“Stunning views on the waterfront”

The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto
Ranked #28 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 9 March 2014

The Westin Harbour Castle is basically a Toronto institution, and I remembered my parents choosing it for their anniversary getaway within the city about twenty years ago. We lucked into it on Hotwire for a one-night stay in Toronto. Although it's not really in an ideal location for a winter trip to Toronto, as the attractions of Harbourfront aren't really open and it's on the wrong side of the highway from the downtown core, we still had a lovely stay at the hotel. The front desk staff were incredibly attentive, apologizing profusely for the 4-person line-up at check-in (which only took about 5-10 minutes to clear), and then very kindly arranging for us to get a room on a higher floor with a beautiful view out across the Toronto islands. The room was spacious with a huge bank of windows. The bed was comfortable, and the bathroom was fine, without being anything exceptional. I can imagine it would be a lovely hotel to stay at during the summer as a base for exploring the waterfront and the islands. We certainly had no complaints about our quick overnight stay.

Parking is expensive at the hotel, but there are public Green P lots nearby, including a very reasonably priced on on the Esplanade, if you're looking to save a bit of money and walk a few blocks to your car. The soundproofing with the connecting room could have been a bit better - we had an exceptionally noisy neighbour, but putting the fans on drowned out her noise.

Room Tip: A waterfront view is worth asking for!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 13 March 2014

Dear MatthewH77,
I am truly pleased to read that our hotel is an institution with your family and I thank you for sharing your kind recommendation.
It was a pleasure to welcome you and to arrange an upgrade for your room!

I hope to welcome you back this summer. Should you need anything in the meantime, please do not hesitate to email me personally at experienceteam@westin.com

Reviewed 8 March 2014

I will be staying at the Westin Harbour Castle for two nights during March break with my Husband and two small children. Based on the reviews I've read I'm really excited about our stay. Unfortunately it has started off on a poor note. The woman helping me find the best rates last night was very kind and helpful... I had found a deal online and she was able to find me an even better deal using my CAA membership. However, when I read through the confirmation l realized the rate charged required a AGO membership, not a CAA membership. When I called back today to check that I was still able to get the rate, I was informed that not only was I not able to get that rate, but the original deal I had found had also changed so I was unable to get either deal. After being told I would have to pay quite a bit more... I was able to eventually find another deal not using my CAA membership, however, this one has cancellation, and prepaying conditions that I was hoping to avoid. I wonder how much extra I'd be paying if I hadn't found this mistake before I arrived. Always frustrating when you are charged for someone else's mistake. Looking at the website. Hopefully this is the only glitch we have to deal with... really looking forward to some time away with the family, especially if the hotel is a great as the rest of the reviews say!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tricia C

Dear Tricia C,
It is a pleasure to welcome you and your family in the next few days over March break. I trust you will all have a relaxing family stay.

I am really sorry to read about your frustrating experience over the phone with our reservation center. Should you need anything before arrival, please don’t hesitate to call the team at the hotel directly at 416.869.1600 and if you would like to confirm your room rate.

Please don’t hesitate to contact me personally if you need anything at experienceteam@westin.com

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Stayed in February for business. Friendly and efficient staff. Rooms were good, but nothing special. Great views over the lake, didn't get to spend much time in the hotel during the day, but from what I saw the communal areas downstairs are spacious with good views too. Nice gym and pool, although gym a little small for a large hotel. Walk to main areas of downtown Toronto is not far but can be very cold in winter - not currently connected to the PATH.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear SW15_22,
Thank you for staying with us during your recent business trip. I am pleased to read that you truly enjoyed your stay and managed to relax well in your guestroom.

I appreciate you taking the time to share your kind recommendation and I look forward to welcoming you back soon, hoping that you’ll find more time to take advantage of all our facilities on your next visit.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

Stayed here for 1 night in a room overlooking Lake Ontario and the Island Airport. The view was great.

Rooms are well appointed, quiet and clean. The beds and furniture are comfortable.

The common areas of the hotel are clean and up to date which is to be expected at a Westin.

The location is good but a little off the beaten path to the main sights of Toronto. It would be good if you wanted to be close to the Air Canada Centre or Queens Quay.

We would happily return to the Westin Harbour Castle.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends

Dear NorthernCDNTraveller,
Thank you for choosing to visit us during your recent visit to Toronto. I appreciate you taking the time to share some thoughts on your stay.

At Westin, we strive to make sure that our guests leave us feeling better than when they arrived and I am pleased to read that we succeeded and that you managed to relax well.
I will look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We stayed for one night last weekend and have no complaints for this beautiful hotel.

It's not the most beautiful on the outside, but the rooms are gorgeous. Some of the side views are the pretties either, but its not their fault parts of Toronto are so damn ugly!

Check in was very quick and we asked if there was any way to upgrade to king size beds and the girl didn't even hesitate to honor the request.

The next morning we checked out in a matter of seconds and away we went.

Unfortunately we didn't use any of the facilities or did much wondering around, but I'm sure everything is as beautiful as the pictures because the rooms certainly were.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank BTownMiss
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear BTownMiss,
Thank you for staying with us last weekend. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our location and that our team was able to upgrade your room.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back soon, so that you can take advantage of our facilities.
Looking forward to your next visit,

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I stayed overnight at this hotel and it was a great experience. The lobby has a wonderful energy to it (people having fun - eating good food- socializing). My room was nice- quiet a nice escape from the busy city. The location is VERY close to the Air Canada Centre and fairly close to the Eaton Centre. Excellent service also.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo

Dear Carrie B,
Thank you for choosing to visit us during your recent visit to Toronto.

I appreciate you taking the time to share some thoughts on your stay and I am pleased to read that you truly enjoyed our room and took advantage of our location to explore downtown Toronto.
I hope you took our complimentary shuttle to the Eaton Centre for your shopping outing.

I will look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please make sure to email me directly at experienceteam@westin.com should you need anything prior to your next visit.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

stayed for 4 nights ; convenient location , went there in Feb so was cold to walk on the harbour, room was Okay and they offer $5 daily voucher if you want to opt out cleaning the room, I used them at the starbucks in the lobby (their coffee was average and not the best) ; I found the $45 valet parking is a bit pricy, came on Sat and there was no self parking available so had to use the valet, for self parking you'll have to walk as it's not at the location of the hotel, check in wasn't the best as the employee who helped us was kind of not welcoming but the check out was easy , Overall I may be back.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear dr_mas80,
Thank you for staying with us recently and for taking the time to share some thoughts on your recent visit.

I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our location and took advantage of our Make a Green Choice Program.

I am very concerned by your comment on our front desk associate and would like to follow-up with you personally as this is not the quality of service our hotel is proud of. Could you please email me your reservation number at experienceteam@westin.com. I will look forward to connecting with you.