“Excellent Location”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Toronto, Canada
“Excellent Location”
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Just stayed one night but very spacious room with a comfortable bed. Would have like to have seen a mini fridge in the room as we brought own own pop, water & milk so had to keep it in the ice bucket overnight. We didn't take advantage of any of the hotel amenities but walked around within the hotel including going up to the 18th floor to look at the gym & pool. There is also a small lookout/ lounging area outside when you exit through the pool area with great views. Spent an afternoon walking around outside as there is so much to see right outside the hotel as well as in the location only blocks away i.e. City Hall (old & new), old churches, parks with beautiful gardens, as well as the Eaton Center right behind this hotel. We even walked down to the harbourfront, which is a nice little hike on a great day.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (229)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Nova Scotia
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Over the last two months I have had stayed at 10 different hotels and unfortunately my most recent stay at the Toronto Marriott downtown was disappointing. The location is great as it is attached to the Eaton Centre and a block from Dundas Square and short walk to all the touristy spots.
The room was average in the decor although the size was a little better than average with adequate space for a couch and desk with a king bed. The bathroom sink area had loose grout and there was a long black hair in the sink when we arrived. The A/C was not efficient and we called three times report this in between our busy schedule. We set the A/C to 60 and fan on high and the air quality was smothering during the night and of course no open windows. The engineer met with us in the room after the third call and said he had changed the filter but when the output was the vent was measured it was actually 68 degrees when the thermostat read 60. We ended up moving to another room down the hall and the engineer kindly helped us move our belongings. He was very helpful.
My issue was the lack of responsiveness after two calls and no follow-up call or message to see if things were okay. After we changed rooms we received a call from the front desk telling us the $20 bill at breakfast would be waived and they sent two bottles of water, a banana, orange and apple to the room on a tray. Hmm... not sure if this is adequate compensation for no sleep.
When I initially spoke to the front desk about the A/C I also told the front desk that the pop machine on our floor was empty and we had lost $2 in the machine the night before after coming home from a concert. She asked what I wanted from the machine and I said a water and she said there is free water there in the lobby lol. I chuckled and said I don't need the water now but wanted you to know to check so no one else loses their money.
Overall for a high end hotel it did not meet with expectations. I enjoyed breakfast in the Trios restaurant and the servers were great. The continental buffet was 19.99 very good with lots of fresh fruit, hot oatmeal, yogurt etc. The granola was in little bags and was actually stale. Orange juice is tropicana. The hotel did a great job arranging airport transportation and the gentleman at thefront desk early in the a.m. when we left was very helpful.
My husband and I remarked this would be a pricey trip if we had our children with us as there is no fridge in the room and a fee for internet in the room. I also felt their Rewards program is lacking as there are not incentives to be a member of Marriott Rewards. For priority rewards at Intercontinental you get a free snack upon arrival and free water in the room. Starwood preferred guests (SPG) get free internet from the room. Hilton just provides the free internet. I would not stay there again on a return to Toronto. The cons outweighed the pros.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I stayed at the Marriott very last second. My other plans in Toronto fell through. I showed up about 6 hours too early for check in and the front desk staff could not be more wonderful. The room was very clean, beautiful view, and the bed was dreamy.

I stayed for 4 days and loved it. Would return for sure!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Montreal
Reviewed 27 August 2012

We love this hotel. We always stay there when visiting toronto. It is centrally located, and make visiting by foot easy, near shopping, museums, theaters. Beautiful hotel, comfy and large room, well appointed. Staff and service very helpful.

Room Tip: Toronto is great all year round but go in August during the Greek festival lots of food and fun. Pub...
1 Thank Mondalisa
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 26 August 2012

My husband and I are both very well traveled. Due to business, my husband consistently stays in Marriott hotels throughout the US and the world. We are typically very high raters of places that we stay and we aren't easy bothered, but this hotel just didn't meet our expectations.

We arrived at the hotel and self-parked in the parking garage. The daily cost for self-parking is 29 CAD. We were quickly helped at check-in, but none of the amenities of the hotel were even explained. We had to ask for a quick explanation of the layout, before we were ushered on our way.

After a long drive from Tobermory, we jumped in the shower and realized that limited towels were provided (two bath towels). I quickly called the front desk and more towels were brought to our room. unfortunately, after room cleaning the following day, all the extra towels were removed and we were back to two bath towels. We had to make an additional call to receive our towels. *We had also listed extra towels on our reservation form.

As a gold member, we do not have a high enough status to earn free wireless and they wanted to charge 15.95 CAD per 24 hours period. We also did not "qualify" for free breakfast. If you wanted room service, it started around 12 CAD pp and the buffet was 26 CAD pp. As you can tell, they want to charge for EVERYTHING!

My husband and I are use to some things being included, such as internet and continental breakfast. We used reward points for our stay, but still ended up paying over 100 CAD for a three night, four day visit (parking and one day of internet). We also received bogus charges on our bill at check-out for long distance calls. When we spoke with the receptionist, they explained that there was a "bug" in their system and it charged everyone. I believe that every good businessman should at least check the bills before sliding them under the door, wouldn't you?

Location: It was okay. I would have stayed closer to the Distillery District or the CN tower. This hotel is at least a 20-30 walk to each destination and there were other options much closer. The mall is very close by and served as our daily breakfast location.

Room: The room was pretty large. Coffee was included and replaced each day. The shower was relatively clean (minor mold in the crevices), the bed was semi-comfortable. It was too soft for our taste and the fitted sheet did not seem able to stay on the bed. We could tell it was at least 5-7 years old. There was also a broken outlet on the wall.

We did have a great trip to Toronto, but this hotel missed the mark.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a newer mattress.
Ontario
Reviewed 25 August 2012

I usually stay at the Marriott when traveling on business however, on this occasion, I was disappointed with the sloppy housekeeping. My recycling bin was not cleared and there were a few items left (pen, tape on the rug; soap scum in the tub) making me feel like the cleaning was not as thorough as it should have been.
Otherwise, location is excellent and the service was also very good. Room has all the amenities that you would need.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business