“One of the Worst Hotels I've Stayed In”

Madison Manor Boutique Hotel
Ranked #81 of 134 Hotels in Toronto
Calgary, Canada
“One of the Worst Hotels I've Stayed In”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I booked this place with high expectations, but I'm going to be honest--it ended up being one of the worst hotel experiences I've had in my life. (certainly top three). The price is decent given the location, but not given the condition of the rooms, and not when compared to the prices of close-by inns. First of all, the hotel is directly beside the Madison Bar, which is evidently one of the rowdiest bars in town. We came back from a concert at around 11:00, and felt very unsafe just walking to the hotel. There was all sorts of drunks roaming around and screaming outside the hotel, and there was a massively loud party happening on the bar's outer deck. When we finally got to our room, we found that it was in terrible shape. The shower was absolutely disgusting (my friend, who showers super-frequently, wouldn't even use it). The pillows were hard, the beds were too short, and the headboard was bouncing around and I felt it was about to fall off. Then, the next morning, we went to check out, and waited for fifteen minutes by the office before someone even arrived! Apparently you're "not allowed" to check out until 8:30. Unbelievable! I'd probably have even worse things to say about this hotel, but for me, it's purpose was served. I needed a place to crash for six hours after going to a concert, and this hotel was just that place. If you're looking for a longer stay, though, I'd look elsewhere. And if you're not a twenty-year-old college kid, I'd look elsewhere!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank AlbertaTourist77
madmanor, Hotel and Special Events Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
The Madison Manor B&B is located beside one of the most famous pubs in North America
with 6 Victorian Bars all under 1 roof, where young families to old friends have been celebrating for 30 years. The bar and hotel are located on a residential street in the famous, popular and safe Annex area. It can be very busy on the weekends, and our Madison B&B opens to guests for breakfast and check out at 8:30 am as per the confirmation sent to guests. Our staff are
on duty at 7:30 am prior to opening the door at 8:30 am to take care of our guests on the weekend.

Our Madison B&B has limited front desk hours 7:30 am to 10pm weekdays and 8:30 am to 11:00 pm on weekends. Our Madison Manor B&B is styled with lovely and well maintained antique bedroom sets, complete with old fashioned bedspreads with polyfill soft pillows. All rooms are different and the beds in all rooms are the standard bed size length found in most hotels. Our hotel has always enjoyed high ratings for the cleanliness of the rooms and bathrooms. Our room rates average out to be 20% to 60% less than other accommodations downtown.

We have many regular guests who stay with us who range in age from 25 to 95 and consider the
Madison Manor B&B their preferred home away from home. Sincerely, Kelly Kane Special Events and Hotel Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
wrexham
Reviewed 14 June 2013

Most enjoyable stay friendly staff nothing was to much trouble good selection for breakfast and very well appointed rooms. would definately stay here again. I liked being able to make coffee or heat up food in my room.

Room Tip: The room I had was down stairs which had a kitchen with table and chairs,bedroom and large shower r...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank margaret h
madmanor, Hotel & Special Events Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 17 June 2013
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your kind comments and let us know how we can always do our best to
make your stay a wonderful one.

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience staying with us at the our 23 Victorian Bedroom Madison Manor B&B. Glad you enjoyed your stay.

Our Madison Manor Boutique Hotel B&B is beside our Madison Avenue Pub. 6 Victorian Pubs
all under one roof. Our staff are always delighted to assist. Our Madison Manor does not
have an elevator, so I am so glad that many of the guests asked for assistance to carry
luggage to their room upon arrival and departure. Making sure you get to the airport on
time is hectic. Our staff were pleased to assist many with pre-arranged taxi cab bookings
to the Toronto Airport. Many guests wanted a quick tour of the City and we were pleased
to assist with tour bookings to see our city!

Look forward to welcoming you back.

Thank you again. I welcome your call to know how we can always better serve you.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2013

Very clean room, everything we needed, although it is in a frat area with the windows closed and fan on I didn't notice any noise problems. Nice continental breakfast provided. Although their parking lot was full, there is nearby green P parking and you can park overnight, just make sure to keep adding time to make it account for the next day as well (16$). Added bonus of a 12$ coupon to be used at next door pub/bar. Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
madmanor, Hotel and Special Events Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear Guests:

Our Madison Manor Boutique Hotel B&B is beside our Madison Avenue Pub, delighted to know you enjoyed the complimentary voucher for the Madison Pub, to enjoy some food and drinks and the complimentary continental breakfast.

Look forward to welcoming you back.

Lake Worth,FL
Reviewed 15 April 2013

We had flight delays and arrived about 1:30 AM,for a memorial service for a dear friend.
The staff was most helpful getting us settled.After some glitches with the wifi and safe,we were happy to get to bed.The manager, Kelly Kane, spoke with us the next morning and was more than helpful in correcting all of our minor problems. As she explained she (the hotel) was a grand old lady,which she was. We had stayed there before and would certainly do so again.We will recommend this to all. Thank you

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PeterLakeWorth_FL
madmanor, Hotel & Special Events Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2013
Dear Guests:
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience staying with us at the our 23 Victorian Bedroom Madison Manor B&B. Thank you for giving us the opportunity to correct the minor things, make it right, so you could enjoy your stay.

When you come for a celebration and nice leisure time, trips are great, they are so difficult when they are because of an important loss in your life. We are glad we could make sure you were well looked after and your stay comfortable during a sad time. We hope to welcome you always and be your home away from home.

Reviewed 20 March 2013

As an owner of a small Bed and Breakfast..(The Pepperberry) in Thornbury, Ontario, I often look at BandB Canada for accommodations for us when we travel. We were going to Toronto for an overnight, and I came across a special that was being offered on our site by The Madison Manor. We had a delightful experience from the moment of booking over the phone to the checking out!! What a great spot. We had room 405 clean, comfortable and roomy. Very quiet, and it emanated a feeling of Romantic Victorian Charm. We were given a voucher for $12.00 for use in the adjoining pub!! We took in a bit of night life in the various pubs in the main building!! Such fun!! We will be back!! Thanks Madison Manor!!

Room Tip: 405 was nice!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
madmanor, Hotel and Special Events Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
Thank you for your lovely comments. Thank you for sharing that you are owners of a
Bed and Breakfast. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay
in room 405 at our Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, Bed and Breakfast.

Our guests are very important and we value your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back. Let us know how we can always make your stay with us extra special.
If I can be of assistance please call me at 416-927-1722 ext 2512.
Thank you again.

Kelly Kane, Hotel and Special Events Manager
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 8 March 2013

Outstanding room! I stayed in suite 201, which I understand is the largest. Huge room, vaulted ceilings, gorgeous fireplace, modern bathroom and lovely kitchenette. I experienced no problems with wireless connectivity and also took the advise of my fellow TripAdvisor writers to call ahead for a parking space; guaranteeing myself a spot right outside my door. A door that was steps away from everything the city has to offer. Neighbourhood and pub were deserted - as it was 'reading week' at U of T, so no noise complaints. Very nicely kept area with a suburban feel despite being a few short blocks from all the action. Walked to great food and shopping and felt safe even alone after dark (forty-something female).

Downside is of course as others have already mentioned, very unfriendly front desk - a real sourpuss that one. You have to schlep your own bags and if you have even a mild mobililty impairment this place is out of the question. Also the complimentary breakfast was in fact very sparse and we had to ask to have essentials - like coffee for goodness sake, replenished when we arrived at 8:30am as the pot was empty. I recommend you plan in advance and take advantage of the kitchenette to have breakfast in the room.

Ordered lunch from pub and the food was spectacular - no kidding, way better than I would have expected (if you get the chance treat yourself to a piece of their red velvet cake - to die for!)

Would definitely go back and would recommend to my fellow travellers.

Room Tip: Suite 201 is the best! Call in advance for parking - only 3 spots available!
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled on business
madmanor, Hotel & Special Events Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Thank you we are glad you enjoyed your stay in 201. The Madison Manor Boutique Hotel
is a a 23 Bedroom Bed and Breakfast on 4 floors of a renovated century old mansion.
We have no elevator. As a bed and breakfast we do not have bell captain or porter
service. For guests that have challenges with their luggage, we will be glad to get
one of our staff to assist any guest with their baggage upon request.

Because we are so small our self serve continental breakfast is also taken care of by the person on shift who also looks after the front desk, I do apologize if the coffee pot was empty and had not yet been re-filled before you noticed it.

We really care about our service and I welcome your call to follow
up on any of your concerns personally. Thank you for staying at the Madison Manor
Boutique Hotel our Bed and Breakfast. You can call me at 416-927-1722 ext 2512

You mentioned you will return and I look forward to welcoming you back and making
your stay extra special. Sincerely, Kelly Kane
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 January 2013

We stayed at the Madison Manor for 3 nights while our floors were being refinished. The Madison has 3 buildings-large houses rally, all in a row on Madison Avenue just off Bloor street. One building is the hotel, then a restaurant /office and then the pub. The location is excellent- close to the University of Toronto and Bloor street. The rooms are nicely furnished and the bathrooms are renovated and of high quality- we had a shower that was spacious and worked well. The first two nights of our stay we were in room 301 at the front of the hotel. The room is great... it has a seating area with a small sink and half fridge, and then the bedroom with fireplace and ample space to sit and read or watch TV. Wednesday night was fine, but Thursday night is a very popular night at the Madison avenue pub- one of the most popular student pubs in Toronto. People come and go until after 3am.. I was woken several times by loud people outside- the last time at 3:42.

The last night of our stay was a Friday- we needed to move rooms as they had a prior booking for room 301- the room we were given was ice cold when we got back that night, room 408 and the gas fireplace didn't seem to work. Also there is a street light right outside and there isn't an opaque curtain so it would be very bright all night. It faces directly over the Pub patio- which wasn't a problem as this was winter- but you wouldn't want to stay in that room in summer.
As the desk was closed we called the pub manager who kindly moved us to another room- 401, which was warm, quiet and comfortable. So it really depends which room you are in whether its quiet or not. Sun-Wed is probably fine, but if you are there Thurs-Sat, you need a room that isn't over the street or the pub.

According to the advertising there is wireless internet, but when you check in they give you a sheet of paper telling you to sign on but pointing out that they dont' guarantee access. In fact, of all 3 rooms we were in, I couldn't get a signal for wireless on my mac at all. My husband did manage to get a signal briefly-but you can't count on it. This is something they really should fix or not advertise the rooms as having wireless.

Breakfast is continental breakfast in the restaurant. Cold cereal, muffins, danish- nothing special.

For the location and the quality of the rooms the price is good, but it really depends if you get a quiet room.

The staff was certainly and helpful-but this isn't a full service hotel- the desk closes fairly early.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the larger rooms and make sure it isn't facing the pub or the front of the hotel...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
madmanor, Special Events & Hotel Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 28 January 2013
Dear Guest: We are glad you enjoyed many aspects of your stay. Our WIFI is complimentary
and because we are a small bed and breakfast we do not have onsite full time personell
to assist with WIFI. We send a hotel confirmation to all of our guests detailing our WIFI
is a complimentary but not a guaranteed service. I welcome your call to follow up with you at 416-927-1722-ext 2512. Thank you for choosing the Madison Manor Boutique Hotel.