“Good but not at Park Hyatt level”
Review of Park Hyatt Toronto

Ranked #21 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 25 January 2014

Second time I stayed here. This time used my suite upgrade as a Diamond member.

I have stayed at the Park Hyatt Paris, Park Hyatt Milan, Park Hyatt Tokyo, Park Hyatt Saigon, Park Hyatt Dubai which are all world class WOW factor hotels. I would strongly recommend all of them as spectacular hotels. The Toronto Park Hyatt is a good hotel but not at this league lofty level.

First the Good and close to Great
Great location for business and shopping.
Good breakfast at the restaurant. Noticed they no longer offer the steak and eggs which I had really enjoyed last time. Goldpassport Diamonds get free breakfast which is terrific.
Soap and shampoo in room is suitably upscale with some witty comments- check it out when you stay.
Rooms are a bit dated, but acceptable.
Nice complimentary show shine service
Fast house keeping

Not so great
Room service steak was overcooked and very ordinary considering price point
Room is a bit tired and needs to be brought to Park Hyatt level

I would not hesitate to come back, but I know this is no Park Hyatt. As long as you manage your expectations this a good but not great hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Koreaninsingapore
PR-At-The-Park, Manager at Park Hyatt Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Dear Diamond Member,

Thank you for taking the time to share such kind words. We remain appreciative of your continued support for the Park Hyatt brand.

I am terribly sorry to hear that your favourite items were not on the menu during your most recent stay. Our culinary team happily creates guest favourites upon request and it would be my pleasure to note this in your preferences as well. Unfortunately your in-room dining experience was not an enjoyable one which is unacceptable. Would you mind connecting with me directly to further discuss this at your convenience?

Once again, thank you for sharing your feedback with us and we look forward to welcoming you home on your next visit to Toronto.

Park Hyatt Toronto

Write a ReviewReviews (1,845)

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Overall
A hotel that our family visits at least once / twice per year when in Toronto. It is a good standby but can no longer be considered in the upper echelon of hotels in the city as it once was.

Pro's
- excellent staff overall; very polite and helpful, especially with our kids
- great location in the centre of midtown, Yorkville across the street
- rooftop lounge might be the best view / bar in the city for a quiet drink in comfortable surroundings
- decent size rooms in the north tower (but no view on this side)

Con's
- rooms are in need of a refresh, especially bathrooms and furniture which are all quite worn and dated
- fitness centre is attached to the spa and is quite small and under equipped for today's standards + no pool
- a frustrating detail; in the men's change rooms during our stay the sauna and steam room were never turned on in the morning and the hot tub was drained (New Year's Day)
- valet parking is over the top expensive ($45 per night is really not justifiable)

The Verdict
A good place to stay in the city in terms of location. However, the hotel will need some heavy re-investment in room quality and facilities in order to return to near the top of the Toronto list. I am afraid this is unlikely to happen.

Room Tip: South tower for the view; North tower for larger rooms
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank mapleleafer12
Reviewed 15 December 2013

My hubby and I spent a night at this hotel in December after a company Christmas party. It is our company's preferred hotel for business travelers and now I can see why.

My hubby got to the hotel before I did and was able to check in for both of us. The room was gorgeous. We were in a double room with a bed on one side and furniture on the other. The king sized bed was plush and inviting. The living area had a TV, couch, desk and a couple of chairs. There were several lamps throughout the room. I found the fixtures to be very tasteful and classy.

The bathroom was equally spacious and beautiful. From the floor to ceiling mirrors to the sunken, roman bathtub, everything about the bathroom was elegant.

I particularly enjoyed the little touches that made our stay perfect - things like water and ice for our turn down service, newspaper in the morning, sensor light in the closet, slippers and robe.

I found this hotel to be classic without feeling dated.

Room Tip: Tip! Although I didn't get a chance to visit it, the rooftop lounge is not to be missed.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ouida S
Reviewed 15 December 2013

I have stayed at this hotel 3 times. I have had major issues each time.

This time I am really not amused. My room wasn't the cleanest or maybe they really just don't use these rooms very often. I thought I was in the dungeon with very low ceilings and questionable in the area of cleanliness after what has happened to me. After one night I have developed a very noticeable rash on my face. It was itchy when I woke up but then it turned into a full blown rash. On my face. I am not allergic to anything but mold so I am wondering if that is the cause of it. Do not agree to stay on the lower floors of the south tower. Also if you lose anything do t expect it to return.

Room Tip: Pick the north tower.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 76sunflower
PR-At-The-Park, Manager at Park Hyatt Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. The safety of our guests and cleanliness of our facilities remains a top priority and I am terribly sorry to hear that you experienced challenges with your health during your recent travels.

When your schedule allows, please do not hesitate to connect with me directly so that I may note your Tower and Floor preferences and speak with you further regarding the concerns you noted.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

We recently stayed at the Park Hyatt Toronto for 10 nights on a business trip. It is quite possible that had we stayed for only 3 nights, this may have been a 4 star review, but as the old saying goes about familiarity breeding contempt...
On first blush, this is an attractive hotel, with some nice amenities and in an undeniably excellent location. Stay for an extended period, however and the cracks do begin to show. The sad fact is that they are largely related to the actions (or lack thereof) of certain staff.
Upon check in, there is little to complain about, although the gentleman we dealt with was rather stiff, as has been mentioned by other reviewers. We certainly did not feel effusively welcomed, but that was not a huge deal. Check in was efficient. We asked for a quiet room and were given a nice room on the 15th floor of the south tower. Unfortunately, the Toronto definition of 'quiet' is quite different to our own. Traffic noise from Bloor was perfectly audible with the window closed and we asked to be moved to the north tower, which was significantly quieter. This is not a criticism, just a warning to others who are not used to Toronto noise levels. Take the north-west side if you want relative quiet.
Unfortunately, this is where things began to slide somewhat. The new room was nowhere near as nicely appointed as the previous one. There was a hole in the carpet, torn wallpaper and only one bedside table. The toilet would not stop running and the sink took forever to drain and was obviously clogged. We reported both problems immediately and were assured they would be taken care of. They never were. We decided to suck it up, because the room was at least quiet.
At this point one of the first of several minor irritants appeared. No kettle or coffee maker in the room. This has been commented upon by several previous reviewers and one would expect that a hotel of the supposed calibre of the Hyatt would take such criticisms to heart and amend the problem. Even the humblest motel in this day and age provides such basic amenities unbidden. We received the same justification that others have mentioned, that there is a coffee machine off the main lobby - and indeed there is. This means that when I awaken in the morning, craving my first cup in order to face the day, I must trudge down to the lobby, looking and feeling my worst, in order to get my fix. This is simply unpleasant. Additionally, the machine is turned off after 9 am, so if you are late in rising, tough.
In the end, I was provided with a cheap plastic kettle so I could at least make tea.
Call me cynical, but I suspect an ulterior motive here. I can't help but feel that this is a way of steering guests towards the $25 per person room service breakfasts, which come with a freshly brewed pot.
Another example of a certain nickel and dime mentality arose shortly thereafter. Upon wishing to make a local call, I discovered that there is a $1.50 charge per call. Once again, many or most hotels of even a lower calibre have long since eliminated such fees. Why is the Hyatt continuing with this policy? I can see no justification that is not purely profit driven.
There were several examples of problems with key staff in the hotel. Two of the most annoying are as follows. There is a free car service within a 5 km radius of the hotel, which is certainly a nice touch - if it is run efficiently. We were not inclined to use it, as we prefer to walk around the centre and see the sights. We did have one occasion to book it, however and regretted doing so. It was our final day and we decided to visit the new aquarium at the CN tower, so we booked the car for 10 am on the Friday morning. This was done on the Wednesday. On Thursday morning, I received a call in my room wondering when we were coming down for our car. I politely clarified that the booking was for Friday and was assured that it was an error and the car would be waiting the next morning.
Upon descending the next morning, looking forward to our day out, we quickly realised that the car was nowhere in sight. I asked the concierge, Orsen, I believe, where the car was. I was informed that the driver had gone home and that the car did not run at 10am. I pointed out that we had booked two days prior and were assured twice that it was fine. His response? "Sorry about that." That was it - end of conversation. No offer to call us a cab or otherwise compensate for the inconvenience to us. Nothing. I'm sorry, that just does not cut it. Of course the car is a luxury and it was not a matter of life or death, but it left a bad taste in our mouths. If you are going to offer such a service, at least make sure it is well run and if you make an error, at least take responsibility for it and try to make amends.
To add insult to injury, upon returning to our room, we found our keys no longer worked. I went to the front desk and was informed that it was because it was 4 pm and we should have checked out hours ago. I responded that we were not due to check out until the following day. We had made one booking of nine days and then subsequently added an additional day shortly thereafter. This was greeted with much muttering about having to shift things around etc. etc. and I felt like it was somehow our fault, even though I had deliberately clarified the booking details upon checking in and had been assured that all was fine.
Another annoyance came at check-out. We were expecting to be picked up for the airport at 12.30, so we requested a half hour late check out, just to be polite. We were informed that the hotel was full and it would not be possible. Now, after a 10 day stay one would reasonably expect a little flexibility, right? I mean, surely all of the incoming guests are not arrive on the stroke of midday. Indeed, when we arrived in the lobby with our bags to wait it out, there was hardly a soul around. It just contributed to the feeling that we were somehow being hustled out the door. Somehow, the longer you stay, the less welcome you feel.
Additionally, upon returning home and checking my Hyatt Gold Passport account, I found that the points had not been credited. I sent an email to the address on the hotel's webpage. That was over a week ago. I am still waiting for a reply. So today I phoned the hotel and was transferred to three different people and finally to some centralised accounting office, where I was on hold for over 20 minutes before giving up and leaving a message. I will update the review later if I ever receive a reply. At this point I am not hopeful.
I could go on, but this is already rather long. There are certainly positives about the hotel and I would hate to come across as a whiner or spoiled in any way. It's was just an accumulation of irritants that served to somewhat poison what was otherwise a lovely trip.
I must say that the room cleaning staff are superb, unfailingly friendly and helpful and by far my favourite members of staff. Maybe put one or two of them on the desks.
The hotel is architecturally lovely and superbly located. It is, overall, a pleasant place to be, but it is badly let down by a lack of attention to detail from certain staff and a certain penny pinching approach to the convenience of guests. A pity, really.

Dr. B. Wills

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Munchiehk

Dear Dr. Wills,

Please allow me to firstly apologise for the inconveniences you shared and for the way in which your experience with us made you feel. It is always our goal to ensure that our guests feel welcome and their expectations exceeded from the moment they walk through our doors. This was not your experience with us and I do not take that lightly.

When you have a moment would you mind if we connected directly to further continue this dialogue and resolve the challenges with your Gold Passport account being credited?

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and I look forward to speaking with you when your schedule allows.

Reviewed 8 December 2013

I've been to this spot a few times with great experiences in the past; but the visit this weekend was a bit frustrating. The negatives seemed to outweigh the positives on this trip. Overall:

Positive:
-valet and front desk were very efficient and polite
-food at our events was great

Negative:
-the room I received was very noisy and could hear everything in the hallways
-bathroom shower floods the floor; the drain wouldn't close so a bath wasn't possible
-it seemed staff kept banging on my door when I was trying to sleep to replenish my bar fridge (that I never used) or offer bed turn-up service (who cares?). And then afterwards I could hear the staff banging on every other door in the hallway as the sounds travelled so much.
-security had to come came by at 3:30am to tone down my partying neighbours and again I could clearly here the conversation in the hallway.
-there was a coffee station around the corner from the front desk - I couldn't figure out how to get a coffee or maybe it was broken as I could only get a "brew time" message to come up on the machine.

Entertaining:
-When I entered the elevator to head down for our party there I had somehow stumbled onto the service staff elevator. I had a rolling parade of about 30 staff hopping on and off as it stopped on every floor. It was a funny experience while in my tuxedo.

Room Tip: Try and get a room at the end of the hallways or corners.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank R J
PR-At-The-Park, Manager at Park Hyatt Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Please accept our sincere apologies that your recent stay was not a comfortable one and for the inconveniences you shared. This is in no way the kind of experience we pride ourselves on offering our guests and if at all possible, I would like to connect with you when your schedule allows.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us and I look forward to speaking with you.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

I stayed at this place on a Friday night. The location was perfect close to some night pub and bar. Will try to go back to this same hotel next time. Nice part of town for the weekend. I got a nice view of the CN Tower... Probably got lucky.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo