“First Class All the Way - A Perfect Wedding Hotel Choice” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Westin Harbour Castle

The Westin Harbour Castle
Ranked #37 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto
“First Class All the Way - A Perfect Wedding Hotel Choice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

My husband and I got married last Saturday at Ward's Island, and booked the Westin Harbour Castle for the night of the wedding, as did all of our out-of-town guests. We chose this hotel primarily for the location, as the ferry docks are just a couple of steps away, and we wanted something nice.

We didn't book the wedding rate through the hotel, but we ended up getting a great deal through hotels.ca, and directed our guests to do the same. I would easily say that we would have been just as happy if we had paid the full price. The Westin really took care of all of us.

As most of our guests were coming in from out of town, we wanted to arrange a meeting spot and have a couple of drinks with them before the big day. My girls and I must have called like 10 bars to find out if they would do a private area for us, what the set up was, how much bottle service would be, etc. Nothing was working. Then I contacted the Westin directly, and talked to Erin Haid.

Erin was awesome. She basically listened to everything I needed, and put together a package for me. I was a bit skeptical about the bar area being in the lobby, but when we actually saw it, it was perfect. It was right by the doors, with signage directing "Cyr Wedding" guests to meet there, the bottle service was beautifully set up on it's own table, and we had a roped off area with lots of lounge-style seating, so it totally gave us a VIP feel.

When we checked in (which we were given an early check in with no problems at all), we were given an upgrade, a corner room with a beautiful lakeview. The guests were all able to find the ferry docks and get to the wedding without any problems at all.

**Break for my amazing wedding**

My HUSBAND(!!!) and I returned back to the hotel late at night after the wedding to find a lovely bottle of champagne and a plate of chocolate covered strawberries!! ERIN, was that you?? There was no card or anything and no one I knew said they had gifted us with this so presumably the hotel did. I swear, I did not pull any "this is my wedding!" B.S. with any of the staff; I didn't ask for anything!!

We ordered pizza (haha) off the late night menu, which was prompt and SO DELICIOUS.

The next morning, when we were saying bye to my NEW IN LAWS (!!!), a manager came by and congratulated us (again, I have no idea how they knew we just got married, but it seemed like all the staff knew?) and asked us about our stay, etc., and then asked if the kids wanted to make some paper flower bouquets at the craft station (no charge). They were ecstatic about that and it gave the adults an extra moment to say our goodbyes.

In short, this hotel provided an amazing experience for us and our out-of-town wedding guests. I don't write reviews regularly, only for excellent experiences.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Cynth_L
RKhote, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, 30 August 2011
Dear Newlyweds,

Congratulations to you both!

Your kind words regarding your experience with Erin and all of our associates involved has been shared with the team. Your ‘storybook’ experience means a lot to us and we are pleased to hear that everyone (including the little ones) left feeling well cared for.

Wishing you both a lifetime of happiness together...and we look forward to welcoming you back to celebrate future milestones!

Best Regards,
Rekha Khote
Westin Harbour Castle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,042)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
italvegan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2011

As a mom of then 2 small children, my husband surprised me with a night 'away' from the house and children on my birthday. Though close to home, this was a great getaway!
What a beautiful room we had. Spacious, great view (ask for lakeview), and there was actually space in the room to move around. The bar in the lobby was great-nice staff, very attentive. Breakfast the next morning was buffet, and even as a vegan, I had a lot of choices. (Be sure when you check in to ask for the highest floor possible!)
Would definitely go here again!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank italvegan
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Happy belated birthday!

I am happy to hear that you were able to relax as you celebrated your special day close to home.

Hope to see you during your next ‘staycation’.

Best Regards,
-Rekha Khote
Westin Harbour Castle
London, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

My bf and I decided to have a night away, we booked the hotel through StarFriend and booked a couples massage for when we arrived. Upon our check in to our room we were given a wheelchair accesable room with no shower (merely a bench and shower head behind a shower curtain) I called down to the front desk and asked to be moved. We were not allowed to be moved because we booked through StarFriend, instead to accomodate our romantic night away we were sent up wine. The couples massage was very nice and relaxing (the only good thing about our stay). We found a camera case, battery and computer hook up in our room (clearly not cleaned well) and we went for dinner at Toula and the food was extremely lackluster. I've eaten better pasta at East Side Marios. I've always had a great stay at this hotel, but this will seriously deminish my thoughts about coming here again. To accomodate our less than desirable stay we were offered a complimentary upgrade and breakfast for two the next time we stay. Sorry Westin, it will take more than that for us to come back!

Room Tip: you most likely won't get switched upon request
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Nancy D
Laval, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

Room was a very nice typical Westin double bed room. The signature westin heavenly bed was there and double shower head too. Room had a chair/chaise and a little table. There was a desk too. There was a fridge in a cabinet under the tv but it can cool beverages a bit better. All the typical stuff was there too, suitcase holder, an "elsafe" ironing board and an iron.

Bathroom was very nice. Thick counter top, nice sink and very cool mirror that had lights behind it. Double shower head was heavenly and the toilet. The toilet flushes similarly to like an airplane, very fast and powerful.

The hallways do not smell like cheap, unlike other similar 4* hotels that smell like cheap.

Pool was very nice, heated. There is a play area for kids and tennis courts as well as a basket ball net on the roof. There is a squash court and full gym and a sundeck.

Parking sucks, 30$ to park a block away and 40$ for valet. Internet is not free which should be. Very nice lobby area.

Pretty much westin is a good brand to choose for a hotel. This hotel was great. Also book online and get a discounted rate. I called for a price on a dbl lakeview and the rate was 278, booked online for the same and got 191.

Room Tip: Book online for discounted rate, not by phone
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

This hotel is located along the shores of Lake Ontario and boasts great scenic views. Hotel staff were friendly and efficient. Valet parking helped out big time as parking is a bit of a challenge in this area of Toronto.

Hotel lobby was decorated nice however many of the tables were covered with a heavy coating of dust? Very strange...no renovations were observed in progress. Hotel appeared to be very busy..Good Sign!

Stayed in the North Tower. Room was average...Again dusty? Bed was very comfortable and the LCD TV had a great picture.

The pool and workout areas were great. The kids thought the pool was cold. Not so...when compaired to the outside high temperature. Pool staff was very friendly and helped us out with towels etc..

Hotel is located within walking distance of ACC, 1 block to the north and 2-3 blocks to Rogers Center.

All in all a good stay. Nothing spectactular...We were expecting a bit more from this hotel.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Plymouth, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

Very clean and spacious rooms, an excellent location near the ferries that take visitors to the islands, just a short walk to some restaurants on the water's edge, but a little longer walk to the Blue Jays baseball stadium,all make this hotel a place to stay while in Toronto. Valet parking is available, but at a steep cost of 40 dollars per night, with in and out privileges. But the valets are exceptionally polite, service oriented and efficient. For a good night's rate, look at the Westin web site for special offers (e.g., for AAA members)

Bergen Co., New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2011

I stayed with my wife and 2 boys (10 &12) at this hotel in mid-August. It is a mammoth facility right on Lake Ontario with the ferries to the Toronto City Islands literally out the back door. The Rogers Centre, CN Tower, Air Canada Arena and numerous restaurants are easily walkable and the streetcar line directly in front of the hotel leads to the Ex.

We stayed on an upper floor overlooking the lake and Toronto City Airport which was spectacular. This is largely a typical "higher end" type hotel with a concierge desk in the front lobby and a large conference presence (Vietnamese doctors during our stay). However, there were some nice touches, including free ice cream in the lobby one afternoon and a free cocktail the next day.

The pricing was excellent for this level of hotel, particularly if you book a package (we booked the Hockey Hall of Fame Package, which included HOF tickets and free valet parking). Please note, however, that valet parking is usually $40.00 per night and self-parking $30.00 per night.

I would not hesitate to stay here again. The location is fantastic and when you do a little bit of work, it can be a very good value.

Room Tip: I am convince that being a member of the Starwood Preferrred Guest program got me a 10 floor upgrade...