“You get what you paid for.”

The Omni King Edward Hotel
Ranked #8 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Oxford, UK
“You get what you paid for.”
Reviewed 6 May 2009

I booked a room through Priceline and got a very good rate of US$51/night plus taxes. Like what the earlier review said, this hotel is very elegant. Room is clean. Location is good. However, this hotel is extremely prejudicial against Priceline users. I was intentionally put in the worst room, without any view at all (see photo, those white things all over the window are not snow, but pigeon droppings).

Unless you book through conventional channels or you are a starwood preferred guest, otherwise, you will feel like a second class customer during your stay. You just get what you paid for.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank RiverCherwell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (381)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
London, ON
Reviewed 26 April 2009

This is a hotel I stay at on a regular basis and I have never had less than a first rate experience. The staff are consistently friendly and willing to help, so I never feel I am a bother to them, as sometimes happens. I would compare the service levels to those in Asia, which tend to be noticeably higher than in N. America. Although I have frequent stay status with the Starwood chain, which often gives additional privileges, even before I did have such status I was always very well treated.
The hotel itself is an older one but refurbished, so the rooms have a "grand" feeling to them. And for a luxury downtown hotel the rates are mostly very reasonable, except when they are close to being full.
The location is also ideal, being very close to both the financial and entertainment districts, and it is only steps away from a subway station.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank Academic47
Toronto
Reviewed 21 April 2009

We decided to go on a quick get-a-way and found a good deal on Princeline. You want in and you feel the grandeur and classical elegance of the hotel. If you're looking for a modern hotel, this is not it. However, if you want a classic feel, this was good. Keep that in mind when you go into the bed room. It's an old building but I think it's maintained itself well. Bathroom definitely looked older but was still clean. You can tell the room itself was old but it was quite spacious, bigger than I expected - area for the bed, seating area with couch and tv, and then a desk area for work. The room isn't as elegant as the lobby though. One thing we realized, no ice bucket so if you're thinking of bringing champagne, ask for a bucket at the desk or bring wine instead.

We only stayed one night but the service was pretty good when we checked in and when we had questions. Quite friendly and joked with us as well.

The resturant Victoria's was quite good as well. We were pleased with the dinner and the service. Valet parking was included even though it said online we had to pay so that was good. I'd recommend going there.

Overall, we were quite satisfied with our stay there and would go back.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank cpyoon
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2009

My husband and I stayed at the King Edward in April of 2009. We were attending a function in one of the ballrooms, so staying at the hotel was the most convenient thing to do.

Our actual room was quite large (King Deluxe Room). The minibar was well stocked. There was a safe in the room which was easy to use. We had no view from our room and the window could not be opened.

The bathroom was defitely the worst part of the room. It was really big, which was nice, but everything else about it was not so great. The products (soap, shampoo, lotion) had a strange smell. There was visible mold along the edges of the bathtub and over the shower tiles. The showerhead itself had signigicant calcium or hardwater build up. The toilet was either low flow or not adequately working.

The towels and bed linens had an overpowering stench of bleach. The mattress and pillows were quite comfortable, however.

I found the hotel to be noisey -- lots of doors opening and shutting throughout the night. I am a light sleeper, so I was woken up several times throughout the night. I could also hear people talking in the hallways.

Parking is expensive at $25/night.

My biggest issue with the hotel is that my husband got food poisoning after eating at the function. He was severely ill and had to be assessed at the emergency room. When I contacted the hotel, I was told there was no way it could be from their hotel and that he had to have picked it up somewhere else. I was not calling to be confrontational, but to advise the management that there may be an issue they need to look into. Instead of listening to what I had to say, the manager was rude and extremely unprofessional. I ended up the conversation by hanging up, as I was not being listened to.

Although the hotel was clean and comfortable, I would likely not stay here again.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kathleen D
Edmonton
Reviewed 21 April 2009

Cleanliness is important to us and we found the Meridian to be top notch.
The room was beautiful and the bathroom spacious. We could not have picked a better hotel in Toronto. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Excellent location. We stayed in Toronto many times but this was the first time at this hotel and we will be back again and agin

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Edmonton5
canada
Reviewed 20 April 2009

Within the last five years I have stayed at the King Edward over twenty times and I have yet to be disappointed. It's elegant history is not only displayed through the style and decor but also through the well trained and extremely helpful staff. The staff is friendly and caring and go beyond their call of duty. On a recent trip in March I was suffering from a cold. A waitress in the Concert Bar named Ivana recommended to me oil of oregano to ease my symptoms. The next day I was surprised to see that she had brought the oil of oregano for me and refused to accept payment for it. The kindness shown by her exemplifies the friendliness of the staff and the great manner in which they are trained. It is always a pleasure to stay at the King Edward Hotel and I could not imagine staying anywhere else on my frequent trips to Toronto.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank deanoh
Geologist35
Reviewed 19 April 2009

The acme of Colonial elegance in the heart of Downtown Toronto. An historical island of peace and quietude amidst the sea of this bustling city. The "King Eddie" still, after so many years, offers 5 star accommodation for the business traveller. Centrally situated, it is close to the business hub and to many of Toronto's tourist attractions. When you enter the grand foyer of the hotel, the warmth of the welcome you receive is unsurpassed anywhere in the world. I have been in most of the world's capitals and have yet to encounter another business traveler's hotel to equal the King Edward. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are fabulous! You never have to ask the concierge "Can you recommend a good restaurant?" Go to the "King Eddie" nd you will know what it is like to be treated like royalty!

• Stayed September 2008, travelled on business