“An average stay...without much sleep”

The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto
Ranked #28 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 13 June 2013

Westin hotels have always been my preferred choice. For this stay, despite the heavenly bed, I didn't get much sleep during this stay. An all-night-crying baby next door certainly was a major factor. And the adjoining door between my room and the next room provided a clearer travel of sound/noise. I only wished that I wasn't placed on this floor (8/F) which filled with adjoined rooms catered to families.

Overall, the hotel seems a bit worn. Like most downtown hotels, driving and parking can be a bit inconvenient, especially when it's complicated by the construction in front of the hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank maxmiles
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2013

Dear maxmiles,
Thank you kindly for being such a loyal guest and for taking the time to share some thoughts on your recent stay.

I apologize that your experience did not meet your expectations and I am taking your comments seriously. As you know, at Westin, we strive for our guests to feel better than when they arrived and I understand that you did not sleep well and I am really sorry.

This is why I would like to discuss with you in further details and personally apologize. Could you please email me at experienceteam@westin.com?

I look forward to connecting with you

Reviewed 11 June 2013

I had the chance to host for a big incentive group staying at the hotel, the big group were split up in 15 small groups with at least 30 people per group. I stayed at the hotel for full 15 days, working very closely with front desk staffs, specially Ingrild, Gus, Aditya and Bin. They not only helped in offering help in coordinating check-in to make the group arrival easy and smooth, my guests had the chance to find their rooms and rest without waiting once their bus arrived at the hotel.

The hotel offers unbeatable lake view, great bedding, outstanding amenities and the smiles on every staff faces. Although it was only one night experience for my guests, but they all loved the hotel; I truly believe The Westin Harbour Castle will for sure be their only choice for their next visit to Toronto! Good job my friends!

Room Tip: Rooms with full lake view
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank CYTS-TonyLin

Dear TonyLin ,
Thank you for hosting your event with us!

I am pleased to hear that you made a personal connection with so many of our associates and I am delighted to know that the whole team managed to make your event and your 2 –week stay with us a memorable visit.

We all looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 11 June 2013

The Harbour Castle is your typical big box hotel - that is, functional but lacking in charm and decent amenities.

Facilities: out of the way (I'd prefer to be on Front or around Yorkville). They were also obscured by the construction work in front of the entrance. The elevators were something of a source of frustration/amusement. For the 2 days I was there there was a convention of 850 nurses, who seemed to all be housed in the north tower. This, coupled with the fact that only 2 elevators ever seemed to be working at any given time, meant long delays going from the 11th floor to the lobby or meeting room floor. One colleague was stranded on the 19th floor for a good 20 minutes waiting for an elevator to come. When it did, it was full. Of course.

Room: functional with a view overlooking a beat-up tennis court, another building and a construction site.

Food: on the plus side, the menu does list gluten-free items and they serve an awesome breakfast of steel cut oatmeal with cinnamon and apples (get the fresh berries on the side!). Unfortunately, it doesn't list dairy-free items. I had room service one night and ordered the chicken in corn tortilla sans the cheese. I still got sick (and thus spent two days of meetings hoping no one would notice I was in yoga pants). As I ate nothing else that could've been contaminated, I urge dairy allergy people to be careful.

Service: was okay. From check-in to check-out, there was nothing special or out of the ordinary.

Gym and pool: meh. I didn't bother using either. The pool wasn't that big and the gym looked packed when I went by in the morning. I put my bikini away and went down to Spadina to Imprint Pilates and had a great one-on-one workout there (only $38 for the introductory session!).

Spa: I went for the facial/massage special. The receptionist was a trip: definitely the most enjoyable experience at the hotel was chatting with her. The facial and massage were decent, but it wasn't exactly the most relaxing or luxurious experience. Apparently, they don't have adequate space because the massage table was in a room with the ambience of a warehouse, housing another table and a hydrobath. The waves crashing soundtrack was a tad loud, so it was more like a tsunami hitting the shore. After the massage was complete, I had to get dressed, walk to another room, undress and then dawn a towel-dress. Unh ... how about a robe? (the Westin has some pretty comfy bathrobes, by the way).

I didn't book this hotel and, given the plethora of choices in TO, I wouldn't book it in the future.

1  Thank Bleurussie

Dear Bleurussie,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent conference.
I sincerely apologize that you were not feeling well during your meetings and will follow-up immediately with our Director of Food and Beverage.

I really appreciate you taking the time to share your comments on our Spa, guest rooms and Westin Workout Fitness Studio. At Westin, we strive to exceed all guests’ expectations and because we did not meet that promise during your recent visit, I would like to discuss with you in further details. Could you please email me at experienceteam@westin.com?

I look forward to connecting with you and once again, I apologize for falling short of your expectations.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

While the lobby of the Westin Harbour Castle felt outdated and corporate, the room itself, on the 31st floor with a great view of the lake and downtown, was spacious, comfortable, and quiet. Staff was very helpful with my wi-fi question.

1  Thank davinabaum

Dear davinabaum,
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind review.

I am pleased to know that you truly enjoyed your stay with us as well as the legendary Westin Heavenly Bed.
I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 10 June 2013

I stayed here in the fall with my boyfriend, we loved most the view of the waterfront! It was a lovely day outside, many boats were sailing, and people moving. The location is fun for water, but it is not close to the 'hustle & bustle' of downtown Toronto. Rooms were fine: clean, comfortable, spacious. Other than the location/view, nothing much remarkable about the hotel. Nothing to complain about either!

Room Tip: waterfront rooms!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarasoda27

Dear Sarasoda27,

I appreciate you taking the time to share your review online and I thank you and your boyfriend for staying with us recently.

I am pleased to know that you enjoyed our location right by the lake and I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back soon! If you need anything in the meantime, please email me at experienceteam@westin.com

See you soon!

Reviewed 10 June 2013

The hotel is very nice with a terrific location on the water and even better are the staff who are absolutely wonderful. Friendly, courteous, helpful in every interaction that I had with them in my two night stay. And the food that was served, especially the buffet lunches, was wonderful...fresh, tasty, attractive, and appealing.
My room overlooked the harbour and I really enjoyed the view, the comfortable bed, and how clean the room was. Even two free bottles of water which was a nice touch.

Room Tip: I enjoyed being on the top floor because of the view.
1  Thank Caroleerik
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2013

Dear Caroleerik,

I am pleased that you had a wonderful stay at our hotel and enjoyed our location and the lunch buffet!

Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your review with fellow travelers.
I look forward to your next visit,

Reviewed 9 June 2013

Stayed here for a conference in June 2013. Arrived late at night and the only room left was a handicapped room in the south tower. The room was really not up to the standard of a westin hotel. Called and spoke to joe at the front desk who apologized sincerely that every other room was taken due to a conference but that there would be openings tomorrow. The next day, Juan got me switched into a beautiful room in the north tower on the 31st floor facing the lake. The staff at the westin were consistently friendly, accommodating and helpful. The hotel is really great, but a little out of the way for many of the other downtown attractions such as shopping and restaurants. Just a little, and everything is a quick 5-10 min cab ride away.

I would definitely avoid getting a handicapped room in the south tower if at all possible. Otherwise, great experience!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business

Dear David1003,
Thank you kindly for staying with us during your recent conference.

I apologize that your first night with us wasn’t as expected but am pleased to know that the team managed to eventually make your stay a memorable one!
Please do not hesitate to email me at experienceteam@westin.com prior to your next visit so that I can ensure you get a nice room once again.