“Good Hotel”

Ranked #55 of 136 Hotels in Toronto
Canada
“Good Hotel”
Reviewed 4 May 2014

Stayed at The Westin Prince for one nite on a business trip to Toronto. Chose it as it was close to my business meetings in the surrounding area.

Location wise, the hotel is located just off the 401, in an area surrounded by greenery, with a number of good restaurants just outside the hotel entrance. You'll need a car if you're staying at this property, as there's no subway station within walking distance, though there are buses serving the area.

This is a business class property, and the decor and amenities reflect that. The only amenity that I felt was missing, was that the room's mini fridge was not equipped with drinks or snacks. As a full service business class hotel, I expected the mini bar to be fully stocked, and felt the inconvenience late at night when I was working in my room, and was looking for a snack..

Notable mention: As a SPG member, I was selected as SPG guest of the day at the hotel, and received free parking, free internet and a coupon for complimentary grab n go coffee in the morning. I thought this was a nice touch.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Kevin M, Manager at The Westin Prince Toronto, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
SqTraveler,
Thank you for taking a few moments to inform us of your recent stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed the added perks of our SPG of the day program. This has been in effect for about 2 years and has been a true success. We do have 4 floors which have mini fridges stocked and the remaining rooms can have this done upon request. We are working on getting all rooms fully equipped and look to have this done in the near future. We hope we can see you staying again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Korean first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 April 2014

I have stayed at the prince hotel numerous times and love love love it. From the wonderful staff, to the clean rooms, this hotel is good value for the money. It's location is in north York a bit of a drive to downtown Toronto so if you want to stay amongst the action of Toronto this hotel is not for you. It tends to look a bit dated from the exterior but the interior is lovely. The hotel also has one of the best Sunday buffets in town..pricey but worth every penny.. I will always stay at the Prince.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
LoriEllen W,
Thank you for so many inspiring comments about your experiences with our property and team. We aim to provide a memorable experience for each guest who stays and are happy to read you have witnessed this first hand. Also we have passed along your sentiments to our culinary team with respect to the Sunday brunch. They have made it very successful and it's refreshing to be able to provide them such impactful comments about their hard work. We look forward to seeing you again.
Curitiba, PR
Reviewed 24 April 2014

This is a nice hotel that is poorly located. They have a wonderful customer service and good restaurant. The main complaint is related to where it is located, it's not downtown and it takes long time to find cool places to visit. I've spent approx 30 days there.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank RicheliRorato
Kevin M, Manager at The Westin Prince Toronto, responded to this review, 25 April 2014
RicheliRorato,
Thank you for your insight. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed the service provided by the team and we have informed them of your sentiments. Our location is usually a strong point as we can provide a relaxing visit to the city while still being convenient to many attractions the city has to offer. At the same time we understand your thoughts on not being entirely downtown. We hope we can see you staying with us again and if requiring any assistance please connect with me directly. Be Well!
ottawa, on
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The hotel lobby area is beautiful and the staff always stopped to say hello or good morning. Excellent attention to detail and amazingly clean despite a few conferences going on at the hotel. Would have been a fast check-in upon arrival but the front desk clerk could not find the second room I had reserved even though I had my paperwork from Westin Reservations to prove it. She found two rooms across the hall from one another so despite not being adjoining rooms it worked. The rooms themselves were modern and tastefully decorated and the elevator was quick. Had some trouble with my room service bill but once a manager was involved the situation was quickly remedied. Would recommend going across or down the street to eat as I did not find the hotel food that impressive or if you have a car to the Shops at Don Mills.

cdnhart,
Thank you for taking a few moments to share your thoughts on your recent stay with us. We are inspired to read so many positive remarks about the team and the service they provided. Our goal is to have you leaving more refreshed than when you arrived and it seems we succeeded. We hope this past experience is the springboard for many more in the future.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 20 April 2014

We chose the Westin Prince as the hotel venue for guests at our wedding which was held off-site. We had nothing but bad experiences from beginning to end in trying to manage a block of discounted rooms for our guests.

The original manager we dealt with was not accommodating, at times rude, and offered little help in trying to create a positive experience. There was no discount for the Junior Suite booked for the bride and groom.

Many of the guests that called to book their rooms were told - months in advance - that the block was sold out, or that the quoted rate was incorrect. We either had to call to correct, or the guests themselves had to speak to a variety of people to get the originally quoted rate.

A random 26 days before the wedding weekend, more guests were called to say the room rate had an expiry period. Which was never communicated to the bride and groom at the time or creation of the wedding block. Despite numerous requests and communications, many of our guests were not granted the wedding block rate we had communicated with the venue. Extremely disappointing.

There is no free parking, you need to pay $12/day to park in the nearby lot, or $17/day for valet service. Further, there is no wifi, beyond paying $20 for 24 hours for a slow connection.

Housekeeping was terrible. We stayed in the Junior Suite for 2 nights, and after the first night, housekeeping simply made the bed. They did not refresh the toilet paper, they did not refresh the towels - or even put the ones left on the counter away. The garbage pails were full and they were not emptied, the carpet was not vacuumed, and the suite was left a complete mess, with the exception of the bed being made. I'm not even sure if the sheets were changed, as I had requested earlier.

At check-out, the hostess asked if I had enjoyed my experience at the Westin Prince. I said "no". She simply looked down at her computer and said "Oh", then printed my invoice and said "Thank you for staying at the Westin Prince."

A handful of luggage, waiving a valet ticket, looking for assistance had the valet attendant just watch me as I struggled with my luggage. When I finally went to him to give him the ticket, he asked me if I was ok going to the car myself.

All in all, a disappointing experience both for me and my husband over our wedding weekend, but also embarrassment as many of our guests experienced a variety of "quoted" fees, Some of which were not the rate quoted by the hotel.

I will never stay here again, and neither will many of our guests.

Room Tip: Most rooms have balconies, but the doors are screwed shut. Yes, screwed shut. Make sure you ask for...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Sanderella97,
We thank you for taking a few moments to highlight your experience with us. We wish it could have provided a more lasting and positive impression. Our wedding business has grown significantly over the past few years and has been very successful. I'm sorry you did not leave with this perception and we have connected with all our team members so as to improve for the future. We hope you provide us another opportunity when in the city and if I can be of any personal assistance please feel free to connect with me. Congratulations and we wish you many happy years ahead.
Kimberley, ON
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We were in town for a conference and had a one night stay. The entry into the hotel, in my opinion, is grand and modern. We were quickly checked in by Joseph who was kind and seemed to genuinely be interested in how our drive to the city had been. There were several other staff who said hello as we were entering. We had a deluxe corner suite on 17th floor and it was lovely. I had called ahead to request robes in the room and they were there upon arrival. The beds truly are the most comfortable that I have slept in. We dined off site at a local pub across the street. We would most definitely book again!

DRTWLY,
"Impressed" is a very positive title and we thank you for this. We have shared your thoughts with Joseph and the team so they may see how their actions can affect one's experience. With the warmer weather approaching our pool will soon be opening and hopefully we can see you staying again this summer.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 17 April 2014

The hotel itself is nice, nothing spectacular. Staff pleasant and attentive, for the most part. However, service for breakfast in the morning was extremely slow and had to track down our server for the bill (two mornings in a row.) Complete opposite in the bar area – friendly and timely each night we were there.

Have stayed here for business before and normally internet is great, but this time not so much. Two nights had to go to lobby as the internet wouldn’t connect in the room.

The rooms are clean, large and the bed is comfortable – bathroom could use a little TLC as wallpaper was coming off in a few areas.

Room Tip: Don't get a room across from the ice machine
kari I,
Thank you for informing us of your recent experience. Although you highlight many positive areas, we are sorry to read of the inconveniences you endured. We can assure you this is not typical and we hope you provide us another opportunity when in the area. If I can be of any assistance please feel free to connect with me directly.