“Eaton chelsea hotel”

Chelsea Hotel, Toronto
Ranked #60 of 132 Hotels in Toronto

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Toronto, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2014

Let me first start by saying that I live in Toronto. I was taking some kids to the Monster Trucks on Sunday at the Rogers centre and decided why not make a trip out of it and stay in downtown toronto at a hotel and have a mini vacation in our own city. What a horrible idea! I found eaton chelsea on the web and by all the pictures and details and reviews, I decided this would the best place to take the kids. First I was given a 1970's one bedroom suite that cost $239.00 before tax. I was told there were no balcony's, yet when I walked outside i noticed the renovated side...all had blaconys. When we first arrived there was drilling directly above me for almost 2 hours. We complained of course and we received $50 off our room and some hand full of candy's brought up to our room. WoW! Then because the big family pool was closed.... again reno's....everyone was crammed into a small adult pool. My daughter couldnt even swim. Not happy! Then when we returned to our room my daughter was thirsty, I went to look for a pop machine and there was none. Called the front desk and was basically told I was crazy, of course there was a pop machine on our floor. I walked around the whole floor and there was nothing!!!! When I called to complain, she said "well just go to another floor then"! So rude! I did go down one floor and finally found one. But what kind of service is this!! Then we couldnt get any cartoon channels for the kids to watch for when they went to bed. We called the front desk again and we were told they were having problems with the cable. I was also told my package included buffet breakfast and then in the morning was told, no I just had like a quick serve breakfast. Complained about that too, so eventually we got our buffet breakfast. It just felt as though, from the time I walked in, to the time I left I had to argue about every little thing. Underground parking was so dam creepy too, steep hills to go down and very tight parking spaces. I for one, will never stay here again. Renovation's finished or not! Way to big, rude staff, too expensive, etc... In Niagara I can get a 2 bedroom suite, free parking, free breakfast, dinner voucher, 2 big pools, and Great service. No wonder Toronto's Travel and Tourism is doing so badly. Thanks for ruining my one night away in Toronto, Eaton Chelsea!!!! :(

Room Tip: Do not book unless you know what kind of room you are getting, 100%. Never mind that. Dont stay here...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Leanne H
Gatineau, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

For 129 $ a night in dowtown Toronto, this was a very good hotel.

Stayed there on business for 1 night. The lobby was big and modern, and the 4 restaurants/lounges were appealing.

Staff was very helpful.

The room was clean and modern. Free wifi and confortable bed. Flat screen tv, desk and chair. It was tiny though. Very small. With my carry-on size suitcase open in the closet, the closet doors wouldn't close!! Bathroom is a bathtub shower, toilet and sink. The view on downtown Toronto was nice. I could hear a bit of hallway noise, but not too much.

I ordered room service and was very impressed. The selection was OK, the prices were fine, but mostly, it arrived still hot with a glass of iced water. The waiter was very nice and courteous.

Had a quick coffee (3 $) and croissant (4 $) in their 'cafeteria' style restaurant. Starbucks would have been better, but I was in a hurry.

The adult pool was small, but it had a hottub as well, and the chairs were confortable. I liked the setting.

So overall, for the price and on business, I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Alistair I, Manager at Chelsea Hotel, Toronto, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear Zaz936,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Eaton Chelsea Toronto. It is great to know that the location and amenities offered truly made your stay. I have passed your comments to the appropriate departments and you can trust that this information is used to improve services and let our staff know how they are doing. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in future.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

This hotel is conveniently located in downtown Toronto. I found that there was a contrast in its facilities - the public lobby and restaurant areas at the entrance seemed well kept and quite classy; the staff was helpful and friendly. On the other hand, however, the elevators are in need of a facelift and a good cleaning. On the floor where I was, the carpets were not that clean. I was there for two nights, and all that time, there were cups and glasses lying on the floor in the corridors. There was also a lot of noise during the night. It seemed to come from intoxicated guests, often using quite obscene language. For a short stay, i would recommend this hotel, but not for a long family stay.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
Dear MsTraveller48,

Thank you for taking the time to provide comments on your recent stay. I apologize that the condition of the hotel facilities outside the lobby were a disappointment. I can assure you that this is not the level of quality we are aiming to provide our guests. I have shared your comments with our housekeeping department. We hope that you will visit us again and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 January 2014

We stayed at the Eaton Chelsea for two nights during the Ice Storm in Toronto as we had no power. The hotel was amazing at accommodating the large numbers of distressed guests staying during this period even on a hotel staff schedule. The Market Garden for B-fast, lunch and dinner was a welcome treat from the cold sandwiches eaten when the power went out. Special shout out to Isis and Corbin in the Children's Centre for entertaining my young daughter. Also, thank you Denise for helping find a suitable meal for my daughters picky palate.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Dear MEAL27,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review from your recent stay. Although under unfortunate circumstances it was great that we were able to open our doors to those in Toronto without power. I hope that the storm did not disrupt your holidays and was returned shortly. We look forward to the next opportunity to welcome you back!

toronto
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 January 2014

This is my second visit to this Toronto hotel..I try to be informative when writing on trip advisor so as to give the people reading a good perspective on what this hotel is about..in my opinion...the good....the staff is super friendly , courteous, and helpful...5 stars all the way..i don't care what the negative reviews say, in life, its all about how you treat people and that is what youlle get back.i found the room the second time around to be very small and claustrophobic, so i tried to go on the balcony and it was locked.( under construction) i called front desk and the girl was more than willing to switch rooms for me..i refused, ( too tired) but i found them to be very accommodating and friendly..also, the lobby was very very nice and modern..the location also good, and there is a starbucks nearby...:)the beds were comfy..and the price was right,,i think 118 ....the bad,,,,,,noisy outside interference,,due to construction mostly....the room like i said was very small( but you get what you pay for), i recall having a much better room before, so do your homework...the parking was expensive but I've paid up to 200 per night for parking so, suck up the 29 bucks..aint so bad i guess..the bathroom, extremely small...and the shower head was not working right and couldn't get a decent stream,wasn't very hot either...(i like a scorcher shower),the wallpaper coming off and overall a very "dingy" appearance..like i said though, get an upgraded room....hope this helps..i m laughing because i actually took the time to write all this...very slow morning...:)

Room Tip: upgrade the room...or you may get an older small room....:)
1 Thank Johnny N
London, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

We stayed here because it is very close to the hospital to which we had a doctors appt at.
NOTE: if you have a note from the doctor's office stating who you are seeing and on what day you can get a medical rate for your room and a parking rate of $14.

Parking info worth knowing:
Well our reservation stated that their underground parking only accommodated vehicles that were 5'6, which is very confusing seeing as most vehicles are that high or higher but it didn't clarify if it was height or width of the vehicle. We phoned and spoke to someone in the parking department the day we were leaving to come to Toronto to inquire about which vehicle we could fit in parking. They stated if we wanted to bring our bigger vehicle that was okay as they had parking for larger vehicles at the front, and if there wasn't any room there was an open parking lot beside the hotel that we can use. Well when we got there they forgot to mention that the only parking for larger vehicles was valet parking for $39/night. We informed them that we phoned ahead of time and what they stated but the woman at the front desk didn't offer any solution for us. We were here for medical reasons and it's already a stressful situation, so it would have been nice for the employees to be properly trained to give full information to customers.
Upon check-out the next day I brought this up to another woman at the front desk in hopes that she could be more useful with this situaiton, she ended up getting the front manager which gave us $15 off our parking. We still paid $10 more for parking than what we originally should have but at least the manager listened to our situaiton and did something about the matter. The manager also explained that the parking is only 5'6 wide even though the 4 staff we asked about this previously said it was the height measurement (which was totally confusing). In general, I don't feel the customer should be penalized a $39 valet fee for the fact that your building doesn't offer suitable parking, and at very least the staff should be trained to fully inform customers of their options seeing as your parking is somewhat unusual.

Room:
We asked for one of their 'renovated' rooms, well we got room 2367 and it absolutely reeked of room spray. It was so bad we had to open up the balcony door just to try and air it out even though it was -10 out.
Overall the room was okay, nothing special and definitely wouldn't probably stay here for any other reason besides the convenient location for our situaiton. The bed was comfortable and all other amenities were basically standard.... didn't really look too renovated to me, so I have no idea what the unrenovated looks like...eek!
The tub and shower definitely wasn't renovated but the water pressure and temp was good so that was the main thing. I will say there were cracks in the corners of some of the walls and small hole in the wall in the bathroom.

We didn't eat here or use the pool facilities so I can't comment on that. I will say that the lobby of this hotel looks absolutely incredible.... it's just too bad they haven't invested maybe a bit more money on their room updates.
We would stay again if needed though it would only be because of their location which is close to what we needed for this stay, but in general is pretty close to downtown and only a couple of blocks from the Eaton Centre.