“Nice hotel on waterfront”

The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto
Ranked #30 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Just got back from a 4 day stay at this hotel while attending a conference. Overall, enjoyed my stay. My recommendation of whether to stay or not would depend on what you want out of a hotel.

Pros:
- On the waterfront, so you have a nice relaxing view of the harbor. I experienced a lot of fog while there in April, making it difficult half the time to see anything out the window. However, I expect it would be much nicer during the summer months.
- Very welcoming and helpful staff.
- Extremely comfortable bed (something Westin is known for).
- Pretty quiet, which surprised me given that my room was right near the elevator.
- Westin didn't charge extra to use the gym, and it was open 24 hours.
- Each day you opt out of room service, you get $5 to spend on food there or reward points.

Cons:
- If you are attending a conference, there are other equally nice hotels much closer to the main conference center and central attractions (e.g., CNN tower). Took about 20 minutes to the conference center - not too bad but at the end of a long day, sometimes you just want to get back to your room quickly.
- The room service food wasn't just bad it was truly awful and expensive for the quantity and quality (note: I am NOT a picky eater). I ordered rice/vegetables thinking it would be a stir fry. I ended up with about a cup of plain white rice (no sauce, butter, salt, etc.) with about 2 small slices of red pepper on top, all for about $15. If you are staying there, I would highly recommend eating elsewhere!
- Incidentals are expensive. Internet is about $15 per day (we had it waived due to being there for a conference) and parking is $40 plus tax if you want your car indoors and about $30 if you want to park a block away from the hotel, outdoors. And if you want indoor parking, you are forced to use a valet.

Whether I personally went back or not would depend on the price. I think there are equally good hotels much closer to the places I would want to visit in Toronto. However, I would pick this hotel again if I got a good deal and do feel comfortable recommending it to others.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2014

Dear Worldtraveler2882,
It was a pleasure to welcome you during your recent conference.
I understand that you enjoyed our location right on the lake, interacted well with our teams and took advantage of the 24-hour access to the WestinWorkout Fitness Studio.
I thank you for bringing to my attention your comment about your in-room dining experience. I will make sure to follow-up immediately with our Director of Food and Beverage as this is very concerning and most definitely not the quality of food our hotel is famous for.

I am also sorry to read that you were not given any alternative options for parking. There are various public parking places near the hotel – as detailed on our website and reservation emails and I am sorry that our team did not make you aware of these other options.

Because your recent visit did not exceed your expectations, I would like to discuss your review in further details and personally apologize. Could you please send me your contact information at experienceteam@westin.com?

I will look forward to connecting with you
Tim Reardon

Write a ReviewReviews (4,674)

Reviewed 29 April 2014

I travel once a year in this hotel very weel located downtown Toronto for 10 years.
This hotel is very clean and personnel are very sweet. Good service.
But this year I notice some problems in my room, south aisle.
Water flows in bathroom, and windows should need paint.

Room Tip: You should ask for a view on Lake Ontario south might be best place
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManagerWestin, Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2014

Dear webdan,
Thank you for being a loyal guest of our hotel. It is always a pleasure to welcome you and get some feedback on what can be improved.

The hotel is currently undergoing a complete renovation of all public space and we are scheduling a complete renovation of our guestrooms for next year. I trust you will be pleased with the result.
However, I understand that your last visit did not exceed your expectations and I apologize for this.

I would love to hear from you prior to your next visit, so that I can ensure you experience a flawless Westin stay – as you should have had this past stay.
Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with our team. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Reviewed 29 April 2014

We loved our stay at the Westin Harbour Castle. We were upgraded to a waterfront view room. It was wonderfully relaxing. I love the Starbucks coffee and coffee maker in room. Close to Rogers Centre, and distillery district. Would definitely stay there again...

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Colin Aimie L

Dear Colin Aimie L,
It was a pleasure welcoming you and I thank you for sharing some comments on your recent visit.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our location and the spectacular views from your room.

I will look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Rooms and interior design were both clean, sharp, and enjoyable. Stayed for business trip and location was especially convenient for conference center meetings. If looking for dependable, higher end accomodations, definitely recommend.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business

Dear Chris E,
Thank you for staying with us during your recent business trip. I am pleased to read that you truly enjoyed your stay and managed to relax well in your guestroom.

Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your kind recommendation.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

My husband and I spent 3 days here over Spring Break and very much enjoyed our stay. We were upgraded to the 32nd floor and city and water views, which were ok. We ended up with views looking toward the Distillery District and a more industrial area of the lakefront. A view of the CN Tower or the islands would have been preferable but I can't complain as we got an excellent rate on the room from a 3rd party site. Room was spacious and the bed was SOOOO comfortable. We had no trouble with the elevator speeds; they always ran well. We didn't have a long wait at check in either but I did see lines throughout the week at both the general and SPF guest desk.

I did research parking (thank you TripAdvisor) and saved a good chunk of money by using the Green P lot just a couple of blocks away. My husband and I are both in good shape so we parked and walked everywhere. Most important to us, the hotel is a reasonable walking distance to the Hockey Hall of Fame.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Allison O

Dear Alligrrrrl,
It was a pleasure to welcome you and your husband during March Break.

I am pleased you were upgraded to one of our penthouse rooms and truly enjoyed your visit. This is great to know that you slept well in your Westin Heavenly Bed. We will look forward to welcoming you both back soon.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your kind recommendation.

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

I had stayed at the Westin once before and had a terrible experience. Jeniffer took care of us and brought us back, we have been back numerous times since then.

The rooms are fantastic, Wwe stayed in a corner king suite. It had an amazing view. We were located on the 32nd floor with a great view. All Westin properties have incredible beds and are clean and bright.

The hotel is really relaxed, they have a tranquility rule that keeps the hotel quiet. It's walking distance to a view good bars and the ACC. I really feel the service from the staff sets this hotel apart from others.

• Stayed: March 2014

WOW, this is a truly wonderful review – thank you for sharing it, dear AR72LQ!

I understand you thoroughly enjoyed your recent visit and I will make sure to thank Jen Moon for going the extra mile and taking such great care of you. This is exactly how it should feel at Westin.

I will look forward to your next visit.Should you need anything in the meantime, please do not hesitate to email me personally at experienceteam@westin.com
Thanks again for sharing your kind recommendation and for being a loyal guest of our hotel.

Reviewed 27 April 2014

The main reason I opted to stay here was that it was the only hotel that offered self-parking (about a block away). Other than that, the stay was merely okay. Check-in took quite a long time and the elevators were amongst some of the slowest I have experienced. The most surprising aspect of the room was that there is no mini-fridge, which was the first I have ever felt deprived of such a basic amenity in a hotel room.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Jeremy O,

I'm sorry to read that your recent visit did not live up to your expectations. I appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback and I would love to connect with you personally and discuss your experience in further details.

At your earliest convenience, could you please email me your contact information and reservation number at experienceteam@westin.com?
I will look forward to connecting with you