“High Expectations Devalued”

Grand Hotel & Suites
Ranked #27 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I am writing my review a little more than 3 months after our stay but figured it was better late than never. I had very high expectations for The Grand based on the positive reviews I read prior to booking; these expectations had diminished before I completed my stay here.
I had booked a room through Expedia for the night of January 18th. When I arrived, I went up to the room to find I received a Queen size bed room as opposed to the King size bed. I knew there was a chance I would be getting either but simply figured we would be put in a King size bed room if there was one available. The room I was originally given didn't even appear to have a clean bathroom either, with hair all over the floor and in the shower. I had called down to the front desk asking to be switched to a King size room, which seemed to not be an issue. Upon arriving back in the lobby I was told it would be 10 minutes to figure out a room switch, so I waited in the lobby. After about 20 minutes and not seeing anyone checking in, which would've been more understandable, I returned to the desk to ask the young woman if it would take much longer as we had dinner reservations. She did not seem very pleased that I was asking and then suddenly passed me room keys. I was confused that if she had already found a room why I had been still sitting there waiting 20 minutes later. Once I got up to the different room, I found out the toilet was continuously running; there was a problem with the flusher and it had to be jiggled around after each use in order for the toilet tank to fill back up. At this point I was just thankful to be in the room with the larger bed that I just left that issue. I wanted to write and express these things as I expect more from a hotel that normally has such high standards, especially when you are paying that amount to stay.

I hope that other people do not have to go through the experience I did at The Grand. Not impressed.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Natalie R
Write a ReviewReviews (2,056)

Reviewed 1 May 2014

I chose this hotel based upon Trip Advisor recommendations and I am delighted to say that Grand Hotel meets these standards. Very friendly and helpful staff who went out of their way to change our room when the first one had the sofa at an uncomfortable angle for TV viewing. The rooms are spotlessly clean and I like the fact that they are not carpeted as this means less dust for allergy sufferers. Excellent location as you are just a 6 minute walk to the Eaton Centre and subway is very close too. The refrigerator,sink, microwave and coffee maker are very useful for a snack. Full breakfast is also appreciated although the seating of couples right next to each other needs to be re thought out. But overall, an excellent hotel to explore Toronto.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Australian57
Greg E, Manager at Grand Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Australian 57,

Thank you for your wonderful review of The Grand Hotel. We are happy to hear we were able to make your stay much more comfortable for you after changing rooms, we strive to give the best service possible. We hope that you were able to try out the hotel amenities such as the roof top terrace and jacuzzi, as well as the indoor salt water pool during your stay. We hope you will come back to visit us again!

Reviewed 28 April 2014

The best hotel I have ever stayed in!!! Very clean, spacious, modern room. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Buffet breakfast was delicious. Rooftop terrace with Jacuzzi tubs were a great way to relax after a day in the city.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Greg E, Manager at Grand Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Paula K,

Thank you for your glowing review! We are happy to hear that you think our hotel is the best you have ever stayed in! I will pass on your lovely comments to the staff, who work hard to make every guest’s stay that much more enjoyable. Hope you enjoyed that view on the roof top as well!
Hope to see you again in the near future!

Warmly,

Reviewed 28 April 2014

How fabulous that there is no carpeting in the room. Terrific room with comfortable bed. Good amenities. Very clean. One small change I would like to see is better quality of coffee in the room and include herbal tea in the selection. Both valet and self parking are convenient. Shuttle helpful to get to places in. The financial district.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Adrienne D,

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you liked your room (without carpeting!). I will pass along your comments regarding expanding the in-room coffee and tea selections. Additionally, it is good to hear that you were able to use our complimentary downtown shuttle to get to locations that you needed to be—a perk that many of our guests are pleasantly surprised to hear about. We hope that you will come stay again with us in the future!

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Great place to stay in Toronto that is close to downtown attractions.
This is within walking distance of Yonge and Dundas square for folks wishing to shop at the Eaton Centre.

Fabulous rooftop jacuzzi and an excellent breakfast buffet.

Very charming and relaxing patio space.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

Dear MissHappyGirl,

Thank you for your review of The Grand Hotel. We pride ourselves on providing excellent amenities to our guests including the roof top Jacuzzis and patio space. A lot of guests enjoy the complimentary breakfast buffet and you are no exception! We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed two days for business. The staff is wonderful and very accommodating with ensuring we had every question and need satisfied. The staff was five stars to be honest.

The gym with sauna was as perfect as you will find for a hotel gym. Not overwhelming but everything you need from dumbbells to tread mills to several bikes and machines. Furthermore, had balls to do crunches, etc and a bosu ball with several medicine balls. The gym was five stars.

The room was terrific as well with a small bathroom with everything you need as well as a small sitting area as you enter room to watch tv, relax or read and the refrigerator and coffee pot, small dining area was nice with hardwood floors that gave it an extremely clean feel. The bed was perfect and firm. However, the pillows were all same size and not good for me as my neck had a little issues each morning. My colleagues (2 others) loved the pillows so strictly saying it did not work for me and I would propose that the Grand do two sets of different size pillows since they had four on bed anyway. Four stars for the room.

The breakfast is free and comes with the stay. It is the same but very good and a lot of different options so if only there for three days, you could have different combos. Also, the fresh fruit was awesome! Breakfast four stars.

The bar was nice and love the seating on sofas, very comfy with good company. Only issues was could not see the two TVs from all angles and it is playoff time. Bar four stars.

All in all, Enjoy The Grand Hotel and Suites! Will definitely stay there again as it is a great value!

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Bandit2118

Dear Bandit2118,

Thank you for your glowing review of your stay with us. It is nice to hear that you were able to use all of the hotel amenities! Next time, ask for the smaller pillows any time throughout your stay, our staff will be more than happy to provide you with smaller ones. We look forward to having you back in the near future!

Reviewed 24 April 2014

I can definitely recommend The Grand Hotel and Suites to those families visiting Toronto who are looking for an hotel alternative. Here you will find the perks of a hotel with the comforts of home. We stayed in the ambassador suite and it was very spacious with plenty of light.

We got two cribs with no hesitation and our two year old and 5 month old has a lovely time. There are steps leading to a loft style bedroom upstairs so if steps are worrisome you may want to mention that when booking your room.

LOVED the rooftop hot tub that's open all year round - go for a dip when it's snowing! Brought the stroller for dinner with no issues but would have been difficult during the busy breakfast session.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear YasHKinZ,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your stay with us. We do our best to provide the comfort of home with our amenities as well as the complimentary cribs. We are happy to hear that your family had such a good time with us and that you were able to use the facilities. Hopefully we can welcome you back in the near future!

Regards,