“Terrible”

The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto
Ranked #29 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
“Terrible”
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We were in Toronto for the CN Tower climb and we got what we thought, would be a nice place. First we arrived, valet was only one person on, it was super busy. Was told to wait. Then got inside and had to wait behind 20 people, only 2 clerks on; then room wasn't ready. Was told it be soon; so we went for lunch, and was told they call and they never. We came back to hotel, over an hour later, still not ready, we had to take another room on a higher floor, wasn't my preference. As well I asked for no feathers in the room, on my reservation; both clerks said they de- feather room, wouldn't be long, and waited 30 mins, then called down and made the 3rd request and still no one, then 4th request, we waited another 20 minutes, so I had to stand outside our room, do to my allergies of my room. To make the best of things, our room was by the elevator, with its paper thin doors and walls and was awaken 3 times that night. Absolutely a bad experience. I read the reviews and seen some bad ones and didn't think nothing of it, only people whining. Do yourself a favour, listen to the reviews and spend your money somewhere else.

• Stayed May 2014
2 Thank Jane H
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Jane H,

First of all, let me start by thanking you for taking the time to share some feedback on your recent visit. This is due to feedback like yours that we can constantly improve our services. What you describe in your review is very concerning. You mention that you had read reviews prior to booking your stay with us and I am sure you saw all the positive comments from guests who rave about the quality of service.

Your experience falls way below our standards and is concerning. I would like to personally discuss your review in further details and would appreciate if you could email me your contact information at experienceteam@westin.com

I will look forward to connecting with you.
Thank you again for bringing these issues to my attention.
Tim Reardon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,146)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Ypsilanti, Michigan
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We stayed for a week in the North Tower on the PH level. The room was very well outfitted. The flat screet worked. The matress and sheets were of high quality--I smiled when I noted that the option to purchase similar items was presented by materials in the room. The flat screen worked without flaws. Robes were available. The staff was attentive and hellpful throughout. Interesting option to receive a $5 gift card each day you elect not to have the room cleaned. On the negative side the entrance is a challenge that requires clearer direction on how to get into the building wihout walking up the car ramp. It is about .7 miles from Union Station and presents reasonably close proximity to the subway. Restaurants in the hotel are grossly over priced particularly for breakfast. Parking is also absurd--leave your car at home. The construction associated with the redoing of the trolley car presents isssues that are easily overcome. The view is terrific and the shower was wonderful.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear thomas42837,
Thank you for staying with us recently. I am pleased to read that you relaxed well in your Westin Heavenly Bed and enjoyed the views from our penthouse floor.

I will share your comment regarding the entranceway with our teams for consideration when re-doing the exterior signs.

I will look forward to welcoming you back soon again. Should you need anything in the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact me personally at experienceteam@westin.com
American Abroad
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Large hotel but front desk makes one feel as individual! Beds are very comfortable! Rooms are efficiently laid out and furnished. Bathrooms well fitted but the common problem of housekeeping not always knowing products to put in correctly - shampoo, conditioner, body wash, body lotion.
In room coffee is greatly appreciated but should be stocked for number of guests in room!

Drawer space and closet space are great, especially for convention goer with larger wardrobe needs. Workspace is very well thought out and comfortable. Better room temperature control would be nice.

Good, healthy food options available t Starbucks in lobbybut only until 1:30pm. The lobby bar offers food service all day but regretfully female guests seem to be invisible to staff. Italian on the 38th floor is very good for food and service!

Doormen seem surprised when more than 4 people need a taxi at same time and were not efficient in getting taxis. hotel seems to prefer groups arriving/departing by smooth coach.
The area around hotel is huge construction site so not easy to walk out for sightseeing or dining. Hope to return in about 5 years to see completion.

Room Tip: Lake views are great!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mlhfoley
Dear mlhfoley,
This truly is a wonderful review and I would like to thank you for sharing it with fellow travelers.

I understand you thoroughly enjoyed your stay and I am pleased to read that you slept well in your Westin Heavenly Bed and that our associates took great care of you. This is exactly how it should feel at Westin hotels!

It is great that you took the time to enjoy dinner at Toula Restaurant and I am sure you enjoyed the views of Toronto from up there!

I will look forward to your next visit. Should you need anything in the meantime, please do not hesitate to email me personally at experienceteam@westin.com
Thanks again for sharing your kind recommendation.
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 1 May 2014

Just got back from a 4 day stay at this hotel while attending a conference. Overall, enjoyed my stay. My recommendation of whether to stay or not would depend on what you want out of a hotel.

Pros:
- On the waterfront, so you have a nice relaxing view of the harbor. I experienced a lot of fog while there in April, making it difficult half the time to see anything out the window. However, I expect it would be much nicer during the summer months.
- Very welcoming and helpful staff.
- Extremely comfortable bed (something Westin is known for).
- Pretty quiet, which surprised me given that my room was right near the elevator.
- Westin didn't charge extra to use the gym, and it was open 24 hours.
- Each day you opt out of room service, you get $5 to spend on food there or reward points.

Cons:
- If you are attending a conference, there are other equally nice hotels much closer to the main conference center and central attractions (e.g., CNN tower). Took about 20 minutes to the conference center - not too bad but at the end of a long day, sometimes you just want to get back to your room quickly.
- The room service food wasn't just bad it was truly awful and expensive for the quantity and quality (note: I am NOT a picky eater). I ordered rice/vegetables thinking it would be a stir fry. I ended up with about a cup of plain white rice (no sauce, butter, salt, etc.) with about 2 small slices of red pepper on top, all for about $15. If you are staying there, I would highly recommend eating elsewhere!
- Incidentals are expensive. Internet is about $15 per day (we had it waived due to being there for a conference) and parking is $40 plus tax if you want your car indoors and about $30 if you want to park a block away from the hotel, outdoors. And if you want indoor parking, you are forced to use a valet.

Whether I personally went back or not would depend on the price. I think there are equally good hotels much closer to the places I would want to visit in Toronto. However, I would pick this hotel again if I got a good deal and do feel comfortable recommending it to others.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Dear Worldtraveler2882,
It was a pleasure to welcome you during your recent conference.
I understand that you enjoyed our location right on the lake, interacted well with our teams and took advantage of the 24-hour access to the WestinWorkout Fitness Studio.
I thank you for bringing to my attention your comment about your in-room dining experience. I will make sure to follow-up immediately with our Director of Food and Beverage as this is very concerning and most definitely not the quality of food our hotel is famous for.

I am also sorry to read that you were not given any alternative options for parking. There are various public parking places near the hotel – as detailed on our website and reservation emails and I am sorry that our team did not make you aware of these other options.

Because your recent visit did not exceed your expectations, I would like to discuss your review in further details and personally apologize. Could you please send me your contact information at experienceteam@westin.com?

I will look forward to connecting with you
Québec
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I travel once a year in this hotel very weel located downtown Toronto for 10 years.
This hotel is very clean and personnel are very sweet. Good service.
But this year I notice some problems in my room, south aisle.
Water flows in bathroom, and windows should need paint.

Room Tip: You should ask for a view on Lake Ontario south might be best place
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManagerWestin, Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto, responded to this review, 1 May 2014
Dear webdan,
Thank you for being a loyal guest of our hotel. It is always a pleasure to welcome you and get some feedback on what can be improved.

The hotel is currently undergoing a complete renovation of all public space and we are scheduling a complete renovation of our guestrooms for next year. I trust you will be pleased with the result.
However, I understand that your last visit did not exceed your expectations and I apologize for this.

I would love to hear from you prior to your next visit, so that I can ensure you experience a flawless Westin stay – as you should have had this past stay.
Thank you again for sharing your thoughts with our team. We all look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Kitchener, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We loved our stay at the Westin Harbour Castle. We were upgraded to a waterfront view room. It was wonderfully relaxing. I love the Starbucks coffee and coffee maker in room. Close to Rogers Centre, and distillery district. Would definitely stay there again...

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Colin Aimie L
Dear Colin Aimie L,
It was a pleasure welcoming you and I thank you for sharing some comments on your recent visit.
I am delighted to read that you enjoyed our location and the spectacular views from your room.

I will look forward to welcoming you back
Hillsborough, North Carolina
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Rooms and interior design were both clean, sharp, and enjoyable. Stayed for business trip and location was especially convenient for conference center meetings. If looking for dependable, higher end accomodations, definitely recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear Chris E,
Thank you for staying with us during your recent business trip. I am pleased to read that you truly enjoyed your stay and managed to relax well in your guestroom.

Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your kind recommendation.