“Excellent value, a very good mid-range hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Hotel Toronto

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Grand Hotel Toronto
Ranked #23 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Cheltenham
“Excellent value, a very good mid-range hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2009

I stayed at the Grand as a "get away from home for a night" trip over the public holiday weekend. I'd been forced to cancel a trip to Mexico due to the H1N1 flu outbreak so I thought I deserved to spoil myself a little. Despite it's name The Grand is a mid-range hotel - admittedly a good one. It's not in the greatest neighbourhood (it's a safe, but not particularly upmarket district) but it's only a few minutes from the city centre by cab. The bedroom was smart and well-equipped with a very nice south-facing view. The staff were efficient and well-presented, and check-in was super-smooth (I booked via Expedia rather than direct with the hotel, and occasionally that can complicate matters). The underground pool and hot tub was elegant and relaxing. Room service was efficient, the food was decent and the price was reasonable. The rooftop terrace was a little chilly in May, but it's worth a trip up there to enjoy the twilight view of the Toronto skyline even if you don't make use of the hot tubs and video screen. The bed was softer than I'm used to but I slept fantastically. The included breakfast buffet was on a par with the buffets I'm used to at various Hilton Garden Inns I've stayed in recently, so no complaints there. Overall, I thought it was great value and I'm thoroughly glad I picked The Grand.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MattC1976

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Minden, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2009

What an incredible place to say. Very luxurious. The most beautiful hotel I have ever stayed in. The staff were amazing, friendly, helpful. It was conveniently located with walking distance to shopping, restaurants, coffee shops. The roof top terrace with hot tubs was fantastic and the indoor pool area is beautiful with columns and murals. The rooms were beatiful with granite top kitchette, hardwood floor, sitting area, 2 flat screen tvs. Rooms were spacious, elegant and comfortable. Will definately stay there again.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2009

The hotel itself is quite nice - they could be more accommodating, and some of the front office staff could be more helpful, due to lack of ability rather than lack of being friendly.
My biggest issue wit this hotel - and it's a big one - is that 2 years later, I have been charged again for the room. Almost one month has passed and they keep promising to pay back the charge but I am still waiting. I stayed and paid in October 2007. In February of 2009, using a different credit card, and while I was in another country, they withdrew another room charge! I have been in contact with the hotel on numerous occasions, and while they assure me they will refund, I am still waiting.
So, despite the pleasant surroundings the hotel offers, I will never stay there and would never recommend it, due to their shady business practices- no hotel room is worth paying twice for!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
Buffalo, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2009

This was our 3rd stay at The Grand. The rooftop jacuzzi is a treat & offers a great view of the city. Some might find the traditional decor at bit dated, however the hotel is well maintained. The Eaton Centre is a short walk away. We have stayed in several similar downtown hotels & The Grand easily remains our favorite.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
rural ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2009

Some girlfriends and I chose the Grand Hotel for a bachelorette weekend. The rooms were a good size for a good rate (approx. $140/night) and we found the staff to be friendly and rooms to be clean. We didn't use the pool, but the hot tubs on the roof were a lot of fun with a great view. Overall a good experience, the only issue we had was that the Grand charges $50 per guest per night over 2 people in a room. We requested 2 beds to a room since there would be 8 of us that would put 4 in a room, hardly a strain on the room, certainly not worth an extra $100/night/room and a queen size bed is built to sleep two right?? so of course we just did the- say we have 2 but actually have 4- thing and it worked out fine. We had to sign a 'No Party Policy' with our ID's copied down and everything. We are all in our late 20s so this seemed a little bit juvenile, but like I said we all had a great time and I would recommend this hotel to a friend.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2009

Hotel was great, rooms were good size, staff was helpful. Best part was the hot tub on the roof with the amazing view of the skyline, especially at night. They play movies on the big screen there as well (we were with a mixed age group, wish they could of had something more appropriate playing on the screen). Indoor pool area was clean and very comfortable, plenty of towels, make sure you check out the sauna in the changing rooms, fantastic place to relax.
Breakfast in hotel resurant was plentiful and staffed with attentive servers. Shuttle service was offered to local attractions although you can walk to many good attractions from here as well. We would stay here again without question.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2009

As a group of 10 girls looking to have a great time for an impending wedding, the Grand Hotel was the perfect location. We were pleasantly surprised with how big and open the rooms were. The floor to ceiling windows gave a great view and made the rooms feel so spacious! The small kitchen area was a great addition and the fridge was the biggest I've seen outside of a suite.

The bathroom was nothing too exciting and had the strangest doors I've seen, but did the job. We were pleased that it was such a short walk to dinner. We ate at Fran's diner on Victoria. Would highly recommend it for an affordable dinner with great portions and fruity drinks! We loved it so much we had breakfast the next morning there!

The rooftop hottubs were incredible! We really loved sitting up on the roof while the sun was setting. The large screen playing movies was a fun addition. We also couldn't believe how well kept the tubs were considering they were on a roof. I called my husband right away to tell him where we'd be for our anniversary!

Overall, we had a great stay. I never once opened the front doors on my own - a doorman was always there. The elevators were quick, and the hotel was quiet. Will definitely, 100% stay here again!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends