“Westin Quality, Lakefront Location”

The Westin Harbour Castle
Ranked #32 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Minneapolis, MN
“Westin Quality, Lakefront Location”
Reviewed 17 September 2012

This hotel meets Westin's high standards. The Westin Heavenly beds and linens are luxurious. The location at the Toronto Ferry Terminal, in which ferries run to Toronto Island. The hotel is a short walk to Old Town, the downtown core, near public transportation and Gray Line and other city tour buses stop on the street near the lobby. I would recommend the hotel to others and I would stay here again. It is a massive hotel (900 rooms) and has an attached conference facility.

Now my gripes: I agree with other reviewers regarding the Green Initiative. The sign stated by opting in, linens would not be changed. I assumed this meant sheets but reality was the room was not cleaned. It appears housekeeping did not enter the room. Also, wifi is available in room for an considerable fee. However, I attended a conference and when I asked about wifi, I was told all costs would be reimbursed at check-out. If attending a conference, ASK ABOUT WIFI! Lastly, I wanted to book a daytrip to Niagara Falls. I knew there were a number of tour operators in Toronto so I asked the Concierge Mike for a recommendation. He only recommend one operator in which the hotel is affiliated and when the departure time did not work for me (8:15am) he had no other options. Lame. Even though there is a Gray Line stop outside the hotel, the concierge would not offer Gray Line as an option. Lastly, a local beer ordered in the bar was $9CAD for a pint.

Room Tip: Ask for free (or reimbursed) Wifi. Wifi was free for conference attendees but I had to ask at check...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,101)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed 17 September 2012

A great hotel by the waterfront close to attractions and located just after exiting the Gardiner. If doing business with a company pretty much next door like I do then this is ideal. Great area for walking, taking in the sites or just relaxing with a nice beverage or meal on the many outside patios. In addition if you are a Starwood Preferred then you get the benefits of increrasing your Starwood Points.

Room Tip: Nice to be able to view the Lake
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Eric A, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, 25 September 2012
Dear Grotto154964,

It’s great to know that you sincerely enjoyed our location and amenities.
We take great pride in making sure that our guests have everything at their disposal in order to have a comfortable and relaxing experience, and I am pleased to know that we met your expectations.

Thank you for sharing your great recommendation.
Best wishes,
Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I thought i would make a point of coming on here and writing my first review about this hotel. I must be honest, I was not asked about the green initiative so I cant really comment on that side of it. In my opinion the housekeeping was excellent, granted I didnt opt into any such scheme so I cant comment on them people that did. I was impressed with the room and the view was amazing over the lake. I didnt find the pillows that comfortable to sleep on, the beds whilst some people may like a memory foam style bed, it didnt do it for me, it made me feel uncomfortable and was very difficult to get to sleep. The location was excellent, within walking distance to union station for subway transport, Go Station for buses. Toronto film festival was going on, so was quite busy at times. Cant comment on the restaurant in the hotel, however with all that was going on, there were times when there was door slamming and music coming from outside somewhere. The staff were very attentive, bar the 'manager' at the check in desk, as was not told about the $200 deposit for incidentals, granted not a fault by the hotel, however when we declined to do so, there was a very uncomfortable feeling around the desks downstairs when needing help. However we was determined not to give the hotel for the duration of our holiday a large chunk of our spending money.

Room Tip: Lakeview rooms definitely worth the extra money, to guarantee an amazing view of the lake, if views...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I haven't been in the Westin since it was updated a while back. The lobby area is very lively and very well maintained. Had a very upscale look to it and actually looked fun to do the busy lobby bar and café. Our room had a beautiful view of the lake and all the amenities of a great room in a higher price range. The location was perfect for our date at Cirque Du Soleil that night. We chose to walk back after the show as it was only about 20 minutes away.

My only major complaint was the pillows; if you like super soft then you’ll love them. But I like a firm pillow and there were no options for one. I guess I could have called down and asked, but it was midnight at this point and just wanted to get to bed.

I would definitely come back if we needed a hotel close to the Rogers Centre/Air Canada Centre/Cirque.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 September 2012

We returned from toronto this week after an 11 night stay in the westin harbour castle. The hotel is very nice and the room were great. Great views. However we were asked about the green housekeeping when we checked in and agreed to have our room cleaned every 3 days in return for $5 dollar to spend on food and beverage within the hotel(not alcohol). In principle this seemed like a good idea. However on the 5th day we had still not seen a housekeeper. I rang reception and was told someone would be up to do it straight away. Come the following day they had still not been near. I had to request again. In total for an 11 day stay we were only cleaned twice. This is not a cheap hotel although we did get a good online deal. I would stay here again as the location is absolutely superb. Hotel is very impressive. Just the housekeeping to sort out!! Other than that no complaints. Would recomend to anyone just dont join the green scheme.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jan6494
London, Canada
Reviewed 15 September 2012

I just returned from The Westin Harbour Castle in the waterfront area of Toronto. I stayed there last November and was very pleased with the hotel and staff, and as such reviewed it that way on Trip Advisor.

This week, September 11th, 12th, and 13th, I returned there again during The Toronto International Film Festival week for another visit while in Toronto on business. At check-in, the clerk asked if I knew about their "Green Initiave". I did not, so she explained that if I opted not to have housekeeping change my sheets and towels, then they would give me either a $5. gift card per day, or points on my Hotel customer retention program. I said I would participate for two of the three nites. So after that I never saw housekeeping to change my sheets or replace my towels, nor did they make my bed, empty my garbage or vacuum. They never set a foot in my room, which cost me $459./night plus tax. All that for $5. per night off food or beverages in the hotel, which needed to be redeemed by check-out. And, by the way, it was not good for alcohol or gratuities. The Green Initiative translated in to not having to pay to have my room serviced for the three days I was there. The third day, it must have been serviced after I left for the next sucker who, with an eye on the environment, may opt to save the hotel cleaning expense under the guise of being Green..

For a three night stay, and a bill of over $1500 I can see saving on laundry soap and contaminationg the water system, but dusting, vacuuming and making the bed shouldn't have a huge global impact, and the $5 credit, that must be used before I checked out, was a further kick in the ___!

I like the hotel, but was let down by their Green Scam, well intended or not. In addition, the morning of my second day, there was NO hot water. That was a wake up service I didn't request.

Room Tip: Don't opt for the Green Inititave. Each day the cleanliness of my room deteriorated. Opt for the...
1 Thank MikeTLondon
Eric A, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, 8 October 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for being a loyal guest and for sharing your thoughts regarding your recent stay with us. I am sorry to read that this time, we didn't meet your expectations and appreciate your feedback on our Make a Green Choice program.

I understand how confusing it must have been for you, not knowing exactly what the program is and I would like to personally connect with you to discuss the matter in further details and would really appreciate if you could email me at harca@westin.com

Looking forward to connecting with you,
Kind regards,
Paris, France
Reviewed 14 September 2012

The hotel is located at a beautiful setting. However, it is rather tired looking. The room is rather dark and smells of old tobacco. The breakfast has a rather limited selection of food but costs a whopping $30 CAD including tax.

1 Thank NoNo0011
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your comments.
I am sorry to read that your recent stay wasn't flawless. I am very surprised reading about the smell of tobacco in the room - as you probably know, Westin hotels are smoke- free environments and we are very proud of it.
This is why I would like to connect with you and would really appreciate if you could email me at harca@westin.com to discuss the matter in further details.

Looking forward to connecting with you,