“Location is the main draw”

Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre Hotel
Ranked #29 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 24 June 2014

I chose this hotel because it is my first visit to Toronto and I wanted stay somewhere central. In terms of location, then this hotel is great. It is right in the heart of downtown Toronto and next door to the major mall of Eaton Centre. So shops, and a great food court are right next door. It is also next to Dundas Square and there are many shops and eateries just a few steps away. The subway is also there, and so is the PATH (underground shopping tunnels).

So I really liked the hotel for its location.

However, the room is average, nothing fancy. They do not provide complimentary bottled water, but the room also did not have a minibar (I was very surprised!) nor a kettle to boil water. Perhaps Canadians drink straight from the tap, but as a foreign visitor, I wasn't so comfortable doing so. I do understand if they choose not to provide complimentary bottled water, but then they should at least provide a kettle or a minibar. When I enquired about the minibar, I was told that it is only available upon request. This is my first experience (and I travel quite frequently) at a good-class business hotel where there is no minibar.

The amenities are also limited - again, surprising for a good-class business hotel. No shower cap, no cotton buds, no bedroom slippers. (I can't recall if they provided bathrobes or not).

A strange thing happened when I checked in -- the room I was assigned to did not exist!! The bellboy and I walked up and down looking for the room, but there was no such room number. I asked the bellboy to call down to the Front Desk to check, and he was given a different room number. I asked the bellboy if he was 100% sure that was my room, as I didn't want anyone trying to enter my room while I'm was in it!

The staff at the hotel were very good. Good service, friendly, helpful.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank MunkyMama68
Frank S, Manager at Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Thanks for taking the time to offer your feedback as it pertains to your last stay with us.

Thank you for recognizing our Hosts for the servcie that they provided to you.

In order for us to better prepare for future stays please email me your personal details at frank.strippoli@marriott.com and I will update your guest profile.

I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations this trip and truly hope that we will be given an opportunity to make it up to you in the future.

Best,
frank

Reviewed 22 June 2014

Most Marriotts are pretty predictable (which is a good thing), but the service at this location is a step above. Reservation desk, bell captain, front desk all super friendly. The concierge level is off lobby (a little different than most marriotts) but the service there was superlative - the elder lady helping with breakfast in mornings was very friendly. Location is outstanding - adjacent to Eaton Centre. Also needed a rollaway bed in a tight quarters - front desk was able to help. Only minus would be a very tiny pool/jacuzzi area (skip it) and the walkway to eaton centre closed (not a big deal - but not clearly marked). Would stay again

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Rene A H
Reviewed 21 June 2014

The common areas of the hotel are quite attractive but the rooms and hallways are pretty ordinary as some Marriott's go. What makes this hotel distinctive is the outstanding service from beginning to end. Everyone at the hotel acted like their primary mission was to make sure you were happy and satisfied as their guest. The level of care and genuine interest in me as a customer, made this Marriott really stand out.

Room Tip: As for a high floor to get a better view.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I had stayed at this hotel before, but my last stay was disappointing. The people making the reservation were disorganized and the room was starting to look quite shabby. The big problem was after checkout, they double charged me for the room and were not at all apologetic. Rude, actually. Good location but had a bad experience with the staff and the room was not up to par.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Raisa A
Frank S, Manager at Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Thank you for taking the time to complete our Guest Satisfaction Survey and sharing your experience with the Toronto Marriott Downtown Eaton Centre Hotel.

I would like to apologize for any inconvenience you experienced during your recent stay with us. I can certainly understand the frustration you must have felt after receiving an inaccurate room charge. I would like you to know that we are investigating the incident further, to ensure a similar situation does not occur in the future.

Again I thank you for bringing these issues to our attention.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Very nice and clean hotel. Great service and very helpful friendly staff. Cant beat the location
which in the heart of Toronto. A short walk to Hockey Hall of Fame. The hotel ties directly in the Eaton's mall. I enjoyed my stay at the Marriott.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DonnyC1
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This is a good welcoming, supportiv hotel in a good position for visiting Toronto and doing a lot of things very well. a modern buioing - my guess is that most of the rooms would reacxh the same standard of facility and view. the Trios bistro is good both for short snacks and longer meals. taking my life in my hahds i ordered fish and chips - which is quite often badly cooked and served. it was reaaly good - crisp chips and crisply battered fish. This is not to suggest that the menu consists simpy of such traditional English dishes - far from it.

The bar was providing a good place to watch the World Cup - which a lot of people enjoyed.

The concierge services were reliabkle and speedy.

we would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank chrisBerkhamsted
Reviewed 17 June 2014

I have probably stayed at this hotel a dozen times without issue. The staff is very friendly and always welcomes me back on arrival. My last trip my daughter spilled hot chocolate in my vehicle and the valets helped clean it up. I asked for a fridge and had no issues getting one immediately which was great for a longer stay.
The location is perfect for shopping, theatre, close to the Path and subway. This hotel is always my first choice in Toronto.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business