“Lost in the shuffle”

Ranked #61 of 134 Hotels in Toronto
Dublin, Ireland
“Lost in the shuffle”
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I booked this hotel back in May, when it was still the Delta Chelsea, but my stay was after the name change.

Right in the centre of Toronto, the Chelsea has entrances on 4 separate streets, which means it practically has a block to itself. My taxi dropped me at the Gerrard St entrance and I made my way to Reception, where a pleasant young woman checked my reservation.

She asked me to spell my surname, then tapped away at her keyboard.

Next, she asked if the reservation could have been made under another name. I assured her that this was not the case.

"I can't seem to find your reservation on my system," she said, apologetically.

"Well, you've already got my money, so it has to be in there somewhere," I joked, handing over my paperwork from eBookers. I don't know whether it was the joke or the eBookers reservation, but her demeanour seemed to change; but after making a couple of phone calls and checking with somebody named Gino, I got a key to a room on the 18th floor (1851, in case anyone's interested) and directions to the elevators.

The room was clean, comfortable and, in line with every hotel room I've ever stayed in, totally unlike the photograph on the website. At the rear of the building, there wasn't much to see from the window, but it was clear that the exterior badly needed a facelift.

The balcony, which was inaccessible from the room and may have been a fire escape route, had a rusted railing from which paint was peeling in places, and an item of ladies' clothing that appeared to have been there for some time (and for all I know, still is).

That aside, there was little to fault with the interior, and the staff were professional and helpful in all things.

A good breakfast can be had, buffet-style, on the ground floor (I recommend the pancakes), and the Monarch's Pub boasts a more than decent food menu and is not to be missed. The bartender during my stay, a lady by the name of Linda, keeps a good bar and taught me how to pronounce "Okanagan Springs" which I got wrong on my first couple of attempts.

It's a good place for a relaxing beer after a day's sightseeing or watching your baseball team lose.

So, would I go back?

Since this was my first trip to Toronto (hopefully the first of many), I wouldn't discount the idea; the hotel is centrally-located and no more than 5 minutes' walk from Yonge-Dundas Square and the Eaton Centre.

And while I do think the hotel needs to be a little more, ah, accurate in the depiction of their rooms (and the hotel exterior), the reality wouldn't necessarily prevent my returning...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SoloBob
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this review, 18 November 2013
Dear Solobob,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay. I apologize for the initial hiccup with your reservation and the delay in check-in. I am pleased that once that was sorted you were on your way to an enjoyable stay. We have recently begun a large balcony restoration project which we are excited to have completed. I am also glad you were able to experience the restaurants in the hotel, including the newly renovated Market Garden and T|Bar. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back in the future.

Eaton Chelsea Toronto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
sudbury
Reviewed 8 November 2013

Hello I booked this hotel through priceline showed 31/2 star and $135 Thurs nite
looked beautiful on line wasn't sure which hotel it would be.

I had stayed at the Chelsea another time in TO and had vowed never to stay again, to my disappointment, priceline $135 picked this hotel... pictures on line looked amazing so I figured maybe they renovated....

how deceiving....when checking in told front desk last time I came here, I was extremely disappointed with the room it was in their old section and mentioned I would not be coming back if given the same type of room, she assured us the room was nice, flat out lie....we will not be coming back ever to this hotel....l

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank happysanman

Travellers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed 6 November 2013

If you're heading to downtown Toronto, you can't go wrong here. Close to shopping, and several restaurants nearby. The lobby area is comfortable, with seating and a cafe, and very helpful staff. We stayed in a Club room, which offers a private room for breakfast and evening snacks on the 25 th floor. The room itself was in need of an upgrade, although the bed was comfortable. Outdated and a tired. The bathroom was very basic and also needs updating. Hopefully a cleanup in in the works

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
Dear Danymed,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your most recent stay. We are so pleased that we are your go to hotel when visiting Toronto and take advantage of our fantastic location! Renovation are in the works and are continuing throughout the hotel. We have most recently completed the lobby level and meeting floors. Hope to welcome you back again soon!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 6 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here one night so he could attend a very early hospital appointment. We received a special rate for this, plus half price parking - very nice. Room was spacious, reasonably modern, bed spotless and very comfortable. I liked that I could step out on to the balcony, although clearly renovations are in progress and needed. Furniture looked slightly worn but not excessively so. Lobby quite lovely, check in easy, staff friendly. The underground garage is a nightmare, and not even up to City of Toronto code. Limited lighting, filthy fire-retardant material on the low ceiling, miniscule parking spaces and VERY limited turning room. Poor signage to find elevators and exits. Much more work needed here.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Madeleine C,

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. I can assure you that all of our facilities have passed inspection and are monitored. I have passed your feedback to our management team for review. I hope that we may welcome you back again soon.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 5 November 2013

I stayed here at the Eaton Chelsea on sat Nov 2. I payed 139.99 plus tax and 39$ a day to park unlimited inn's and outs.
PROS: The hotel check in was great, done quickly, checked in at about 12pm. Front service was okay, nothing over the top. Parking was a little awkward, but I did not move my car out the whole time I was there. The lobby was nice, modern, filled with all kinds of people witch was nice. The Lobby has access to all different streets Gerard and Young out of the 1 main lobby. I seen restaurants and people but there but did not try for myself. Everything in the main lobby was clean and well kept. THE LOCATION was amazing really close to Eaton center and subways, 10$ cab ride to night life.
CONS: EXTREMELY SMALL ROOMS! ( like car barely bring a large suit case in, only 1 chair to sit on, not much room to walk around) I was on the 9th floor room 943 in the "red" section, and my room had a queen size bed, a small dresser a flat screen and a TINY bathroom that 2 ppl could barely fit it. The beds were comfy on the plus side BUT the heating sucked, my window was wide open and it was 2 degree's out, so it was feezing, the walls were thin and I could hear everything and my room has no balcony. Personally I did not stay in the hotel alot, as I went there for pleasure and night life, but any "family" type of stay or relaxation, this would not be the spot.
Generally I would recommend this place to a crowd of 18-28 year olds, and I would stay there again if i got an amazing deal.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank rocsee0911
Dear Rocsee0911,

Thank you for taking the time to provide a detailed review of your stay. We are pleased that the hotel was well suited to your needs. I do apologize for the disappointment you felt towards the size of our guest rooms. We offer several different room categories with a variety of sizes and hope that we can better accommodate you on your next visit.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Chelsea with 6 friends in 5 rooms. Hotel lobby is lovely and check-in was easy. Limo had dropped off our bags earlier and concierge was very efficient at getting them for us. Hotel could do with a bit of a spruce up. Wallpaper was starting to peel in my room and shower head, while functional, was coming apart. I found the bed a bit soft for my taste but others liked theirs. I couldn't seem to get the AC to work in my room so slept with the balcony door open a crack to let some air in (I like to sleep cold).

Nothing really special but a very reasonable stay with a great location for downtown.

Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Argy11669,

Thanks for your review. Pleased to know that your group enjoyed their stay and your check-in process was efficient. I do apologize for the difficulty you had with the heating/cooling unit in your guest room and for the inconvenience this caused throughout the night. I have noted this comment and passed it to our facilities team. We hope to welcome you back again.