“Nice weekend”

Ranked #32 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Windsor, Canada
“Nice weekend”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights in June. We thoroughly enjoyed it. The room was clean and quite nice. The location was perfect for our needs. We stayed there as part of a convention group. Everything we wanted to do was within walking distance to the hotel. The service was friendly without being intrusive. From the time we arrived until we checked people were friendly and efficient. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: go see the aquarium and take the Steam whistle tour.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear David,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write this great review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you connected well with the staff. I am also happy that you enjoyed your room and our convenient location. I look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Tim Reardon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,101)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Hong Kong
Reviewed 2 August 2014

As all other Westin Hotel, they maintain the same good level service in this hotel, front desk receptionist, hotel porter and restaurant waiter provide very good service, Located at the harbour side, so you can enjoy good scenic, of course it's depend on the room rate. Just a bit disappointing by the room condition, the lighting was the most that I dislike, the room lighting was not with centralized function, it's got trouble to switch on all the room lighting individually, especially you will be trouble if you check in the hotel in the night time. As most of the American hotel, the shower head was the most worst, you not really can found sufficient of water pressure and cannot to let you hold it for bathing, But you can found the same comfort of the bed as the other Westin Hotel, the sanitary was good in condition too. I also found the location was quite good, of course it's bit far away from the heart of Yonge Street, but it's only take 20 minutes walk to the Eaton Centre that located in the Yonge Street, if you go to cnn tower will take about 20 minutes walk as well.

Room Tip: I stay in the North Tower, it's quite good and I don't know about the South Tower. Down stai...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Cityflyer,

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, and that you liked our convenient, scenic location. I am sorry, however that you did not enjoy the lighting in your room or our Westin Heavenly Bathroom. I can assure you I will personally follow up with my team so we are able to avoid this situation in the future. In the meantime, I would appreciate it if you could send me an e-mail at experienceteam@westin.com with a phone number where I can contact you to further discuss. I look forward to connecting with you soon.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Although I booked through a discount provider, I found everything - from parking to in-room internet access - to be extremely pricey. Nice room but terrible view - some interior courtyard area that needs TLC and a basketball court. I think when you book through a third party you get the rooms without the view, so I've come to expect that. I misread the information provided by the booking site. WIFI/internet access was available in the room but at a significant cost. The nature of my visit included a need for internet access so this was a disappointment. Valet parking was exorbitantly costly and almost the only option for parking. The hotel itself - the structure, layout, staff - were fine but the extra and unexpected $$$ will prevent me from a return trip.

Room Tip: Ask for either a lake view or a city view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear REAL-EAC-35

Thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent visit. I am glad that you enjoyed your room, but I am sorry to hear that you did not get to experience our fantastic views of Lake Ontario. I am also sorry that you found our internet and parking prices a bit steep. We do some comparative analysis every quarter with other major four-star hotels downtown and feel that we are in line with our parking pricing, but I will certainly keep your feedback in mind and discuss it at our next meeting. Similarly, we are also updating our pricing structure for internet connection and we will be launching it soon. I trust you will be pleased with it. In the meantime, if you would like, you can e-mail me at experienceteam@westin.com with a phone number where I can contact you to discuss your review further with you. I look forward to connecting with you soon.

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I think this particular Westin is a real bad hotel choice for family visit to Toronto and here is why:

First of all this hotel is just overpriced when it comes to room rate compared to other similar hotel. Now the reason I made my last statement is mainly because the general amenities this hotel offers is just too mediocre or worse than any hotel in its similar class. The hotel is situated in the worst part of Toronto, near the harbor ..a bit far from general heart of downtown Toronto where all restaurants are. Now In case most visitors to Toronto may not know, this city is different than other cities by the water or lake where generally places near water/lakes are the most active and expensive to live. However in Toronto, the places near harbor has nothing except for the ferry station. Any good restaurant you need to go one has to walk 15 to 20 mins up to downtown first in Toronto busy traffic . Moreover due to the very extensive massive construction that is currently going on in downtown Toronto until 2015, this hotel is just terribly located middle of all these construction, road closure, dust and noise etc. so the walk is not nice .. It's rather a safely issue and a puzzle.

The rooms are ok, very tight with very small sized beds.. two average size person can hardly fit in the same bed comfortably. The tv in the room is flat panel but old style .. thick and it's mount is 1 foot away from wall just ugly. No premium channel, or ESPN. I thought all hotels in the world has free HBO at least all Westin should but I guess not in Canada!

The pool area is again not so nice .. All over wet floor not sure why.. The hot tub is way too small for a hotel of this size .. So any given time there are people neck to neck in the hot tub .. Not a good relaxing experience .. Plus the hotel turns the jet off every 15 minute to save money I guess .. So if you are in the hot tub .. You actually have to get up and turn the jet switch on .. It's very strange and cheap .. . The pool is large but there are random class goes on on certain time where the old instructor lady drives all the kids away from one side of the pool to a corner so that the old ladies can do water exercise as a part of the class or whatever it was.. Very rude ..and inconvenient for the other guest to my mind ...
Parking is another major deal.. It's a must valet since self parking lot is not in the hotel , the lot is actually outside somewhere 5 min away .. So in this terrible construction all around the hotel .. Getting in and out of the car parking somewhere outside the hotel just does not make much sense .. Valet is 45 CAD per night while self is 35.. The hotel surely makes more money selling room than on parking for sure
The hotel again charges 15CAD for in room wifi..so whatever your room charge is add another 60CAD per night plus tax etc for parking and wifi

The Indian (?) lady at the front desk during our checkout was very rude and behaved she was doing us a favor by letting us stay in the hotel. I am a SPG member but forgot to add my SPG number during booking rooms through hotels.com. So I added that during checkin and told her I am a SPG member. All over the world for SPG members in participating hotels ( westin ofcourse one of them since I stayed at westin in many major US cities) ..they try to accommodate guest at a higher floor ) generally designated as SPG floor) .. The rooms are what u pay for but higher elevation allows better view and few other SPG amenities like free bottles of water in room .. etc.. Now in this stupid Toronto westin and the rude front desk Indian just flat told us there is no higher level room available and first gave us a room at north tower on floor 7. When we went to room the view of the lake ( we paid for a lake view room) was partially and blocked by the ceiling of the tennis court floor. We went back and complained and the lady very reluctantly have us another room at floor 12 which had a better view. She could have easily gave us the later room in the first time!

Overall don't stay in this hotel. No good nearby restaurant, expensive and inconvenient parking, lack of free wifi and most of all giant construction all around the hotel does not justify the bay view which probably is the only good thing about this hotel. If you stay in Toronto stay in downtown area (not near harbor) right where all the good restaurants are .. You can just walk to everything easily and quickly for the same price as westin harbor castle

Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Papillon_xcape
Dear Papillon_xcape

First of all, let me start by thanking you for staying with us and for taking the time to post some thoughts on your recent stay with us.

I am sorry that your visit did not exceed your expectations. What you describe in your review is certainly not the quality of standard that we are proud of at The Westin Harbour Castle and it really concerns me.

Your disappointing experiences are very concerning and unacceptable and I would like to assure you we are taking this very seriously. I sincerely apologize for the inconveniences and can assure you that I will follow-up with the appropriate teams. In the meantime, I would appreciate it if you could send me an e-mail at experienceteam@westin.com with a phone number where I can contact you to further discuss. I look forward to connecting with you soon.

Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I recently stayed there with my family of 4. Two small children and two adults. We had stayed at this property a few months prior, and has a great stay. This one started out with us asking about their Run Westin program. Their website said they offer jogging strollers to take out for your run, I called and Inquired about them and the person I spoke with had no idea what I was referring to. So I followed up with an email having taken a screen shot and asked someone to get back as we were traveling and didn't want to have to bring our bulky jogging stroller along if we didn't have to. No one ever got back to me via email and I had addressed it on their facebook page. Well I checked their website after a long period of no reply and they had actually changed the website and it no longer stated that they offered strollers, so someone did get my questions but never followed up with me. I have the screen shot of the first one still! To top it off they deleted my question about it on their facebook page as well.
Once we checked it, the clerk was extremely nice, however failed to give us any info about their kids club, which they boast about in the website, but do not actually give kids club check in bag at check in despite having children with you at check in. This was one of the reasons we decided to book Westin over other options we had. We got to our room and it was standard. The beds are amazing, and the view was spectacular. They kids really enjoyed watching the ferries come and go and planes take off and land from Toronto Island. We also went for a swim and had a great time. The pool had great views, and was very well maintained. We went to dinner in the lounge and ordered for each of us. Despite having a kids menu they have no kid friendly cups. We have been to the Lounge before on 6 occasions and this was the 1st time upon receiving our bill we were auto grated 15%. The bill also stated gratuity was not included, but the 15% was added like a menu item, so be sure to check your bill. We were in and out for the majority of the next day, but had great sleep in the beds.
Sunday our checkout day we were going to head over to the CN tower area for a little while with the kiddos after a swim, and we hadn't received a call yet to verify our express checkout like the last time we stayed so I called down right before we were going to head out. Although our booking stated our check out was 3pm when I called down I was told we no longer were able to receive that, as we had been told at check in due to high occupancy. No one thought it would be necessary to call us and let us know. I asked her what time check out was and she informed me "Right now!". I had to pack everyone up in a rush and forgo our plans we had made and round the children up as fast as I could or risk being charged for another night, without being able to stay that charged night. At check out we asked to speak to the guest service manager about the experience, and was handed "The email you send the message to hasn't had anyone checking it in about 2 weeks", "Chinese air is a client and had a bunch of cancellations and now we are overbooked so we can't offer the check out time you were told at check in". Overall the lack of attention to detail and disorganization made our visit much less. The location and views are great, some of the staff is great, they could do more to ensure their guests dont go through as much trouble, especially at check out! That was brutal.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank JMamabear
Dear JMamabear,

First, let me start by saying thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay overall, and that you enjoyed our Westin Heavenly Beds and the amazing views. However, please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointing experiences you and your family had at our hotel, and that the interactions you had with our associates left you with the feeling of not being cared for. This type of behavior is totally unacceptable and I would like to assure you that we are taking this very seriously. Rest assured I am personally following up with my team so we are able to avoid this situation in the future. In the meantime, I would appreciate it if you could send me an e-mail at experienceteam@westin.com with your reservation and contact information so I can discuss your review further. I look forward to connecting with you soon.

Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed in Toronto for 3 nights with 2 adults and 3 children. Overall hotel is very nice and staff is friendly. Rooms were on the small size for our larger family, but workable. I felt the lobby decor was nice, rooms were a little outdated. The concierge man was very knowledgable and pleasant however the line was many times 4-5 deep, not worth the wait. A few things we were very disappointed about was the main picture on the website is of the sun deck overlooking the lake, one of the main features that attracted us to this hotel vs downtown. When we asked where it was, we were told by one staff member it does not exist, even after showing them the website picture. Another person we asked said it was under construction. Which is it? On website it says kids get welcome package. none was given, when we asked about it the next day they did not know what we are talking about. We felt this was false advertising. Also the Mizzen Restaurant was not open for our entire stay. Remodeling is understandable but should be noted on website. Overall, a nice stay. Nice and convenient location.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Dnmder
Dear Dnmder

First, let me start by saying thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent stay with us. I am happy that you enjoyed our convenient and scenic location, and that you connected well with our team. Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointing experience you and your family had at our hotel and that the interactions you had with our associates left you with the feeling of being misled. Rest assured I am personally following up with my team so we are able to avoid this situation in the future. In the meantime, I would really appreciate it if you could send me an e-mail at experienceteam@westin.com with a phone number where I can contact you to further discuss. I look forward to connecting with you soon.

Windsor, ON
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Stayed at the Westin Harbour Castle for 3 nights, while visiting Toronto in July 2014. Booked through Priceline at $115 per night + taxes and fees. We checked in late... around 11pm and my girlfriend and I were stuck with a room with 2 double beds. After asking the next day too, they weren't able to switch us to a 1 bed room. Rather disappointing.

Overall, a good stay. Generally, the rooms are clean and comfortable. Average sized room & bathroom, but somewhat uninspired design and decor though. Beds and shower were great. We had a partial waterfront view, from our 18th floor room at the end of the hall. Rooms were cleaned and restocked well each night.

Not sure what the in-room wifi policy is... but we seemed to get free access for the first day, and then were prompted to pay for the remainder of the trip. We opted to pay for the underground parking, located a block away for $35 per night.

Hotel is in a great location downtown. Easy access from the Gardiner Expressway. Very convenient food and drink options... with a store on the main floor, and sushi, street meat, Greek and diner food all within a block. We enjoyed the pool and hot tub.

For such a landmark hotel... the hotel is in a little worse condition than expected. There were stains here and there in the hallways, and lots of the fixtures and doors could benefit from a fresh coat of paint. Kind of surprised that Westin hasn't kept on top of maintenance. Still... a good experience overall and good value for the price.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Dear JC442,

First, let me start by thanking you and your girlfriend for staying with us and for posting your review.
I am delighted to read thhat you were both able to fully enjoy your Westin Heavenly Beds and Bathroom, as well as our fantastic views, convenient location, and amenities.
I am sorry that you weren’t able to be switched to your preferred room type. Our Front Office team does its best to accommodate all of our guests' requests. However, based on how busy the hotel is and how late our guests check-in, sometimes, it is unfortunately not possible to arrange all room preferences.

We will do our best to accommodate you both on your next visit.
Thank you again for staying with us recently and looking forward to welcoming you back soon!