“Outstanding Service”

Ranked #34 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Ottawa, Canada
“Outstanding Service”
Reviewed 29 November 2010

The main reason I decided on the Hilton was because they offered smoking rooms, a rarity in the area. After having read several posts and having made some inquiries, it was accepted that such rooms were not renovated. I was perfectly fine with this. When I arrived at the hotel, my request for a smoking room was granted and I was assigned room 1511. To be honest, the room furnishings were much better than what I expected. There were of course signs of stains and wear and tear, but since I knew what I was getting into, I didn’t mind. Indeed, the bed, lounge chair, ergonomic chair and TV were all modern. I did however notice that there was construction going on outside and there was a horrible noise each time one of my neighbours went to the bathroom so I went downstairs and asked if I could be switched. I also asked if I would be able to pay a certain supplement to enjoy the privileges of the executive lounge. Craig (I believe that was his name) was extremely helpful and accommodating. He assigned me room 1508 on the other side of the building and was able to negotiate a good deal for me on the access to the executive lounge with internet privileges.

I went to the next room which looked more or less the same as the other and happily there was no noise. Nevertheless, the stench from stale smoke was suffocating and intolerable and I say this as a smoker. Unfortunately, the windows at this hotel do not open up. I tried to work through it but after an hour I decided I could not. I telephoned to see if I could pay for a full upgrade to an executive room which are all non-smoking. Mark Bean handled my request with empathy and professionalism and I was extremely impressed. He had a new set of keys sent up.

Upon entering room 3104, I must admit I was a tad underwhelmed. Taken in isolation, the room is nice but what struck me as odd was that excepting 2 free small bottles of water and a different style of bathroom, the executive room was identical to the regular room. Bathrobes are supposed to be in the room, but there were none, I had to call. It was rather funny actually since when I asked for a robe, the woman told me they are only for guests in executive rooms and then she had to go check to see if I was actually in one! I was a little disappointed because from my experience with upgraded rooms, the amenities are usually substantially different which is why, inter alia, people pay the extra fee. Indeed, other reviews on this site mention bathrooms with glass enclosures and whatnot; perhaps I got a room which had yet to be updated. Happily however, the room was clean, much more so than the previous 2 rooms, and smelled fresh.

The executive lounge also I must admit was somewhat disappointing. Not in terms of the style or layout which is brilliant, but in terms of what is offered. Perhaps I am being inherently unfair because I can only compare this one to the beautiful and brand new lounge at the Hilton Lac Leamy in Gatineau, but I noticed that whereas in the latter, non-alcoholic drinks are available free all day, in this lounge they were only available after 5. Also, the quality of the hors d’oeuvres in my view were somewhat lacking, but again, this could be a result of unfair comparison. I must say however I did thoroughly enjoy bumping into the Chief Justice of our Supreme Court in the lounge; as a law student, I found it rather neat. Breakfast was good. Also, Jim was extremely helpful and kind.

Room service was not of particularly good quality and the price was outrageous. 12$ for a tasteless caesar salad? 10$ for a tiny bowl of soup? 5$ for a soda (It is my understanding that the price was once upon a time 10$ per soda!)? I didn’t actually order any drinks, I just found the menu price laughable. This was all ridiculous and I say this taking into account the fact that this is a centrally located hotel. Indeed, if the quality of the food were better, I would not complain as much but frankly, I’ve had better room service at random Holiday Inns. The room service at this hotel is not up to a 4 star property standard.

Also, it seems like the Hilton chain of hotels is rather behind the times when it comes to offering WIFI in rooms, although they do offer WIFI in the lounge and lobby. Again, whereas 3 star chains such as Hampton Inns and Holiday Inns offer it, Hiltons only seem to offer wired connections. A minor inconvenience to be sure, but still something of note.

All in all, I would rate this hotel 5 for service and 3 for everything else averaging a grand total of 4.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
HiltonYYZ, General Manager at Hilton Toronto, responded to this review, 30 November 2010
Dear Trip Advisor Member.....

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us! You have certainly given us very detailed comments to share with our various operational teams which will be most helpful in their ongoing service training. With regards to the smoking rooms, we do understand the need for improvements to the 15th floor. In fact, this floor is scheduled for renovation within the next two weeks and we are in the process of updating the smoking room selection with improved ventilation and odor controls to improve the comfort in this area. Hopefully on a future visit you will see a vast improvement. With regards to the 31st floor, this area is slated for renovation in 2011 and will see our final few floors of guest rooms updated with the new look and feel of the hotel. Our Room Service and Executive Floor teams have been provided a copy of your review so that they may address the quality issues that you mentioned. We are always working on finding ways to meet and exceed the expetations of our customers. WiFI installation is scheudled for early 2011 and we are all very anxious to have this important feature available to our customers as quickly as possible. Overall, thank you for recognizing the efforts of our team members. Their dedication and committment to service are a cornerstone of our property as we continue to work on the physical improvements of the building.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Toronto and the Hilton in the near future!

Edwin Frizzell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 29 November 2010

This hotel is wonderful. I have been traveling to Toronto the entire year of 2010... and will have stayed 39 times - usually Monday thru Thursday. The staff is very helpful and friendly... its nice to see familiar faces as much as I travel. The renovated rooms are wonderful... the gym has a great assortment of cardio equipment, machines and free weights.

The location is great... 5 minutes from the Gardiner Expressway... walking distance to the Air Canada Center, Rogers Center, CN Tower and the subway line... as well as many restaurants and shopping.

And on those overly cold/rainy nights - there are three restaurant options within the hotel. I've dined at Tundra and Ruth's Chris - both were fabulous and the wait staff are great as well.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business
Dear Trip Advisor Member....

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us! The true test of a hotel is surely the feedback of our most regular customers....and I think after 39 visits you certainly qualify! If there is ever anything I can do to personally assist you, please do not hesitate to let me know!

Looking forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Ottawa
Reviewed 28 November 2010

This was my second stay at this hotel since its renovations and enjoyed my stay. The location is excellent, right in the entertainment district near shopping, bars, and restaurants. The hotel is very clean with a relaxing lobby with its Zen like theme. The king size bed was awesome and the rooms were clean. My disappointment during the second stay was that the room I had did not have a shower stall like the one during my first stay. Also, once again, I found the hotel restaurant to be quite expensive and the service was pathetic during breakfast - there was only one server. I waited for 15 minutes before I had to go speak to the hostess to request some service. This should not be happening at a hotel of a 4 star caliber - especially when the expectation is to get excellent service for the prices they charge. I hope the management improves on this aspect. Until then, the suggestion is to go to other nearby restaurants with better service and relatively much cheaper. Other than that, I did enjoy the hotel and would highly recommend it.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
HiltonYYZ, General Manager at Hilton Toronto, responded to this review, 29 November 2010
Dear Trip Advisor Member...

Thank you for taking the time to share you comments with us! For future reservations, please be sure to mention your request for a "shower" in the room as we have only two floors in the hotel with this feature. As not everyone prefers a shower over a bath tub, it is great to know in advance who would prefer this type of room - we would be happy to fulfill this requrest for you during your next stay! Your comments regarding your experience at the restaurant have been shared with the Tundra team. It is very unusual for there to be only one server on duty, so perhaps an unexpected absence occured furing your visit which compromised the level of service. This is certainly not indicative of the hotel's service standards and we do apologize for your inconvenience. We are currently reviewing the entire breakfast experience in the hotel and hope to launch a new breakfast standard in December. Hopefully you will see a marked improvement upon your next visit!

Thanks again for providing your review. We hope to see you again soon!

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 27 November 2010

Stayed here for a weekend in November 2010. Loved the updates to the room and bathroom (we had stayed here before a very long time ago... maybe 8 or 9 years ago now). The bathroom now has a glass wall enclosure instead of a tub and shower curtains. The shower has a ceiling spout or a handheld spout whose height can be adjusted at the front wall of the shower stall. The BEST shower I've had in a hotel EVER! You can actually adjust the pressure high enough to get all the shampoo and conditioner out very quickly. You can also adjust the temperature of the water via actual numeric gauges on the handles (unfortunately only written in Farenheit, not Celsius).

All the staff were very nice: when I walked through the front doors, at check-in, everytime I walked in or out of the hotel, at breakfast in the main restaurant adjacent to the main foyer. One down-side was that they wouldn't grant me a late check-out. I had brunch that morning with a friend, who showed up slightly late. So my plans to pack after brunch were going to be a bit hurried. I had for an extra 30 minutes, but unfortunately, they couldn't give it to me. I think it had to do with the Santa Claus parade going on that afternoon. I managed to check out just after noon with no penalties. So that was nice of them.

Brunch buffet was on the better side of average for a hotel. Coffee and orange juice tasted fresh. There was lipstick on my coffee mug. Luckily I didn't wear any that morning so I could tell for certainty that it wasn't mine. They gave me a new mug immediately with a huge apology.

Best things about the hotel:
1) about 1 block from subway station, 2.5 blocks from about 3 different Starbucks (one just south on University Ave, 2nd just south and east on Adelaide Street, 3rd just north and east on Queen St and a block further east would get you to The Bay and The Eaton Centre!). Note the location of the Starbucks because you get free wifi access, which you don't get for free in the hotel room!
2) the showers and the water pressure level
3) the panoramic view elevators (I only managed to ride it once during my stay, but it was enough).
4) the $7 cab ride from Union Station (train), the 2 minute walk to Queen St cars and subway stations!

Worst things about the hotel:
1) no WIFI in room for free
2) have to pay for local calls made in-room

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Dear Trip Advisor Member....

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedabck with us! I'm so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us! Downtown Toronto is a diverse and exciting destination and we are as "in the middle of it" as you can get! We appreciate the comments on your experience and do encourage you to join our Hilton Hhonors program - the quickest way to free internet access as it is complimentary for our Gold and Diamond level members. Alternatively, for a nominal upgrade fee, our Executive Level rooms include not only free internet access but also a wide array of other value-ads including continental breakfast in the Exectuive Lounge, robes, bottled water and turn down service. One of the best values in town!

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Toronto in the near future!

Warm wisehs,

Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 27 November 2010

This was very strange experience at what is supposed to be, but isn't, a five-star hotel. At arrival, there are no staff outside the front doors. Eventually a guy comes out and tells me there is *NO VALET* at this 'five-star' Hilton hotel. There's also no more space in the parking garage, so now I'm late for the conference while I cruise the financial district to find parking.

The executive level room is adequate but no minibar, and decorated -- inexplicably -- in an early 80's orange-brown. The room is dark and cold when I arrive, like they weren't expecting me. The little things just continue on from there: there's no bathrobe in the room; calling the front desk results in a recorded message telling me to hold; there are *NO BATH TOWELS* in the room (more holding before I can talk to the front desk); I get three bottles of conditioner but no shampoo; housekeeping doesn't replace bottled water and it takes 3 phone calls and 4 hours to get more; the clock radio tells the wrong time and can't be reset without a screw driver; the pool is empty except for a ladder and construction debris, etc, etc.

Summary: Hilton has their act so badly together, they have no business charging luxury hotel rates, especially when any of Fairmont, Four Seasons, Park Hyatt, Sheraton or Westin can easily do better.

You know, funny thing: on check out, the desk staff woman _never_ asked "How was your stay?". Perhaps she's tired of hearing an honest answer.

2 Thank CanInternat
Dear Trip Advisor Member...

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us. Please do accept our most sincere apology for the disappointing experience your encountered as is it certainly not indicative of the level of service you should expect from the Hilton Toronto. I would invite you to contact my office directly so that we may more fuly understand your experience and resolve this situation to your satisfaction. It is never our intention for anyone to leave the hotel with their expectations not fully met and we will be sure to remind our Front Desk team of the importance of inquiring about your stay during the departure process.

I do hope you will take the opportunity to contact me directly....

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 26 November 2010

The hotel is located in an area close to many restaurants, should you wish to sample other eateries other than those within the establishment, but you will surely miss the warm and friendly service at the hotel. Every one makes you feel at home.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Dear Trip Advisor Member...

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedack with us! Our company founder, Conrad Hilton, based our brand on the principle of "sharing the light and warmth of hospitality". I'm so pleased to hear that our entire team upheld this philosphy and created the appropriate environemnt for your visit! I hope you will come visit us again soon!

Boston
Reviewed 24 November 2010

I stayed on the executive level which allowed me and a guest to use the executive lounge, a real perk. The views and location were terrific. The room was clean, and the bed very comfortable. For the price I thought this was good value since it's a walking distance to downtown meetings, restaurants, and fun stores!

Dear Trip Advisor Member...

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us! We all agree that the view from our 32nd floor Executive Lounge is one of the best in town! A great perk that we encourage everyone to try!
We hope to see you at the Hilton Toronto again soon!