“Above and beyond” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #83 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
albany
“Above and beyond”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

As my cab approached the Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, at first I thought "what lovely Victorian buildings", but then noticed the Greek symbols on many of those lovely buildings. Oh no! I am on Fraternity Row!

Not so fast! What a surprise, and what a delightful gem to find in Toronto!

Fraternities DO line the street, and the adjoining pubs DO fill up with mostly college-aged students. But someone put some time and effort into sound proofing at the Madison Manor. I stayed on the ground floor for 3 nights, while attending an academic conference at the university. I needed to be up early, and I have to say that not once was I awoken by noisy students or revelers. And the World Cup had just started!

To top things off, as I checked out, the woman in reception helped me to get a flat fare cab to the airport, trying several different companies before she was confident she was getting me the best rate. The cab arrived early, I was ready early, off we went. Some 10 blocks away, the dispatcher called my driver. I had left my passport at the hotel, and the front desk wanted to alert me before I got too far away.

Outstanding accommodations, outstanding location, outstanding customer service. Well done, Madison Manor, and thank you for the passport retrieval!

Room Tip: I stayed in 202 on the ground floor, and it was very nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank reinademiuniverso
madmanor, Hotel and Special Events Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Thank you so much for your detailed review. Glad you enjoyed your stay and the customer service. Thank you.

We are so glad that we were able to get a hold of you to assist in alerting you, you left
your passport. Anu, was on duty on our front desk and strives to provide excellent customer service.

Our Madison Manor B&B is a 100 year old converted mansion, each room is different, done
in antiques. Our Madison B&B rooms are a nice size, as you would expect in a residential Mansion. They are done with antiques with an old fashioned Victorian style. Please ask about our lovely Fireplace suites. They are very generous in size. 201 and 301 are our biggest fireplace suites at over 350 square feet.

In our 30th Year, The Madison Avenue Pub is our unique venue featuring 6 Victorian Pubs all under 1 roof. We have a slower pace during the week and a very busy weekend pace, with a fun
and safe crowd ages from about 19 to 65. Many married couples in Toronto tell us they met at the Madison, we host many anniversary celebrations at the Pub and hotel get-away weekends.

Thank you for taking the time to write, so delighted to know you enjoyed our B&B and our Pub and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Thank you choosing the Madison. Sincerely, Kelly Kane - Hotel and Special Events Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Iowa City, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Close to public transit & really nice rooms. I enjoyed the private access & how homey it felt. Wifi was broken at hotel, but restaurant had it. Breakfast was cereal & breads. Nothing really fancy but it was sufficient. The hotel/restaurant is a maze, finding your way can be a challenge but it's a unique place. Definitely not your cookie cutter holiday inn or hyatt.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
madmanor, Special Events & Hotel Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write. Glad you enjoyed the hotel.

Our complimentary very basic continental self service breakfast is served in our main level Victorian Pub. Our basic continental self service breakfast includes:
Orange and Cranberry Juice, Coffee and Tea,
Hard Boiled Eggs, Assorted Bagels, Muffins, and Danish pastries,
Cream Cheese, Jam, Peanut Butter,
Selection of Boxed Cereals and some fruit.

We provide $12.00 complimentary pub voucher that we include with our bookings.
Madison Pub opens at 11:00 am and some guests use their coupon for a hot breakfast
or towards brunch on the weekends..

The Madison Manor is part of the Madison Avenue Pub, with 6 Victorian Pubs and is one of the largest Pub Venues of it's kind in North America. We are celebrating 30 years serving our guests.
Glad you enjoyed the Pub. We have a very busy weekend pace, with a fun and safe crowd ages from about 19 to 65.

Thank you choosing the Madison and we look forward to welcoming you for your return
visit. Sincerely, Kelly Kane - Hotel and Special Events Manage
Ottawa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

I have stayed over 10 times at the Madison in Toronto. I have traveled in Cairo, Istanbul etc. I like clean hotels at the cheapest price next to public transportation and restaurants. I always pack earplugs and therefore am not bothered by noise. I would recommend this place to very experienced travelers who have stayed in modest places world wide. My husband and I found our stay fantastic. The bathroom was very clean, the bed comfortable. The parking lot behind the hotel takes credit cards and one can add maximum time past the 24 hour limit. We parked the car on Thursday and left it there till Sunday, only having to pay twice. The breakfast is adequate. I will continue to use the Madison for all our trips to Toronto.

Room Tip: I don't like too many stairs and ask for the basement room which has fewer steps.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank H199
madmanor, Hotel and Special Events Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for you for your review of our Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, our 23 room bed and breakfast. As a world traveler, we thank you for your lovely review and look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy the city. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay.

All our guests love our location a short walk to all the restaurants and museums and main attractions downtown. Local Public transit is right at our door step so the convention centre and main downtown business centres and the University of Toronto are just minutes away.

Our very basic continental self service breakfast includes which is included in the room rate is:
Orange and Cranberry Juice, Coffee and Tea, Hard Boiled Eggs, Assorted Bagels, Muffins, and Danish pastries, Cream Cheese, Jam, Peanut Butter, Selection of Boxed Cereals and some
fruit.

We do not have an elevator in the B&B, but we will always be pleased to assist with your luggage if you need assistance, just let us know. Please let us know always what floor you would prefer.
Our 23 Bedroom B&B has lovely rooms:
our lower level, is floor 1, our main level is floor 2, our second level, is floor 3 our third level is floor 4.

Our Madison Manor B&B is a 100 year old Converted Mansion, each room is different, done

The Madison Avenue Pub is our unique venue featuring 6 Victorian Pubs all under
1 roof. Which is located beside the Madison Manor. We often include a $12.00 welcome restaurant voucher to enjoy drinks or food at our Madison Avenue Pub in the room rate as well.

Yes guests have mentioned they find the public parking located directly behind the hotel for about $20.00 per day, works well for them if our limited hotel parking is booked.

Glad you enjoyed our B&B and our Pub and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Geneva, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

This is a great little spot that I highly recommend for a casual weekend. It is situated in a great location with easy walking distance to shopping, restaurants and is next to the Madison Avenue Pub (which is huge!). This is close to the campus of U of Toronto so you share the block with Sororities/Fraternities. I had one of the Superior rooms (406), it was small, one queen size bed, nut much closet space and with it's own bathroom. Not complaining, the room was very comfortable, cozy, clean and perfect for a weekend visit. Parking is okay, there is a city parking lot behind the facility which I believe was $10 per day. I had to park there one day and then was able to get a parking spot next to the building I stayed in $9 per day. I would say if you can get there without a car you really do not need one and you can avoid the parking issues. The following are not complaints, just describing the amenities: there are no elevators, you get your ice from the adjacent pub, breakfast is Continental - no hot food (go to the pub for hot food), no credit card readers - manual imprint only. I bring this up because my modern Visa does not have raised information to be able to imprint so I had to use a different card - not intended personal expenses, no complimentary shuttle service. However, you really do not need all of that stuff for an enjoyable weekend. I did not think that there was excessive noise, I was able to sleep fine.

Room Tip: I was in room 406 and did not notice and was not bothered by noise that some complained about. Ther...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
madmanor, Special Events and Hotel Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for your detailed review. Glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you

Please note the public parking located directly behind the hotel is $20.00 per day.
Our Hotel Parking is $18.00 per day. We are directly behind the Spadina Subway, and a short walk to most of the major downtown attractions from restaurants, theatre, shopping and museums. So it is the perfect location to be able to leave your car at home.

Our very basic continental self service breakfast includes:
fruit. We often include a $12.00 welcome voucher to enjoy drinks or food at the Madison Avenue Pub.

We do not have an elevator in the B&B, but we will always be pleased to assist with your luggage if you need assistance.

Glad you enjoyed our B&B and our Pub and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Trenton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

I was in Toronto for a large scholarly convention downtown, but did not want to stay in one of the large, soulless chain hotels, high end or not. TA reviewers, and others, seemed to have identified the ideal: a "boutique" hotel in three adjacent old mansions. The location--on the same block as a major subway stop, Spadina, with multiple streetcar and bus connections as well--is excellent: a straight shot, 15 minutes travel time, to the downtown conference hotels. The neighborhood has a "happening" student feel--the University of Toronto is close by, and (double edged "benefit") there are quite a few UT fraternity houses on the very same block.

Once upon a time this must have been a quiet, elegant block. Now it is neither. In fact, the Madison Manor Boutique Hotel's principal attraction is the multiple pubs it contains, which draw a high testosterone, high energy, high-volume crowd of young people. It take three bouncers at the entrance to check the age IDs of the many young people queuing up to get in. I am afraid they saw no need to bother to ask me for mine.

It is pretty loud. Patrons seem oblivious to the large sign the establishment has suspended between two of its houses exhorting its patrons:
"Please exit quietly for the benefit of our residential neighbours"

They don't.

Oh, the rooms -- I was not provided a spacious room, but rather a smallish one on the 3rd floor (no elevators, if you were wondering). The bathroom too was smallish. If I come back to town with my wife, I'd be unsure whether to come back for fear of similar tight quarters. Oh, it did have valued amenities -- WiFi is pretty reliable, and at no extra charge; bottled water, if you're unsure about what Mayor Ford puts in the city water supply. Breakfast too was included in the $119 nightly charge, but it was pretty bare-bones. Perhaps the danish is baked in house.

So it did give me what I was looking for--an alternative to the chained hotels--and a good dollop more of what I maybe wasn't looking for.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank trentonmakes
madmanor, Hotel and Special Events Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you for you for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy the city
with your wife and when you call ask about our large Fireplace suites.

The next time you return with your wife, please ask about our lovely Fireplace suites.

your luggage if you need assistance. Just ask our front desk when you check in
and we will be pleased to arrange for one of our staff to assist with your luggage
for check in and check out of your room.

The Madison Avenue Pub is our unique venue featuring 6 Victorian Pubs all under
1 roof. We are celebrating 30 years.
The Pub has a slower pace during the week and has a very busy weekend pace, with a fun
and safe crowd ages from about 19 to 65. Many married couples in Toronto tell us they met at the Madison, we host many anniversary celebrations.

Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights, 2 persons. Hotel rooms are spacious w private bathrooms. Our bathroom was new granite with a heat unit inside. Complimentary water bottles tea and coffee in room was nice. Breakfast was continental, wish there was hot food available. Pub next door was very fun, both young and mature crowds. 10 bars inter connected in a Victorian manor. $12 free credit for hotel guests and food was awesome in pub. Parking is available for $18 w hotel or there's public lots on corner. Not bad considering the Hilton is $60/nt for parking. Our room was next to pub and we could hear some late night chatter and music. We didn't mind too much but you may want to request the further side of mason if you plan to make it an early night. All in all I'd stay again.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
madmanor, Hotel & Special Events Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 18 February 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write your detailed review. Glad you liked especially the value and location. Delighted to know you would plan a return visit.

A hot breakfast is available for guests to order in the Pub after 11:00 am each day and al la carte brunch is served on Saturday and Sundays. Some of our guests use their $12.00 complimentary
pub voucher that we include with our bookings, towards buying a hot breakfast in the Madison Pub.

Our complimentary very basic continental self service breakfast is served in our main level Victorian Pub. Starting at 7:30 am weekdays & 8:30 am weekends and Holidays.
Our basic continental self service breakfast includes:
Orange and Cranberry Juice, Coffee and Tea,
Hard Boiled Eggs, Assorted Bagels, Muffins, and Danish pastries,
Cream Cheese, Jam, Peanut Butter,
Selection of Boxed Cereals and some fruit.

visit. Sincerely, Kelly Kane - Hotel and Special Events Manager
London, Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 December 2013

The Madison is fine if you are able to sleep through the yelling and screaming of drunks and honking of car horns 10pm - 2am, and you are getting a great deal to stay there. The word boutique perhaps implies special experiences such as single beds of uneven heights for your 'King' bed and thin worn bed covers which match the ripped chair. The 'basic' breakfast is just that; the boiled eggs are fine.The mini-bagel broke apart when being cut because it was so dry. It's free, but if you need nutrition, going elsewhere is recommended. There are options locally, due to the central location of this lodging. However, its adjoining bar is its weakest feature for those who wish to sleep. Of several visits to this hotel, this was the worst.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank LaVerte
madmanor, Hotel & Special Events Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 23 December 2013
Our Madison Manor B&B is a 100 year old Converted Mansion so the rooms are not
the big size you would experience in many standard hotels. Although it is a converted
Mansion rooms are still a nice size, as you would expect in a residential Mansion.
All of our rooms in our B&B have their own bathroom and no two rooms are the same.
Our Beds the same size you would find in any bedroom they are stand sized beds
and mattress sets. Our linen is replaced often, I will look into your concern and thank
you for bringing this to our attention.

Our very basic complimentary continental self service breakfast includes:
Orange and Cranberry Juice, Coffee and Tea, Hard Boiled Eggs, Assorted Bagels, Muffins, and Danish pastries. Cream Cheese, Jam, Peanut Butter, Selection of Boxed Cereals.
fruit. Many guests enjoy our basic breakfast which is included in the room rate.

The Pub has much slower pace during the week and has a very busy weekend pace, with a fun
and safe crowd ages from about 19 to 65. The Madison Avenue Pub has been welcoming
patrons for 30th years. We have 6 Victorian Pubs all under 1 roof and a 192 Fresh Beer Taps
throughout out the Madison. We are considered to be one of the most well known and
largest Pubs in North America.

Thank you for returning to stay with us for several visits. If you wish to contact me personally to see if I can be of further assistance regarding your stay I would be pleased to receive your call.