“Quite an experience in the Delta Chelsea Hotel !”

Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Ranked #59 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Bowmanville, Canada
“Quite an experience in the Delta Chelsea Hotel !”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2007

This is a very centrally located hotel & only a few blocks away from Eaton Centre.

The Toronto Express coach which can be picked up from Pearson Int aiport stops right outside the hotel - Gerrard Street which is a big plus for travelling to & from this hotel / airport.

I had read up on this hotel prior to my reservation but wasnt quite as prepared for the `busy' reception area and the revolving doors that never seemed to stop!. Their restaurant has ample choice for all tastes and the food is of a good standard and quality.

I had a corner guestroom which was very spaceous with a nice clean & airy bathroom. The conceirge & information desks were equally busy so be prepared for quite a bit of queuing when staying at this hotel, whether this is for checkin, information, conceirge, paying for breakfast/lunch/dinner etc

Overall though, this is a nice hotel with friendly helpful staff who were accommodating & helpful.

I would stay at this hotel again when I am next in Toronto as it is conveniently located for family.

The only recommendation that I do have for this hotel is to get `more staff' especially in the reception / check in area as the waiting time to get the keys for your room is unacceptable no matter what time you may be checking in!.

• Liked — My spaceous airy room
  • Disliked — The long `waiting' times to checkin / paying in the restaurant etc
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank Sammie4

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,120)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Caribbean
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2007

Very good value for a downtown hotel...room was comfortable, in good condition and clean. It is a busy hotel, has around 1500 rooms and even at midnight when I checked in there was lots of hustle and bustle. Located five minutes taxi ride away from Eaton Center - walkable but it was freezing! I booked the Toronto Airport Express, on line and the bus stops and picks up right outside the front door of the hotel - was $15.25 one way...a bargain considering a taxi is around CAD$55. It snowed quite heavily the night before and I left on the 6am bus which was at the hotel on time...stops at 4-5 other hotels en route to the airport but we got there on time too.
Would definitely stay there again...value for money.

• Liked — good value for money
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled with friends
Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2007

We stayed in the Delta Chelsea in Sept. We had a triple room booked. However when we arrived they tried to give us a smaller than average double room. After complaining to the receptionist we were given a large triple room. The rooms themselves are shabby but are clean and warm. Compared to a lot of American hotels in the 3-4 star bracket this hotel is average. We ate in the Market Garden most nights as it was good value and the food was well cooked, so I recommend to try it. If you intend on visiting Niagara Falls as a day trip, book the bus tour through the hotel. We went on the tour that started in the morning. Well worth the money but bring a spare pair of shoes and trousers if you intend to go on Maid of the Mist - we didn't and had soggy feet the whole way home. Location of the hotel is fantastic for Yonge Street and the Eaton Centre. Shopping is OK, its not bad value but the tax applied adds up to about 14%. The CN Tower is worth a trip and though it might be dear its well worth to have your lunch or dinner in the 360 restaurant. If you have a big appetite - try the beef!!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Rooms a bit dated
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
1 Thank mcampbell7
England
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2007

If this hotel has 4 stars then accommodation standards in Canada are lower than elsewhere!
Although clean enough our Delta Room was decidedly shabby & well past its use by date. The bath was cracked, the hand basin was chipped down to the (rusty!) enamel & the carpet was stained & worn. The walls were so thin that you need to hope that you don't get a neighbour who coughs in the night! Let alone one who opens & closes his balcony doors & drums his fingers on the headboard all night!!
The staff were decidedly disinterested, if not unhelpful, in particular where we'd booked a tour that wasn't with their preferred supplier- they must be on commission!
I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone vising Toronto. An over-priced rip-off!

• Stayed December 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk

Travellers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2007

We came to Toronto to see Dirty Dancing.... we stayed at the Delta due to its fab location. We walked in and the lobby was all decorated for X-mas - amazing! Staff were cordial, check in was quick. Room we had was a little small and cramped, a few foreign hairs on the bathroom floor. ICK! We had to call the lobby once as our coffee mugs had lipstick stains all over them from the last guest. We were treated to a nice buffet breakfast for that find. Beds were comfortable. I would ask for an upgrade for next time though.
Elevators were OK, this was a very busy time of year to be here. Pool was clean, hottub nice and looks out at the skyline, CN tower was right there!
There are 5 restaurants here and a look-out drink bar on the 27th floor that is worth a visit for a martini. No food served here however.
We stayed 2 nights and for sure would come back here to stay again!

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Room could have been cleaner
  • Stayed December 2007, travelled with friends
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2007

We stayed in August 2007 and would have to say that while there are some advantages to this hotel the overall experience was 'average'. Plus points: location was fine; free internet access downstairs; launderette in hotel; cheap self-service restaurant; staff were friendly. Minus points: our 5th floor room was dark and very 'tired' - I believe other rooms have already been refurbished - although it was a reasonable size; hotel has so many rooms that it sometimes felt you were being processed on a conveyor belt system; sometimes the lifts took ages. While I would not choose to stay here again, it would not be the end of the world if I had to.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Tired room
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
Barrie, Ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2007

I wish I could write a review of the hotel, but seeing as how they cancelled my reservation before I could even step foot into the lobby, I can't. I had made a reservation for a trip to celebrate my husband's birthday (concert and a hotel downtown Toronto) for September '05. I booked the room three months in advance. Two days before we were to check in, someone from the Delta Chelsea called me to inform me that they were overbooked and would have to cancel my reservation. Uhhh what?! I work in hotels, I know how it works. I know that hotels overbook (mine doesn't, we feel it's a shady business to do that), but I also know the proper way of handling such overbooking. I would have much rather have preferred to get "walked" at check-in, meaning the hotel would find suitable accommodations for me at THEIR cost. No, instead I was left to fend for myself. Do you know how difficult it is to find a hotel room in the city of Toronto on a weekend where the entire city is apparently sold out? I did eventually find a room somewhere else and had a great time, but I am thoroughly unimpressed with the Delta Chelsea. Oh yeah and a friend of mine from Victoria booked at Delta Whistler and her reservation was also cancelled prior to her trip.

Stayed September 2005