“Avoid! Avoid! Avoid! Appalling and disgusting hotel; go somewhere (anywhere!) else.”

Radisson Admiral Toronto Harbourfront
Ranked #18 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
London, England
Reviewed 7 January 2014

We had continuous problems with this hotel from start to finish. I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone and strongly advise you to make alternative plans if at all possible.

First, the noise from ongoing construction work was terrible. We were awoken after a 2am arrival by a person drilling loudly next to our room early in the morning. The air-conditioning in our room was also really noisy and did not work properly, so our room kept getting too hot or cold.

Second, the location is really inconvenient - over 1 mile (or nearly 2 kms) to the nearest metro stop, including a dangerous stretch of road with no pavements and fast cars. I guess this was partly our fault for not checking the location more closely, but the hotel website is deliberately misleading on this point, as it says "you're just a short walk from Union Station".

Third: we were not allowed to have a late checkout even though the room was available. The Radisson website says the following:

"Check-out from Radisson hotels as late as 6 p.m. (subject to availability) instead of the normal check-out time at no extra cost. Our aim is to accommodate the needs of our guests and offer tailor made flexible solutions."

We were told this information (which had been key in making the booking) was "wrong". We then attempted to make a complaint about this misleading information under the Radisson guarantee. The Radisson website says the following:

"100% Guest Satisfaction: If you aren't satisfied with something, please let one of our staff know during your stay and we'll make it right or you won't pay. It's guaranteed."

However, it turns out this guarantee is worthless. The front desk refused to record our complaint or do anything and we have heard nothing since. The front desk stated that the guarantee was not followed at the hotel. The front desk staff woman was also very rude to us. As a result we had to check out early on the last morning, which was inconvenient and meant we could not use the hotel's facilities.

Fourth, the Radisson website says: "Free High-Speed Internet: We don’t just want you to stay with us, we want you to connect with us. That’s why high speed Internet is free with your stay."

In fact, the hotel makes you pay for "high speed internet". A "basic" and very slow connection is offered free provided you only need to connect 3 devices or less. When we queried this the front desk said the website was wrong, again, and that we shouldn't rely on the Radisson website at all as it is often wrong.

Fifth, we were given the worst room in the hotel as we had booked through a third party website even though the hotel was virtually empty. The staff member checking us in confirmed that this is routinely done as a punishment for booking through a third party website rather than direct with the hotel. We requested a move to a more normal standard room, but were denied.

Sixth problem – the mini-fridge in our room malfunctioned and froze everything in it. When we complained, nothing was done. I don’t think they even recorded our complaint. We had to throw away all our food.

Seventh, the hotel pool was closed - this was not notified before booking.

In summary, I wish we had gone somewhere else! But I look forward to the inevitable response from the hotel manager promising to magically fix all the complaints mentioned. NB I will update this review if the Radisson offers anything meaningful in respect of the problems we faced.

Room Tip: Beg for a high room.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank FarTravellingJames
Greg H, Front Office Manager at Radisson Admiral Toronto Harbourfront, responded to this review, 8 January 2014
FarTravelllingJames,

Thank you for taking the time to compose a very detailed review of our hotel. I will attempt to answer each point as you have laid them out.

Our renovations and the revitalization that comes along with them can be quite noisy at times. Admittedly the period that you did stay encompassed some demolition work which does involve decibel levels that exceed the normal sounds of sawing and nailing. During this time, as is indicated on the first page of our Expedia listing, there will be periods that are louder than others. I am sorry for the disruption this did cause to you and your family.

With regards to the air conditioning/heating unit & mini-fridge I do not note these issues as being reported. Yes we should always be ensuring that every chattel is in functional working order; however there are times that items are missed or do breakdown in between periods of checking and arrival. We should have and can be better than this….thank you for the feedback. Please note that we log all requests and follow up with each and everyone diligently. If we had known I have no doubt that we would have done the same in this situation.

I am proud of our location as we are close to all major attractions such as the CN Tower, Aquarium (5 minutes walking). The transit in the area is affected by the road work however Union Station is 10-15 minutes walking....often this is the best case scenario as buses do extend travel times in Toronto traffic.

With regards to the late checkout; it is our goal to be as flexible as possible. However there are times where, although not fully committed, certain room types can be sold out, including rooms with two queen size beds. I definitely believe we could have been more flexible in the check out time offered (1pm) and I thank you for bringing this to my attention. Our Yes I Can Service mantra can never be perfected…..there is always work to do!

I am sorry you had issues with the internet service. The free system is set at 3 mbit and can accommodate any number of devices you wish to throw at it (just ask!). This type of speed is great for checking email or surfing the web but does suffer when it comes to streaming large files like video. I will note your issue and see if there was a problem with the service during this time.....

The room that you were given is in need of renovations, hence the reason a full blown room renovation is currently underway, this I accept. However may I ask if you requested a change of rooms if not satisfied? While I do not see any of my staff responding in this manner I was not there and would appreciate if you could respond in due course with a name, time and date so that I am able to inquire/follow up/correct....thank you!

Our website does indicate that the outdoor pool is open seasonally. Being January in Toronto, most especially with the conditions as they have been, I would hope that this would be sufficient notice that the pool would not have been open. I am sorry if this was not clear.

FarTravellingJames, unfortunately I do not have contact information for you as your reservation was made through a 3rd party website where this information is not provided to us. I believe you are in possession of my business card and I would encourage you to contact me.

Finally, I can not promise a magical fix to any issue, however I believe that we work hard each and everyday to ensure everything, in each of our guest rooms, is up to standard. Items can slip through at times and we encourage our guests to call us on it so that we have the opportunity to make it right....this in an integral part of the 100% satisfaction guarantee.

FarTravellingJames, I am truly dismayed and sorry that you did not enjoy your time with us. Many of these issues should have been identified prior to your arrival. I sincerely hope that you do contact and allow for follow up and possible resolution.

Thank you again for your time.

Front Office Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Nova Scotia, Canada
Reviewed 3 January 2014

OK I knew I received a good price for 3 days in a hotel in Toronto but they really should have explained what the noise would be like during the day. In fairness, when we arrived, they did inform us that they were doing construction/renovations during the day. Unfortunately they did not tell me that it would the room directly above ours (326)! It started shortly after 9 a.m. ... barely awake as we are on holiday and the noise sounded like someone was going to come right through the ceiling into our bathroom! I am now sitting here as I type at 3 pm in the afternoon and my wife is trying to take a nap ... impossible ... my son is trying to watch TV ... impossible. The noise if really unbearable. I don't have a good answer in terms of how they could deal with renos other than ensuring that they didn't actually use the rooms that are directly beneath where work is being done.

I travel alot and look for good value ... I am also a fair reviewer and try to provide an accurate representation for other Tripadvisor users since I rely on it when I travel. I had checked out this hotel and is was rated as 29/141 in Toronto and hence why I selected it.

So let me offer some other feedback for other's consideration. Carpets in the room ... very soiled. Bathroom is desperately in need of work too ... chipped tub, rust stain from ceiling running down shower wall and garbage can that looks like someone has been sick all over it. Chair in room has stains on it. Beds are comfortable enough however as are pillows. Staff at front desk are very friendly and helpful as well ... one of the few pluses. The other plus is the location which is great even when walking in terribly cold temperatures.

Overall my opinion is avoid this hotel until their reno is complete or request a room that is no where near the actual work being done. I cannot even hear myself think as I type this review!!!

I can only assume that this is one of those cases where if it seems to good it probably is. I did get a good price through booking.com but I now understand why.

Room Tip: Ask to be provided a room away from the reno work ... or at least in a room that is not directly und...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank iantraveller
Greg H, Front Office Manager at Radisson Admiral Toronto Harbourfront, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
iantraveller,

Thank you for taking the time to compose a review of our hotel.

I must admit that you are correct when it comes to the noise levels, at times, during our renovations. As is indicated in the 'important information' section of the very first page of our booking.com listing we are undergoing a room renovation through to the end of April. The vast majority of the time the renovation noise is typical hammering, nailing and cutting. However when a floor is just being demolished there is a good amount of noise that does go into the removal of material. This can last a couple of days or a week depending on the speed of work and or issues that do arise. The renovation is extensive and does involve a complete gut of the washroom and removal of all of the fixtures including carpet (to be replaced with hardwood floors).

This renovation is extensive and the noise that did occur during your stay would have been heard no matter where you were placed in the building....although the intensity, I have no doubt, is greater just below. We do attempt to complete all disruptive work during normal business hours and during times we believe most will be out and about.

iantraveller, I am sorry that this work did cause a disruption to your stay. We think that the service we provide, the location in which we find ourselves and the eventual outcome of our renovations will provide that value that all travelers seek when looking for accommodations.

iantraveller, thank you again for your time and for sharing your experience with the world. We always attempt to be as transparent as possible and do hope that you will look to give us another opportunity to serve you....assumedly once our renovations are completed.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Great location although currently Toronto is doing a lot of road work on Queens Quay so the trams aren't running. Everything is within a reasonable walking distance. Shoeless Joes bar, the Amsterdam brewpub are right nearby and are pretty good restos. The hotel is currently under renovation but we did't find it disruptive. This is one of my favorite Toronto hotels and have stayed here many times and always found it a good choice.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Greg H, Front Office Manager at Radisson Admiral Toronto Harbourfront, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Ron B,

Thank you for taking the time to compose a review of our hotel.

We are delighted to read that you consistently enjoy your time with us and enjoy our location. Toronto is in full scale preparation mode for the 2015 Pan American Games and construction is definitely a challenge throughout the city.

Ron B, I want to again thank you for your time and for sharing your thoughts with the world. We are looking forward to your next visit with us.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 30 December 2013

Waterfront was nice walked to ACC saw the Raptors...walked to union got the subway to the theatre ..lots of restaurants around and on front street..comfortable environment ..instead of paying for parking at the ACC we just paid10.00 more and parked at the Radisson and walked it worked out perfect! Skating rink on the harborfront..open for all so nice to see purina pet museum beside the hotel so nice..safe and we had a view of the CN Tower...

Room Tip: View of the CN tower at night it lights up..I'm sure the water front would be nice also...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Greg H, Front Office Manager at Radisson Admiral Toronto Harbourfront, responded to this review, 31 December 2013
Cher255,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our hotel.

It sounds as though you had an excellent time in our city and that we were lucky enough to contribute to this experience. The Natrel skating rink is one of the highlights of the winter season for our staff and guests alike! Hopefully, if you didn’t have a chance this time, you will take advantage of 2 for 1 skate rentals offered to all of our guests at the rink!

Cher255, thank you again for taking the time to compose and share your review. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the future!

Greg Hives
Rochester, New York
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We read the warnings about construction before staying here, and all our expectations were met.

We had a lakeview room, and were glad we did. We were able to watch ferry crossings, and noted that there's a police station right below the hotel.

The front desk staff is very nice, professional, and accommodating. They're trained well and seem happy to do their jobs.

The only potential drawback to the hotel is its location. There aren't many top-notch dining options nearby, and it's a bit of a pain to walk to downtown Toronto, under highways and across rail tracks. Our best meals were in restaurants we drove to, and getting into and out of the hotel with all the nearby construction led to some false starts.

Small complaints: there were no convenient outlets to recharge a Kindle by the pool/outdoor cafe seating, and no working printer in the business centre. The hallways are also dark, mainly due to the paint scheme. In the wide view of things, these complaints are minor.

Overall, we would stay here again. The lakefront construction means that the area can only improve.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
happenstance3,

Thank you for taking the time to complete and share your review of our hotel.

Ideally our location is a great base for many of the major attractions that Toronto has to offer. Reality, however, does lead to the realization that the revitalization currently underway all along the Harbourfront makes navigation and getting around somewhat of an adventure at times. I am glad that you did have the opportunity to dine and enjoy some of the city's top notch fare!

Thank you for the feedback regarding the outlets/corridors and the business centre printer. I do note that the printer is functioning currently, however we will definitely keep an eye on things. With regards to the corridors.....change is coming, more than likely be towards the end of 2014 after our room renovations have been completed.

happenstance3, thank you again for taking the time out of your schedule to share your experience with the world and with us. We are excited at the improvements to come, both inside and out, and are looking forward to sharing these with you in the future.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Excellent hotel that went above and beyond at serving its purpose of providing a comfortable, welcoming atmosphere. I traveled to Toronto by myself for pure enjoyment and would definitely recommend this hotel and stay here again.

I'm sure I probably paid for the cheapest room at this hotel, so I wasn't expecting the primo view with a jacuzzi, but it was the perfect room for my stay! I had a city view and could see the CN Tower and the Blue Jays Stadium. Very comfortable bed, and it was actually bigger than I expected.

Amenities: FREE WATER! This is a big deal to me, so I loved this! Fitness room; a business center if you need a computer or a printer; free wifi; very comfortable beds; mini-fridge; Starbucks! Since I traveled here in the winter, I didn't bother to check out the pool, but I would guess it is very nice!

Very, very, very friendly staff here. I arrived to the Radisson around 11:30 A.M. right after my flight, and since check in wasn't until 3, I figured I could just set my stuff behind the desk while I walked around for a bit, but I was actually able to check in early!

I'm giving this hotel 5 stars, because of everything I said above!

As far as the location (and this has nothing to do with the hotel's service), its situated in the heart of Toronto's Harbourfront. Very beautiful area right on Lake Ontario and a cool, outdoor skating rink next door. The only downside to the Radisson's location is that there aren't a lot of restaurant options that are immediately available. There's a great, quiet sushi place across the street, but if you are looking for more options, or just a quick meal, you may walk a ways. I enjoy walking, so it wasn't that big of a deal for me, but in order to experience more of the city life, there was a lot of walking.

Overall, it was a great experience! :)

Room Tip: If you're on a budget while traveling, the cheapest rooms here are great! I know that they'v...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Kathryn D
Greg H, Front Office Manager at Radisson Admiral Toronto Harbourfront, responded to this review, 30 December 2013
Kathryn D,

Thank you for taking the time to complete and share a review of our hotel.

Our employees are and continue to be the backbone of our operation. They consistently strive to make each and every guests experience a comfortable one.....I am glad to read that they continue to exceed expectations.

As mentioned comfort is our number one priority and the amenities offered do compliment this mantra quite well, thank you for recognizing this.

Kathryn D, I am glad you enjoyed your time with us and in Toronto. We sincerely hope that, upon your return, you do come by for a return visit!

Many thanks again for your time.

Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 December 2013

We asked for 2 double beds, on arrival this option is not available! Fully booked out! Receptionists are rude and non-helpful in your requirements you booked. They offer no compensation with this regard. The maids in the morning are knocking on your door at 9am. Drilling in the hotel starts at 9am even though the website states it will be finished in october 2013 (writing this 27 December 2013)

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank Goread1357
Goread1357,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of our hotel.

First and foremost I want to apologize for the disruption to your stay that our renovations did cause. Truthfully the room renovations alert does read November 11, 2013 to April 30, 2014, however we did just complete lobby renovations and that one did have an October end date. I am sorry for the confusion this seems to have caused.

Our employees do take great pride in providing exemplary service on a consistent basis. I do understand, however, that at times they are not always at their best and I appreciate the feedback here. This will assist me in future feedback and coaching when dealing with issues such as the one you describe and I do thank you for this.

Finally Goread1357, I want to thank you for bringing our room renovations to the forefront. We are working diligently to improve ourselves and are all excited for the outcome. There will be instances of higher noise levels during this time of revitalization, of this there is no doubt. We have attempted to notify all of our guests of this and do try very hard to keep the noise restricted to normal business hours.

Goread1357 thank you again for taking the time to compose a review of our hotel. We sincerely hope that you have the opportunity to return and witness the outcome of our renovations.