“Still needs work!” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #58 of 132 Hotels in Toronto
Toronto, Canada
“Still needs work!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

I recently stayed at the Chelsea for business. The hotel has changed ownership in the past few years and has made some improvements - but has a way to go. The room price was actually quite good, but the room itself was tired, with visible wear on the furniture edges and the extra chair in the room. It was visibly clean, but seemed stale and made you wonder if it really was totally clean. The lobby was nice, restaurant bright but extremely over priced. The pub was dark, dirty and out-dated (although the live music was good). Valet parking was exorbitantly priced. I would stay again for business but there are other hotels in the area that cost just a bit more and are worth it.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear WinstonReid,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am truly sorry that you were unable to enjoy yourself while staying with us and that the conditions of your room were not up to standard. We pride ourselves in maintaining a high level of service, and I am sorry but we have failed in this instance. I have sent your comments to our Rooms Division to follow up and I can assure you your feedback has not been taken lightly.

We hope to welcome you back for a much better stay in the near future.

Eaton Chelsea Toronto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Waterloo, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

First time staying here since the change to Eaton from Delta and noticed a new freshness of the lobby décor and self serve dining area. Rooms are still tired and in need of serious updating but are clean. Opted for the bed & breakfast option but none of the staff seemed to know how the breakfast option worked. Still had to wait longer than necessary for valet parking to have the car ready on check out. Bartender was in his own little world and didn't notice us sitting at a clearly visible table for 10 minutes before serving us. Not the best service experience but the location of the hotel is convenient

• 3 of 5 bubbles
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this review, 16 December 2013
Dear WinstonReid,

Thank you for taking the time to review your most recent stay.

I would like to apologize that your experience with us was less than satisfactory. Our goal is to provide exceptional service which creates memories for our guests. I apologize that we failed to provide you an experience that was exceptional. We are currently updating our balconies and we plan to renovate our guest rooms in the new year. I am also truly sorry that you were disappointed with the price of our valet parking. We do feel that our prices are in tune with other competitive downtown market.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back for a much better stay.

Delta Chelsea Hotel
Iroquois, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

I recently stayed at the Chelsea Eaton for business and was hugely impressed. I brought a group in to Toronto for a one day meeting, which required all the participants stay the night prior to the event, and getting a quote from the Chelsea was in my mind just a formality to have comparative bids. I had actually already decided on another property. However on speaking with Rebecca I was offered a price and package that could not be met or bettered by any of the other hotels. Her assistance was simply outstanding and my meeting rolled out perfectly from arrival to departure. No detail was too small for the hotel's attention and the staff was genuinely a pleasure encounter.
The Chelsea, as I recall from its Delta days, has always had a big city/big hotel charm that can't be duplicated in smaller properties but under new management the property just sparkles.The Market Garden is finally the culinary treat it always had the potential to be.The B33 Bistro has a cosmopolitan glamour that makes it not just a convenient place to eat when staying in the hotel but truly a destination of choice. My group had a wonderful evening in the Monarch Pub with live music and a party atmosphere and the quiet lounge was a comfortable oasis for post meeting debriefing over a glass of wine.
The guest rooms were more spacious than remembered and the furnishings and linen were rated quite highly by my meeting participants. I regret not having the time to enjoy the pool and fitness area but I have booked a second meeting in the Chelsea Eaton for next month.
I would also return on pleasure as the location is convenient to both uptown and downtown shopping and an easy walk to the theater district. As an added bonus it is just steps to Elm Street which provides a wealth of dining options.

Dear Brenda K,

Thank you for taking the to post your wonderful review on TripAdvisor.

We are very pleased that you and your colleagues chose Eaton Chelsea Toronto for your business meeting, and that Rebecca was able to provide a rate that met your expectations. I am also truly pleased we were able to accommodate you with exceptional service from check in to check out, and that you enjoyed our BB33 and Market Garden restaurant. We look forward to welcoming you back next month for another fantastic stay and a chance for you to enjoy our swimming pool!

Columbus, Indiana, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2013

We got this hotel on a Priceline bid, and after reading some of the negative reviews, we were more than a little worried about what to expect. It was wonderful. The room had obviously been renovated recently...very clean and comfortable. The location is great for seeing and getting around in downtown Toronto and only a few blocks from the Hop-On/Hop-Off bus terminal. We would definitely stay here again and recommend to others.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear OtleyandFatca,

Thank you for posting your review.

I am happy that your stay with us was pleasant and you enjoyed the hotels location to the Hop-On/Hop-Off bus stop. It is always wonderful to hear about our guests stays, as this helps our journey to continuously improve the level of service we are providing to our guests. We look forward to seeing again soon!

Cleveland, Ohio
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

I had booked my two rooms months in advance. I was worried, though, that the rooms would not be connected and I was planning on housing my children in one room and my husband and myself in the other. I was assured the rooms would be adjoining, but I was told that the rooms would be both with twin beds. I was assured over and over that no king bed rooms adjoined to a double bed room. YUCKY. I wanted to be able to sleep in the same bed as my husband during our trip, but that did not seem to be possible. I even called an hour outside of the city to make sure that this was not a possibility, and was again told that no such set up existed at the hotel. When I arrived, however, I was told that, of course, I could get a king bed room adjoined to a double for an upgraded fee. Needless to say, I was annoyed. I would have had no problem paying the extra fee months ago or even weeks ago when I first booked the room, but at this point in the game, I felt I had been lied to over and over and I was miffed.

I was told that I could speak to a manager about this, but he was at lunch. Chris, the manager, contacted me when he was done with lunch and told me that he would upgrade me to the room I had been requesting for months free of charge. This made me happy. After all, my entire family comes to Toronto multiple times a year and we ALWAYS have stayed at this hotel. I explained that to Chris who looked up my account to confirm our frequent visits. At that point he saw that the last time we booked a room at this hotel we were upgraded to a suite. Not looking further into it, I assume he thought we had been given the upgrade for free. We had not, but either way, he told me...I will change your rooms this time, but you will "never be given an upgrade in this hotel again."

hmmm... after coming to the same hotel for over 18 years, and always booking 2 to 4 rooms, I would think that this manager would have not chosen such words with me. In addition, I would have paid for my upgrade had they told me that was an option in the five or so times I called to ask for it prevously. This statement left me offended. When I asked to speak to Chris later that day, he again was on break so we could not discuss the offense.

Putting aside this issue, I found other aspects of the hotel that need attention. For one, valet parking was $44.00 a day. I found this to be excessive. Furthermore, the children's pool with the slide... our reason for skipping nap time... was again disappointing. This hotel no longer operates the slide except on weekends and only during certain hours. We had arrived on Wednesday!

Despite never actually staying at any other hotel in Toronto because we were devoted to the Chelsea, I will sadly book my family Toronto vacations elsewhere..

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank mmaglo
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Dear mmaglo,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a review on your most recent stay. I would like to apologize that the offer to upgrade the rooms to suite your request was not offered until your arrival and I can certainly understand your disappointment in the way in which the manager approached the situation. This is not the intended level of service we are aiming to provide. Your comments have been shared with the management team for review. I hope that we may have the opportunity to welcome you back.

Eaton Chelsea Toronto

Travellers are raving about these Toronto hotels

Harriston, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

We were a little concerned as this was our first time at the Eaton Chelsea (since the change-over from Delta Chelsea) and worried that there might be a lot of changes. We were thrilled that the same friendly and accommodating staff were there to look after our needs. We had a fabulous meal in the B33 Bistro. Love the hotel location as it is in the heart of downtown Toronto, within walking distance of the Eaton Centre.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
Dear Review352,

Thank you very much for taking the time to provide some feedback on your first stay with us as the Eaton Chelsea Toronto. It is great to learn of your experience and that you enjoyed the refreshed look of our lobby and restaurants but still enjoyed seeing all the familiar faces you have come to know. We hope you will visit again soon!

Kingston, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 December 2013

Not a fan of change, I was pretty sad to see the Delta Chelsea become the Eaton Chelsea earlier this year. As a regular guest for almost 20 years it has been my go to hotel in Toronto. What I discovered was the Eaton brand, via the Langham Properties knows how to get it done! An amazing make over in the lobby and main restaurant, small touches in the rooms and a traveler recognition program that is outstanding. The staff continue to be some of the best in the country, the rates competitive (and more often than not a great value) and the Eaton extras are outstanding. If you are visiting Toronto, for business or pleasure you can't beat the Eaton Chelsea.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Dear Goin'solo,

We would firstly like to thank you for your years of loyalty to the Chelsea, and we are so pleased you have chosen to keep staying with us through our brand transition. Thank you for your feedback regarding our updated lobby and restaurants. It is great to learn that your stay was most enjoyable. I will be sure to share this feedback with the staff.
We eagerly await your next visit and the opportunity to welcome you back once again.