“Fits like a Glove”

Ranked #22 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Velez-Malaga, Spain
“Fits like a Glove”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

When you look at the Grand from across the road it looks like a modern hotel. It is only when you enter that you sense the old world charm of this delightful hotel. It has had better days but it still projects an elegance that is often lost in more modern hotels. From the Commissionaire meeting us from the taxi right through all the staff, everyone seems delighted to help you. Our room was a reasonable size and the bed was a king size and firm but comfortable. It was clean and had tea and coffee making facilities . The restaurant was first class for our evening meals and had an excellent breakfast selection. So all in all a good hotel that I would recommend. The swimming pool is the height of elegance and the hot tubs on the roof are fabulous with great views. The only drawback is the location. The area seems a bit run down although we did not witness any problems in this regard.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank fredcheckley
Dear Fredcheckley,

Thank you for your honest review of your stay. We appreciate your well rounded review--it definitely looks like you were able to use all of the hotel’s amenities and enjoyed yourself! It is also great to hear that you enjoyed the restaurant and morning buffet, always a highlight for our guests. In the future, we hope that you will come back and stay with us!

Greg

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (359)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Kingston, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I am writing my review a little more than 3 months after our stay but figured it was better late than never. I had very high expectations for The Grand based on the positive reviews I read prior to booking; these expectations had diminished before I completed my stay here.
I had booked a room through Expedia for the night of January 18th. When I arrived, I went up to the room to find I received a Queen size bed room as opposed to the King size bed. I knew there was a chance I would be getting either but simply figured we would be put in a King size bed room if there was one available. The room I was originally given didn't even appear to have a clean bathroom either, with hair all over the floor and in the shower. I had called down to the front desk asking to be switched to a King size room, which seemed to not be an issue. Upon arriving back in the lobby I was told it would be 10 minutes to figure out a room switch, so I waited in the lobby. After about 20 minutes and not seeing anyone checking in, which would've been more understandable, I returned to the desk to ask the young woman if it would take much longer as we had dinner reservations. She did not seem very pleased that I was asking and then suddenly passed me room keys. I was confused that if she had already found a room why I had been still sitting there waiting 20 minutes later. Once I got up to the different room, I found out the toilet was continuously running; there was a problem with the flusher and it had to be jiggled around after each use in order for the toilet tank to fill back up. At this point I was just thankful to be in the room with the larger bed that I just left that issue. I wanted to write and express these things as I expect more from a hotel that normally has such high standards, especially when you are paying that amount to stay.

I hope that other people do not have to go through the experience I did at The Grand. Not impressed.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Natalie R
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

I chose this hotel based upon Trip Advisor recommendations and I am delighted to say that Grand Hotel meets these standards. Very friendly and helpful staff who went out of their way to change our room when the first one had the sofa at an uncomfortable angle for TV viewing. The rooms are spotlessly clean and I like the fact that they are not carpeted as this means less dust for allergy sufferers. Excellent location as you are just a 6 minute walk to the Eaton Centre and subway is very close too. The refrigerator,sink, microwave and coffee maker are very useful for a snack. Full breakfast is also appreciated although the seating of couples right next to each other needs to be re thought out. But overall, an excellent hotel to explore Toronto.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Australian57
Dear Australian 57,

Thank you for your wonderful review of The Grand Hotel. We are happy to hear we were able to make your stay much more comfortable for you after changing rooms, we strive to give the best service possible. We hope that you were able to try out the hotel amenities such as the roof top terrace and jacuzzi, as well as the indoor salt water pool during your stay. We hope you will come back to visit us again!

Toledo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

The best hotel I have ever stayed in!!! Very clean, spacious, modern room. Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. Buffet breakfast was delicious. Rooftop terrace with Jacuzzi tubs were a great way to relax after a day in the city.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Paula K,

Thank you for your glowing review! We are happy to hear that you think our hotel is the best you have ever stayed in! I will pass on your lovely comments to the staff, who work hard to make every guest’s stay that much more enjoyable. Hope you enjoyed that view on the roof top as well!
Hope to see you again in the near future!

Warmly,

Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2014

How fabulous that there is no carpeting in the room. Terrific room with comfortable bed. Good amenities. Very clean. One small change I would like to see is better quality of coffee in the room and include herbal tea in the selection. Both valet and self parking are convenient. Shuttle helpful to get to places in. The financial district.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Adrienne D,

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay with us and that you liked your room (without carpeting!). I will pass along your comments regarding expanding the in-room coffee and tea selections. Additionally, it is good to hear that you were able to use our complimentary downtown shuttle to get to locations that you needed to be—a perk that many of our guests are pleasantly surprised to hear about. We hope that you will come stay again with us in the future!

Oshawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2014

Great place to stay in Toronto that is close to downtown attractions.
This is within walking distance of Yonge and Dundas square for folks wishing to shop at the Eaton Centre.

Fabulous rooftop jacuzzi and an excellent breakfast buffet.

Very charming and relaxing patio space.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
Dear MissHappyGirl,

Thank you for your review of The Grand Hotel. We pride ourselves on providing excellent amenities to our guests including the roof top Jacuzzis and patio space. A lot of guests enjoy the complimentary breakfast buffet and you are no exception! We hope to welcome you back in the near future!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed two days for business. The staff is wonderful and very accommodating with ensuring we had every question and need satisfied. The staff was five stars to be honest.

The gym with sauna was as perfect as you will find for a hotel gym. Not overwhelming but everything you need from dumbbells to tread mills to several bikes and machines. Furthermore, had balls to do crunches, etc and a bosu ball with several medicine balls. The gym was five stars.

The room was terrific as well with a small bathroom with everything you need as well as a small sitting area as you enter room to watch tv, relax or read and the refrigerator and coffee pot, small dining area was nice with hardwood floors that gave it an extremely clean feel. The bed was perfect and firm. However, the pillows were all same size and not good for me as my neck had a little issues each morning. My colleagues (2 others) loved the pillows so strictly saying it did not work for me and I would propose that the Grand do two sets of different size pillows since they had four on bed anyway. Four stars for the room.

The breakfast is free and comes with the stay. It is the same but very good and a lot of different options so if only there for three days, you could have different combos. Also, the fresh fruit was awesome! Breakfast four stars.

The bar was nice and love the seating on sofas, very comfy with good company. Only issues was could not see the two TVs from all angles and it is playoff time. Bar four stars.

All in all, Enjoy The Grand Hotel and Suites! Will definitely stay there again as it is a great value!

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Bandit2118
Dear Bandit2118,

Thank you for your glowing review of your stay with us. It is nice to hear that you were able to use all of the hotel amenities! Next time, ask for the smaller pillows any time throughout your stay, our staff will be more than happy to provide you with smaller ones. We look forward to having you back in the near future!