“Acceptable for the $$ spent”

Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown
Ranked #72 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
toronto
“Acceptable for the $$ spent”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

Stayed one night, Thursday June 5. One of the more reasonable rates in downtown Toronto for a major hotel chain is why I stayed here, and was a big plus. The hotel is clearly showing its age inside and needs a major renovation, the only part of which I found unacceptable was that the carpet in my room was torn, patched and had several large dark stains in it - I think the hotel should take urgent action on this sort of thing, regardless of planned future overall renovations. The bathroom was fine and had good lighting. The room overall was clean and the bed was comfortable. The view from my 8th floor room was lovely. Upon arrival at the front door of the hotel by car, I was immediately accosted by a "street person" who rushed up and requested $5 dollars. When I refused he seemed upset and I was worried he would scratch or bang on my car. I reported this to management - the front desk staff do not have a clear view of the front entrance. Remember, that this hotel is bordering on Jarvis St., on the slightly seedier side of downtown Toronto - but in all fairness to the hotel, downtown Toronto is full of homeless people panhandling almost everywhere. Otherwise, the check in was speedy, if a little hurried with the check-in agent speaking very fast, I had to get him to repeat himself (and I speak perfect English), the parking garage was excellent for $20 for a full 24 hours, the breakfast area was cramped and crowded but the fook was ok, the breakfast hours finsished at 9:30 am not 11:30 am as the hotel informed me in an answer to an email query I sent them the day before I arrived. Overall, the experience was ok for the $$ spent. I would consider staying here again, but only at the same reasonable rate.

Room Tip: Pick a room far from the elevator for quietness.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank northern-friend
TARIQ A, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write and tells us about your stay. We are pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us, and that overall, you were satisfied with the service and facilities provided by our property. In the coming year our hotel will undergo numerous upgrades and improvements including renovations to the hotel room. We look forward to significantly raising the level of comfort and guest satisfaction throughout the hotel.
Again, thank you for your valuable feedback which can only serve to make us better. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Tariq Azad

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Korean first
Halifax, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

I had originally booked the Holiday but switched thinking this hotel was in a better location. It is closer to the main Younge Street, but in an area that is probably OK but has a seedy feel to it.

The lifts were terrible. My room was on 16th floor and during my 2 night stay there was never an occasion where all 3 lifts were working and it could 5 minutes to get to the room.

ROOM TIP: stay on a lower floor where you have the option to walk to the lobby if you don't want a long wait for the lift.

Breakfast was a buffet style, but the breakfast room was far too small for a hotel of this size

Even though the price was OK, there are better places to stay in Downtown Toronto

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Mark H
TARIQ A, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We are sorry for the shortfalls you have experienced during your stay. Your comments are highly valuable and will assist us in our continuous efforts to maintain and improve the service level we aim for. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to make your stay as best as it can be.
Tariq Azad

Travellers are raving about these Toronto hotels

philippines
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2014

I thought the hotel is right in downtown but it really is not. You need to walk a few blocks to reach Yonge street. But if you are at it, it is not a long walk and it is considered a good location after all since it is between Yonge/dundas or eaton center to the Lawrence market and distillery
The staff were courteous, very helpful. Breakfast was good and with a wide selection though the area gets packed up most of the time. There is a laundry area on site.
You can see that the elevators are quite old. It tends to jilt every time it stops.
I have no problem with the room. The bed, lines are well kept, very cozy indeed. Towels are also new and clean.
Toiletries are lacking thou there is a sign that you can request for toiletries if you need any.
Wifi was fast thou you need to connect to an access code which is very difficult to remember . There is a coffeemaker but there is no refrigerator and microwave in the room.
I would stay here again.
There is a computer at the lobby and printer you can use.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank gladysdv1
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience. I am glad that you enjoyed our breakfast selection and that it was a great overall stay for you. Thank you for the kind words about my staff. I will sure to share your comments, with my guest services team. I hope we will have the pleasure of serving you again in the near future.
Welland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

I chose this hotel because of the discounted price. My daughter tried to get a place conveniently located near her residence downtown in Toronto. I have to admit that I wasn't impressed with the room that I was given. It was in a corner looking out towards the street but had two concrete walls jutting out a few yards on either side of the window. Immediately, I felt claustrophobic and called the desk to change my room. They were courteous and profession and seemed to understand the problem. I would imagine that others have complained before. There was really nothing else to complain about other than the noise during the night. I wasn't used to yelling at 3am. I thought someone was being stabbed! As it turned out, there were a few young people obviously returning from a bar who thought they'd wake up some folks. No one was being murdered - I know because I got out of bed and looked out the window! I doubt that I would return to this hotel, although it was ok. I heard that the price was much better than other places. I paid $149,00 which I thought was plenty. My daughter had to circle a couple of times in order to pick me up at the front door due to traffic. It was ok, just ok.......rooms were clean for sure.

Room Tip: book in advance if you can, watch for business conventions, don't settle for a crummy room. I s...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Canday13
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Dear Canday13,

Thank you for choosing us and taking the time to review our hotel. While I am pleased with your kind words meant for our hotel staff, it is regrettable to learn that you were not fully satisfied with your stay. I sincerely apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced with the unusual noise levels. I have shared your comments with our hotel management to consider taking appropriate actions to avoid the same incidents from happening again.

As for the cost of our services, we strive to provide a competitive rate in the area. It is not our intent to inconvenient our guests instead provide rate options that make sense. Nevertheless, this point has also been noted for future consideration.

Faith R
Case Manager
IHGCare
Seagrave, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel because my husband was working in the Distillery District for the weekend and wanted to save him a long drive. I walked to and from the Go Station and and only 10min walk to his work. The room was very comfortable and accomodating. We were able to walk around the corner for supper. The breakfast seemed very popular, but am not a breakfast eater. I would return and recommend this hotel for travellers and workers Downtown Toronto.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
TARIQ A, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review the Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and found our services to be helpful and useful. I will sure to share your comments, with my guest services team. I hope we will have the pleasure of serving you again in the near future.
Kitchener, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a great place to stay if you need a decent room, for a good price in downtown Toronto. The breakfast here is absolutely awesome! The rooms were in nice shape. We would have liked a fridge, however, ice from the machine was good enough.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Nelson, British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

We needed a hotel in downtown Toronto for one night. I found when researching hotels that they are very expensive in downtown Toronto. I chose the Holiday Inn Express for it's location and it's price.

It is an older hotel but the maintenance is good. They include the continental breakfast (which was very plentiful and tasty) which helps the cost. The beds were very comfortable, the bathroom very small and older but okay.

The location was good - in that there was theatre a short walk away as well as plenty of restaurants to choose from. $10 ride from the train station. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: We were on an upper level floor so didn't hear much traffic noise (other than sirens)
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Dear Kendall M,

It’s very nice to read that our location, comfortable beds and complimentary breakfast were the highlights of your recent stay. We appreciate you taking the time to write us a review. Your comments regarding the overall condition of the hotel is highly appreciated. We will use your feedback to focus on improvements and hopefully on your next future visit, you’ll see the positive changes.

Kind Regards,