“They've done better for us in past years”

Toronto Airport Marriott Hotel
Ranked #54 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 24 September 2013

We put on an evening seminar here every year and have corresponding guest rooms to match. Given the hotel performance, etc of years past, they've been better than this year.

The wireless internet in conference/mtg room inaccessible without very special dispensation from front desk to point of requiring use of their computer to access. Guest room toilet in both mine and my coworker's guest rooms wouldn't flush and had to get plunged by maintenance to work.

Room Tip: Airport noise thru the night in airport side - light sleepers may want a room on other side.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
JonHolliwell, Manager at Toronto Airport Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Dear Hatlad,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We are always appreciative of quality feedback, as it helps guide us to making improvements.

I was sorry to hear that during your experience this year, we failed to live up to your previous experiences with us. In September, we suffered through a few weeks of internet challenges. Our entire infrastructure has to be changed over a course of a few weeks and it was greatly inconvenient for our guests. I am happy to report that the problem was rectified.

Your comment about the toilets in the guest room has been shared with our Engineering team for follow up.

We do hope that you will consider us again in the future for your meeting or travel needs.

Kind regards,

Jonathan Holliwell
Director of Hotel Operations

Reviewed 24 September 2013

The location of the hotel is ideal for travel, but far away from the city. It is an older hotel, but the rooms and the gym are ok. Nothing special, but they do the job. Breakfast also a-la-carte, but took quite long to get served.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We stayed here for one night before traveling to NYC. Reception desk staff were quite abrupt and it wasn't the friendliest of welcomes. The room itself was good, quite spacious and it was a comfortable bed. However, as it's 2013, most travellers will expect complimentary internet but this was not the case at this hotel and internet charges were very expensive for quite a poor internet service. We ate in the bistro style restaurant and the staff were very polite, attentive and friendly and food was quite good although a little over priced. Pool area looked nice, and gym was quite small, although we did not use either facility. The laundry facilities were out of use when we stayed which was a little inconvenient. The free shuttle bus service to the airport was great however. Overall, not bad at all for the price we paid!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 September 2013 via mobile

I enjoyed everything about this hotel except the quality of the room service food. Rooms are clean, location is very convenient and staff is very accommodating. Fix the food and this place will be perfect.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 12 September 2013

Great location with great restaurants in the area. The room is clean and spacious. The only thing I really didn't like is the expensive parking and the expensive internet. What hotel these days don't have free wifi!?

The bed is comfy, but the pillows aren't as good as they should be.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 September 2013

This is my first time staying at this property and the first impressions were actually very good. The front desk agent was very helpful and friendly and was able to check me in early. I received well above the normal entitlement a Platinum elite would receive. Free self-parking to be precise (retail 19$ a night). I got vouchers for continental breakfast as the lounge is closed on weekends, more on that later.

The room was nice, did not get a room upgrade per say but I was moved up to the concierge floor, which just becomes a regular floor because the lounge was closed. We decided to go down to the restaurant for lunch. After some confusion on which menu to present to us (the host? invited us to stare at a paper menu at the podium area before being seated). Strange. A manager was in the area and pulled real menus from the podium and showed us the way (us and the host). Clearly the host was confused and lost.

After being seated for about 10-15 minutes, no one had come to acknowledge our presence by taking our orders. The bartender eventually showed up and asked us if we were just hanging out. We told her that were around for lunch and our orders were taken. My biggest issue is that while our food was being made, the bartender was tending to some light duties at the bar and was complaining the whole time about a customer to an other employee across the bar. This customer apparently stepped out for a bit after she ordered food, and the bartender got upset by that fact. At first I thought it was funny because I thought the bartender was complaining about a fellow employee who might have taken a long break or something, but once I found out that she was talking about a customer in their back, it really ruined the experience.

The room was pretty spacious, well appointed and clean. Standard offerings for a Marriott. There is a laptop plug in area for the TV, except that the function to change inputs on the TV are disabled, rendering the plug in area useless. Even when trying to plug my laptop straight to the tv with an HDMI cable, the TV simply would not change over to HDMI no matter what. The physical buttons on the TV are disabled and the remote was equally useless. Great idea, poor execution.

The next morning we went to the restaurant where breakfast was served and we were told that we could take cold items from the buffet, as our vouchers were for continental breakfasts. First, I am disappointed that this Marriott would give limited selection to their top tier members while other Marriotts offer full breakfasts. Even the lounge has hot items! Second, I am disappointed that they tried to up sell me on a full breakfast. But the worst is that the breakfast buffet was poorly stocked. So at the end, this limited breakfast turned into eating the scraps of the limited breakfast. How appalling considering people normally pay big money for this buffet.

This property upset me more than anything when it came to service. Other than the front desk, my two other encounters with the staff in the restaurant were very sub par. There is a very nice Fairfield Inn a very short distance away and I can say that their service is superior to this full service property. At least they can properly stock a breakfast area, offer hot items to everyone at no additional charge, and offer great service.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mapelle621
JonHolliwell, Manager at Toronto Airport Marriott Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 September 2013

Dear Mapelle621,

Thank you for taking time to write this review.

We take extreme pride in the service that we provide to our guests, and your experience does not reflect that. I would be dissapointed as well!

On both occasions, your restaurant experience was not acceptable. This posting is being used as a training reminder for our team.

I would like to commet about the new Marriott Elite Rewards program. In the past, there was no complimentary breakfast offered to members on weekends. We viewed that as a potential problem and decided to offer free continental breakfast to Gold and Platinum members as a service, with and optional upgrade to full breakfast for $5.00. Free continental breakfast for Gold and Platinum members is a Marriott Standard now.

I will make a note to thank the Front Desk team for doing an outstanding job.

Thank you once again for your feedback.

Kind Regards,

Jonathan Holliwell
Director of Hotel Operations

Reviewed 3 September 2013

The great thing about priceline.com is the fantastic prices you can get using "name your own price".
The bad thing is you can't control which hotel you get. I got this one again but tried to view it with a fresh perspective.
It's fine in most respects. I found the front desk staff much friendlier this time.
The big problem for me is the glasses in the room. They should be clean!!! That was my main complaint last time. And again this time two of the glasses were quite dirty. That just shouldn't happen. The other aspects of the room seemed to be clean, but with an obvious issue like the glasses, it's hard to feel like the rest of it is clean.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple