“Great New Experience! New Years Eve King Tut Package - KING FOR A DAY!”
Review of Hilton Toronto

Hilton Toronto
Ranked #35 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
ontario
“Great New Experience! New Years Eve King Tut Package - KING FOR A DAY!”
Reviewed 7 February 2010

This has been a long time coming. I would like to thank Jason I believe he's one of the many supervisors... for his attentiveness. The first time we stayed was December 3rd:) test run - not good! We made many attempts to contact the GM asst to no avail! I spoke with Jason and once again the rest is history! We came back as we were booked in advance for New Years Eve King Tut package and had a fabulous time! What a difference. It's really sad though one has to complain to get the service one deserves. Well lets start this magnificent experience.

The room - upgraded! I'm sure thanks to Jason! Beautiful! We did assume with New Years it was going to be noisey and sure it was but it was because we had a whining baby and two youngins in the room next to us! For the most of the night you could hear one child yelling karate moves Hiiiiiiiyaaaaa redundantly! We went to Nathan Phillips Square and when we got back around 1230pm the child was still Hiyaaaaing! I thought I was going to be awaken the next morning to that....surprisingly I think we were up before the family next to us! Thankfullly! Also, when we returned from our dinner we observed cheese, crackers and a bottle of Vosse water in our room! I don't know if everyone got this but it sure did make us feel good about coming back! Jason really took care of us and I'm very grateful for that. There was one thing we found gross but didn't complain because the good outwayed the bad:) something sticky on the surface of the granite countertop above the mini fridge! Not sure what this was but it wasn't from us. Oh ya, the body lotion in our bathroom was open and appeared used so I asked housekeeping for a couple on our way back from the pool, which needs renovating! If it weren't for jason I don't believe this hotel would have much else to offer in the way of service. He gets r done! Thank you and because of you Jason we may just return. I've noted from previous reviews Jason appears a lot....maybe the hotel GM should take this into account give the guy a promotion or even a raise. He definitely stands by the Hilton name! When I first saw the GM respond to all the reviews I thought it was a nice touch....now I see it's all just a charade! I did exactly as he said to do and it didn't happen! Like I said jason got r done!!!

Restaurant in HIlton- King Tut packages including dinner is a set menu! Mainly consisting of apple infused something however the supervisor tried his best to be accomodating! I surprised myself and found dinner enjoyable. Breakfast no omellet station-bummer- but there was a good variety. If you stay at the Hilton and plan on eating breakfast at the Hilton Restaurant I highly recommend getting breakfast included. It is pricey!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
HiltonYYZ, General Manager at Hilton Toronto, responded to this review, 18 February 2010
Dear Trip Advisor Member....

Thanks for the feedback! We are so pleased to hear that you felt connected to our team members, Jason in particular! It is truly our front line representatives that make our guest experiences come to life!

I was disappointed to learn that you attempted to contact the Executive Office and were unable to do so. My fantastic assistant Annette and I are here at all times to assist our guests and we work very hard to ensure that all guest feedback is responded to in a timely manner. I'm not sure how you attempted to contact us and perhaps we missed you over the holidays due to vacation schedules. However, if at any time a guest requires assistance, we have a Duty Manager at the Front Desk 24 hours a day who is fully trained and empowered to handle any situation that arises. We also have a Weekend Manager who is a member of our senior leadership team who is in the hotel on weekends and is available to all guests in the absence of the General Manager. Hopefully on future visits you will have an opportunity to interact with additional members of our service team to ensure that your experience continues to be a positive one.

Thanks again for the feedback! We are all very happy to have King Tut in Toronto and look forward to many more guests experiencing this once in a lifetime exhibit before it leaves at the end of April!!

Edwin Frizzell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Vancouver
Reviewed 7 February 2010

I usually stay at the Sheraton but decided to try somewhere new after some bad service. The postives about this hotel are the beds and pillows (very comfortable) and the service (I forgot a toothbrush and one was brought up right away). The negatives are no mini bar and no wifi...I was pretty surprised that these would not be included at a chain like Hilton. I stayed on the Executive Floor the Hilton's free breakfast was pretty meagre when compared to the huge spread offered at the Sheraton.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
HiltonYYZ, General Manager at Hilton Toronto, responded to this review, 9 February 2010
Dear Trip Advisor Member...

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us!

I was most pleased to learn that you enjoyed the Hilton Serenity Bed and that your service expectations were satisfied. Based upon customer feedback, the Hilton Toronto took the decision to remove minibars from all guest rooms in 2008. Soft drinks, snacks and sundry items are available in the hotel's Gift Shop or through our 24 hour in-room dining team. All guest rooms feature internet access through a "wired" solution and we do hope to bring wireless to all guest rooms in the very near future. Wireless access is available in our public areas as well as the hotel's meeting facilities.

I was disappointed to hear that our Executive Level breakfast did not meet your expectations. We do monitor our occupancy levels and strive to provide an appropriate volume of food and beverage offerrings based upon the immediate demand of our customers. Opting for quality over quantity allows us to create an experience that has brought us very positive customer recogntion over the past several years. We will certainly review this area with our Executive Lounge management to ensure we continue to provide the high level of service our customers have come to expect.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to serve as your home away from home in Toronto again in the very near future. At the Hilton Toronto, we do understand that service is the cornerstone of the experience we create and we would be thrilled to have you spend time with us again in the future!

NY
Reviewed 30 January 2010

We've been to Toronto three times and have stayed here twice. The hotel is immaculate and the staff attentive. The location is perfect as well.

Both times we paid extra to stay on the club level, and it was well worth it. The drinks, snacks and so on (best chocolate chip cookies) were all very nice to have access to. We didn't take advantage of the continental breakfast because our room rate included the hotel's full buffet. It was also quite good.

The rooms are a bit small for a family of four, but it's primarily a business hotel, so that's to be expected.

Although I didn't get to the pool, my husband and girls did and they enjoyed it very much. I wouldn't dream of staying elsewhere.

• Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
HiltonYYZ, General Manager at Hilton Toronto, responded to this review, 1 February 2010
Dear Trip Advisor Member...

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us! I'm thrilled to learn that you and your family enjoyed your time with us in Toronto!

It was great to hear that you had the opportunity to take advantage of upgrading to our Executive Level! I agree that it is a great value and I'll be sure to let the chef know how much you enjoye his cookies!! (I love them too!)

I hope we will have the chance to welcome you back again soon!

Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 24 January 2010

It's not the cheapest hotel you'll find but you'll definitely get what you pay for. It's in a great location near Yonge st. and The Eaton Center. A lot of places are within walking distance. The service at the hotel is great as well. Personally, I have no reason to look for another hotel when I'm in Toronto unless I decide to go for the cheapest thing I can find but then again why short yourself lol.

Stayed December 2009, travelled with friends
1 Thank YosefB
HiltonYYZ, General Manager at Hilton Toronto, responded to this review, 26 January 2010
Dear Trip Advisor Member...

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us! We greatly appreciate it!

Providing an appropriate "value proposition" for our customers and delivering the service that our legacy brand is founded upon are core values of the Hilton Toronto. I'm thrilled to hear that your experience met your expectations and we look forward to welcoming you back to Toronto in the very near future!

Warm Wishes,

Burlington, ON
Reviewed 24 January 2010

My wife and I spent a couple of nights at the Hilton. It was a "grownups" weekend for us -thanks Gramma for looking after the kids! If you have read my other reviews, you won't be surprised to learn that one of the first things I did was check for cleanliness, especially under the toilet seat. Rest assured, the Hilton lives up to its 4-star reputation and was spotless. The kind-sized bed was comfy, the heater was a bit noisy, but you could turn it off!
The best part of the room was the view. We were on the 28th floor looking north. The room had a big window, and we had a great time enjoying the continually changing view. If you're traveling with kids, they will love the scenic elevator ride -2 of 5 elevators have windows all the way up!
The Hilton is perfectly located: 5 minutes WALK to the Eaton Centre and Yonge St.; 5 minutes walk the the theatre district; less than 10 minutes to the Skydome (aka Rogers Centre). If anything is too far to walk, the subway is practically on the hotel's doorstep.

There were only two aspects of our stay that could be improved: 1) The sound from the hallway (as well as adjacent rooms) is louder than most places we have stayed at. A towel along the bottom of the door helped lots. 2) Room service breakfast: we ordered it both mornings. The menu is lacking a fresh fruit option, the meal quality is okay (but sub par for a top hotel), and they got our order wrong each day (and it took them too long to fix the first time)!

As for value, we stayed here through "Hotwire.com" and thought it was a great deal. We also stayed at the Sheraton (through Hotwire) the month before, and if given the choice, we'd stay at the Sheraton over the Hilton.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor Member...

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us! I was so happy to hear that you enjoyed your experience and that our view and cleanliness standards exceeded your expectations!

With regards to your constructive comments, we certainly appreciate the additional insights into your time with us and our management team will utilize your observations as we work to improve the hotel for future guest enjoyment.

I do hope that you will have the opportunity to choose Hilton during future visits and look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton Toronto once again!

Houston, TX
Reviewed 14 January 2010

I had started staying at this hotel beginning in January, 2009 and from February forward the hotel started to cut services and amenities decreasing the value of staying. The final straw was being put in a room next to an unbalanced compressor and being told I would just need to put up with the noise. I would never stay there again.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank TexasTraveler0
HiltonYYZ, General Manager at Hilton Toronto, responded to this review, 15 January 2010
Dear Trip Advisor Member...

Thank you for taking the time to share your review with us! Please do accept my apologies that your experience was below your expectations!

Creating a comfortable and relaxing environment is a core value for us at the Hilton Toronto. Noise (sometimes controllable...sometime not) is a situation that we deal with on a regular basis and I am disappointed to hear that we were unable to solve this for you during your stay. As I noticed your stay was in August, I do recall that we embarked on a program in the fall to replace several aging Ice Machines that were causing unnecessary noise on our guest floors. Certainly not meant as an excuse, we do want to assure you and our future visitors that we take your comfort seriously and also apply all feedback that we receive to finding solutions for everyone.

Whenever we are presented with a challenge, our team is trained to continue to offer solutions until the situation is resolved to your satisfaction. Please accept our apologies that we were clearly unable to do so for your visit.

Thanks again for the feedback and I hope you will give us another opportunity to demonstrate our ability to meet and exceed your expectations on future visits.

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 9 January 2010

We have stayed in this hotel twice, it's in the Hotwire roster of hotels in the area. The first time we stayed here my husband used the term, "lipstick on a pig" it's a cheap reno job on an older hotel and the decor is already outdated. The room fixtures are what you would expect of a Hilton, slightly cheap and main stream, flat pack desks and dressers. The hotel has removed the in room fridges and the coffee fixings are poor.
Recently this came up for us on Hotwire again. We stayed at the hotel because we were attending a large charity function. We left our room at 7pm and arrived back at our room around 4:30 am. When we checked out at 11am we were told we were being billed $200.00 for smoking! The crazy thing was, when we arrived back my husband wanted to complain about the smell of smoke on our floor but I didn't want to as it was late. The hotel offers smoking rooms so why anyone who smoked would stay in a non smoking room is beyond me. There was no room for discussion about the fact neither of us smoke and nobody ever addressed the issue with us further despite saying they would do so. I've had to resort to involving my credit card company.
Since Oct we have stayed in Toronto 9 times at various hotels as well as the UK and Costa Rica at no time have we ever been accused of smoking in any of these non smoking rooms. Both times we have stayed at the Hilton Toronto we have been disappointed and now ripped off as well.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Angela_The_Traveller
Dear Trip Advisor Member...

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your experience with us. I was most disappointed to learn that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations.

Hotel "design" is a very personal experience and the great thing about hotels is that we are constantly updating and improving which allows us to try new things and appeal to a wide variety of travellers. Certainly, the majority of our guests have commented favourablly on our renovations to date and we look forward to our next phase scheduled to be completed by the end of March. At the moment, we are pleased to have some of the most recently renovated and up-to-date room product in the Toronto market.

Our Housekeeping team works very hard to ensure that our non-smoking rooms are kept cleaned to standard for the comfort of our guests. We also strive to ensure that our non-smoking policy is clearly identified in our guest rooms and it is common practice for hotels to convey a cleaning fee in the event that the non-smoking environement is compromised. We do have a documentation trail available whenever this policy is invoked and I would recommend that you contact my office directly if you would like us to provide further information regarding the charge that was assessed to you. If the charge was applied in error, we would be pleased to correct this situation for you. As the cleaning process to return a "smoked in" room back to our non-smoking standards is quite extensive, we do stand behind our policy which helps us maintain the most appropriate accommodations for our guests.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to resolve this situation to your satisfaction. Thanks again for providing the feedback! We greatly appeciate the opportunity for improvement!