The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto
US$256
US$359
Agoda.com
4,761 results
All reviewstoula restaurantlake viewnorth towertoronto islandslake ontarioheavenly bedvalet parkingair canada centrestarbucks coffeeisland airportharbour frontunion stationself parkhockey hall of famelobby barper nightcorner room
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Stayed here for two nights and had two great night's sleep. The Heavenly beds are indeed heavenly. The room was clean, bright and modern. Check-in can be a challenge. When i was there there were only two people on (around 5pm) and it was slow. However, when there is a large group arrive it can be chaos.There were two occasions when I saw the line up 30 people deep waiting to check in. Even though all the check-in desks were manned it was very slow.
Food in the bar restaurant is pricey, but tasty.
Christian at the Concierge desk was a pleasure and very helpful, and bag drop was quick and efficient if you needed to leave you bags before/after check-in.
Great location at the bottom of Bay and Yonge Streets. Also the bus stop for the Airport Express Shuttle is across the road on Yonge. Very convenient.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Dear gvl62,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your recent stay with us. I’m delighted to hear that that our team exceeded your expectations and your stay was almost flawless. I appreciate your patients with the longer than normal check in times and rest assured I have forwarded your comments onto my leadership team to go over the arrival process. Our mission at Westin is ensure you feel better when you leave then when you arrived and our Heavenly Beds are just that Heavenly. Thank you for mentioning your great interaction with Christian I will ensure to pass on your great comments as I believe this is how it should feel.

I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Scents spritzed all over lobby, carpets threadbare and stained. In room: "spots" all over mirrors chaise had "suspicious" spots and carpets were less than bare foot friendly. Restaurant $$$$ and blah.

Room Tip: If you really want a good room, book somewhere else! While the harbour views are stunning, the rooms are not worth the money.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
GeneralManagerWestin, General Manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Dian P,

First of all, let me thank you for staying with us recently and for your review. It concerns me that your recent visit was not flawless and we didn’t deliver on our promise of ensuring our guests leave feeling better than when they arrived. Please accept my sincere apologies for the unacceptable condition of your guestroom and rest assured I have sent your concerns to my leadership team. In the meantime I would appreciate it if you could email me personally at experienceteam@westin.com with a phone number where I can contact with you to further discuss.

Westin Harbour Castle

I decided to pay an extra $100 to stay at this specific hotel mainly for convenience as I was volunteering at that hotel at 8 am and because it was our wedding anniversary that night I thought what the heck. I was volunteering all day and night at the soccer stadium and then again in the Westin hotel itself for 9 hours the next day. My husband and the kids checked in earlier in the day, but I did not get to the hotel until 11:15 pm. My husband mentioned our anniversary and the fact that I was volunteering (for an organization that had plenty of people staying there). The clerk asked when I would arrive and he told him sometime after 10:30 pm. Nothing was done for our anniversary. I mentioned it to front desk when I came down for my volunteer shift at 7:55 am and the person said he would check with the person who checked my husband in. Upon check-out my husband had made some complaints (see later) and I mentioned the lack of recognition for our anniversary. Jerry apologized and gave us our valet parking worth $45 complimentary.

The shower in the room was not working well. The diverter was not separating the tub water from the shower water so you were getting a couple of inches of water in the tub as you showered. For an expensive, fancy hotel, you would expect everything to be working well. Our view from our room was a partial harbour/lake view where you saw more of the buildings and construction than you did of the harbour. There also seemed to be a charge for everything such as the internet in rooms ($14.95/day) as well as internet in the business center -$6.95/15 min. Most other hotels have free access in the business center and free wifi in public areas. The lobby says you are only allowed one hour free, but it seemed to work for longer than that. Checkout at 12 noon is much better than other hotels at 11 am. We also did not get a newspaper in the morning as indicated on the website. I didn’t think of this until a few days later so it was never mentioned to the front desk staff.

The hotel was nice and fancy, but we were not impressed with the value. We ended up staying at another hotel a few nights later and although it was not fancy, it included free wifi and free meals for kids under 12 and still ranked higher than this one in our minds. We expected more from a $300/night room with many things included rather than having to pay on top. Yes, the Westin might cater more to the business people and conferences as well as the rich, but it certainly does not suit the middle or upper middle class families. I had booked another hotel for this occasion, but decided at the last minute to switch to the Westin and pay the extra $$$ for convenience. Now I wish I hadn't.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank soccerstar

Dear soccerstar,

Thank you for posting your review I appreciate you letting me know where we fell short on our service standards. I’m pleased to hear that you enjoyed the look and feel of the hotel and that Jerry was able to take care of you even in a small way. What you describe certainly isn’t what we are known for here at the Westin Harbour Castle and my apologies we didn’t exceed your expectations. I have forwarded your concerns onto my leaders so we can look at improving our guest experience so our guests feel welcome and cared for during their stay. We are currently undergoing some changes to improve efficiencies to our internet services and I’m sure you will be pleased with the end result. Our promise of ensuring our guests leave feeling better than when they arrived is still of the utmost importance to me and I deeply apologize for not delivering on that promise. In the meantime I would appreciate it if you could email me personally at experienceteam@westin.com with a phone number where I can contact with you to further discuss.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

This was our third or fourth stay at the Westin Harbour Castle over the past 10 years, and I'm sad to say that I doubt we'll ever go back.
The location is great. That's part of the reason why we've stayed there so many times. The view along the shoreline is beautiful in the summertime. And typically I enjoy Westin hotels because the beds are comfortable and you can count on high quality and service.
What was supposed to be a relaxing weekend getaway for me and my husband started with an awful check-in experience. After fighting through Toronto traffic (not sure if it's really bad now due to construction or if it's always this way in the summer), we arrived at the hotel around 4:00 p.m. The line to check in was about 10 people deep. No big deal, except that it took another 30 minutes before we made it to the front of the line! It seemed as though everyone checking in was having a problem. Meanwhile, the line behind us kept growing and growing.
To add to the irritation level, whenever the line for Gold and Platinum Starwood Preferred Guests grew to 3 or 4 people, one of the 3 or 4 employees waiting on the "coach class" customers would shift over to help out that line. Never mind the 30 people waiting in our line! I am a regular Starwood Preferred Guest, but I get the feeling that doesn't mean anything. They certainly never acknowledged it at this hotel.
Once we finally made it to the check-in desk, I was fuming. Great way to start out a weekend vacation. The staff member never apologized for the long wait. In fact, I got the odd feeling that this wasn't an unusual situation.
When it came time to check out 3 days later, I didn't receive a bill in my room so I went downstairs to find out how to confirm my bill. Because the wifi in the lobby never seemed to work the whole time we were there, I didn't receive my "e-folio" so in order to verify my bill, I got to wait in my favorite line again. And this time it was even longer! After waiting in line for 10-15 minutes, I went over to the concierge to see if there was any way that he could just confirm my bill amount -- even without printing it out -- and he couldn't on his system. He did, however, direct me over to the shorter Gold and Platinum SPG line. Once in that line, things moved along pretty quick and a manager came along before I even reached the front. I told him my situation, and he said that most people just get the e-folio (don't get me started on the wifi again!) or check out on their TV screen. WHAT?????? We didn't see anything in the room that said you could check out on the TV or we would have done just that!
Overall, this stay left a very bad taste in our mouths. The next time we return to Toronto, I am going to do some serious research on TA for a better hotel option.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Emily F

Dear Emily F,

Firstly, I want to thank you for posting this review of your recent stay we view all feedback as a gift. It’s great to hear that you have been a loyal guest of ours for the last 10 years so it deeply concerns me that we didn’t exceed your expectations on this trip. Your experiences while not typical of the service levels we normally deliver to our guests at the Westin Harbour Castle they are very concerning to me. I have forwarded your feedback onto my leaders and have asked them to review the check in process. Regarding the internet we are currently undergoing some changes to improve efficiencies and I’m sure you will be pleased with the end result. Our promise of ensuring our guests leave feeling better than when they arrived is still of the utmost importance to me and I deeply apologize for not delivering on that promise. In the meantime I would appreciate it if you could email me personally at experienceteam@westin.com with a phone number where I can contact with you to further discuss.

Again, thank you for taking the time to share your review to let us know where we have fallen short in our service delivery and standards.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Service at this hotel is excellent and if you are a SPG member you have separate check in and perks such as room upgrade to a view of Lake Ontario and the Toronto Islands. Check in staff and Concierge were excellent.

Breakfast at the on-site Mizzen Restaurant was buffet and a la carte and both were excellent with very attentive wait staff. Our stay was only for 2 nights so did not avail ourselves of the pool, gym or spa facilities.

Located at the Toronto Harbour Ferries makes Toronto Island a 10 minute ferry ride. Your options for transit include the ferries and water taxis.

You are a 10 minute 1 block walk from Union Station for Go Train and TTC services, as well as the Air Canada Centre. Hop on the Go Train at Union Station and take the train to Exhibition stop for a 2 minute walk to BMO Field and Exhibition Stadium.

CN Tower, Ripley's Aquarium, Hockey Hall of Fame and AGO are all within walking distance and other attractions such as the Distillery District, Eatons Centre, numerous festivals, Toronto Beaches, etcetera are all accessible via transit.

If you are not comfortable paying the prices for the on-site restaurants, there is a plaza directly across the street with a very nice grocery store, Chinese take out restaurant (limited seating available), Tim Hortons, etcetera.

To sum it up, the location and service makes this hotel a no brainer.

Room Tip: Your Lake Ontario/Toronto Islands view is your best best.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kozuh

Dear kozuh,

Thank you for taking the time to share some thoughts on your recent visit. This is exactly how it should feel and I am happy to know that our team exceeded your expectations. It’s great to hear that you were able to take in so much of our great neighborhood in just a few days. I will share your comments with the team as a great reminder of what we do best at The Westin Harbour Castle. Hopefully on your next visit with us you will be able to enjoy the pool and westinWORKOUT.
I look forward to welcoming you back sometime in the future.