“not flawless but very enjoyable and a good value”

Grand Hotel Toronto
Ranked #26 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 29 January 2014

This was my first family trip to Toronto. We had a 2 bedroom suite, and I loved the feeling it gave us of having our own apartment in the city. The views were gorgeous- we were on one of the highest floors; but if you're lower down, you can still go see the view from the roof top- worth the time. The location was fantastic, a great walking distance to the St. Lawrence Market, where we went twice, as well as being walkable to some other attractions. When we first got to our room, we were a little nervous as we could hear a baby crying in the room next to ours. But once we stepped into our room from the hall, we didn't hear a thing from the neighbors again. Friendly staff, a nice pool and breakfast was a good solid offering. The only thing stopping me from giving it 5 stars are some little details- for instance, the paint job in the suite was poorly done. Nothing that interferes with the functionality, just style points (and maybe someone who hasn't done as much painting as I have would never notice in the first place). We would definitely stay here again and we can't wait to go back to Toronto.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Kristin M
Greg E, Manager at Grand Hotel Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 3 February 2014

Dear Kristin M,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your feedback. We are so pleased that you had enjoyed your stay and we hope that your first trip Toronto will not be your last !

I will also be sure to share your comments regards to the paint with our maintenance department to ensure this is looked after right away !

Kristin M, we hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel in the very near future !

There are newer reviews for Grand Hotel Toronto

Reviewed 29 January 2014

As a European I felt very much at home in this charming high quality hotel with a sense of luxury. The rooms are set up beautifully and with a sense for design and taste that is truly rare. The breakfast buffet has a European touch as well and provides a great selection of tasty foods and drinks. The service is excellent - all staff we encountered was professional and helpful. I definitely recommend this hotel to anyone from inside and outside Europe!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear Aarti-Mona S,

Thank you for sharing your positive review with others. It was such a pleasure having you stay with us. I will be sure to share your positive comments with my team!

Aarti-Mona S, we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon !

Reviewed 27 January 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Grand Hotel during the Toronto ice storm. The staff were unbelievable and truly made us feel like we were at home. My husband had just has a hip replacement and they were thoughtful enough to have a wheel chair waiting for us right at the door. They parked the car for us as well. Anything that we needed was provided to us. They were welcoming and friendly from the moment we walked in until the moment we left. After having spent time there, there is nowhere else that I would ever stay. I am an event planner and I will be telling all of my clients that if their guest are looking for a place to stay in Toronto, that THIS is the place!!!

Room Tip: The lofts are stunning, but truthfully every room really is great!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Marsha B

Dear Marsha B,

Thank you for sharing your review with others. We are so pleased that we were able to provide you with accommodations during the Toronto Ice Storm. We are so happy that you had enjoyed your stay during your unexpected staycation and hope that we made your stay most comfortable.

Marsha B, we hope that we have the opportunity to welcome you to the hotel again, of course, with no storm !

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I've stayed at many hotels in Toronto now and can honestly say the Grand Hotel made an excellent impression on me. I would highly recommend this to those traveling within the country and province and others visiting from abroad.

Incredible friendly and helpful staff, willing to go above and beyond
Clean, large, modern rooms with everything you could need to have an enjoyable stay.
Fast elevators! You're not standing there forever to go up and down.
Rooftop patio and hot tubs with a beautiful view of the city!
Gorgeous indoor pool, hot tub and sauna, very luxurious
Parking- Go with the valet - Its well worth it, the bellhops are very courteous and helpful and go the extra mile.
Breakfast- Best I've ever had in a hotel and included in your price!
Location - Hop skip and a jump from shopping, restaurants, tourist attractions
Hotel price, very reasonable.

This hotel is a hidden gem, if they can continue to maintain quality service - they will be a force to be reckoned with in the Toronto Hotel community.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Harnettshow,

Thank you so much for the amazing review! It was such a pleasure having you stay with us recently ! We are so pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and specifically the service and guest rooms!

Harnettshow, we hope that during your next stay into Toronto, we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back !

Warmest Regards,

Reviewed 23 January 2014

Location-great
Rooms-clean up to date
Free wireless
Excellent gym and pool
Wonderful warm staff...and a free breakfast.
Nice cosy beds, a quiet hotel.
The hotel shuttled us to the train station...
Altogether a great stay, and will go back!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Donna C

Dear Donna C,

Thank you for staying with us during your trip into Toronto !

We hope that we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the hotel very soon !

Reviewed 7 January 2014

It's been 11 months since we stayed and we have nothing but good memories of our stay.

-We stayed in the jacuzzi suite. Because there were no pictures of the suite on the hotel's website, my girlfriend went in person and asked to check out the room before we booked it. The staff were extremely accommodating and let her tour the suite before booking it. This was VERY important, as she is a young-looking woman and when she tried this at another hotel she was rebuffed for fear that she was booking the room for a drunken party.

-When my girlfriend mentioned in passing that it was for our anniversary they included a cute little anniversary package for us on our arrival.

-We ordered room service for dinner from the late-night menu and it was very very good. About as expensive as you'd expect room service to be. We went down to the bar and had drinks as well. They had a nice selection of different unique cocktails and a decent enough selection of beer.

-We went to the roof but we weren't brave enough to try the rooftop hot-tub in the middle of February. (There were other guests braver than us who were enjoying it though).

-The breakfast was a hot buffet. I don't think it was supposed to be all you can eat but we saw people going up for seconds who weren't stopped or reprimanded for doing so so that was nice.

The only complaints I have are very small:
-I did not pack a toothbrush because I am used to the option of one being provided by the hotel. There was no option for that, and the gift store did not sell them (or was sold out perhaps?). Walking a few blocks to a drug store to buy a tooth brush was no big deal though
-I also forgot to pack my swim trunks and the gift store did not sell that item either.
-Finally I forgot my cell phone charger and was surprised that the front desk did not have a selection of chargers to lend people in a similar situation.

Basically though those issues would have been solved if I had been more attentive whilst packing, so they did not ruin the trip by any means.

We really enjoyed the night. One night with fees and taxes and room service and the bar and tips ended up being something in the area of $700 which is steep but sometimes you have to treat yourselves.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Danno M

Dear Danno M,

Its warming to read that we had left a lasting impression on your stay in Toronto! We were delighted that we were apart of your anniversary!

Hopefully during your next stay with us, the weather will be more favorable- be sure to enjoy the rooftop hot tubs next time !

Danno M, we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon !

Reviewed 7 January 2014

My boyfriend and I recently stayed at the Grand for 4 nights and had a very pleasant stay. I did a lot of research before booking our stay - I wanted to be in a nice hotel in downtown Toronto but was on a somewhat limited budget for the trip (the trip was a Christmas present for my boyfriend who really likes luxury hotels but since I'm a full-time grad student my budget limited the options). The Grand was a great choice. The staff were very friendly and accommodating and happily made dinner reservations for us the night we arrived and called for an airport limo for us. The room was very comfortable and clean. The breakfast buffet (which is included) was great in the morning - scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, french toast (only complaint here is that there was no real maple syrup!), breads and pastries, fresh fruit, etc. The hotel is a very easy walk from lots of great restaurants (like Richmond Station) and attractions (Eaton Centre, Nathan Philips Sq., etc) downtown. There are also streetcar stops less than a block away that can get you to other parts of the city if you don't want to walk (or if like us you visit when it is -11 degrees Fahrenheit out).
I noticed some other reviews that the hotel was in a "sketchy area" - and not being from Toronto I took a chance and was somewhat unsure of what to expect. The hotel is on the edge of the touristy-downtown area - basically anywhere you want to go will be to the West (we were also told be a local friend to avoid wandering to the East). The area immediately surrounding the hotel isn't the most picturesque part of the city (there is a Salvation Army across the street and a few discount parking lots) BUT it feels very safe even walking at night and, as mentioned above, is an easy walk to downtown attractions such as St. Lawrence Market, Hockey Hall of Fame, Eaton Centre, Yonge Street, etc. The hotel does also offer a free shuttle - I can't comment on it since my boyfriend and I opted to walk and take the street cars to see more of the city during our stay. I also can't comment on the rooftop hot tub - although we heard it was lovely - it was just too cold during our stay that the idea of venturing outside in swimwear, even for a second, was unappealing. If you are looking for a downtown Toronto hotel, and want a better value than some of the +350 a night options, I recommend staying at the Grand.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Laura19456

Dear Laura B,

It was such a pleasure welcoming you and your boyfriend to the hotel and thank you for allowing us to be apart of your travels into Toronto ! We're so pleased that you had the opportunity to explore our diverse city as well as enjoying the amenities that the hotel offers !

Laura B, we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel very soon !