“not much has changed”

Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Ranked #61 of 137 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Stayed at the hotel this week as we wanted to see if anything had changed since our last poor visit. Eaton has taken over what was the Delta Chelsea. The reservation was in my wife's name and when I tried to check-in the clerk wouldn't let me. I had to call my wife and have her talk to the clerk before they would let me check in. The clerk, told me she had a room with two double beds for us. I informed her we had reserved a queen. She started to argue with me saying we had requested a queen, but it was only a request and we were getting two doubles. I told her I'm 6'3", why would I ever reserve a double bed. She also said if I wanted a queen or king I would have to pay an extra $30 per night. I finally asked to speak with her manager, she disappeared and came back to say all the managers were in a meeting and I would have to come back later. I told her that was unacceptable and even if the managers were in a meeting someone still had to be in charge. She left again and when she returned said in a very snooty voice that she would need my ID again. She gave me the queen room we had reserved, but was quite curt and anything but friendly the rest of the check-in. There was no sorry for the misunderstanding or we have managed to find you a queen, just a how dare you question me attitude. We have never had this issue at any other hotel we have ever stayed in. There was also no follow up from anyone in management to see if we had been taken care of or to explain the mistake.

The main lobby has been extensively renovated, but it appears the Eaton renovations stopped there. It was the same old, tired room we had experienced with Delta. The balcony was rusty, there was dirt around the edge of the bathroom and in the bathroom corners, the vent in the shower was pulled away from the wall, the fan in the bathroom didn't work, the TV only got about half the channels you would get with any basic cable package and the light on my bedside table was not plugged in and the only way to plug it in would be to move the bed out.

On the good side the bed was comfortable. The clerk we checked out with and the parking attendant were both very friendly. Everything else was just average or below. It is really a shame because only a few years ago this was a great place to stay.

Notes: Parking is $29 per night, this room came with no in room safe, bar fridge or mini bar. The rooms can also be quite noisy as Gerard Street seems to be a route for the nearby St. Mike's Hospital.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 November 2013 via mobile

Good Hotel. Liked the pool and fitness center at the penthouse level. Close to transit. Went and saw hockey hall of fame. While we were there. Hotel restaurant was good also. Rooms were clean, and the staff were very helpful in arranging tour for us and transportation to and from the airport

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We (my husband and I) are both from Toronto, and are now living in the greater Toronto área (west Oakville). It is not always convenient to commute back and forth if we have late meetings or social events in downtown Toronto. Hence we have stayed in a variety of hotels.

We stayed at at this hotel for 2 nights this past week and have already booked for 3 nights in December. It has everything we need, and none of the 5 star frills we don´t need.

Outstanding features: Location, health club and pool, Club floors.

1= The location is legendary, but few have mentioned how central it is to virtually everywhere one would want to go. One can walk, or take public transit easily.

2) Health club and pool. There is an adult section (19 plus) and a family section, on two different floors. . This is excellent for both groups.

3) We booked on Priceline and then upgraded (for $50) to the Club floor because we wanted a King bed. But this upgrade was SO great! Not only do they provide an excellent complimentary buffet breakfast, the afternoon appetizers actually served for our evening meal. In addition, the Club lounge is open from 6 am until midnite with complimentary tea, coffee, hot chocolate, bottle wáter and fruit. They have magazines, newspapers, televisión, and most of all, a cozy lounge where one can relax. They also have a complimentary computer with printer. How good is that?

It is also very nice that if you are in the Club section, you have virtually everything you need within the 3 club floors, including the Adult Pool/Fitness área. It is very cozy. Truly a hotel within a hotel.

We have stayed at a variety of upscale downtown Toronto hotels and boutique hotels, but it is hard to know why one would want more than the Club Floor at the Eaton Chelsea.

Room Tip: We think the Club floor is great value, but if you choose an ordinary room, you mighr want to ask fo...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Located in downtown Toronto, walking distance to many local atrractions on Young street. Staff is very helpful and accomadating. The conference facility is average and caterering is good. Could use some improvement. Unfortunatly they had contruction going on in the holtel since the recent take over by the Eaton group. Issue with minimal elevators running due to a recent power outage. Everthing is moving in the right direction, I would stay here again

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank bb1_stp
Reviewed 19 November 2013

Stayed here with my daughter and we found the hotel to be very good. All the staff were helpful, polite and efficient. The room was clean with all the usual amenities provided. Room was cleaned on a dally basis.
The location is great to access shops, sights and the City Tour Bus. The hotel was busy during our stay but this did not cause any unnecessary delays.
Checked our booking for a pre booked excursion with the concierge desk to find that the contact information we had been given was incorrect but the lady quickly found the correct contact number and confirmed the booking for us. It was also useful to be able to purchase tickets for the City Tour Bus at the hotel.
There are several places to eat in the hotel - the pizzas are delicious, especially if you wait for one to be freshly made.
We used the deposit safe, which was a service provided in a room just off the lobby rather than a safe in the room - this just needed a little forethought as to when to access.
There is a lot of building work nearby but this did not bother us at all.
View from the balcony was excellent.
Transport to the airport leaves from outside the hotel which is very convenient.
There are four entrances which is helpful depending on where you are going to or returning from.
Cannot understand the negative reviews as we enjoyed our stay here.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 November 2013

A group of 9 of us booked 3 rooms within the hotel. We were in the room together for only 10 minutes before Management came barging into our room. Management yelled at us about the noise and number of individuals and asked us to leave at that moment. We were not even loud and it was a very unprofessional experience having the manager BARGE into our room. He did not even call or requested us to be quiet. Worst experience ever - We did not spend over $600 as a group to be yelled at. Terrible service.

Room Tip: Stay away from this hotel - management is the worst.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ESK2013
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2013

Dear ESK2013,

Thank you for your feedback. One of our top priorities is the safety and security of our guests and staff members. Our security team is available 24/7 and is constantly monitoring guests hallways and common areas to ensure noise levels are not being exceeded to the point of disturbing other guests. We have very strict policies when dealing with these issues as it has a great impact on other peoples experience.

Guest Experience Specialist
Eaton Chelsea Toronto

Reviewed 17 November 2013

My husband and I stayed here for the weekend celebrating our birthdays. This is our second stay here and we very much enjoy it and recommend it. Staff and friendly and helpful. They have one of the busiest lobbys I've ever seen but they are very quick getting people through. The view from the pool area is spectacular. My only complaint would be the room was so hot and dry we had to sleep with the balcony door open even with the heat off. We will continue to stay here as it is great value and great location.

• Stayed: November 2013
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2013

Dear Rose J,

Thank you for choosing the Eaton Chelsea for your birthday celebration! We are pleased that you spent this special occasion with us. I have passed your comments to our team for review. We hope we may welcome you back again soon.

Guest Experience Specialist