“Good place, average staff”

Madison Manor Boutique Hotel
Ranked #86 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Bremen, Germany
“Good place, average staff”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Our room was clean, spacious, comfortable, the beds comfy too. The bathroom was also nice, the shower big. The location is great, just a few minutes from the Spadina Metro station; the price, I suppose, quite OK for a 3*. The noise from the pub at night was not too bad (we had a room with the windows directed towards the pub).
It was also nice to receive a voucher to use for food and drinks.
The most annoying thing was that even though breakfast was included in the price, we could never have it because it starts at 8:30 at weekends... What kind of time is that? If tourists have tours, plans, stuff to do they won't go out at 10 in the morning... will they? We asked if it would be possible to have at least a coffee and a toast arranged before that time (half an hour before, not hours and hours) but we got told nobody would be there before 8:30.
We also asked how to reach the Niagara Falls with public means of transport, and got told (from someone who had been there recently...) that there were no direct trains, but the only option is train+bus. Thank God the WiFi in our hotel room was decent, and we could check ourselves - it wasn't too hard to find the train time tables (FYI, there is a direct VIA Rail train in the morning and one that comes back in the evening).
It wasn't a bad experience all in all and we had a good time in Toronto, the hotel just lacks that special "something more" that makes it unforgettable.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank nini_it
madmanor, Hotel and Special Events Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 3 July 2014
Thank your review. We want to make each and every guest experience a wonderful stay with us. The Madison Manor B&B & Pub is a 23 Bedroom old fashioned Victorian Mansion. Glad you enjoyed your room and the pub next door, we provide a $12.00 voucher included in your rate to enjoy our Madison Avenue Pub.

Our excellent rates are possible because of the general hours we offer for Front Desk and Breakfast Service that are most popular for our guests. We send a detailed confirmation outlining our Front Desk Hours and Breakfast Service. We have requests from guests on the weekend to make breakfast much later and much earlier. Everyone wants to enjoy the great rates that include breakfast. Our Front Desk opens at 8:30 am on the weekend, breakfast is 8:30 am to 10:30 am. We keep the most popular basic hours to accommodate all our guests and offer great rates. But we are constantly reviewing this. Thank you for your comments.

Our basic complimentary breakfast.
Our self service breakfast includes, Orange & Cranberry Juice, Coffee & Tea, Hard Boiled Eggs, Bagels, Muffins, & Danish pastries, Cream Cheese, Jam, Peanut Butter, Boxed Cereals & fruit.

Our front desk staff do try to do their very best with tourist enquiries, and we have made a note of your concerns that we did not have the information you were looking for to get direct to Niagara Falls by bus and train on your own. Our Front Desk has the complete details on a Niagara Falls Tour Package that picks guests up close to our Hotel.

We have made a note of your comments. We do always want to be helpful and are always looking to improve our tourist information we can provide to our guests. We do want to make your stay extra special.

Thank you again for your review, sincerely, Kelly Kane, Hotel and Special Events Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Vancouver
Reviewed 22 June 2014

hotel is dated and not entirely clean but overall had a good experience here and would stay again.
great location near restaurants and shopping I would recommend this hotel overall good value for your dollar

Room Tip: there are no elevators and the air conditioning was not very good. ask for quite rooms as the hotel...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
madmanor, Hotel & Special Events Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank for your review.

We strive and want to make each and every guest experience a wonderful stay with us.

The Madison Manor B&B & Pub is a 23 Bedroom old fashioned Victorian Mansion, our rooms very in size and no 2 rooms are the same. They are similar in size to a residential Mansion, with our standard rooms being the smallest. Our accommodation offers great value, if you are looking for larger rooms, our Deluxe and Suite rooms are the best choice.

Glad you enjoyed the pub next door, we provide a $12.00 voucher included in your rate to enjoy our Madison Avenue Pub. Glad you liked your room, we are training summer students for housekeeping and they need to perfect their service to always make the Madison Manor very clean for our guests.

Our Air conditioning is fairly standard for a small building similar to condo's . From time to time they need to be adjusted so they are working well.

We have no elevator, but will always be pleased to assist you with luggage, please let our
front desk now if you need assistance.

Thank you again, sincerely, Kelly Kane, Hotel and Special Events Manager
albany
Reviewed 15 June 2014

As my cab approached the Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, at first I thought "what lovely Victorian buildings", but then noticed the Greek symbols on many of those lovely buildings. Oh no! I am on Fraternity Row!

Not so fast! What a surprise, and what a delightful gem to find in Toronto!

Fraternities DO line the street, and the adjoining pubs DO fill up with mostly college-aged students. But someone put some time and effort into sound proofing at the Madison Manor. I stayed on the ground floor for 3 nights, while attending an academic conference at the university. I needed to be up early, and I have to say that not once was I awoken by noisy students or revelers. And the World Cup had just started!

To top things off, as I checked out, the woman in reception helped me to get a flat fare cab to the airport, trying several different companies before she was confident she was getting me the best rate. The cab arrived early, I was ready early, off we went. Some 10 blocks away, the dispatcher called my driver. I had left my passport at the hotel, and the front desk wanted to alert me before I got too far away.

Outstanding accommodations, outstanding location, outstanding customer service. Well done, Madison Manor, and thank you for the passport retrieval!

Room Tip: I stayed in 202 on the ground floor, and it was very nice.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank reinademiuniverso
madmanor, Hotel and Special Events Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Thank you so much for your detailed review. Glad you enjoyed your stay and the customer service. Thank you.

We are so glad that we were able to get a hold of you to assist in alerting you, you left
your passport. Anu, was on duty on our front desk and strives to provide excellent customer service.

Our Madison Manor B&B is a 100 year old converted mansion, each room is different, done
in antiques. Our Madison B&B rooms are a nice size, as you would expect in a residential Mansion. They are done with antiques with an old fashioned Victorian style. Please ask about our lovely Fireplace suites. They are very generous in size. 201 and 301 are our biggest fireplace suites at over 350 square feet.

In our 30th Year, The Madison Avenue Pub is our unique venue featuring 6 Victorian Pubs all under 1 roof. We have a slower pace during the week and a very busy weekend pace, with a fun
and safe crowd ages from about 19 to 65. Many married couples in Toronto tell us they met at the Madison, we host many anniversary celebrations at the Pub and hotel get-away weekends.

Thank you for taking the time to write, so delighted to know you enjoyed our B&B and our Pub and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Thank you choosing the Madison. Sincerely, Kelly Kane - Hotel and Special Events Manager
Iowa City, Iowa
Reviewed 9 June 2014 via mobile

Close to public transit & really nice rooms. I enjoyed the private access & how homey it felt. Wifi was broken at hotel, but restaurant had it. Breakfast was cereal & breads. Nothing really fancy but it was sufficient. The hotel/restaurant is a maze, finding your way can be a challenge but it's a unique place. Definitely not your cookie cutter holiday inn or hyatt.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
madmanor, Special Events & Hotel Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write. Glad you enjoyed the hotel.

Our complimentary very basic continental self service breakfast is served in our main level Victorian Pub. Our basic continental self service breakfast includes:
Orange and Cranberry Juice, Coffee and Tea,
Hard Boiled Eggs, Assorted Bagels, Muffins, and Danish pastries,
Cream Cheese, Jam, Peanut Butter,
Selection of Boxed Cereals and some fruit.

We provide $12.00 complimentary pub voucher that we include with our bookings.
Madison Pub opens at 11:00 am and some guests use their coupon for a hot breakfast
or towards brunch on the weekends..

The Madison Manor is part of the Madison Avenue Pub, with 6 Victorian Pubs and is one of the largest Pub Venues of it's kind in North America. We are celebrating 30 years serving our guests.
Glad you enjoyed the Pub. We have a very busy weekend pace, with a fun and safe crowd ages from about 19 to 65.

Thank you choosing the Madison and we look forward to welcoming you for your return
visit. Sincerely, Kelly Kane - Hotel and Special Events Manage
Ottawa
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I have stayed over 10 times at the Madison in Toronto. I have traveled in Cairo, Istanbul etc. I like clean hotels at the cheapest price next to public transportation and restaurants. I always pack earplugs and therefore am not bothered by noise. I would recommend this place to very experienced travelers who have stayed in modest places world wide. My husband and I found our stay fantastic. The bathroom was very clean, the bed comfortable. The parking lot behind the hotel takes credit cards and one can add maximum time past the 24 hour limit. We parked the car on Thursday and left it there till Sunday, only having to pay twice. The breakfast is adequate. I will continue to use the Madison for all our trips to Toronto.

Room Tip: I don't like too many stairs and ask for the basement room which has fewer steps.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank H199
madmanor, Hotel and Special Events Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Thank you for you for your review of our Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, our 23 room bed and breakfast. As a world traveler, we thank you for your lovely review and look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy the city. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay.

All our guests love our location a short walk to all the restaurants and museums and main attractions downtown. Local Public transit is right at our door step so the convention centre and main downtown business centres and the University of Toronto are just minutes away.

Our very basic continental self service breakfast includes which is included in the room rate is:
Orange and Cranberry Juice, Coffee and Tea, Hard Boiled Eggs, Assorted Bagels, Muffins, and Danish pastries, Cream Cheese, Jam, Peanut Butter, Selection of Boxed Cereals and some
fruit.

We do not have an elevator in the B&B, but we will always be pleased to assist with your luggage if you need assistance, just let us know. Please let us know always what floor you would prefer.
Our 23 Bedroom B&B has lovely rooms:
our lower level, is floor 1, our main level is floor 2, our second level, is floor 3 our third level is floor 4.

Our Madison Manor B&B is a 100 year old Converted Mansion, each room is different, done

The Madison Avenue Pub is our unique venue featuring 6 Victorian Pubs all under
1 roof. Which is located beside the Madison Manor. We often include a $12.00 welcome restaurant voucher to enjoy drinks or food at our Madison Avenue Pub in the room rate as well.

Yes guests have mentioned they find the public parking located directly behind the hotel for about $20.00 per day, works well for them if our limited hotel parking is booked.

Glad you enjoyed our B&B and our Pub and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Geneva, Illinois
Reviewed 21 April 2014

This is a great little spot that I highly recommend for a casual weekend. It is situated in a great location with easy walking distance to shopping, restaurants and is next to the Madison Avenue Pub (which is huge!). This is close to the campus of U of Toronto so you share the block with Sororities/Fraternities. I had one of the Superior rooms (406), it was small, one queen size bed, nut much closet space and with it's own bathroom. Not complaining, the room was very comfortable, cozy, clean and perfect for a weekend visit. Parking is okay, there is a city parking lot behind the facility which I believe was $10 per day. I had to park there one day and then was able to get a parking spot next to the building I stayed in $9 per day. I would say if you can get there without a car you really do not need one and you can avoid the parking issues. The following are not complaints, just describing the amenities: there are no elevators, you get your ice from the adjacent pub, breakfast is Continental - no hot food (go to the pub for hot food), no credit card readers - manual imprint only. I bring this up because my modern Visa does not have raised information to be able to imprint so I had to use a different card - not intended personal expenses, no complimentary shuttle service. However, you really do not need all of that stuff for an enjoyable weekend. I did not think that there was excessive noise, I was able to sleep fine.

Room Tip: I was in room 406 and did not notice and was not bothered by noise that some complained about. Ther...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
madmanor, Special Events and Hotel Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 29 April 2014
Thank you for your detailed review. Glad you enjoyed your stay. Thank you

Please note the public parking located directly behind the hotel is $20.00 per day.
Our Hotel Parking is $18.00 per day. We are directly behind the Spadina Subway, and a short walk to most of the major downtown attractions from restaurants, theatre, shopping and museums. So it is the perfect location to be able to leave your car at home.

Our very basic continental self service breakfast includes:
fruit. We often include a $12.00 welcome voucher to enjoy drinks or food at the Madison Avenue Pub.

We do not have an elevator in the B&B, but we will always be pleased to assist with your luggage if you need assistance.

Glad you enjoyed our B&B and our Pub and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Trenton, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I was in Toronto for a large scholarly convention downtown, but did not want to stay in one of the large, soulless chain hotels, high end or not. TA reviewers, and others, seemed to have identified the ideal: a "boutique" hotel in three adjacent old mansions. The location--on the same block as a major subway stop, Spadina, with multiple streetcar and bus connections as well--is excellent: a straight shot, 15 minutes travel time, to the downtown conference hotels. The neighborhood has a "happening" student feel--the University of Toronto is close by, and (double edged "benefit") there are quite a few UT fraternity houses on the very same block.

Once upon a time this must have been a quiet, elegant block. Now it is neither. In fact, the Madison Manor Boutique Hotel's principal attraction is the multiple pubs it contains, which draw a high testosterone, high energy, high-volume crowd of young people. It take three bouncers at the entrance to check the age IDs of the many young people queuing up to get in. I am afraid they saw no need to bother to ask me for mine.

It is pretty loud. Patrons seem oblivious to the large sign the establishment has suspended between two of its houses exhorting its patrons:
"Please exit quietly for the benefit of our residential neighbours"

They don't.

Oh, the rooms -- I was not provided a spacious room, but rather a smallish one on the 3rd floor (no elevators, if you were wondering). The bathroom too was smallish. If I come back to town with my wife, I'd be unsure whether to come back for fear of similar tight quarters. Oh, it did have valued amenities -- WiFi is pretty reliable, and at no extra charge; bottled water, if you're unsure about what Mayor Ford puts in the city water supply. Breakfast too was included in the $119 nightly charge, but it was pretty bare-bones. Perhaps the danish is baked in house.

So it did give me what I was looking for--an alternative to the chained hotels--and a good dollop more of what I maybe wasn't looking for.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank trentonmakes
madmanor, Hotel and Special Events Manager at Madison Manor Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Thank you for you for your review. We look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy the city
with your wife and when you call ask about our large Fireplace suites.

The next time you return with your wife, please ask about our lovely Fireplace suites.

your luggage if you need assistance. Just ask our front desk when you check in
and we will be pleased to arrange for one of our staff to assist with your luggage
for check in and check out of your room.

The Madison Avenue Pub is our unique venue featuring 6 Victorian Pubs all under
1 roof. We are celebrating 30 years.
The Pub has a slower pace during the week and has a very busy weekend pace, with a fun
and safe crowd ages from about 19 to 65. Many married couples in Toronto tell us they met at the Madison, we host many anniversary celebrations.