“Very comfortable stay”

The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto
Ranked #28 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 4 December 2013

I've stayed here a few times for business recently. Staff are always very friendly and helpful. The rooms and hallways are a little dated, but comfortable and clean. I've always received an upgrade being SPG Gold - same can't be said for many other SPG hotels. Room service is quick, and food decent.
Pros: Clean, comfortable, good nights sleep, upgrades for SPG
Cons: Rooms with connectors are noisy, limited on the go breakfast options (they have a little kiosk but it's limited to muffins and pastries - no yogurts, fruits etc), slightly dated.

Room Tip: Lake front rooms are quieter. Avoid rooms with the connector doors - very noisy can hear right throu...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear Ash M,

Let me start by thanking you for being a loyal SPG guest of our hotel. I am pleased that our teams always take good care of you.

At Westin, we value feedback and realize how important it is to listen to our guests who would like to have more options at the coffee bar. This is why I am delighted to let you know that our Director of Food and Beverage is currently working on expanding our offerings there and I trust you will be pleased with the result.

I will look forward to your comments once this project is completed.
Happy holidays,

Reviewed 3 December 2013

Our recent stay at the Westin Harbour Castle was fantastic. The room was huge and had a great view of the lake. The location was perfect - we were a short walk from Front Street and very close to the island ferries (we were in town for an island wedding). The hotel staff were very helpful and friendly too. A special thank you to Juan Galindo for going above and beyond to ensure our stay was a memorable one. We will be back at the Westin when we are next in Toronto.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear HappyHappyTourist,

This is exactly how it should be for all guests of our hotel.
I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your wonderful review!

Sounds like your whole experience was flawless. The island wedding sounds lovely!
I will make sure to thank Juan for taking such great care of you.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon,
Happy Holidays!

Reviewed 2 December 2013

I stayed for 5 days for a business trip. The rooms are spacious, clean with excellent service.
Cleaning the ceramic around the bath, deserves a little more attention.
As we were more than a hundred people, the meals were buffet. Food were OK

Room Tip: ask for the south tower with a view over the CN Tower and the lake.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear zara1213,.
Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your review and for staying with us recently with your group.
I am delighted to read that you truly enjoyed your stay with us.

I will share your comment about the ceramic in the bathroom with our Director of Housekeeping.
I look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Happy Holidays!

Reviewed 30 November 2013

I've stay at this establishment multiple times. Being a local of the GTA this hotel provides an interesting experience and feeling toward the city.

Pros

- Great views: The waterfront view is breath taking, however depending on your room selection you may get a city view filled with construction

- Beautiful: The lobby is a nice touch, very welcoming and elegant.

- Beds are comfortable

- Excellent work out and swimming facility

- Welcoming staff

Cons

Locaiton: The location of the hotel is very convenient if you are going to Guvernment Night Club, or the ACC, CN, and Rogers Centre. However, the location is remote making it far from shopping, acess to subway lines, and late night dining.

Price: The hotel is very beautiful, rooms, are clean, but the price you are paying between 170-230 it can be pricey. Starwood Hotel does have monthly offers, but it takes some research.

Parking: The hotel has a small and limited parking lot, with a charge of $30 or $45 in and outs. Also the hotel is on a ramp meaning to get to the front doors you have to walk up a hill or bunch of stair which, can be slippery in the winter time.

Overall: This is great hotel on the water but, if I wasn't going to the Guverment or ACC I would not stay here for the price of a room.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
EdwinFrizzell, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2013

Dear Kabeer K,

Feedback is a gift and I really appreciate you sharing your review.

I am sorry to hear that you found our parking price a bit steep. We do some comparative analysis every quarter with other major four-star hotels in downtown Toronto and feel that we are in line with pricing but I will certainly keep your feedback in mind.

Again, sorry that you didn’t fully appreciate our location on Lake Ontario. I understand that all our guests do not wish to walk to go downtown, but I can assure you that nothing beats this location in the summer months and I truly hope you can visit us again to experience what we truly are about.

Thank you for taking the time to share your review.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

Really enjoy this hotel. Staff are always very friendly and helpful. My only feedback is some of the rooms are in need of some renos and are a bit worn. Meeting facilities are outstanding and food is very good. This is always my first pick if I need to be downtown for business.

Room Tip: High floors in the North Tower I believe are the most recently redone. Stay away from elevators, th...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Powerjay

Dear Powerjay,

I appreciate you posting this great review!
I will share your comments with the team as a great reminder of what we do best at The Westin Harbour Castle.

Reviewed 29 November 2013

Stayed twice in November and had lakeview rooms both times. The rooms are getting a little worn but the view is great and the beds are comfortable. Air conditioning unit is very loud though and I wish the bathrooms were updated.

Love the pool here. Tried breakfast buffet in the restaurant and it was very good.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
EdwinFrizzell, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear cuteontariocouple,

First of all, let me thank you for staying with us recently and for your review
Feedback is a gift and I really appreciate you sharing your review.

I hope to welcome you back.

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Let me come out and say it... the Westin Harbour Castle sucks.

I'm a Starwood Platinum member as a function of having to travel extensively. For the past 6 months I've been staying at the Westin Montreal on a weekly basis, and the Montreal property is everything that the Harbour Castle is not.

We stayed here as a couple on a weekend when I thought it'd just be a good escape from the day to day, just to explore downtown Toronto. I'd booked because I had expected standards similar to the Montreal property.

The check-in counters have lines that are annoyingly long. The facility desperately screams for a renovation. Carpets look old, the building has a strange smell to it, door frames are dirty and it just doesn't feel like a 4 star property.

Our lakeview terrace room had some cheap crappy chairs on the terrace that had seen better days, and the balcony railing was kinda rusted as well. The washroom had grime stuck in the tiles and the bathroom just felt worn out. Not to mention, not only was the carpet worn out but there were holes in it.

The breakfast was pretty marginal, the food did not feel fresh.

Sounds like I'm nitpicking, but everything I've listed here is the EXACT opposite of Westin Montreal. One can deal with these quirks if one knows its not a premium property, nor is the price premium. But to charge what they charge, the property just doesn't justify it.

Seems like the business is built on the basis of conference/convention traffic that they get as a default in Toronto. Sorry if you don't have a choice and have to stay in this dump, but if you're a leisure traveller - spend your money and time somewhere else.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ozk81
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 29 November 2013

Dear ozk81,
First of all, let me start by thanking you for being a loyal SPG guest and for taking the time to share some feedback following your recent visit.

We just finished renovating our lobby and public space and are often complimented on the Westin signature white-tea smell that we diffuse throughout the hotel, so your comments are very concerning to me.

What you describe about the condition of your room is not acceptable and I will follow-up immediately with our Director of Housekeeping. As you know Westin hotels worldwide fairly well, I am sure you know that your last experience doesn’t reflect our high standards of quality and service. This is why I would love to personally connect with you, discuss your review in further details and get the chance to apologize properly. Can you please email me your contact information and check-in date at experienceteam@westin.com?

I will look forward to your email,
Thanks again for bringing your comments to my attention,