“I LOVE the Grand Hotel!”

Grand Hotel & Suites
Ranked #28 of 135 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

I stay here every time I come to Toronto (about 4 weeks of the year). The rooftop is AWESOME. They have 2 hot tubs and a giant drive-in like screen to watch as you soak + great view of Toronto. Restaurant is high-quality food and they have a ton of food to choose from in their complimentary breakfast. Gym is great, lots of equipment. Pool is absolutely beautiful. Bed is super comfy (although the pillows could be softer). Some things about the hotel are dated, but the things that matter are exceptional. :)

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank MrMoustachio
Greg E, Manager at Grand Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Dear Mrmustaschio,

Thank you for your review of your most recent stay. We are glad to hear that you have made The Grand your home away from home and stay with us when you come to Toronto. We are also happy to hear you use all of the amenities to the fullest extent. We hope to welcome you back warmly soon!

Greg

Write a ReviewReviews (2,098)

Reviewed 18 June 2014

This was a wonderful hotel located within walking distance to Dundas Square. The pool and hot tubs were great and never too crowded. The room was very well appointed and comfortable. Breakfast was very good with hot and cold choices . We were able to use the complimentary shuttle with a very pleasant driver. You can't beat the service here.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Cruiselady77,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us. We are happy to hear you were able to use the pool and hot tubs and that they were to your liking. The complimentary breakfast buffet is often a highlight of guests who stay here and you are no exception. We hope in the future we can welcome you back warmly.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed 2 nights (June 8 & 9,2014) and was not disappointed. Lovely clean room with 2 double beds , sitting area with 2 chairs, small kitchenette area with fridge and microwave and no carpets on the floor....great for people with allergies.
Front desk staff and business center staff were very helpful and friendly, from check-in to check-out. Attended work related meetings at the hotel and the catered lunch meals were very healthy and tasty. Large buffet breakfast with lots of hot and cold choices. Wait staff very efficient, attentive and courteous. Coffee cup got filled quickly and the dishes were removed promptly post meal. Beautiful outside, sheltered patio also located directly off the restaurant. was also a lovely spot to enjoy a meal. Hotel located a short 5-10 min walk to the Eatons Centre and many nearby restaurants.

The rooftop patio and 2 hot tubs are fantastic. Best to go up at dusk/dark and enjoy a 360 view of the Toronto skyline at night !

Room Tip: Ask for room on a higher level and facing Lake Ontario.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Happybluenoser

Dear Happybluenoser,

Thank you for your review of the hotel and your recent stay with us. The staff is happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay due to their friendliness. We are also glad to hear that you were able to use the hotel’s amenities. We hope the future we can welcome you back warmly.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

It's really about service, and the Grand Hotel has friendly, helpful service everywhere you turn. They obviously value each customer and want to give them a positive experience. Apart from that, the rooms are beautiful, clean and well-equipped and the bed/pillows so comfortable that we overslept and nearly missed breakfast. Best complimentary breakfast buffet we have had at any hotel - from eggs, bacon and sausage to yogurt, cereal and fresh fruit. Rooftop hot tub was a unique and fun experience for us. Great views. Massey Hall (where we attended a concert), Eaton's Centre and Yonge Street are 10 minutes or less away. We also walked easily to the St. Lawrence Market and Distillery areas. Reasonable price for controlled entrance parking.

Room Tip: Rooms on higher floors facing south give good view of downtown and the lake.
2  Thank CaroStev

Dear CaroStev,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed the rooms and beds as well as the complimentary breakfast buffet that we offer all guests. We hope that in the future we can welcome you back warmly to the hotel.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

This hotel far exceeded my expectations. The staff was friendly and the facilities were very nice. When I arrived the doorman had my luggage out of the cab before I was done paying the driver. Check in was quick and smooth and came with an added bonus of an upgrade to a larger room. The room was great and always clean, they even did the dishes while I was out. The rest of the facilities were spot on, the roof top hot tub overlooking the city skyline was well worth it. The music videos playing on the huge screen at night were a nice touch, and were visible from the street while I was on a walking tour one night.

For those that thought the neighborhood was not the best, I had no problem whatsoever and I walked around the area most days. Some of the smaller take out places that seem to cater towards the nearby college were great to have in the area to bring food back to the hotel. I did not run into any problems with the nearby Salvation Army offices (the actual shelter was several blocks away). I had no problem either walking in the area or taking the street car which stopped at the end of the block. The hotel was not that close to most of the attractions we visited but that was also a plus as it gave us somewhere out of the way to return to and relax. Transit was easy to use and cabs were easy to get.

One of the only two negatives I could think of was that the Wi-Fi in the room was slow and weak. I had trouble connecting on my phone and would loose the connection if I moved the device. My laptop stayed connected but the connection was usually at 2 out of 5 bars and always seemed to lag. That could have been due to the number of users. I did use the computers in the business center a couple of times and found that they worked much better for internet use. The business center was small but not crowded the 2 times I was there and very nice with modern equipment. The Wi-Fi is not a major concern for me as I was not using it for much while on vacation.

The other minor thing that I didn't like was that the staff at the buffet were very quick to solicit tips for a relatively small amount of work. The host or hostess brought us to our table, then we got up for our food. Eventually someone would come by to check on if we wanted coffee or tea. Getting a pot of hot water for tea was usually quick, although we never got anyone checking to see if we needed more. Just the same person coming by to bus the dishes. Yet we always got a strange bill that showed what the cost would be if the buffet was not included with he room, and then a space to write in a tip.

The one time I had a problem with noisy neighbors the hotel was very quick to respond and have them quiet down. Even the security staff who had to close down the hot tub late at night were friendly. Overall the hotel was indeed grand, from a great room to mostly great staff. I would definitely stay there again if I find myself in Toronto.

Room Tip: The higher floors have better views but the lower floors have the larger rooms.
1  Thank BFD182

Dear BFD182,

Thank you for your glowing review of the hotel. We always appreciate outstanding reviews of the hotel and our guests’ experiences. We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and the amenities the hotel offers. We hope that in the future, you will come stay with us again and we can welcome you back warmly.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

We have just stayed for a week, while partner met with transatlantic colleagues and I loafed about. We arrived late in the day and our initial impressions were cool because the décor seemed rather 70s, all beige and brown, and there was no bedside table on my side of the bed. We got very used to the neutral tones of the carpets and furnishings and that complaint about no bedside cabinet was absolutely the only thing I was even a little bit unhappy about. We were intrigued to learn from friends in Toronto that this used to be the RCMP HQ. To us Brits, that added some glamour.
I would particularly like to commend the staff, both the cheery maids and the front of house staff in the bar and on reception. One particular woman on the reception desk was terrifically helpful with all kinds of arrangements and bookings. We ate very well throughout our stay thanks to her. Even the chaps on the door were smiling and helpful with taxis and so forth.
We had a great time and I would recommend the Grand highly. And I haven't even mentioned the smashing hot tubs on the roof or the swimming pool with balcony in the basement, or the complimentary wifi throughout the building.

Room Tip: We had a room on the 18th (top floor) that commanded terrific views over the town. If we'd had a...
2  Thank David G
Greg E, Manager at Grand Hotel & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Dglambeth,

Thank you for your wonderful review of the hotel and your recent stay with us. Our staff go out of their way to make every guest’s trip memorable while in Toronto with the appropriate suggestions made with a smile. The history of the building definitely makes heads turn as the old RCMP headquarters. We hope that the next time you take a transatlantic trip to Toronto, you will stay with us and further enjoy all of the amenities the hotel offers.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Thanks again to Tripadvisor and reviews, My husband stayed here June 4-9th 2014. We were not disappointed. We were even upgraded to a suite on the 2nd floor, with living room ,kitchenette, fridge,, 2 big screen TVS, nice size bedroom and office. Nice sized bathroom with toiletries . And a small deck with table and 2 chairs but it overlooks the parking lot (FYI the deck has a drain that sticks out, they should change it to a more flat kind). The rooftop hot tubs with skyline view and 80's music videos playing was a nice touch.
Only negative I can say the wireless internet connection is awful. An old AOL modem, is faster than the wireless connection.
The breakfast buffet had a nice selection for everyone's tastes. WE were treated really well, top notch staff overall (except one surly waiter at breakfast got annoyed I asked for a pot of tea-not sure what his issue was)
From being social in the hot tub, this hotel is well loved by locals as well I met people who had weddings, graduations, stays here for quick getaway, even a couple who was doing a blue jays game. Watching the sunset on the roof, so worth it. . I would stay here again..

Room Tip: 2nd and 3rd floors are suites. FYI: When going to rooftop hot tub they are very strict on no smo...
2  Thank ErisShaw

Dear ErisShaw,

Thank you for your glowing review of the hotel and your recent stay with us. We are happy that we could make your stay more memorable by upgrading you to one of our larger two bedroom suites. The roof top hot tubs and terrace are one amenity that guests enjoy during the summer months when everyone can enjoy the atmosphere, good weather, and great company of other guests. We hope that in the future you will come back to stay with us—your TripAdvisor review will definitely help others choose our hotel!