a function in one of the ballrooms, so staying at the hotel was the most convenient thing to do.

Our actual room was quite large (King Deluxe Room). The minibar was well stocked. There was a safe in the room which was easy to use. We had no view from our room and the window could not be opened.

The bathroom was defitely the worst part of the room. It was really big, which was nice, but everything else about it was not so great. The products (soap, shampoo, lotion) had a strange smell. There was visible mold along the edges of the bathtub and over the shower tiles. The showerhead itself had signigicant calcium or hardwater build up. The toilet was either low flow or not adequately working.

The towels and bed linens had an overpowering stench of bleach. The mattress and pillows were quite comfortable, however.

I found the hotel to be noisey -- lots of doors opening and shutting throughout the night. I am a light sleeper, so I was woken up several times throughout the night. I could also hear people talking in the hallways.

Parking is expensive at $25/night.

My biggest issue with the hotel is that my husband got food poisoning after eating at the function. He was severely ill and had to be assessed at the emergency room. When I contacted the hotel, I was told there was no way it could be from their hotel and that he had to have picked it up somewhere else. I was not calling to be confrontational, but to advise the management that there may be an issue they need to look into. Instead of listening to what I had to say, the manager was rude and extremely unprofessional. I ended up the conversation by hanging up, as I was not being listened to.

Although the hotel was clean and comfortable, I would likely not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kathleen D

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (380)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton
Reviewed 21 April 2009

Cleanliness is important to us and we found the Meridian to be top notch.
The room was beautiful and the bathroom spacious. We could not have picked a better hotel in Toronto. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Excellent location. We stayed in Toronto many times but this was the first time at this hotel and we will be back again and agin

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Edmonton5
canada
Reviewed 20 April 2009

Within the last five years I have stayed at the King Edward over twenty times and I have yet to be disappointed. It's elegant history is not only displayed through the style and decor but also through the well trained and extremely helpful staff. The staff is friendly and caring and go beyond their call of duty. On a recent trip in March I was suffering from a cold. A waitress in the Concert Bar named Ivana recommended to me oil of oregano to ease my symptoms. The next day I was surprised to see that she had brought the oil of oregano for me and refused to accept payment for it. The kindness shown by her exemplifies the friendliness of the staff and the great manner in which they are trained. It is always a pleasure to stay at the King Edward Hotel and I could not imagine staying anywhere else on my frequent trips to Toronto.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank deanoh
Geologist35
Reviewed 19 April 2009

The acme of Colonial elegance in the heart of Downtown Toronto. An historical island of peace and quietude amidst the sea of this bustling city. The "King Eddie" still, after so many years, offers 5 star accommodation for the business traveller. Centrally situated, it is close to the business hub and to many of Toronto's tourist attractions. When you enter the grand foyer of the hotel, the warmth of the welcome you receive is unsurpassed anywhere in the world. I have been in most of the world's capitals and have yet to encounter another business traveler's hotel to equal the King Edward. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are fabulous! You never have to ask the concierge "Can you recommend a good restaurant?" Go to the "King Eddie" nd you will know what it is like to be treated like royalty!

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank Geologist35
Victoria
Reviewed 17 April 2009

I am a frequent visitor to Toronto and have made the King Edward my home-away-from-home. The staff is is indeed fantastic in everything they do and are always willing to help out - being greeted by name is always nice when you are on the road.

And besides, a hotel with a great pedigree and fantastic location is an added bonus. The actual hotel rooms reflect a bygone era, but are tastefully clean and up to date with the latest technology (large TVs, great internet connectivity, etc.).

I have no hesitations recommending this hotel for a visit to Toronto.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank MichaelTraveller99
Sydney
Reviewed 8 April 2009

This hotel is lovely. Our room was massive. We paid for an upgrade to use the business centre and have breakfast every morning. A downside though is that is it not a stop on the shuttle from the airport into the city. The closest stop is the Delta Chelsea Hotel. At 4.30am we were able to get a cab from the Le Meridien to the Delta Chelsea to make our bus.
The check in staff were wonderful, however the doormen/concierge were a bid dodgy. We asked for directions to a laundromat and they sent us to a place that did not exist.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank kylie1927
london
Reviewed 6 April 2009

My husband and I had a show/dinner/hotel package with the King Eddy being the hotel. Never having been there and having heard nothing but rave reviews, I was extremely let down. The room was very clean and that is the best thing I can say. There was a chair at the desk but the other chair was a chair Goodwill would refuse. There were no housecoats as advertised, the amenities meagre at best, the hand lotion actually caused an allergic reaction to my eyes and the chlorine in the sheets and towels was reassuring but the scent overwhelming.The front desk was helpful but I found the rest of the staff surly.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple