“Sometimes it's hard to get the old out of the old”
Review of Windsor Arms Hotel

Windsor Arms Hotel
Ranked #43 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Austin, Texas
“Sometimes it's hard to get the old out of the old”
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I was looking forward to a lovely stay at a historic hotel that had pretty great reviews. When we arrived, the front desk clerk was busy with another guest and then phone calls and didn't bother to acknowledge us at all. When check in was taking a long time I asked him what was going on and he replied in a pretty snarky tone, "well I'm checking you in".

The bellman and valet were lovely and the room itself was nice. I felt that I had made a good decision not to stay in a newer and larger property. After a long travel day, I took a nap with my partner and we both woke up not being able to breathe and itching. The pillows smelled like someone's musty dirty head and the sheets, though better, were also musty. When we woke up itching, we decided to check out.

The front office manager Kelly, was very nice and offered to switch rooms for us, but we declined feeling that either they aren't particular with every room, or they are using a detergent that isn't hypoallergenic or at least not for us. Regardless, we stayed for 3 hours and they refused to refund our money or cancel. Truthfully, in spite of potentially losing over $1000, we checked out and switched to a new property. I think that if they have an unhappy guest, even after they tried to reassure me that everything is hypoallergenic and we are the only people ever who have ever been dissatisfied, they should have gracefully allowed us to leave instead of telling us we will lose 3 nights prepaid accommodations.

5 Thank swankyhotels
WindsorArmsHotel, Manager at Windsor Arms Hotel, responded to this review, 7 May 2014
Dear Swankyhotels
I am saddened that your visit to the Windsor Arms was disappointing.

I would like to take this opportunity to correct some factual comments. The Windsor Arms is less than 15 years old and over the past 15 years it has been updated 3 times. We are committed to providing the finest accommodations in Toronto. The Windsor Arms has been here for over 80 years but the old hotel was demolished in the late nineties and the current Windsor Arms was built in 1999. The design of the Windsor Arms was respectful to its history while featuring all of the modern conveniences expected by the 21st century luxury traveler.

Regarding the linen comments, please be assured that all of our laundry is done on site using green products, including an ozone system. This process is elaborate to ensure our guest's comfort.

Regarding your refund request, please understand that your reservation and payment was not done directly with the Hotel. Accordingly your payment was to a third party, not Windsor Arms.

I apologize if at any point any of our staff were anything less than attentive or helpful, and I thank you for your complimentary comment about the room itself.

I do hope that you will give us another opportunity to be of service to you.

Sincerely

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 April 2014

The staff of this hotel pays such attention to details that it feels like I couldn't have wanted for anything that wasn't readily available. AND more than one of them wouldn't accept a tip! Their dedication to service coupled with the solidly, old world beauty of the place makes it one of my favorite hotels, ever. Big, quiet rooms, stocked with drinks and some food, as much nespresso coffee as you can drink, comfortable plush furnishings, internet that's faster than mine at home, fresh baked goods at breakfast, and at the risk of being repetitive, one of the nicest staffs ever. Can't wait to go back.

New York, NY
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We flatter ourselves seasoned travelers, and have enjoyed such heralded hotels as The Park Hyatt in Tokyo, the Ritz in Paris, and the Covent Garden in London. Now we have a new favorite: the Windsor Arms in Toronto. Nestled on a cozy side-street just moments from the plush shops of Bloor Street, it's an absolutely sumptuous property with spacious, elegant rooms (featuring the charming novelty of butler pantries, so your laundry and your breakfast can be stealthily delivered with nary a knock on the door), an elegant tea room, and a bar replete with overstuffed couches, signature cocktails, and old-world charm. But we were most impressed by the service; despite the hotel's extravagant trappings, the staff was refreshingly approachable, eager to help, and full of boundless good humor. The concierge Kevin even printed out the programs for our nephew's college recital at the University of Toronto; and his tireless attention to detail, charming wit, and gracious manner set the tone for our stay. The food at the hotel's restaurant was scrumptious, and the linens on our bed were luxe; we slept like children on pillows as soft as marshmallows. All in all, we wish we lived at the Windsor Arms.

2 Thank Porpex
Brampton, Canada
Reviewed 7 April 2014

This is the best of hotels in Toronto..old school class and distinctive furnishings. Very accommodating staff and extraordinary food and lodging. I prefer this Hotel over the Ritz..much more intimate hotel with a pelithury of character.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank richard p
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I went with three of my girlfriends to the Windsor Arms for high tea. We had tried several other places in Toronto prior to this, so it was becoming somewhat of a ritual. The hostess takes your coats and hangs them up in the coat room so you didn't have to worry about sitting with them at your table. The decor of the tea room was lovely. Beautiful purple accents throughout the room and crystal chandeliers. The waiters were very professional and prompt. By far the best scones I have had at a high tea before - so buttery, soft and delicious! The sandwiches were good, but not as good as other places. And the desserts were to be shared with someone else (instead of bringing one dessert per person of the four different types of dessert, there was one between two people so we split them in half). But no matter as we were stuffed regardless.

It is located in a great area, and afterward we did a bit of shopping. All in all a must try for those who love high tea!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank RosaryLab
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 27 February 2014

This was my first time to Toronto and the Everyone at the Windsor Arms went out of their way to make sure my experience was beyond satisfactory. I have to especially mention Kevin the front office manager who went above and beyond to assist me with my flight check-in and printing my boarding pass which was a painstaking process but he did it with a smile on his face the whole time. It's little things like this that leave a great impression. I'd also like to mention Chef Ras at The Living Room who was so accommodating and polite when I went in for breakfast. He was extremely attentive and asked every customer how their breakfast was with genuine concern. Also, the made-in-house mixed berry jam is phenomenal!! Overall, my experience was fantastic and I can't wait to come back!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 18 January 2014

This is a small, but charming boutique hotel. Has a super location right in the heart of Toronto. Check in was friendly and fast. There is some shopping and fine dining establishments within walking distance, but the food on site is so good, that I don't think you'll need to go elsewhere, except for variety. We stayed just a night, so we ate in house. Our room was big, well decorated, with everything and all you need, even an umbrella and a blu-ray! The room was very clean and I'm all about clean. Top notch.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends