“Not what we expected”

Novotel Toronto Centre
Ranked #47 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 25 August 2014

The location can't be beat, right downtown, a stone's throw from the St Laurence Market. And the lobby and restaurant were perfectly reasonable. But having stayed at other Novotel properties, this one seemed weak in the actual room. The decor was tired and dreary, and the electrical not up to speed. There were no accessible outlets anywhere near the bed, and in trying to find one, we discovered that much of the room was powered by extension cords running behind carpet baseboards. It all seemed a bit makeshift.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Oakstream
GM-Janak, General Manager at Novotel Toronto Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Thank you very much for the review. While it pleases me to read that our central location was to your liking, I apologize that our guest rooms did not meet the Novotel standards with which you are familiar. I will let our team know of your feedback.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,209)

Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed in the hotel for 2 nights while extensively traveling in Canada this summer. The worst experience through the whole travel. Once checked in our supposed to be nonsmoking room had heavy tobacco smell. We didn't even move into the room as I went back to the reception and asked for another room. Second room didn't smell tobacco but rather smelled old. But we were OK with it as been explained at the reception that the whole building is old and they can not renovate it because waiting for some kind permits from city. But the worst happened at the time of checking out. Here is conversation between me and front desk:
"Mr...., you know, there is a possibility that you car got broken into on hotel parking. When security arrived to check they could find anything wrong with it but please walk to the car and if there is something wrong with it let us know". Sure enough, car been broken into and window been broken and some things stollen. It's unbelievable that so called security didn't see anything wrong and nobody even bother to report it to us. No compensation has been offered by the hotel. In summary:
1. Safety of guests are compromised.
2. Service is pathetic.
3. Building old and rooms smell.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Verzo
GM-Janak, Manager at Novotel Toronto Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2014

Dear Verzo,
I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. .

In regards to the parking issue, please note that we do not own the public parking under the hotel but have negotiated preferential rates for our guests as a courtesy. There are huge signs in the parking and in the elevators clearly informing guests not to leave any belongings in the cars.

At Novotel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us.

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Hotel is 10 minute walk from train station, rooms were spacious and clean staff were very helpful.
We could walk everywhere we wanted to see, and some excellent restaurants very close by.Would have no problem about staying here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dominolimerick
GM-Janak, General Manager at Novotel Toronto Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Your kind words are sincerely appreciated! We hope your next stay is sometime soon.

Reviewed 22 August 2014

Stayed at the Novotel Toronto Centre this week for one night. As a former Torontonian I think it has the best location, close to the Harbourfront activities, close to Yonge-Dundas and within walking distance to CN Tower, Air Canada Centre, Entertainment District etc. I like that there are a variety of eating establishments right across the street and the St Lawrence market is only steps away for a great Peameal on a bun ( A true Canadian breakfast).
That being said the check in was not very welcoming. The foyer had mounds of luggage in it, presumably from a large group either checking in or out and no one appeared to guarding it. I was the only one trying to check in at the time ( 4:30 on a Monday) and there were 2 attendants, yet neither would look up from their screen to either welcome me or tell me they would be with me shortly. I waited 2-3 minutes, which I feel is unacceptable being the only person there.
With regard to the room, I was overlooking a parking garage, not a big deal for me as I was only staying one night. The rooms are big enough and more on the modern side, however they are very tired as are the hallways. In my bathroom, the tub was chipped and had some signs of midew. It did not smell but it certainly needed a face lift. Ammenities are standard but there was no conditioner, which I always appreciate having longer hair. My biggest pet peeve is that housekeeping didn't check the tissue box and I pulled out the last one, and there was no replacement box to be found.
Also note that the beds are rock hard. I am not usually fussy about beds but this one was most certainly like sleeping on a cement block.
I travel into the city very frequently and have stayed at most of the core hotels, I would certainly consider giving this place another chance simply because I really do like the location, but it would have to be a a good price. I wasn't expecting this to be a five star, but I would say it did not meet my expectations. Do note that there is a ton of construction around this hotel as there is around all of the downtown core in anticipation of the Pan AM Games.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room as to face South. You'll be looking at either a parking garage or if up...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Strategicevents

Thank you for feedback. I would like to apologize for providing you with less than stellar guest rooms and service. It is always our goal to exceed our guests’ expectations, and it sounds as though we did not come through for you. I will let our team know of your comments and we will see how we can improve our offerings in the future.

Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

Well located right in front lots and nice restaurants and Metro Supermarket. Three steps to
Major Queend St and CN Tower. Rooms are nice, spacious, nice bathroom but be sure to find yourself a non mold/smoking smell room. Also don't trust on wake up calls - they just don't happen...

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Jeanpeter K

Thank you for your review. I sincerely apologize that our guest rooms and service were not to your liking. We aim to exceed the expectations of our guests, and I am very disappointed to read that this was not the case during your stay with us.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

This hotel is an embarrassment for any Canadian that suggests this tired old barn of a hotel to international guests. Normally Novohotel is reliable for quality, but this location is ten years over due for a total Reno. My room stinks of some perfumed order mask and the corridor has an equally pungent and just as repulsive but different Oder. And the window does not open and the air conditioning rattles. . . . And I can't wait to checkout!! The furniture, with the exception of the bed, is so dirty I wouldn't dare sit, and even to walk on the carpet without shoes is a disgusting proposition.

I asked the front desk if I somehow got a wing that had been iced for a few years and she admitted it was due for a Reno, but that all standard rooms were basically in the same condition, the hotel was full, she couldn't do anything for me.

Shame on you Novotel for being so disrespectful to your loyal clients, and so destructive to your brand. I for one will punish you by not using you any more and I will stop recommending you to my guests from out of town.

Stayed: August 2014
3  Thank KendallBlake

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Toronto Centre. Exceptional service is what we strive like to be known for; therefore your feedback is extremely important as it helps us to continually improve and provides a memorable experience to our valued guests.

I am sorry that your experience did not fully meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my most sincere apologies. I will take your feedback and share it with our staff. I also invite you to speak with us offline to further discuss our services.

Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

The thing that saved the day was the location from which we could walk to St Laurence Market, to the harbor and ferry terminal and to eating choices. The parking was expensive but the good news was that we had convenient in-out privileges without waiting for a valet and could remain parked until midnight of our check-out day.

Fortunately we snagged a very low rate otherwise we would have felt very bad about the value. Our room was adequate and I was glad they provided the choice to have top sheets. There were dust bunnies falling out of the ceiling grille in the bathroom. The coffee pot was such that someone had to stand there holding the pot up against the release or else the water all accumulated up in the basket. The mini fridge had a sign on it that said, "this is a cooler, not a refrigerator," so I am glad we didn't count on having a refrigerator.

The hot tub had so much chlorine in it that we couldn't even sit in it with our eyes closed due to the burning. The pool had a very noticeable grime line, inches tall, around the water line. Furthermore, when we were there we were swimming with a group of screaming unaccompanied children under 12 years old - which since it is an indoor pool, was very loud.

Beyond all that, it was clean and the front desk staff was friendly and efficient, but there were no crowds checking in, which might have made a difference. We also loved the feel of walking down the long arched/covered sidewalk bedecked in flowers the length of the building.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Travelingmelinda
GM-NTC, General Manager at Novotel Toronto Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you for all of your feedback. While I am disappointed to read about the inconveniences you experienced during your stay with us, I am happy that you enjoyed our central location and attentive staff. I will let them know of your comments so we can refine our offerings.