“Awful service and dirty hotel. We will not be back!”

Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Ranked #61 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Came here with my family for a 4 day vacation. Hotel put us in the wrong room. No apologies for their error. Room was dirty and run down. The room had an adjoining room and the tenants of that room just walked into ours!! The doors were not even locked!! Guest Services did not seem too concerned. They just sent someone up to lock the door. Acted as if it happens all the time. This hotel is simply worn out. It needs a major face lift. Games room has dated games and pool needs major updating. The only thing going for it is its location.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
RosaDeltaChelsea, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2011

Dear Valued Guest

I apologize for the disappointment you felt during your stay, and would like to reassure you this does not reflect the standards held by us, and that your concerns have been taken seriously. Thank you reviewing us, we hope we have another opportunity at showcasing the service we are known for.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

We stayed for 2 nights during a holiday weekend. I feared the worst since it was a busy holiday weekend and I was the only adult in our party with 4 young children (8,7,5, and 2 year old) and my 18 year old nephew.

ROOM DESCRIPTION: We had a 1-bedroom suite with kitchen. The kitchen had 4 burners but no oven, full fridge, double sink, and tons of empty cabinetry. We used the kitchen only to store restaurant leftovers and wash sippy cups. The decor is a flashback to the 70's but the room was clean.

LOCATION: Perfect. Short 3 block walk to Eatons and downtown core.

FOOD: Hotel food is pretty standard fare. There are many options to eat close to the hotel but be warned... nobody delivers to the hotel! You will need to step out of the hotel. Weird.

WATERPARK: Super fun for the kids. It consists of 1-large slide and basic swimming pool, no bells or whistles. ALL the kids had a blast. It is not a zero entry pool. Depth is around 4 feet (maybe?) all around. They have a large supply of lifejackets for the kids but you can't use them on the slide. The kids need to pass a swimming test that consists of doing 1 pool width without stopping in order to go on the slide. There are pool towels. There is a locker room close to the pool area to change and do your wash (washer/dryer). Bring a whole roll of quarters. I think it was either $1.50 or $2.00 per wash or dry. I can't remember.

OTHER: They also have an activity centre for the toddlers with stories, toys, painting, crafts, and videos. This room is GREAT even if to just hang out and relax as your toddler plays. It is free or drop-off for a fee. Your child must be potty-trained in order to be dropped off.

There is another activity centre for the older kids. Not very exciting, nobody was in there.

SERVICE: Given the holiday weekend and large tourist crowds, it was amazingly good. Check in and check out was a breeze. Remember to have your kids walk up the stairs. They will all receive a special welcome package with gift and activity. Very cute.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
RosaDeltaChelsea, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2011

Dear Valued Guest

I was pleased to hear you and your family had a great time with us during your staycation. We are proud to offer a family friendly environment and are glad we were able to provide that service for you. I am also happy to let you know we are continually upgraded our rooms, and are currently looking to renovate our two-bedroom family suites. I would like to thank you reviewing us, and for staying with us.

Reviewed 28 July 2011

I only stayed one night and chose the DC for the airport express bus stop right outside the door, and its downtown location. It has nothing else going for it in my view. For the same price it's possible to stay somewhere else much nicer downtown with more personal service. It's so busy, it's like a conveyor belt of people checking in and out at all hours. My room was clean enough, but really dated (particularly the carpet, which was very timeworn). You can get a reasonably-priced hot breakfast in the Market cafe, but it's also rather soulless.

Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for staying with us and for your honest feedback. As the largest hotel in Canada we do experience a volume of traffic in our common areas especially during peak periods. We are constantly looking for ways to reduce the levels of congestion. I am happy to let you know we have renovated all of our corridors and the guest rooms on the 4-9 floors, and are always upgrading and making improvements on our guest rooms. I am sorry we did not meet your expectations and have already sent your comments to our Rooms Davison to follow up on our areas of opportunity.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

This hotel is HUGE (there are multiple elevator banks that aren't even enar each other...) and not as fab as it appears online. The rooms are kind of old-feeling (but clean) except for those on the upper floors which have clearly been renovated recently. Oh, and speaking of the upper floors, you have to take the elevator down and back up (depending on where your room is in this monolith) and then walk up a flight of stairs to access the adults-only pool and the gym. The food court type eatery downstairs is expensive and set up poorly from a traffic-flow perspective, but the Bistro is quite good. Overall it is a fine hotel for pleasure, not so much for a business traveler.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you reviewing us. The color elevators were set up to minimize congestion, as the lower floors are reached by the red elevators, middle floors by the green, and blue elevators to the top floors. As there are 27 floors the elevator system in place reduces weight time for guests as well. We do our best to accommodate each of our guest requests, such as which elevator guests prefer as some prefer to be closer to the children’s centre, while others prefer to be closer to Deck 27.

I have sent your feedback to our Director of Food and Beverage as well as our Rooms Division to review.

Reviewed 27 July 2011

My family stayed here while my mother was in a nearby hospital and this hotel was perfect. Not only was it within walking distance of the hospital, but it was clean, quiet and comfortable. The restaurants provided decent value as far as hotel food goes. I would highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
RosaDeltaChelsea, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2011

Dear Valued Guest

We are proud to offer guests here for medical reasons a special Patient Stayover Rate, and are glad we could help in making such a stressful time a little easier. Thank you reviewing us.

Reviewed 26 July 2011

Normally when I travel for work or for personal vacations for the last 10 years I have always tried to stay at a Delta hotel. In fact in 2003 I stayed almost 4 months of the year in a Delta hotel.

I really like The Delta and in the past I have always been treated well.

Recently as mentioned above I took a trip to Toronto and stayed at the Delta Chelsea...Which I have done every year for the last almost 10 years.

I have to admit the concirege service at the Delta is second to none...Class act people and attitude...They will do anything to make your say more pleasant.

This time my room was located at the end of a long hall on the 8th floor facing another building with absolutely no views...The room was damp and a little musty...Not a room I would classify as a "Deluxe" room.

I don't normally have a lot of expectations when travelling...Ussually I don't get much time to sleep so any bed will do.

And even though this stay with the Delta ws only for 3 days and two nights...It really left me with a bad feeling for this hotel.

When I arrived there was food on the floor of the hallway...like chips and other finger foods....Not on a tray or anything actually on the carpet close to our door.

I noticed cleaning staff in the hall and left for the day only to return around midnight with the food still there.

The following morning 24hrs later the food was there and a foul smell in the hallway...Again I noticed cleaners going right by only this time rolling over it with there carts.

I left for the day (too busy to stop and complain) and once again that evening I returned late to see food on the floor.

When I checked out of the hotel on my third day the food was still there and this time I notified the check out clerk thaqt I was disappointed...I do not normally complain but this was not right....Food on the floor over 48hrs in a Luxury Hotel?

She really did not seem to care.

The following day I also wrote a letter to the Delta and informed them of this issue...Which after expliaining the details and photos that this was the worst experience with Delta and to be honest may be my last....Not sure I will return.

I have not had anyone follow-up in over a week and was simply told we will follow up with our cleaning Manager.

As someone who paid over $400 for two nights...I feel completely ripped off and let down.

This was the only time I had to get away this summer and this is all could think about my entire trip.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo

Dear Valued Guest

Thank you for taking the time to review us, and for your honest feedback. I am sorry to hear your recent stay with us did not meet your expectations, and can certainly understand your disappointment. I can assure you your concerns have been heard and the appropriate action had been taken.

Reviewed 26 July 2011

I was blown away big the size of the Delta and it was fun just wandering about and seeing how they coped with the level of guests. I was really well looked after and it cermented my feelings that the Canadians are wonderful people. A great location for getting around the city, the room and service was excellent and the breakfast's spot on. I'd highly recommend this hotel for anyone needing a bed in Toronto.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business

Dear Valued Guest

As the largest hotel in Canada with 1590 guest rooms we do our best to accommodate each of our guests with friendly and efficient service, it is such a pleasure to hear we were successful in doing so. Thank you reviewing us, and look forward to to welcome you back.