“We were treated like First-Class even though our room was free!”

The Westin Harbour Castle
Ranked #31 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Detroit, Michigan
“We were treated like First-Class even though our room was free!”
Reviewed 30 April 2009

I had a free gift certificate for a one night stay as well as free brunch the next morning but you would never know it because my friends and I were treated like First-Class. Everyone was very friendly and helpful, including the employees at the front desk, the gift shop, the dining room, the concierge, and the valet. Our concierge explained how we could use public transportation and helped us pick a dinner spot and a night spot that suited our needs. Breakfast was delicious and the dining room staff gladly accomodated us even though our coupon had expired at 10:30 am (which we hadn't noticed). The front desk and the valet helped us when we had checked out and returned an hour later upon realizing that we accidentally paid for parking twice. Finally, our room was a corner unit overlooking Lake Ontario... a view I never expected for a free room. It was a wonderful trip in a wonderful city. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank DetroitLover

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,126)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Doha, Qatar
Reviewed 27 April 2009

I owe this hotel my life. On April 23, 2009, I woke up in my room at this hotel feeling ill with a shoulder pain. I immediatley called the reception, who contacted 911 while I was on the phone. We had a 3 way conference call with the 911 attendant asking me about my symptoms and assuring me that the ambulance was on the way. In the meantime, the hotel immediately send 2 security agents to my room who put me on oxygen and kept me company while waiting for the EMS staff.

My symptoms turned out to be exhaustion but the this hotel's staff professionalism, care, compassion was really remarkable and I want to thank all of their staff from the bottom of my heart. When i returned from hospital, I had a nice candle waiting for me from the hotel's managaer with a get well note. Thank you Westin Harbour Castle, thank you thank you.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
5 Thank HardLite
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 21 April 2009

I stayed at the hotel with my significant other for one night in February. We managed to get a cheaper rate through one of the well-known travel websites. However, despite the good rate, this hotel left me feeling rather let down. I will try to be concise, so here goes...
- The room was averaged sized, though the bed was lovely with expensive looking Egyption cotton style bedding. However, when staying in a high-star rated hotel, I don't expect to see questionable stains on the sheets! ( brown staining....almost like dried blood!). I contacted room service immediately and they sent someone up to change the sheets. The staff member who did this was very appologetic and even sent up his manager to offer an explanation....the response I got was that they were in the middle of renovations, and attention to detail may have been lacking in this circumstance! Indeed it was! This put me off from staying at the hotel in the future....
- Also, the lobby was being renovated at the time, and this caused lots of dust and noise. I believe this work has been finished now, however.
- The view we got was probably the worst view in Toronto! We overlooked an empty warehouse and carepark....

Overall, this hotel struck me as being 'nothing special'. I've stayed in better 3 star hotels in Toronto, so I would say only stay here if you can get an exceptionally good deal! Do not pay full price!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Steph_260
Upstate NY
Reviewed 17 April 2009

My experience with this hotel was outstanding. The staff were attentive. Although we booked our room on priceline, we received a free room upgrade. We had a terrific lake view room on the 18th floor. The indoor pool and recreation facilities were well maintained. The room was clean and very comfortable. The location of the hotel was good, as public transport was easily accessible. The one thing to avoid was the sky-high valet parking ($40 CDN). I passed on this, parked a block further away and saved $20 a night. (the wireless internet was also $20/day, which I felt was excessive). Other than those over-priced amenities, our stay was great.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank Bob_in_NY
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed 23 March 2009

My husband and I went to visit the Toronto Artexpo and stayed at the Westin Harbour Castle for two nights. It really lived up to our expectations. Very beautiful and comfortable with great service.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank antoine321
Markham
Reviewed 8 March 2009

Picked this up for valentines off one of the blind sites for $66. The parking however was $40 but other than that no complaints. The rooms were clean and well appointed, the staff was attentive. A difinate redo.

Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 3 March 2009

The best thing about this hotel is the heavenly bed, but other service failures made the stay would have been below par. We received a wonderful smiling welcome from Laura, but the room was missing components, the lobby in under renovation and our room (north tower east facing) suffered from noise from the elevator shaft which was only quiet between 3 ~ 5AM and never did get that light bulb replaced....

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
WestinToronto, manager at The Westin Harbour Castle, responded to this review, 17 April 2009
To whom it may concern,

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments.I reviewed your comments regarding your stay with us at the Westin harbour Castle. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. We share our comments with our staff, so we may resolve any and all issues. Again, thank you for the comments, which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.
Westin Harbour Castle