“Location and Quality”

Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Ranked #60 of 138 Hotels in Toronto
Reviewed 28 December 2013

I stayed in the hotel for a business trip. I originally purchased the room online via priceline and was able to upgrade for an extra $35 at the time of check-in. The rooms were clean and spacious. The lobby is very modern and clean.

Room Tip: There is a airport shuttle that stops in front of the hotel.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear fashionfinds,

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to learn that your overall experience was enjoyable. We hope to welcome you back in the future!

Eaton Chelsea Toronto

Write a ReviewReviews (6,686)

Reviewed 25 December 2013

As this hotel used to be the Delta, it is not the same.

My stay has not finished yet but I had to write this review now that it is still fresh. First off this used to be the Delta Chelsea and when I stayed here as the Delta every single review was 5/5. Upon check in, first the 1865 supposedly privilage desk was CLOSED so we had to go to the regular check in desk (what's the point) then the GSA was very slow and not very educated on what to do with the computer and could not answer my questions in full; she had to leave twice to get answers. I appreciate her doing so, but when it's Christmas eve I am just anxious to get to my room. I requested a crib and fridge, that came in time and was great thank you.

Now throughout the night there was a terrible, terrible loud noise I think it was the ventilation system OMG, I thought it was a plane engine every time, it was loud, I couldn't sleep and it is a major disturbance every time it comes on.

Breakfast was disappointing usually we ate in the Bb33 restaurant, but this time it was closed, so we were told to eat at the Market Garden which is more like a common eating place and not as nice ambiance as Bb33 - was like I still had to go up to the cashier to cash out my food, but had to assign it to my room, I did not like that, bc a breakfast buffet, I am used to just getting my food and sitting down, I dunno why Bb33 was closed, major inconvenience. Was just too busy, loud and there was no catering to for drinks and such so there was no Tip left...\

Also DOGS, i dunno where this allowance came about, but there are folks here with dogs and these dogs are loud and omg, I cannot deal with the noise of the barking, I don't think dogs should be allowed, for hygiene reasons and courtesy reasons, so, not impressed at all, service here is so so...I don't think I will be staying here anymore...sorry Eaton, but Delta had things in better order.

Room Tip: just choose for your preference, rooms are ok
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this reviewResponded 27 December 2013

Dear miskay27,

You can trust that the information you provide is helping us on our journey to continuously improve the level of service we are providing to our guests. We were disappointed to hear your stay with us was unsatisfactory and not up to standards like in previous years. We can assure you we strive to make our guest stays most enjoyable, and clearly we have failed in this instance. I am sorry for the wait during check in, as well as the annual closure of some of our facilities. We are a pet friendly hotel, and I am truly sorry you experienced an excessive amount of noise form this. We have our security team monitor the floors and public areas to avoid situations such as this. I have sent your comments to our Guest Services to follow up on areas of concern.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

We are staying at the Easton right now thru Christmas. Its a very nice property in the perfect location. The rooms are very clean and the loby is very nice, with some great dining / drinking options. The rooms are large and spacious and clean with nice appointments.

However there are some large drawbacks here currently. We arrived and had to wait for about 35 minutes to check in, that wasn't that big of an issue, but when we got to the desk we were informed that, 2 hours after the check in time they did not have any king rooms clean yet, which was what we reserved. They bumped us down to the queen but did not compensate us in any way.

After we got into our downgraded room we went to check out the great pool and fitness center this hotel hypes. Turns out its completely closed right now, this would be a great point to mention to people when reserving rooms or checking in. Very shady business. They told us that there was a family kids pool on a lower level that was available and a temporary fitness center. A far cry from what was advertised.

They did have a sign posted that it was adults only from 9-12am. We went down at 9:45, kids everywhere. We asked a staff person when the adults only started, he looked at the clock and said 9:00, then looked at all the kids, laughed and walked off. Not exactly what we would expect.

If these issues were fixed then I could see giving them 4-5 stars, but their location is the only thing getting them to 3.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Adam B

Dear Adam B,

Thank you for posting your review online.

I am sorry for the wait you endured trying to check in, and can certainly imagine your disappointment. There was an unexpected citywide power outage and alot of our guests came to stay at the hotel to keep warm and safe during the holidays. I would also like to apologize for the annual closure of our Deck 27 and the customer service you received from our Recreation Team. I will send your comments to the appropriate departments, as I can assure you this does not represent the service we aim to give our guests.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

We live in Toronto, but found ourselves at the Eaton Chelsea due to the ice storm and power outage. This was my first stay since the property became the Eaton Chelsea. Wow. The lobby is unbelievable, just a huge improvement. The multiple exits are incredibly convenient. The king bed and pillows were awesome. The bathrooms are not modern, but are clean and functional.

My understanding is that in addition to the storm bringing hundreds of unexpected guests, the hotel itself was short staffed. The lone bartender in this huge hotel was on his second consecutive shift, yet he was always one step ahead of anticipating our needs, and was a huge part of our enjoyable evening. This dedication was repeatedly demonstrated throughout our stay. Every staff member from front desk, concierge, housekeeping, managers and service staff was excellent. It's clearly apparent that guest experience is a top priority for the hotel.
We left feeling we underpaid for such an excellent experience that took place in a less than optimal situation.

While we hadn't anticipated this stay, we came away with such a great experience that we plan to return in the new year. The price, pet policy, location, comfy beds and excellent customer experience have made this my hotel of choice in downtown Toronto.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jen E

Dear Jen E,

Thank you for posting your review on TripAdvisor.

I was thrilled to learn your stay with us was excellent, and we were able to accommodate you and your family during the citywide power outage. We are very happy your room was up to standards and you plan on staying with us again in the new year but under better circumstances.

We look forward to seeing you soon!

Reviewed 22 December 2013

Stayed two nights with four children under 7 (two in their grandparents' room). Lobby was nicely decorated for Xmas and Santa Claus was there :) The children were greeted with a bag of bath toys and small books. Room and hallways were spotless, taps in bathtub were a little older but worked fine. Beds were comfortable, room was a bit small but average for downtown T.O. The kids' facilities were awesome, my kids had a great time in the playroom/ craft centre though it was right by the pool and very warm in there. Family pool was clean and well-maintained, lifejackets were provided which was handy for the little ones, and my eldest enjoyed the waterslide. A small billing issue was resolved with great customer service from front desk staff. All in all very satisfied and will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: We were in a room ending in -58 and there was a little noise from the elevator shaft, might want to...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback from your recent stay. You can trust that this information is important to us and used to improve services. We are pleased that your overall experience was most enjoyable and the staff you encountered provided friendly service. We could not be happier you chose to stay with us during the holiday season.

Once again I would like to thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel soon.

Reviewed 22 December 2013

We stayed at the Eaton Chelsea when we were in town to attend a company Christmas function. We found the location perfect for getting to and from the party and shopping. The room was quiet and the bed comfortable. However, we did not have breakfast at the hotel as we found even the simple items on the menu to be overpriced.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Dear Londonjohnsons,

Thank you for the feedback from your most recent stay. We are pleased that our locations and services are well suited for your needs when visiting Toronto. I would like to apologize for the disappointment you felt with the prices on our breakfast menu, and will send your comments to our Food and Beverage Department. We look forward to your next visit and the opportunity to welcome you back.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Spent a week here for a city break in Toronto as other reviewers have mentioned the rooms are tired looking and in need of massive refurbishment, i can appreciate that the hotel will be undergoing a huge update program and if the lobby is anything to go by it will be fabulous.
I had a corner room on the 19th Floor overlooking Yonge Street the room was clean well heated and the beds comfortable.
The hotel staff were polite and very helpful,the location is central and everything is within walking distance. I would stay here again after the refurb is completed. Did i enjoy my stay i can say i did, its not over the top in price to stay here and for a city hotel it ticks all the boxes.Look forward to returning to see what an updated Eaton Chelsea Hotel looks like.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Globalbum,

Thank you for posting you review on TripAdvisor.

I am very happy to hear that you had an exceptional stay with us, and the lobby renovations were to your liking. We are planning to start renovations on our guest rooms in the new year and we are very excited to have them completed.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the new year and another great stay!

Alistair Innes