“WORST HOTEL WE'VE EVER STAYED IN”

Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown
Ranked #69 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 28 June 2014

i recently travailed to Toronto for a short visit with a friend. We chose this hotel because the price was low and we wanted to stay downtown (a area we were both familiar with) upon arrival we started to notice that this hotel was not what it seems to be. we arrived late at night and went straight to bed as soon as we checked in, but not without quickly glancing around the room. the door step was badly worn out, the bathroom was dirty, badly kept and out of date as was the rest of the room. We also noticed a foul smell probably from humidity that never went away. the room was hot and humid, we had to blast the AC just to get it comfortable. we woke up the first day to find out not only was our hotel not located downtown, it was across the street from a salvation army and had homeless men loitering outside. we opted out of complementary breakfast and went to a Tim Hortons instead. after spending the day around the city we both decided that we wanted to have dinner in Yorkville, so we asked the front desk if they had any recommendations, the men we spoke to said he had no idea he wasn't familiar with the area and asked the second men who answered the same thing, he offered to call the holiday inn in Yorkville to get some info, we stepped aside and waited in the lobby for him to do so. Instead he continued to check people in and answer other questions. we lost patience and decided to go to our room and check on Ubanspoon. we went back down to the lobby and asked if we can get a cab (the same man who was supposed to called the other location) and he told us it would be a 20 minute wait. never once did he acknowledge the fact that he never called, we opted to hail a cab ourselves. The next day we were going to the Molson Amphitheatre so we asked the front desk how to get there, the man we asked was confused for about 5 minutes before he finally looked it up. we asked if there was anywhere to eat and he told us yes, so we decided to eat there. when we arrived needless to say the info he gave us was wrong and we spent 45 minutes looking for somewhere to eat. Our last last day we decided to grab a coffee and come back to the room to finish packing and get ready to check out. The housekeeper immediately asked if we were checking out yet (it was only 9am) we told him no we were coming back. we checked out and finally found a knowledgeable staff member which we talked to for a bit about the terrible cab service we had all trip. as soon as we were leaving to go back home i realized that i had left my sweater in the hotel room. i immediately called the hotel and left my name and number with the lost and found, i assumed she was going to call me right back. four hours later frustrated and impatient i called the hotel back and asked about my sweater. the lady of the lost and found answered " I'm sorry dear i forget to look" at this point I'm fuming but kept cool. i left my name and number for the second time. Once again i expected a call back within 20 minutes, and hour late i called back for the third time and got an answering machine. at the end my rope and completely disgusted i decided to call back this time asking to speak with the manager. i explained the situation and he told me he didn't have access to that room and that she was out for the night. i continued asking him how it was possible for a hotel staff manager not to be allowed access to that room to which he kept repeat (also laughing in my face) the same stupid line that he would take my name and number and she would call back tomorrow. i finally caved in and left my name and number for the third time. She called back the next day informing me that my sweater wasn't in the room , i sweater, i may add, that never left the hotel because it was 30 degree the whole time we were there.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank jennifer m
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Dear jennifer m,

Thank you for sharing your experience online. It is regrettable that you were not able to fully enjoy your time at the hotel due to issues with cleanliness and guest services. Please accept our sincere apologies for any shortcomings you have experienced. I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain additional information regarding your experience. We look forward to hearing from you soon and be of further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

This hotel is a good location and walking distance to the mall along with other attractions.

I was not impressed with the room at all compared to my usual stays at holiday inn. They did not have any options for a king bed, the rooms are fairly small with no amenities such as a fridge or microwave in the room. The bed was very comfortable. However the front desk staff were very friendly and accommodating. I found the AC in the room extremely loud. The breakfast area is very tiny and happened to be over crowded during my stay.

Compared to other hotels in the area for the price it's probably a decent choice still, however compared to most of the holiday inns I have stayed at, it wasn't as nice.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
TARIQ A, Assistant General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
I really appreciate your taking the time to share your recent experience. Thank you for the kind words about my staff. My engineering team has addressed the A.C. unit, and will continue to monitor this and others to ensure they are performing at their best when we need them most Summer in Toronto. We’re sorry you were not fully satisfied with the breakfast area. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

Very close to the downtown area, the prices are quite reasonable and the staff are doing their best to serve you better. We have stayed there three years ago and did not look for an other hotel for our visit this time. We were very happy with our decision. If all you need is a nice room, breakfast and easy access to all important locations in Toronto, this is the hotel for you. The only negative thing I can say is, they have cancelled wi-fi connection in the morning of our departure date and it would be nice if it was done when we checked-out.

Room Tip: All rooms are the same quality.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank buciIstanbul
TARIQ A, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for have been writing and have been sharing your comments. I am very pleased to read your appraisal of our team services and facilities. I certainly know my colleagues will be equally pleased to know their efforts are making a memorable stay for you. We will share your comments. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I Made a reservation by calling this property directly. I was forwarded to their Central reservations like. Made reservation as usual by providing CC for guarenteeing my reservation for late arrival. To my amazement I was immediately charged $200 USD for a membership to their Ambassador Rewards program.....WITHOUT my authorization or even talking about whatever this rewards program is.... Nothing received to say they charged my CC. I found this by looking at my CC account. I called but received terrible service from this cimpany. I have been a IHG rewards member since 1997 and have loved staying at IHG properties but now I cannot trus their system so will not be staying with them in the future. By the way I am still waiting for a refund. Nothing returned after 8 days so far. Calling them is absolutely frustration in a bottle. terrible Terrible customer service.....Sad to see what was once a great chain drop so far as to do this to potential customers.........BEWARE when making your reservations with IHG and the Holiday Inn System...........

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Labradorman
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Labradorman,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. As a valued IHG Rewards Club member, it is regrettable to read about the issues you have experienced with your reservations. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience this has caused. I have sent you a private message in an effort to obtain more information about your experience.

We hope to hear from you very soon and be of further assistance.

Kind Regards,

Tracy V.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 23 June 2014

We would recommend this hotel, despite the fact that they experienced an usual problem while we stayed there on June 7 and 8. A city water pipe outside the building broke soon after our arrival on Saturday afternoon and was not fixed until Monday morning. We had no running water for more than 40 hours, which was a very difficult situation for all of the guests and the staff. This problem was especially difficult for the staff to remedy because the repair was more complicated for the city to repair than they expected and they kept having to push out the completion time for the repair. The staff maintained their professionalism throughout this difficult situation. We would not expect this problem to occur again and would definitely recommend this hotel to others - It's in a great location for exploring downtown Toronto. Part of the reason why we didn't try to change our reservation to another hotel is because we had made arrangements to have BG TOURS CANADA pick us up there on Monday morning for a tour of Niagara Falls. This was a great tour and we would highly recommend it.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Vi R

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your review. Firstly I sincerely apologize for the unfortunate situation you experienced during your stay with us. The problem was the water main broke outside under the street and the City of Toronto was trying to fix it. This happened at about 4PM on June 6th and at that time the city told us it would be a couple of hours to fix. But they ran in to problems with the repair and it took them much longer than expected. This was the unfortunate incident and the hotel had no control over.
We appreciate your understanding and hope to see you again in the very near future.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

I checked in in march 2014.The desk clerk was very humble and greeted us with a smile.The hotel was very clean all the staff was very helpful and friendly.My room was on the 4th floor. The room was very nice and clean had everything i needed .The beds are very comfortable .The only thing i would change is the breakfast it was not to good. Over all had a great experience. Would recommend it to any one .

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank James K
TARIQ A, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Toronto Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Valued Guest,
I really appreciate your taking the time to share your recent experience. Thank you for the kind words about my staff. I appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.Comments like yours tell us what we’re doing right, and show us areas in which we can improve, ensuring our ability to provide each guest with a positive stay. Thank you once again and we hope to be able to host your next visit to our fair city.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

I don't like the outside of the building in the beginning. Also, the front desk is actually small and make it looks not good. Another bad thing is that the breakfast is not as good as expected.

However, what I concerned is mostly nightview, and I actually like it when the counter give me a higher floor corner room for free. I took lots of shots in room. It's pretty good. Furthermore, the room is clean and nice! I slept well, and that's also what I concerned.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank PhotoTrekkerWalomi

Dear Valued Guest,
We truly appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay. Thank you so much for your nice review. We appreciate your business and hope to see you again soon!