“Quality slipping; lack of email response”

The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto
Ranked #28 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 1 March 2014

Before checking in I sent the hotel two emails to two different addresses listed on the reservation confirmation it sent me. I did not receive a response to either email asking about accessible self-parking. Upon arrival, I asked the parking attendant who said the only parking available was valet...so that's what I went with. (45$). I guess that's what accessible parking is at this hotel. At check in there was no clear signage for Starwood Elite. It was also the first time I stayed there when no room upgrade was offered (usually a larger corner room). However room did have a lake view. Hallway was very dirty and carpet was not clean. Checked in at 3:30 and there were room service trays in the hall. At 9 the next morning the trays were still there. Obviously staff was in the hallways to deliver newspapers...did they just walk by the dirty trays??? Room was very clean and so was the bathroom. Again though, a lack of quality when you see towels that are threadbare in places. The new showerheads are super. Used the pool area and it was very clean and welcoming. All in all, an ok stay but quality really seems to be slipping. One last point - with the confirming email there was a note about beverages and food offerings available in the 'Chart' room (I believe) for Gold status guests. I asked a staffer in the lobby about this and he knew nothing about it. Not sure if it exists or not. Like I say, quality and responsiveness are not up to usual Westin standards.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear WayneinCollingwood,

I have just noticed that you left a similar review on our Starwood Reviews Website and I just replied to it. I hope to connect with you shortly.

Reviewed 26 February 2014

I stayed here in October 2013, for 2 nights on business.

PROS:

- LOCATION - At the base of Bay St (near the Yonge Street corridor), this is on the water so you can get some pretty neat lake/Toronto Island views, but also just city neat views.

More importantly, it is right on the streetcar line BUT Queen’s Quay is undergoing years long construction, so it’s not running. More on that later.

It is a 10-15 minute walk from Union Station, which is not bad, but not exactly close to the subway.

Also, there is a fairly large convenience store across the street, which is pretty good --- a much better option to the limited or overpriced breakfasts.

- BUILDING – Very retro, with the turning restaurant at the top (don’t know if it works). But, it’s been updated, so it’s a nice lobby.

- ROOMS - Updated and good size, with a small, but functional lounge area in the room. Bathroom and shower nice. Good mattresses and pillows.
- Pretty good wifi in room.

- COST – I paid $155 per night. Not great, but not bad. I didn’t use an internet discount seller.

CONS:

- LOCATION - Back to this…. It is the victim – but future beneficiary - of a complete overhaul of Queen’s Quay. It will be amazing when completely.

At present, however, this means that if flying in at Toronto Island Airport (Billy Bishop), then you cannot take what would normally be a direct, 10 minute streetcar ride. Instead for the next 2 years, you’ll need to take a circuitous taxi route through as much construction up through Front, or King, or whatever street and then come back down. There may be a shuttle, but it would be victim to the same traffic.

- RESTAURANTS – Very limited selection nearby. Need to go up to Front Street or beyond (10 minute walk+)

- HOSPITALITY – Check-in people seemed to really not like or care about their jobs, and therefore, service. Answered questions, but not eagerly.

SUMMARY: A good option particularly if your destination is south of the Gardiner Expressway. Nice rooms and lobby, but check-in service is poor.

TIP: An airport shuttle to/from Pearson International Airport is available from a stop at the base of Yonge Street (south of Harbour). It’s not exactly intuitive, but it’s only a 5 minute walk across the street (and east) from the lobby. I think it is $20 return.

Enjoy Toronto - a great city!

GlobalTime

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank GlobalTime
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear GlobalTime,
Thank you for staying with us during your recent business trip. I am pleased to read that you truly enjoyed your stay and our location by the lake as well as you managed to relax well in your guestroom.

Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your very comprehensive review. This is due to feedback like yours that we can keep improving our services and I would like to assure you that I will follow-up with our teams. I will look forward to welcoming you back once the revitalization on Queen’s Quay is over. As you rightly pointed it out, the whole city of Toronto is currently under renovation to be ready on time for the Toronto 2015 PanAm Games.

Should you need anything prior to your next visit, please do not hesitate to email me personally at experienceteam@westin.com

Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

My employer uses this as our base when here in Toronto. I was allocated north tower 2337. The room is tucked away at the end of the corridor. The views out over the frozen lake were amazing. The room was very clean and well appointed. I ordered room service which was good value, hot and tasty. The westin beds worldwide are, IMHO , the best. I slept well and was even able to grab a 4 hour afternoon nap ! The staff here are delightful from top to bottom. Highly recommended

• Stayed: February 2014

Dear ianbeale,
I am pleased to read that your employer chose our hotel as your base in Toronto. It is always our pleasure to welcome you to our hotel and to Toronto.
I appreciate you sharing your kind review – thank you. I am pleased to read that you truly enjoyed your stay and slept well on the Westin Heavenly Bed.

Our teams will look forward to welcoming you back soon. Should you need anything prior to your next visit, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me personally at experienceteam@westin.com

Reviewed 26 February 2014

Checked-in on a Friday evening for a weekend stay in Toronto to visit friends and have a weekend of going out on the town. Room was standard fare for those who have stayed at a Westin before so it was nice to have some consistency in quality. Conveniently located by the harbourfront this would definitely make a great hotel to stay at during the summer especially if you want to walk and wander around. Taxi rides to lounges and bars downtown were about $15 including tip. Was offered a late check-out on the Sunday which was also nice given the nature of the stay. Will definitely come back again to stay at some point in the future.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Dear P L,
Thank you for staying with us recently while visiting your friends. I appreciate you taking the time to share some feedback on your stay.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your room as well as our location on the waterfront.
I will look forward to welcoming you back - this summer hopefully!

Reviewed 25 February 2014

I have been to this hotel many, many times. In recent years I've gone to see Toronto Rock Lacrosse games. They have a promotion for Rock fans and the players stay at the hotel too so one is likely to get a chance to stop and chat with a player about the game before or after.

This time around when I checked in Monica was patient and of great help. I had booked rooms for family and for different length of stays so it was nice she paid attention to the details and got everything set out the way it needed to be, despite me messing up things. She also was quick to welcome my daughter and engage her in conversation, which made my kids feel important.

Everyone liked their rooms, spacious, nice clean bathrooms and comfortable.

The pool is also a great area to hang out, and although busy this weekend plenty of room for everyone to have fun. The only complaint I would say is the need to invest in some new pool noodles and beach balls - the existing ones were in quite poor shape.

All in all as always staff are friendly, helpful and the location is great with a wonderful view of the core or the lake or both!

Room Tip: One of our rooms had a "tower view" - which is a little deceiving because there are so man...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Lebrocq17,
WOW, this is truly a wonderful review – thank you for sharing it!
I am pleased to read that you truly enjoyed your stay and I am delighted that you took advatange of our special ROCKFAN rate while attending a Toronto Lacrosse Game!

I will make sure to thank Monica for taking great care of you and your daughter.
I will look forward to welcoming you both again soon – maybe for another game before the end of the season.

Should you need anything in the meantime, please do not hesitate to email me personally at experienceteam@westin.com
Thanks again for sharing your kind recommendation.

Reviewed 25 February 2014

I stayed at the Westin Harbor Castle and from the moment I walked thru the doors I knew it was going to be a great stay. Upon check in we asked if they had a "nicer room" than what we had paid for, and immediately we were upgraded to one of the top floors overlooking the water.
This hotel does not disappoint!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Yolylinda,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. This is exactly how it should feel at Westin hotels and I'm happy to read that you truly enjoyed your stay.

I thank you for sharing your kind recommendation and I look forward to welcoming you again soon!

Reviewed 23 February 2014

Have stayed @ the Westin in several cities in North America. Harbour castle does not disappoint. Upon initial checkin, Mr. Sandoon upgraded us from a double room to a connecting room with a murphy bed. Sure made our trip! He wanted to be sure we were comfotable (party of three). Tried to tip & he would not accept. Had breakfast @ the hotel & the buffet was excellent! Valet was prompt. Will not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Scott V,
Thank you for being a loyal guest of Westin hotels. I truly appreciate you taking the time to share your wonderful recommendation.

It was a pleasure to welcome you and I am pleased to read that you left us feeling better than when you arrived. This is exactly how it should feel at Westin!

I will look forward to welcoming you again soon .Should you need anything prior to your next visit, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me personally at experienceteam@westin.com